2020-2021 Geisinger Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do we know when they'll start to make decisions on deferred applicants?
From last year's thread, some deferred applicants heard back next week.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was definitely surprised to get the A, but this might just be how Geisinger operates. It's really hard to say. The more other people are relating to this experience though, the more I'd be willing to say it's intentionally done by some interviewers as a test of character or something.
someone I know also I think had this guy and had a horrible experience and got accepted. just saying to add to this!

my faculty interviewer was fine. he asked rapid fire questions but was overall very friendly.
was a more difficult interview than the student interview, but didn't feel like an interrogation either

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I got accepted into the Abigail Scholars Program. I pretty much just filled out the secondary prompt and was asked two or three questions about primary care in my faculty interview. 2 weeks post acceptance I received a call from the GCSOM admin letting me know about my acceptance into the scholar's program. They just notify you, ask if you're still interested in it, and then send over the tax paperwork/ logistics of the agreement. I don't believe you have to firmly commit, however, you do have to notify them within 2 weeks of the offer if you are interested.

Hope this cleared stuff up a little bit.

Thanks!

my faculty interviewer was fine. he asked rapid fire questions but was overall very friendly.
was a more difficult interview than the student interview, but didn't feel like an interrogation either
this was also my experience - at some point, i thought he was bored so i cut my answer short and he just asked something else and we moved on.. still hoping for the best!

Both my student and faculty interviewers were really nice and laid back. They actually both started off with saying we really don’t want you to stress just be your self and answer the best you can. The faculty interviewer gave me feedback after every answer which helped me gauge my answers. Overall really good experience and the students on the panel seemed to love the school! 10/10

I had the opposite experience as most in this thread - my student interview was not the best while I felt my faculty interview went well. My student interviewer did not seem very enthusiastic and honestly felt a little forced but was nice nonetheless. My faculty interview asked many questions, some about me and others more situational. He was very enthusiastic and knew my application well. Overall a good experience.

I had the opposite experience as most in this thread - my student interview was not the best while I felt my faculty interview went well. My student interviewer did not seem very enthusiastic and honestly felt a little forced but was nice nonetheless. My faculty interview asked many questions, some about me and others more situational. He was very enthusiastic and knew my application well. Overall a good experience.
I actually feel like I had a similar experience where my student interviewer was also nice but the convo didn't seem to flow as well as it did with my faculty interviewer

Do we know if they are still interviewing?

Did anyone comment about their interviews in the post interview survey? It was anonymous so I just wrote that I wished the faculty interview was more conversational.

Did anyone comment about their interviews in the post interview survey? It was anonymous so I just wrote that I wished the faculty interview was more conversational.
I don’t think I did the survey, they never sent me one. Did they email you it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Had my interview today! Thank you so much to everyone that posted on here. All the information was very helpful.

Both of my interviews were, overall, very positive. The Physician could've been a bit more friendly, but he wasn't particularly grumpy either.

For reference, I received the interview invitation on 10/19/20 was March was the earliest slot I could find.

I interviewed today too. I wonder if we are interviewing for the wait-list. A 6-8 week to learn when it's already march seems like a long time. I also received the invite in October so it was a long wait lol. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Apparently Geisinger waitslists 300+ students per year and only 30+ students come off of the waitlist. I will dig up the AAMC link and post it showing the data for waitlist spots at each school and how many come off of the waitlist.

Reactions: 4 users
Just got post-II email saying my application was deferred to the next committee meeting.. Anyone know what this means exactly? Is there still a chance I could be accepted?

Also, does Geisinger accept updates/letters of intent?

I also received a deferral email. It seems like the school doesn't have a waitlist yet. So we're still in it. It may take some time.

Just got post-II email saying my application was deferred to the next committee meeting.. Anyone know what this means exactly? Is there still a chance I could be accepted?

I think many interviewers get deferred post II, it's either A or deferred until Geisinger opens up their waitlist pool to waitlist applicants. So, yes you still have a chance to be accepted! They receive updates/LOI, just two for the cycle though. Also If you don't mind me asking, when did you interview?

+1, interviewed mid-January

I think many interviewers get deferred post II, it's either A or deferred until Geisinger opens up their waitlist pool to waitlist applicants. So, yes you still have a chance to be accepted! They receive updates/LOI, just two for the cycle though. Also If you don't mind me asking, when did you interview?
Interviewed 1/6

Also, did anyone get the primary care scholarship after being accepted from the deferred list?

got deferred today, interviewed 1/6. does anyone know if there have been people who have been accepted after being deferred?

Does anyone know if Geisinger drops post-II results all at once or do they send in waves? I interviewed late Jan so I’m not sure if I will hear back today

got deferred today, interviewed 1/6. does anyone know if there have been people who have been accepted after being deferred?
got deferred in december, also wanting to know if anyone has gotten off deferral

For data purposes:
II: 8/21
I: 9/11
Deferred: 10/15

I’ve heard nothing since and the wait is agonizing, to say the least.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone who interviewed in January get an acceptance?
Hello. I interviewed 1/13 and got the email/call today about getting the A along with the scholars program (OOS, non-trad). Wishing you the best this cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
Waitlist Information

Attachments

• msar_waitlist_procedures_11_132_2020.pdf
    131.1 KB · Views: 372
Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed on 01/27 and was accepted this morning.
oh wow I interviewed on the same day, but have not heard anything back today.. I thought geisinger sent our results by dates, but I guess not..? Congratulations by the way!!

So does the “deferred” decision mean the same thing as the waitlist?
No, deferred means they didn’t come to a decision so they will continue to review your app at future committee meetings. From there you can be A, WL, or R.

To Jan interviewers who haven’t heard back: do you think we will have to wait another month :oops:? Does anyone know how many times the committee meets

To Jan interviewers who haven’t heard back: do you think we will have to wait another month :oops:? Does anyone know how many times the committee meetsI
I really hope we don't have to wait another month! I interviewed the last week of January and haven't heard anything...hoping that more decisions will come out soon 😰

I interviewed on 01/27 and was accepted this morning.
I also interviewed around then :( Suddenly, I'm getting stressed.
I really hope we don't have to wait another month! I interviewed the last week of January and haven't heard anything...hoping that more decisions will come out soon 😰
Seems like they are processing 1/6 to 1/27 as of yesterday, so it looks like another month-ish. Is it just me, or does it seem like a lot of people get their decisions earlier in the week? Sunday/Monday/Tuesday.

Seems like they are processing 1/6 to 1/27 as of yesterday, so it looks like another month-ish. Is it just me, or does it seem like a lot of people get their decisions earlier in the week? Sunday/Monday/Tuesday.
I noticed that trend too! I guess we have to try to relax until the next wave of decisions comes out...easier said than done haha

So they send out decisions every month then?

Not all 27th because I haven’t heard back :’( I think they got to some interviews that happened in last week of Jan but not all.
So they send out decisions every month then?
It seems like it, but I think someone said they meet twice a month? I’m not too sure. Latest we will hear back end of march-early april

I did apply to the Abigail’s Scholar Program. Perhaps they are sending out decisions based off of that?

• Care
if deferred, should we expect a final decision in 2 weeks?

Interviewed 1/27. Just received a rejection letter in the mail today dated 2/24. Not even an email...

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Interviewed 1/27. Just received a rejection letter in the mail today dated 2/24. Not even an email...
I’m so sorry to hear....if you don’t mind answering, did anything on your portal change? I moved during the application process, so geisinger may have my old address if they didn’t update my amcas info. So I’m just trying to see if I can find out other way; I also interviewed on the 27th