2020-2021 Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do they accept pre-II updates? It seemed on the first Friday they were open to communication, but I didn’t get a solid answer. Anyone know?
I sent one and they added it to my file. Can’t hurt unless they specifically say no Pre-II updates. I would only update if you have something significant to add to your profile, though.
 
I took my MCAT in late September and completed my secondary early October. Do I have to send my updated score as a Pre-II update or do they automatically see this via AMCAS?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Man these nightmares are getting WILD.

I called Office of Admissions about the status of my app, and Ms. Williams-Fawkes herself picked up like “oh.... I was actually going through your app rn. You’re not supposed to have your last name on your transcript. Idk if we can continue reviewing your app.” I started panicking, like “I’m so sorry my last name is on my transcript. Can I have my school email you all with an updated transcript???” She was like “I guess.... but smh why don’t you kids read?? It says it right here on the website. You all never listen.” Then I woke up.

I hope we hear some news soon lol, can’t have this madness continuing until April/May lol
 
Has anyone received anything like this? Does anyone know what this means?
E36A9B43-F61A-4B45-80B6-E98C18DA04A6.jpeg
 
Idk have you completed either of those courses? It is saying those are requirements for admission into their program. They might offer you an interview in the future, but in the case of admission, you need to make plans to complete those courses if you want to attend Howard Med starting 2021. Honestly those are basically requirements for like majority of medical schools so you should be planning to complete them anyway.
 
Idk have you completed either of those courses? It is saying those are requirements for admission into their program. They might offer you an interview in the future, but in the case of admission, you need to make plans to complete those courses if you want to attend Howard Med starting 2021. Honestly those are basically requirements for like majority of medical schools so you should be planning to complete them anyway.

I was actually sent the same message a month ago, but it mentioned I was missing my LORs.....which I wasn’t. I called the following day and it was resolved. Somehow they goofed up on their end. It may be happening to this person too
 
Just got an II, my first too this cycle so I am so relieved, does anyone know how long after an interview it takes to hear a final decision?
It depends. I've seen people hear back two days after the interview, according to what they said on this thread. I interviewed the first week of October and still haven't head back (though I got an email last week from the adcom saying my complete application will go up for review this coming Thursday... so I'm expecting to hear back this coming Friday)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It depends. I've seen people hear back two days after the interview, according to what they said on this thread. I interviewed the first week of October and still haven't head back (though I got an email last week from the adcom saying my complete application will go up for review this coming Thursday... so I'm expecting to hear back this coming Friday)
gotcha, thanks for the reply!
 
How was your first semester online?
what’s your favorite thing so far?

The workload, I imagine, has not changed from previous years but the amount of time we have to study has increased. We don’t have to commute or be go in for anatomy so we save a lot of time. There are a few mandatory sessions but still plenty of time to study. Unfortunately, the solidarity and familial bonds that Howard is known for is lacking a bit due to the fact everything is online. We try to mediate but having online study groups and something close to meet and greets but it can never truly replace the interactions in person. My favorite thing is anatomy, which is the block we’re currently in. The professors are all awesome and I just enjoy learning anatomy.
 
How did y’all cover anatomy. Was that online? Was it prosection

Yup, anatomy is all online. We have labs but the dissections aren’t live. We just view pictures from netanatomy and blue link. Truly though, I don’t mind because I like the extra time we get to study. Previous years have warned of the time spent in labs but my year doesn’t have to worry about that
 
The workload, I imagine, has not changed from previous years but the amount of time we have to study has increased. We don’t have to commute or be go in for anatomy so we save a lot of time. There are a few mandatory sessions but still plenty of time to study. Unfortunately, the solidarity and familial bonds that Howard is known for is lacking a bit due to the fact everything is online. We try to mediate but having online study groups and something close to meet and greets but it can never truly replace the interactions in person. My favorite thing is anatomy, which is the block we’re currently in. The professors are all awesome and I just enjoy learning anatomy.
Thank you!
Do you know anything about admissions and if they are doing anything different this year while looking for applicants stats-wise?
 
Thank you!
Do you know anything about admissions and if they are doing anything different this year while looking for applicants stats-wise?
I am not on that committee but I know there admissions liaisons in my class who do advocate for applicants this cycle. They advocate for more than just grades/mcat and try to stress the qualities in applicant that would make them great doctors. I’m not sure if this is new committee though
 
I know they say that 494 is their minimum, has anyone in the history of Howard gotten in with that score?
 
Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is donating $100 million to the nation's four historically Black medical schools: Howard University's College of Medicine in Washington, the Morehouse School of Medicine in Atlanta, Meharry Medical College in Nashville, and the Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science in Los Angeles. The schools said they will use the donations to create scholarships of up to $100,000 for students currently enrolled and receiving financial aid. I hope those who get to attend this school will be able to receive this awesome financial gift! 😀

We the students of Meharry, have yet to see any of this money...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At the interview, they said they meet and send out decisions every Thursday. Anybody that's interviewed heard back today?