2020-2021 Case Western Reserve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello @CWRU.Sman I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure if this is allowed to be asked, but when do you anticipate II's beginning?
We've pushed back the timeline of our entire application cycle this year to accommodate those taking late MCATs due to delays/cancellations. We haven't even started screening yet (but will soon). II's won't go out until the end of August and interviews for the University Program begin on Sept 14th. We figured that we could wait a little longer to get the II's out and build in a little more delay in screening because no one will need time to make travel arrangements. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Oh man, I submitted a while ago but now I really wish I used that first essay for "Why Case" - I apologize in advance for any repetition, haha. But also, thanks for being so active on this thread and for the podcast, it's amazing and super appreciated!
Haha - Don't worry. That's OK. The fact that you apply indicates an interest in our School! We know that there are over 150 schools out there so putting us on your list is flattering. Thanks! And thanks for the listening to my podcast! I'm glad you like it! I have a lot of fun putting it together.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
@CWRU.Sman for the MSTP secondary, if we wrote a blurb for the describe your research question, will the adcoms only read that blurb or the primary as well? I'm a bit confused by the instructions and how we can write please see primary instead of an essay.
Are you applying to MSTP only?

Members don't see this ad :)
We've pushed back the timeline of our entire application cycle this year to accommodate those taking late MCATs due to delays/cancellations. We haven't even started screening yet (but will soon). II's won't go out until the end of August and interviews for the University Program begin on Sept 14th. We figured that we could wait a little longer to get the II's out and build in a little more delay in screening because no one will need time to make travel arrangements. ;)
Thank you so much! Glad y'all are doing this :)

Hi @CWRU.Sman ! How will you be incorporating the AAMC VITA for IIs? I saw that CWRU is one of the participating schools for VITA. Will all students receiving IIs need to complete VITA in addition to the traditional interview? And will VITA be sent to students not yet invited to interviews?

@CWRU.Sman I was wondering if you review applications in order of submission? I'm submitting my secondary in a few days to perfect my essays and don't want submitting past the 2 week recommendation to be the reason for a rejection...

The Admissions Committee members see all essays because we are the admissions committee for the entire School of Medicine and approve the decisions of CCLCM and MSTP. University Program screeners won't see your CCLCM essays.

So I had been planning to do a "Why Case" essay for the first prompt, but I am also planning to apply to CCLCM. Knowing that the University and College program are very different in what they offer, would it not be awkward if I answer "Why Case" for the University program? Do people ever use it as a space to explain their interests in both programs separately? Thank you and sorry for the convoluted question :)

For the research essay, does it have to be a completed project or can it be ongoing?

I conducted an independent behavioral neuro project in college, but I honestly find the research I'm currently doing more interesting and relevant to what I wanna do in the future. The issue is that it's still an ongoing project... and we don't have conclusive results yet.

Last edited:
For the research essay, does it have to be a completed project or can it be ongoing?

I conducted an independent behavioral neuro project in college, but I honestly find the research I'm currently doing more interesting and relevant to what I wanna do in the future. The issue is that it's still an ongoing project... and we don't have conclusive results yet.

I wrote about my graduate dissertation which is still ongoing -- so I would write about the project you're most passionate about

So I had been planning to do a "Why Case" essay for the first prompt, but I am also planning to apply to CCLCM. Knowing that the University and College program are very different in what they offer, would it not be awkward if I answer "Why Case" for the University program? Do people ever use it as a space to explain their interests in both programs separately? Thank you and sorry for the convoluted question :)
Sure you can you use the optional essay to share your interest in the University Program. It won't be awkward. You could also use it to talk about what attracts you to both programs. You could also be more general as to what attracts you to CWRU since both programs are under the same umbrella - research opps, hospitals, community, innovation, stuff like that. Like I said in another response to a post on here, we know that you're interested because you are submitting an application. Something like what you're talking about writing won't hurt.

Reactions: 1 users
@CWRU.Sman I was wondering if you review applications in order of submission? I'm submitting my secondary in a few days to perfect my essays and don't want submitting past the 2 week recommendation to be the reason for a rejection...
Not always. We haven't even started screening yet (but will soon). It's very a different application cycle so we're going to stay flexible as to how we approach our screening processes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi @CWRU.Sman ! How will you be incorporating the AAMC VITA for IIs? I saw that CWRU is one of the participating schools for VITA. Will all students receiving IIs need to complete VITA in addition to the traditional interview? And will VITA be sent to students not yet invited to interviews?
Hi - If you are invited to interview at any one of our 3 MD programs, it will trigger an invitation from the AAMC/HireVue requesting that you complete a VITA. For CWRU, you have to be invited for an in-person virtual interview. So, yes, you'll have to both. The invitations for VITA from AAMC/HireVue will only be going out once a week on Thursdays, so don't freak out if you're invited for an interview at CWRU on a Monday and don't get a VITA interview invite right away. We just posted info about how we're going to use VITA on our website that can be found under "Application Process". I hope this helps.

