2020-2021 Eastern Virginia (EVMS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Stupid question, I had a wonderful time today interviewing with this school and it is definitely my top choice. I forgot the names of my interviewers (zoomed out and kind of tired by the end of the interview). Would it look bad if I asked for contact information for my interviewers from EVMS admissions and would it be worth to ask or does it not make that much of a difference? I had sent thank you letters post-interview at my other schools.
You can send your letter to the admissions committee email and just say thank you in general if you do not want to ask the names.
 
You can send your letter to the admissions committee email and just say thank you in general if you do not want to ask the names.
I really don’t get it. Why do you even need to send the “thank you”. For crying out loud you are going to be a doctor. But that does not mean you have to kiss ass for that. If you are worthy the adcom will surely give you a seat. I am sure you would have said your thank you at the end of the session. I don’t think it will move the needle except to add more burden to the people in the front line. Please people think about it seriously.
Hello there117 You have a very good score (LM 72) and you should be proud of your achievements. Wishing you the very best and hope you score a few acceptances soon. GL.
 
I don't plan to ask. I'm fairly confident this is a different situation as my previous interviews gave me the interviewers' names beforehand. I expressed my gratitude for the interviewers at the end of the conversation and the admissions team in general many times. Thank you all so much for the advice!! I look forward to hearing from the committee in a few weeks time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I really don’t get it. Why do you even need to send the “thank you”. For crying out loud you are going to be a doctor. But that does not mean you have to kiss ass for that. If you are worthy the adcom will surely give you a seat. I am sure you would have said your thank you at the end of the session. I don’t think it will move the needle except to add more burden to the people in the front line. Please people think about it seriously.
Hello there117 You have a very good score (LM 72) and you should be proud of your achievements. Wishing you the very best and hope you score a few acceptances soon. GL.
I never said that a thank you note is necessary. The applicant said they had a great time at their interview and were interested in asking for the interviewers' info.

Some schools even discourage them. However, other schools have special spaces on their application portals where you can upload one. While it has "no weight" on your application, those interviewers, at least at EVMS, are volunteering their time to talk to you. The school stance on the thank you note is not negative either. Therefore, I do not see any problem in submitting one, if you enjoyed your time interviewing.

Does it mean people who send those notes try (as you said) "kissing ass"? I do not believe so. I genuinely loved my interview and I sent one to express it in writing. So no need to be angry about it. I am in, and I do not believe I added any burden to anyone.

Wishing you good luck in this application cycle.
 
Interviewed 12/18, heard back today. Top third of the waitlist. Oh well, no rest for the wicked

Interviewed 12/18, just got waitlisted, middle third 😔
Are y'all IS or OOS? Interviewed the week of 12/6 but haven't heard back. I have seen people from 12/10 and 12/18 hear back. Not sure if the timelines are different for IS vs OOS.
 
did you guys receive a "complete" email from EVMS after submitting your secondary? i submitted my secondary on 11/3 but i haven't received confirmation that my app has been complete?
 
did you guys receive a "complete" email from EVMS after submitting your secondary? i submitted my secondary on 11/3 but i haven't received confirmation that my app has been complete?
EVMS sends out complete emails to confirm. When I called them last year, the lady told me that school doesn’t send complete emails if you didn’t satisfy their course requirements. Sucks that the school doesn’t notify you, but this may be the reason why you didn’t receive one?
 
EVMS sends out complete emails to confirm. When I called them last year, the lady told me that school doesn’t send complete emails if you didn’t satisfy their course requirements. Sucks that the school doesn’t notify you, but this may be the reason why you didn’t receive one?
Additionally, sometimes they don’t send out because they forgot as was the case for me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh okay thanks. They historically move very deep into the OOS waitlist so your chances are good at the top 1/3 so keep your head up!
I know IS are more likely to accept so there's less movement but are there different WL for IS and OOS?
 
Hey everyone, current M1 here. I know this process can be daunting and the waitlist can be disheartening, but don’t give up hope! EVMS is a school that really values you showing that you’re interested in their school and I do believe updates (of value, don’t spam them), letters of interest, and thank you notes can help push the needle just enough to grant an acceptance. If they are looking at two similar applicants, they’re going to accept the applicant that has shown they are really passionate about EVMS.
For context: I was waitlisted, middle third, IS. I sent an update, a letter of interest, a new LOR, and hand written thank you notes and I was granted an acceptance. Like I said, don‘t give up hope and good luck!
 
