2020-2021 Eastern Virginia (EVMS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hey! Is anyone else having trouble with logging in? Whenever I try to log in for this school's secondary, it takes me a different school's?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey! Is anyone else having trouble with logging in? Whenever I try to log in for this school's secondary, it takes me a different school's?
The same happens to me when I get logged out and try and log back in. I have to go back to the link they sent me each time haha. Maybe that will work for you too but if not I don't have any advice unfortunately
 
The same happens to me when I get logged out and try and log back in. I have to go back to the link they sent me each time haha. Maybe that will work for you too but if not I don't have any advice unfortunately
Even when I click their link it initially takes me to a different school... weird! I found if I open it in a different browser it ~sometimes~ doesn't act weird. Oh well, thanks for your reply!
 
Even when I click their link it initially takes me to a different school... weird! I found if I open it in a different browser it ~sometimes~ doesn't act weird. Oh well, thanks for your reply!

A lot of schools use the same platform for secondaries, so sometimes your computer will remember which school’s secondary you opened last (for that specific platform), and go to that school’s secondary regardless of the link you clicked. Usually after a few hours or so, it will “forget” and work normally. I’ve just avoided the issue by using incognito.
 
Hey! Is anyone else having trouble with logging in? Whenever I try to log in for this school's secondary, it takes me a different school's?
Yeah it's the awful AAMC portal for secondaries. Schools like EVMS, Einstein, USF, NYMC and others use it. and it's pretty poorly designed and difficult to access the school you want.

i find the best way to actually get to the school i want is to go to the link they send in their email in an incognito chrome window. i havent had success with just bookmarking the page for whatever reason
 
Secondary received OOS 3.75/519.

Saw a 3.78/515 get rejected pre-secondary and a 3.1 get a secondary on a previous year's thread. Does anyone know what their "holistic" screen looks for outside of stats.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the prompt "describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now" did you guys focus on specialty/setting mostly? They say "describe yourself" ten years from now too so I'm not entirely sure how much of the essay to spend on what part
 
Secondary received OOS 3.75/519.

Saw a 3.78/515 get rejected pre-secondary and a 3.1 get a secondary on a previous year's thread. Does anyone know what their "holistic" screen looks for outside of stats.

I am not sure, I recieved a secondary last week with 3.5 GPA and low 50x MCAT. Lots of clinical experience though
 
For the prompt "describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now" did you guys focus on specialty/setting mostly? They say "describe yourself" ten years from now too so I'm not entirely sure how much of the essay to spend on what part
I did mostly setting. They don't expect you to know exactly what you want to do. I think they're looking for where you think you'll be and how you think they can help you achieve that.
 
For the prompt "describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now" did you guys focus on specialty/setting mostly? They say "describe yourself" ten years from now too so I'm not entirely sure how much of the essay to spend on what part
I'm pretty sure you can be as broad or as specific as you want to be. Something like 60% of people end up changing their goals anyways in medical school.

Also waiting on this one to come in.
 
I just recieved my secondary this morning (OOS LM 70). For inputting the prerequisites it asks you to list the lab components separately. At my school they were included with the lecture course on the transcript. Should I list the lecture again under the lab section or leave it blank?
 
did those of you who are waiting for secondary still get a notice that they received your application at all? I apparently have a lot of filters on cus I'm missing a lot of secondaries and other communications from schools in general so I just want to make sure they got my application instead of calling them. Verified 6/20 and have low gpa with decent MCAT
 
did those of you who are waiting for secondary still get a notice that they received your application at all? I apparently have a lot of filters on cus I'm missing a lot of secondaries and other communications from schools in general so I just want to make sure they got my application instead of calling them. Verified 6/20 and have low gpa with decent MCAT
Nope
 
I was verified by AMCAS on 6/1 and still haven't heard anything from this school... would it be acceptable to email their admissions office??
 
I was verified by AMCAS on 6/1 and still haven't heard anything from this school... would it be acceptable to email their admissions office??
If it were me, I would wait a couple more days! I was verified 5/29 and just received my secondary today. It probably doesn't hurt to email, but their MSAR does say they screen so probably waves of secondaries!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just recieved my secondary this morning (OOS LM 70). For inputting the prerequisites it asks you to list the lab components separately. At my school they were included with the lecture course on the transcript. Should I list the lecture again under the lab section or leave it blank?

I was planning on just clicking the same course again but I just emailed admissions to confirm!
And they responded so fast... and said yes repeat the course!!
 
Last edited:
Anyone else a little worried about the felony or misdemeanor section not having an explanation box? I just have a speeding ticket but it was classified as a misdemeanor.. hoping they don't screen me out because of it 😱
 
After submitting your secondary, did anyone get a verification email? It's been a day and I didn't, but it says submitted online so I think I'm good, just hoping I didn't miss anything.
 
How long are your responses to the "what do you think you will like the best/least/ about being a physician?"? they give us 2000 characters but honestly I can only think of like 3-5 sentences.
 
How long are your responses to the "what do you think you will like the best/least/ about being a physician?"? they give us 2000 characters but honestly I can only think of like 3-5 sentences.
I used about 75% of the allotted characters. Maybe elaborate on an experience you had that struck you as your favorite/least favorite thing, versus just stating it?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Still haven't received a secondary, verified 6/4, OOS, decent stats. Is it worth reaching out?
I wouldn't worry too much. They're really taking their time with every application, and they don't seem to have a pattern with who they send secondaries to. You'll find out soon!
 
For the "4th letter" requirement for graduate students, if our committee letter includes a letter from our graduate advisor, is this extra letter still necessary? I explained that my advisor's letter is already submitted but the instructions aren't explicitly clear on the secondary.