If you are invited for a VITA interview earlier in the cycle by another med school participating in VITA and then you hear from CWRU for an interview later on, you don't have to do VITA again. You will only do the VITA interview one time. So, if you are invited to interview at 4 VITA schools you only have to do VITA one time and all 4 schools will have access to the same recorded interview. I hope this makes sense.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi - If you are invited to interview at any one of our 3 MD programs, it will trigger an invitation from the AAMC/HireVue requesting that you complete a VITA. For CWRU, you have to be invited for an in-person virtual interview. So, yes, you'll have to both. The invitations for VITA from AAMC/HireVue will only be going out once a week on Thursdays, so don't freak out if you're invited for an interview at CWRU on a Monday and don't get a VITA interview invite right away. We just posted info about how we're going to use VITA on our website that can be found under "Application Process". I hope this helps.

If you are invited for a VITA interview earlier in the cycle by another med school participating in VITA and then you hear from CWRU for an interview later on, you don't have to do VITA again. You will only do the VITA interview one time. So, if you are invited to interview at 4 VITA schools you only have to do VITA one time and all 4 schools will have access to the same recorded interview. I hope this makes sense.
Can you explain the adcom team's perspective on VITA? Why did you choose to use it (and add yet another hoop we applicants have to jump through)? What are you hoping to get out of it? Do you anticipate this being a thing for future application cycles too?

Reactions: 3 users
The VITA interviews will be used as a supplement to our usual interview day evaluations. Given that our interview day interactions will be virtual this year, we felt this would be an additional way for us to get to know and learn more about an applicant. You have to understand that on a traditional, in-person interview day (back in the pre-COVID days), our admissions team members would spend almost the entire day with our applicants. Also, med students spent portions of the day with our applicants. All of these formal and informal interactions are important to us. We know that we're not going to be able to replicate all of these interactions by virtual means and we don't want to try and replicate an 8 hour interview day via Zoom. That would be painful for both of us. Additionally, we recognize that there may be students that may not have access to reliable internet for the entirety of our virtual interview day agenda and we may need to conduct phone interviews, if necessary, with applicants with limited tech resources. VITA would provide us an additional resource to "meet" and hear from the applicant.

I can't say if we will be using it for future cycles because we haven't yet used the tool. I'm sorry that you see it as another "hoop." We get it. These are not easy times and we're all dealing with new changes. Please assume good intentions from us just as we assume good intentions from you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
The VITA interviews will be used as a supplement to our usual interview day evaluations. Given that our interview day interactions will be virtual this year, we felt this would be an additional way for us to get to know and learn more about an applicant. You have to understand that on a traditional, in-person interview day (back in the pre-COVID days), our admissions team members would spend almost the entire day with our applicants. Also, med students spent portions of the day with our applicants. All of these formal and informal interactions are important to us. We know that we're not going to be able to replicate all of these interactions by virtual means and we don't want to try and replicate an 8 hour interview day via Zoom. That would be painful for both of us. Additionally, we recognize that there may be students that may not have access to the reliable internet for the entirety of our virtual interview day agenda and we may need to conduct phone interviews, if necessary, with applicants with limited tech resources. VITA would provide us an additional resource to "meet" and hear from the applicant.

I can't say if we will be using it for future cycles because we haven't yet used the tool. I'm sorry that you see it as another "hoop." We get it. These are not easy times and we're all dealing with new changes. Please assume good intentions from us just as we assume good intentions from you.
Thank you for this! It's very refreshing to hear an admissions perspective on VITA since a lot of us are still in the dark.

I would say that, yes, we have a very inclusive community and value intersectionality. We have a very active student group called CaseMed Pride. We've always hosted a welcome session for our LGBTQ students for 2nd Look Weekend. We ask on our secondary application if the applicant would like to disclose if they identify as LGBTQ, if so, we will put them in contact with some of our current students if they are accepted (btw, no one has access to the response to this question during the admissions process). This year, we're going to host monthly virtual "meet and greets" for any of our interviewees that want to meet current med students from our Pride group. All of our Admissions Team has gone through Safe Zone training. Finally, the med school and students work with and have access to the university's LBGT center which has been recognized for their work on-campus. All four of our hospital partners have dedicated clinics for our LGBTQ community as well. I hope this helps.