Hey everyone, current M1 here. I know this process can be daunting and the waitlist can be disheartening, but don’t give up hope! EVMS is a school that really values you showing that you’re interested in their school and I do believe updates (of value, don’t spam them), letters of interest, and thank you notes can help push the needle just enough to grant an acceptance. If they are looking at two similar applicants, they’re going to accept the applicant that has shown they are really passionate about EVMS.
For context: I was waitlisted, middle third, IS. I sent an update, a letter of interest, a new LOR, and hand written thank you notes and I was granted an acceptance. Like I said, don‘t give up hope and good luck!
Thanks for taking the time to write this! Would you be able to briefly talk about your experience so far in your first year and what it's like to live in Norfolk? Thank you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone who interviewed the week of December 6 still waiting on a decision?

Edit: should've scrolled up before posting! I was wondering if there might be some difference in turn-around times for IS vs OOS.

IS + interviewed that week + still waiting on a decision as well. I was thinking the same thing about IS vs OOS turn around. Hopefully they'll get to us soon 🙂
 
Thanks for taking the time to write this! Would you be able to briefly talk about your experience so far in your first year and what it's like to live in Norfolk? Thank you!
It’s a great, beautiful area! It has a cool, small city feel with lots of unique small businesses/restaurants around campus. With covid hopefully becoming a thing of the past, there are a ton of cool things to do in the area.
EVMS did a pretty good job of adapting to a covid friendly first semester which included anatomy and the cadaver lab and foundational science. There were definitely challenges during the semester (less time in anatomy lab due to social distancing restrictions, questions regarding quantity of PPE supplies) but it all worked out in the end. Despite covid, you still get the hands on experience of dissection, ultrasound, and practicing clinical skills (history and exam) in the first semester, just in smaller groups.
One thing I was pleasantly surprised to find during the first semester was how much evms has integrated health systems policy into our curriculum and how from the very beginning they want you to be aware of inequalities in healthcare and they encourage you to think of ways you can make a difference as a future provider (extending beyond simply treating patients).
Obviously covid has impacted our ability to get to know our class in the same way as other years but despite that I still feel connected to my class (just more in an online way). But like I said, anatomy lab, ultrasound, and clinical skills are all in person so I was still able to meet people that way. And during elections, a social committee was made that has put together a bunch of socially distanced/virtual fun things to do to encourage the class to get to know each other.
It definitely was not the first semester I imagined thanks to covid, but I was pleasantly surprised with how engaged EVMS and our class was with each other. So far I’m only 1 week into the second semester (which starts with General Mechanisms of Disease) so cant say much about it yet haha.

I wish you all good luck! I was a non-traditional applicant, applied more than once, and had almost lost hope that I would ever be accepted to a school. I’m happy to answer any more questions (on this thread or a private message), but just as a disclaimer I don’t check SDN very often so it may take me a bit to respond.
 
It’s a great, beautiful area! It has a cool, small city feel with lots of unique small businesses/restaurants around campus. With covid hopefully becoming a thing of the past, there are a ton of cool things to do in the area.
EVMS did a pretty good job of adapting to a covid friendly first semester which included anatomy and the cadaver lab and foundational science. There were definitely challenges during the semester (less time in anatomy lab due to social distancing restrictions, questions regarding quantity of PPE supplies) but it all worked out in the end. Despite covid, you still get the hands on experience of dissection, ultrasound, and practicing clinical skills (history and exam) in the first semester, just in smaller groups.
One thing I was pleasantly surprised to find during the first semester was how much evms has integrated health systems policy into our curriculum and how from the very beginning they want you to be aware of inequalities in healthcare and they encourage you to think of ways you can make a difference as a future provider (extending beyond simply treating patients).
Obviously covid has impacted our ability to get to know our class in the same way as other years but despite that I still feel connected to my class (just more in an online way). But like I said, anatomy lab, ultrasound, and clinical skills are all in person so I was still able to meet people that way. And during elections, a social committee was made that has put together a bunch of socially distanced/virtual fun things to do to encourage the class to get to know each other.
It definitely was not the first semester I imagined thanks to covid, but I was pleasantly surprised with how engaged EVMS and our class was with each other. So far I’m only 1 week into the second semester (which starts with General Mechanisms of Disease) so cant say much about it yet haha.

I wish you all good luck! I was a non-traditional applicant, applied more than once, and had almost lost hope that I would ever be accepted to a school. I’m happy to answer any more questions (on this thread or a private message), but just as a disclaimer I don’t check SDN very often so it may take me a bit to respond.
You're the best!!! Thank you for the thoughtful response. Are you from Chi?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad