2020-2021 Eastern Virginia (EVMS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey! I'm an EVMS alumnus, now a PGY-1 elsewhere- so, the OP is correct in that not all of the top third is accepted. EVMS does try to prioritize the demographic match so if they're not able to find what they're looking for in the top third, they'll move to the middle third, and potentially even the lower third.

As for early WL movement, what usually happens is that the applicants who are accepted earlier tend to be those with the highest stats. So, as the season progresses and they end up with acceptances at their top choices and consequently drop their EVMS acceptance, EVMS starts perusing the waitlist and pulling the next top applicants off it. I don't know if that early on in the season it's based off demographics because there are still so many great applicants to choose from.
Thank you so much for all this detail - very helpful and interesting!

Can you recall - in like a ballpark estimate - what % of the IS and OOS top third WLs receive acceptances?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Should I send my update letter before I heard back from my interview or wait to see if I get waitlisted?
If you are 3+ weeks out from your interview I would wait before sending the update, we are limited to I think it was 6 total updates. I think if you interviewed the week of the 6th of Jan and were OOS you should hear back this week based on previous dates in this thread.
 
Does anyone know how long the info session lasts on Wednesday morning during interview week? I want to go but have to take off work.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Funny you guys say that, this was 1/8 of mine and thought it went the best. It really matters who your interviewers are.
In my experience, this is particularly true at EVMS. They give their interviewers a lot of leeway. My interview was super chill, other kids on my day told me they got grilled and had a ton of ethical questions. Be prepared for either, and understand it doesn’t mean anything
 
Just got an A this morning.

Stats: 3.31 (Biochem at a large state school in the midwest), 509, URM, IS (grew up in Hampton Roads), Non-traditional (obtained my Bachelor's in 2009).
Started a scholarship geared towards Norfolk's at-risk youth while I was in college and has been going strong ever since. Have been serving as a commissioned Officer in the Navy since graduating (going on 12 years). Also have a elementary-aged son with cerebral palsy.

Not much clinical volunteer work but I mentioned the requirements in caring for my son in my personal statement, in terms of administering medication, transport, experience with Medicare and various medical specialties. I also requested his Physiatrist write me a letter of recommendation atesting to everything involved in his care. Most interviewers I've had throughout the process have mentioned the impact of my personal statement, which I believe made up for my GPA.
 
Just got an A this morning.

Stats: 3.31 (Biochem at a large state school in the midwest), 509, URM, IS (grew up in Hampton Roads), Non-traditional (obtained my Bachelor's in 2009).
Started a scholarship geared towards Norfolk's at-risk youth while I was in college and has been going strong ever since. Have been serving as a commissioned Officer in the Navy since graduating (going on 12 years). Also have a elementary-aged son with cerebral palsy.

Not much clinical volunteer work but I mentioned the requirements in caring for my son in my personal statement, in terms of administering medication, transport, experience with Medicare and various medical specialties. I also requested his Physiatrist write me a letter of recommendation atesting to everything involved in his care. Most interviewers I've had throughout the process have mentioned the impact of my personal statement, which I believe made up for my GPA.
Congrats!! What was your interview date?
 
Just got an A this morning.

Stats: 3.31 (Biochem at a large state school in the midwest), 509, URM, IS (grew up in Hampton Roads), Non-traditional (obtained my Bachelor's in 2009).
Started a scholarship geared towards Norfolk's at-risk youth while I was in college and has been going strong ever since. Have been serving as a commissioned Officer in the Navy since graduating (going on 12 years). Also have a elementary-aged son with cerebral palsy.