Reactions: 6 users
The VITA interviews will be used as a supplement to our usual interview day evaluations. Given that our interview day interactions will be virtual this year, we felt this would be an additional way for us to get to know and learn more about an applicant. You have to understand that on a traditional, in-person interview day (back in the pre-COVID days), our admissions team members would spend almost the entire day with our applicants. Also, med students spent portions of the day with our applicants. All of these formal and informal interactions are important to us. We know that we're not going to be able to replicate all of these interactions by virtual means and we don't want to try and replicate an 8 hour interview day via Zoom. That would be painful for both of us. Additionally, we recognize that there may be students that may not have access to reliable internet for the entirety of our virtual interview day agenda and we may need to conduct phone interviews, if necessary, with applicants with limited tech resources. VITA would provide us an additional resource to "meet" and hear from the applicant.

A fair, and reasonable response. Thank you very much!

I would say that, yes, we have a very inclusive community and value intersectionality. We have a very active student group called CaseMed Pride. We've always hosted a welcome session for our LGBTQ students for 2nd Look Weekend. We ask on our secondary application if the applicant would like to disclose if they identify as LGBTQ, if so, we will put them in contact with some of our current students if they are accepted (btw, no one has access to the response to this question during the admissions process). This year, we're going to host monthly virtual "meet and greets" for any of our interviewees that want to meet current med students from our Pride group. All of our Admissions Team has gone through Safe Zone training. Finally, the med school and students work with and have access to the university's LBGT center which has been recognized for their work on-campus. All four of our hospital partners have dedicated clinics for our LGBTQ community as well. I hope this helps.
Awesome, that's great to hear! Yeah I saw stuff about CaseMed Pride online, but didn't know about a lot of the other things you mentioned. Thanks for the elaborate response!

@CWRU.Sman How LGBTQ-friendly is the campus?
Awesome, that's great to hear! Yeah I saw stuff about CaseMed Pride online, but didn't know about a lot of the other things you mentioned. Thanks for the elaborate response!
Oh and we have two electives that just came out:

Virtual: MEDS4017C LGBTQ+ Health Virtual Elective
Clinical: MEDS4016C LGBTQ Healthcare

Both provide great opportunities to learn more about medical and surgical management of LGBTQ patients across their lifespan.

Anyone else have trouble logging into the portal? I know my password is correct and when I press login it looks like it just reloads the sign in page. When I put in an incorrect password it tells me my password is incorrect. So I know I’m putting the right password in bc I don’t get that incorrect password message. It just doesn’t sign in.

Has anyone else submitted after the 2week deadline/strong recommendation? I've been swamped with my job and training for a new volunteer position, so it's taking me so long to finish it ):
I have all the other essays done (including the optional additional info), just finishing up the research one. it's been 18 days after receiving the secondary, so I feel like I blew my shot already. I'll probably submit later tonight after work, but yeah just wondering if anyone else is in the same position :/

Has anyone else submitted after the 2week deadline/strong recommendation? I've been swamped with my job and training for a new volunteer position, so it's taking me so long to finish it ):
I have all the other essays done (including the optional additional info), just finishing up the research one. it's been 18 days after receiving the secondary, so I feel like I blew my shot already. I'll probably submit later tonight after work, but yeah just wondering if anyone else is in the same position :/
It's fine. The 2 week recommendation is just that. A recommendation. You haven't blown your shot.

Reactions: 1 users
@CRWU.Sman Will CWRU be looking at the optional "CASPer Snapshot" that was just announced?

No. We're doing the CASPer situational judgment test this year but not CASPer Snapshot.
template-everyone-liked-that-0c6db91aec9c.jpg

Reactions: 14 users
Anyone else have trouble logging into the portal? I know my password is correct and when I press login it looks like it just reloads the sign in page. When I put in an incorrect password it tells me my password is incorrect. So I know I’m putting the right password in bc I don’t get that incorrect password message. It just doesn’t sign in.
Will - Having problems logging in? Contact US! [email protected]. There are certainly some very nice & helpful people on this forum, but I don't think they can help you like we can with login issues. ;)

I don't think it has been posted before: what are the secondary prompts for the college program this year? Or are they the same as last year's? Thanks in advance.

Are we allowed to go over the 3500 character amount for the research essay? If so, but how much? I am over a good amount.

I had a similar thought as some of my essays are like closer to 4,000 but still fit on one page with 11 point font.

