2020-2021 Geisinger Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Gotcha thanks!! A lot of nerves going on haha
Its honestly pretty laid back

Id review your secondarticle prompts. The physician who interviewed me asked questions based off my answers.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Ahh yeah I thought they would! Thank you!
whoops typos
"Id review your secondarticle prompts. The physician who interviewed me asked questions based off my answers."

**secondary* app* prompts*

Last edited:
  • Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Sending good vibes your way! Don't lose hope!
Out of curiosity (and fear of course), to anyone deferred, how did you feel your interviews went? Was there any part of your interview day that you feel could've changed things for the better?
I felt that both of my interviews went great! I enjoyed my faculty interview and felt that I bonded well with him as he and I were from the same area. Same with the student interviewer. Of course, it’s also been said here that applicants themselves aren’t the best evaluators of their own interview experiences.

To be honest, I’m not surprised that I was deferred lol even though I’m an IS applicant. My best guess is that perhaps they felt my app didn’t fit their mission as strongly as others, given that I’m super heavy into research. I emphasized my community service as best as I could, however.

Sending good vibes your way! Don't lose hope!
Out of curiosity (and fear of course), to anyone deferred, how did you feel your interviews went? Was there any part of your interview day that you feel could've changed things for the better?
Honestly, both interviews went really well for me. The student one was 10/10 and faculty probably 9/10 or 10/10
But I did have a feeling I'd be deferred because I'm OOS and I felt that there were so many better applicants than myself in terms of volunteering experiences and balanced MCAT score

Does anyone know post II acceptance rate for OOS applicants? I know geisinger prefers IS heavily so I’m trying to stay realistic 🥲

I was deferred as well. interviewed 11/4. I felt both interviews went well. Lets not forget that this time of the cycle many seats have been taken, so there will be many more deferrals for all programs until applicants give up their other acceptances and seats become more readily available.

Hi all, for anyone who interviewed... did you send your thank you follow ups just in an email to the admissions email? Please advise and thank you!!

Hi all, for anyone who interviewed... did you send your thank you follow ups just in an email to the admissions email? Please advise and thank you!!
Thank you notes for interview right? If you don’t have your interviewer’s email, then yea send it to the admissions

They told us in the interview to email all thank you letters to admissions and they would get them to the appropriate person!

Does anyone have knowledge as to when an accepted students facebook group will be created?

hey guys! my faculty interview got cut off because it went over 30 minutes and I didn't get a chance to thank him for his time. Is this a bad sign?

Members don't see this ad :)
did anybody else get a nice brochure of everything geisinger has to offer AFTER they sent you a rejection? lmao thanks fam...thanks a lot.

Reactions: 1 users
hey guys! my faculty interview got cut off because it went over 30 minutes and I didn't get a chance to thank him for his time. Is this a bad sign?
If you clicked well with your interviewer and were having a productive conversation, then I don't think it's a bad sign. Mine got cut off in the middle of my thank you, and I got an A. Just be sure to send a thank you note to your interviewer.

Reactions: 2 users
If you clicked well with your interviewer and were having a productive conversation, then I don't think it's a bad sign. Mine got cut off in the middle of my thank you, and I got an A. Just be sure to send a thank you note to your interviewer.
Thank you so much!!

do any of you know if geisinger is still sending out interviews (IS)? I still have no heard anything from them.

Sorry if someone has asked before but what does this mean:

"Prior to interview day, please login and review and submit the video interview user agreement."

I don't see anything in the portal.

Do you guys think a lot of people that are deferred here will get accepted? I read that there will be a lot of waitlist movements this cycle.

I am curious as well esp since Geisinger has significantly less OOS students overall. Is this because Geisinger prefers to have Penn residents or because OOS students choose other schools over geisinger?

Got the rejection email today! :( best of luck to everyone still in the running!

• Care
  • Sad
Got the pre-II R today as well. I was really hoping to hear good news from this particular school as well.

Good luck to everyone still in the running!

• Care
Pre-II R. Complete in October.

• Care
Sorry to hear! Were you on "hold" before receiving the R?

Anyone know when the next decision date is? :)

Does anyone know the exact rules regarding their 2 update max? Like does this include a letter of intent/interest? Would it be unwise to send a post-ii letter of interest now in case I choose to send a letter of intent down the road?

Does anyone know the exact rules regarding their 2 update max? Like does this include a letter of intent/interest? Would it be unwise to send a post-ii letter of interest now in case I choose to send a letter of intent down the road?
Yea LOI is considered as update according to interview orientation! I already sent one before II, so I’m saving my last update as LOI if I get waitlisted

Do you guys think a lot of people that are deferred here will get accepted? I read that there will be a lot of waitlist movements this cycle.
I hope so, but where did you read that there will be a lot waitlist movements? Maybe for IS, but their OOS A is pretty low.

Does anyone know if there is an accepted students GroupMe or something like that? I am in such a group for another med school and connecting with other possible future classmates is really helping me in the decision making process. Anybody know if one exists? If not, maybe I'll make one...

Does anyone know if there is an accepted students GroupMe or something like that? I am in such a group for another med school and connecting with other possible future classmates is really helping me in the decision making process. Anybody know if one exists? If not, maybe I'll make one...
i'm also wondering this. i know there's no facebook group at the moment.

i'm also wondering this. i know there's no facebook group at the moment.
Well how bout this... any accepted student who wants to be in one, message me your name and number. I'll make one if one is not discovered in the next day or so. If we come to find there are multiple out there, that's fine, we can merge. But I'd love to start interacting with you guys!

Reactions: 4 users
Seeing how the most recent decision release was for nov interviewers, I'd assume that it will take a while for me to hear back...but does anyone know how long it actually takes to hear back from geisinger? I think the school said about 6-8 weeks

Seeing how the most recent decision release was for nov interviewers, I'd assume that it will take a while for me to hear back...but does anyone know how long it actually takes to hear back from geisinger? I think the school said about 6-8 weeks
it took me 11-12 weeks to hear back post interview

• Wow
Any movement from the deferred list by anyone? And if not, does anyone have a clue when that generally tends to occur?

Reactions: 3 users
i have this dreadful feeling that we wont hear until may after the april 30 deadline - ugh, unless people who know they don't want to go there *kindly* give up their seats. i honestly dont understand why the cycle allows people to hold on to so many acceptances for so long. i guess it makes sense, but it kind of sucks that the same cohort of people are all holding >5 acceptances and all this movement is waiting to happen just dependent on them giving up their seats at the places they aren't attending.

@HopefulMed123 @sylvania19

i have this dreadful feeling that we wont hear until may after the april 30 deadline - ugh, unless people who know they don't want to go there *kindly* give up their seats. i honestly dont understand why the cycle allows people to hold on to so many acceptances for so long. i guess it makes sense, but it kind of sucks that the same cohort of people are all holding >5 acceptances and all this movement is waiting to happen just dependent on them giving up their seats at the places they aren't attending.

i was also deferred here and saw in last year's thread that there were some deferred applicants getting A's in December and March, and then some more after April 30th like you're saying

How big is the movement for deferred applicants?

You're right, if someone 100% knows they're not going there it doesn't make sense to hold the acceptance.

I just withdrew my A, hope it goes to one of you guys!

• Care
Reactions: 13 users