Not much clinical volunteer work but I mentioned the requirements in caring for my son in my personal statement, in terms of administering medication, transport, experience with Medicare and various medical specialties. I also requested his Physiatrist write me a letter of recommendation atesting to everything involved in his care. Most interviewers I've had throughout the process have mentioned the impact of my personal statement, which I believe made up for my GPA.
Accepted of waitlist, top third.
Nontrad, Army vet, dad.
Super weak undergrad, below 3.0.
Post bacc, SMP with 3.7+ and MCAT retake (515 for those who care).
A lot of clinical experience, and research.
Hope to see you guys on campus in the Fall.
Wow- being classmates with you guys would be an honor! Thank you both for your service. Hoping to get that A soon too but I only interviewed this past Friday 😬.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed 12/18. Good luck to everyone. I'm sure that if I can get an acceptance, all of you have one waiting for you, even if not EVMS.
 
Hello all,

I interviewed with EVMS on January 20th and I also attended their information session. I had sent an update prior to my interview, and I sent thank you letters to my interviewers. Is it too much to send a letter of intent? I really want to go to this school. I know it's only been about two weeks since the interview. If the letter of intent is advised, when would be the best time to send it?
 
My personal opinion is go for gold. You don't want to look back years down the road and wonder if you could have done more. With that said, I'm not sure how much of an impact a letter of intent actually has, it depends on the school. I compare it to a free lottery card. most of the time a lottery card is worthless piece of trash.
 
Interviewed today, but realized that I did not attend the info session!! will this negatively impact me? I know the email says that I am able to attend any of the sessions on a Wednesday, but I'm panicking!!!
 
No, it shouldn't impact you at all, just attend the next week's if you are interested. On an unrelated note, are there any OOS interviewees from early January who has heard back yet?
 
No, it shouldn't impact you at all, just attend the next week's if you are interested. On an unrelated note, are there any OOS interviewees from early January who has heard back yet?
so it's not something where they were expecting my attendance? I'm wondering if I was supposed to email them in advance that id be attending another one? Should I call to let them know?
 
I just looked at my original email and there is nothing about not attending the original one but it does say to contact the office if you want to attend the next week's one. So I would probably call them just to be safe.
 
so it's not something where they were expecting my attendance? I'm wondering if I was supposed to email them in advance that id be attending another one? Should I call to let them know?
I was accepted and I did not attend the info session or let them know I wasn't attending it. I think you'll be fine. Email them if you do want to attend a different time.
 
Waitlisted. Called their office and asked for my tier, and they almost interrupted me by saying "top tier". I wanted to know if anyone else had this experience and if there are any other applicants who are in the other tiers of the waitlist.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Waitlisted. Called their office and asked for my tier, and they almost interrupted me by saying "top tier". I wanted to know if anyone else had this experience and if there are any other applicants who are in the other tiers of the waitlist.
There are lots!! take a scroll through this thread, the past few pages should answer your questions.
 
Waitlisted. Called their office and asked for my tier, and they almost interrupted me by saying "top tier". I wanted to know if anyone else had this experience and if there are any other applicants who are in the other tiers of the waitlist.
I think being waitlisted at this school is not a bad thing! They said over and over again how 2/3 of the entering class comes from the waitlist. When did you interview?
 
Oh hey guys! I’m a current M1 Student and got bored of studying GMD, so popped on here. Just wanted to let you guys know that being waitlisted is a common thing for EVMS. I think they accept most of top third and a little less than half of the middle third (rough estimates). The list won’t move until May at the earliest, but once it gets going those acceptances will start flying out. Also they attempt to match similar students, so say it’s an OOS non-traditional female that chooses another school, they’ll try to find an OOS non-traditional female on the waitlist to replace them regardless of their position on the list. Sorry for the long message, but best of luck and I look forward to seeing you guys in the Fall.
From personal experience I've been top 1/3 IS for the past 2 cycles and didn't get the A. I can update in 3-6 months when/if there is WL movement, but it's getting hard to stay optimistic.
 
Waitlisted. Called their office and asked for my tier, and they almost interrupted me by saying "top tier". I wanted to know if anyone else had this experience and if there are any other applicants who are in the other tiers of the waitlist.
It does seem like they have the lists of who is where (broadly) open and ready to let you know given they know that us neurotic pre-meds will call almost as soon as we get the email.