I'll probably just try and shorten it because I don't want to fatigue my reader lol
I would recommend staying under the 3,500 characters and the font size doesn't matter when you paste it into our secondary. We have to do A LOT of reading so while the character limit won't block you, it would best to stay within the suggested parameters as much as possible. A few characters here and there are no problem though.

@CWRU.Sman This may be something you all don't yet have an answer for just yet, but I figure it is worth asking. Any idea around what time students should begin to hear back from Case Western regarding interviews/rejections?

@CWRU.Sman Hi! Thanks for being so engaged in this thread and providing valuable advice. I am thinking about using the optional space as a "Why Case?" essay. It was mentioned previously in this thread that the optional essay is read by both University and College Programs, but the portal says it is only read by the University Program. Do you mind clarifying this? Also, is it fine to have, for example, an overlapping anecdote between University and College program essays, since the screeners for the programs won't have access to both groups of essays?

Last edited:
@CWRU.Sman thanks for being so active on this thread. Just wanted to know: do you when IIs for Case Western regular MD are sent out?

This question was answered (again) literally FOUR posts above this one.

Let's all be a little nicer given that this is a stressful time for all of us. But to OP, to quote previous answers with key information in bold, "we've pushed back the timeline of our entire application cycle this year to accommodate those taking late MCATs due to delays/cancellations. We haven't even started screening yet (but will soon). II's won't go out until the end of August and interviews for the University Program begin on Sept 14th. We figured that we could wait a little longer to get the II's out and build in a little more delay in screening because no one will need time to make travel arrangements. ;) :

Hi, I am an international student with stats of 3.91/518. I have around 300 hr volunteering experience and 4000 hr research. Does anyone know how likely I will get an II? I know it's different and less likely for international students but just wondering.

@CWRU.Sman Hello, thanks for taking the time to help us. I have a question about the Greatest Challange essay if you don't mind: I have already discussed my greatest challenge and what it meant for my path to medicine in my PS. To answer this prompt, I am going to discuss the it from a different angle, such as how I overcame the challenge and what personal growth it brought. Would some inevitable overlap be acceptable for this prompt? Thanks!

@CWRU.Sman For the Greatest Challenge essay, I am thinking about writing about a moral/ethical dilemma I faced but in the context of an extracurricular activity I was deeply involved with. However, I notice the word "personal" and am wondering if the committee is instead looking for something more directly related to me as an individual. What do you think?

@CWRU.Sman For the Greatest Challenge essay, I am thinking about writing about a moral/ethical dilemma I faced but in the context of an extracurricular activity I was deeply involved with. However, I notice the word "personal" and am wondering if the committee is instead looking for something more directly related to me as an individual. What do you think?
This question is pretty broad and we see a wide range of topics discussed. I think what your are proposing is fine and also discuss how it affected you personally. I've seen essay responses where the writer talks about a situation involving others but doesn't mention how it impacted them and that's when they miss the mark. Make sense?

Hi @CWRU.Sman, I recall that Case Western is not planning to offer interviews until the end of this month at the earliest. There is an interview tracker floating around in which several entries say Case Western. Is it safe to disregard these as false information since we are still mid-August?

Reactions: 6 users
Hi @CWRU.Sman, I recall that Case Western is not planning to offer interviews until the end of this month at the earliest. There is an interview tracker floating around in which several entries say Case Western. Is it safe to disregard these as false information since we are still mid-August?
Is it a wise use of adcom time on this thread to debunk SDN conspiracies? Make your own judgement and don't provide them a platform to talk about their childish behavior.

• Dislike
Is it a wise use of adcom time on this thread to debunk SDN conspiracies? Make your own judgement and don't provide them a platform to talk about their childish behavior.
The question is about interviews and clarifying whether interview invites have begun. The focus is not on debunking, but rather clarifying information that is relevant to an adcom's role.

Reactions: 4 users
The question is about interviews and clarifying whether interview invites have begun. The focus is not on debunking, but rather clarifying information that is relevant to an adcom's role.
On Aug 4th
On Aug 11th
and now Aug 18th?
Just relax and let things work for you.

• Dislike
On Aug 4th
On Aug 11th
and now Aug 18th?
Just relax and let things work for you.

I'm not sure what point you're attempting tp make because neither of those posts has anything to do with my question about the particular dates of interview invites wrt what is being posted online.

Also I'm relaxed, but I'm not sure why you're so pressed right now about me asking a question. If they don't want to answer it, they just....won't lol

Regardless, I really have no interest in debating you on here about the merits of a 3-sentence question that doesn't require much acuity to answer. Have a good day, bud.

Reactions: 12 users