2020-2021 Albany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same for me- finished supplemental on 7/29. I checked at 8:00AM PST and everything was still pending, but I was just able to finalize rn (11:00AM PST). So check again :)
I submitted 7/29 too but it still says my LORs haven't been received... but every other school has them, so I know it's not on my end. Should I just be patient?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted on 7/31 and as of this morning (8/4) everything is marked as "yes" except my MCAT? It says "yes" next to MCAT planned and "no" next to MCAT received, but I took my MCAT back in June and all other schools have had my scores for a while now. Anyone else have this issue? Should I send them an email?

Wanted to chime in, last year I felt like I waited FOREVER to receive a secondary. I watched this forum go through a few pages of people getting it and being able to finalize it before I received mine.

I still interviewed on the first day of the season. LM 70, so there was absolutely nothing stellar about me. Just give it some time y’all, you have a long year ahead.

Reactions: 6 users
Can anyone who did get a secondary share the questions? Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wanted to chime in, last year I felt like I waited FOREVER to receive a secondary. I watched this forum go through a few pages of people getting it and being able to finalize it before I received mine.

I still interviewed on the first day of the season. LM 70, so there was absolutely nothing stellar about me. Just give it some time y’all, you have a long year ahead.
That helps a lot so thank you and congrats on getting into the class of 2024/becoming a doctor. If you don't mind answering, what was your impression of Albany's students/campus/professors when you interviewed?

I'm really confused about letters of recommendations in general. I have a committee letter that is NOT a letter packet, just an individual letter about the school without the input of other recommenders. I also have 5 other individual letters from professors, a physician, supervisor etc. Since the requirements are either a committee letter OR 2-4 individual letters, can I submit my committee letter and 3 of my individual letters? Or do I have to choose btwn the committee letter and the individual letters? I know other schools prefer committee letters too and I'm just confused what it means.

I'm really confused about letters of recommendations in general. I have a committee letter that is NOT a letter packet, just an individual letter about the school without the input of other recommenders. I also have 5 other individual letters from professors, a physician, supervisor etc. Since the requirements are either a committee letter OR 2-4 individual letters, can I submit my committee letter and 3 of my individual letters? Or do I have to choose btwn the committee letter and the individual letters? I know other schools prefer committee letters too and I'm just confused what it means.

How did your school go about writing your committee letter? I know some schools factor in input from individual letters. If you had to choose, I would probably send the committee letter.

How did your school go about writing your committee letter? I know some schools factor in input from individual letters. If you had to choose, I would probably send the committee letter.

Thanks for the suggestion. The school wrote the letter without the input of any other recommenders like the committee didn't even ask what other rec letters we're getting. It's just general info about the school and its curriculum and we filled out an info sheet about our ECs and why medicine. I think I will email admissions

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the suggestion. The school wrote the letter without the input of any other recommenders like the committee didn't even ask what other rec letters we're getting. It's just general info about the school and its curriculum and we filled out an info sheet about our ECs and why medicine. I think I will email admissions

Huh, interesting. Is there an option to send both? Reaching out to admissions is a good idea.

Huh, interesting. Is there an option to send both? Reaching out to admissions is a good idea.

Well technically you could send up to 10 letters to each school through AMCAS and I guess each school decides which ones they read. Still waiting on a response from admissions so we'll see.

For the question that asks: Please select the experience that you feel has been the most meaningful in influencing your desire to pursue a career in medicine, explain why, and also describe what aspect of that experience best equips you to make an impact in the medical profession, I'm leaning towards writing about one of my activities that I didn't put as a "most meaningful activity" on my primary in an effort to not be redundant. Is this frowned upon? Should it be a further elaboration of one of the 3 most meaningful activities?

For the question that asks: Please select the experience that you feel has been the most meaningful in influencing your desire to pursue a career in medicine, explain why, and also describe what aspect of that experience best equips you to make an impact in the medical profession, I'm leaning towards writing about one of my activities that I didn't put as a "most meaningful activity" on my primary in an effort to not be redundant. Is this frowned upon? Should it be a further elaboration of one of the 3 most meaningful activities?
I picked an activity that I didn’t put as most meaningful in my primary. Hopefully that’s fine ‍ :/

Reactions: 1 users
I am trying to "Finalize" my application but I can't click the button...I paid the supplemental fee but it still says it is pending for some reason. All other documents have been received (LORs, MCAT, etc.). Anyone else experiencing this issue?

I am trying to "Finalize" my application but I can't click the button...I paid the supplemental fee but it still says it is pending for some reason. All other documents have been received (LORs, MCAT, etc.). Anyone else experiencing this issue?
Happened to me. It took 2ish days for it to stop pending to then click finalize. The processing doesn’t seem to be immediate.

For the Covid-19 question, would it be wrong to address the outbreak as a global pandemic instead of an epidemic? Are they trying to emphasize how this outbreak has impacted medicine in the U.S only, or am I overthinking this question?

For the Covid-19 question, would it be wrong to address the outbreak as a global pandemic instead of an epidemic? Are they trying to emphasize how this outbreak has impacted medicine in the U.S only, or am I overthinking this question?

I used the words "global pandemic" should be fine

Thank God they sent the reminder to hit "finalize" because I completely forgot. I'm not sure when I became eligible to hit finalize since I submitted my secondary on 8/2, but I'm worried I hit it too late...

Thank God they sent the reminder to hit "finalize" because I completely forgot. I'm not sure when I became eligible to hit finalize since I submitted my secondary on 8/2, but I'm worried I hit it too late...

Submitted my secondary on 7/28 and just hit "finalize" now...definitely worried

• Care
Submitted my secondary on 7/28 and just hit "finalize" now...definitely worried

I'm hoping they realized a bunch of people forgot (because really, why do they even have a finalize button that you can't hit until a few days after you submit your secondary when you're drowning in other secondaries) and aren't going to hold it against us -hence their email.

I was able to hit "finalize" but is there anything on the status page that confirms it is officially submitted? I have a "yes" next to
Application complete and ready for review by our Admissions Committee

I was able to hit "finalize" but is there anything on the status page that confirms it is officially submitted? I have a "yes" next to
Application complete and ready for review by our Admissions Committee

I have that also, we should be fine.

might be weird question but for the "describe yourself" prompt, are y'all going simple w things about yourself or like?

might be weird question but for the "describe yourself" prompt, are y'all going simple w things about yourself or like?
I used a very short version of my diversity essay + some description of my hobbies and non-medical interests!

Did you hear back from admissions on this one? I also have a committee letter without a letter packet and had 4 other letters sent separately.

Has anyone else not received a secondary? My primary was verified last week and I have heard back from most of my other schools.