2020-2021 Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hello! Is it appropriate to send an update letter pre-II? Submitted 8/19 and have had radio silence 🙂
Go for it! I sent one on Monday. Just be sure there’s significant updates to give. Most of my update letter was about a new job and new leadership position that I’ve been involved in since the submission of my primary app. I got creative and included pictures to make it stand out and made it more of a newsletter. If you’re gonna do it, don’t make yourself seem desperate. It must be a true update IMO.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Go for it! I sent one on Monday. Just be sure there’s significant updates to give. Most of my update letter was about a new job and new leadership position that I’ve been involved in since the submission of my primary app. I got creative and included pictures to make it stand out and made it more of a newsletter. If you’re gonna do it, don’t make yourself seem desperate. It must be a true update IMO.
Congrats on your new job! I also became employed WOOHOO!
 
This waiting game sucks. My number one is Howard!!!! I completed my secondary 10/19. I applied to like 14 schools basically got secondaries for all of them but realized some schools were sending them to everyone just to get your application fee money. After I discovered that, I only completed secondaries for the schools that I really believed I had a shot in. Which were Howard, Morehouse, and Meharry.
 
This waiting game sucks. My number one is Howard!!!! I completed my secondary 10/19. I applied to like 14 schools basically got secondaries for all of them but realized some schools were sending them to everyone just to get your application fee money. After I discovered that, I only completed secondaries for the schools that I really believed I had a shot in. Which were Howard, Morehouse, and Meharry.
It’s very risky to only apply to 3 schools. The vast majority of schools give secondaries to everyone who meets the minimum requirement. That should not be a deterrent for you.
 
This waiting game sucks. My number one is Howard!!!! I completed my secondary 10/19. I applied to like 14 schools basically got secondaries for all of them but realized some schools were sending them to everyone just to get your application fee money. After I discovered that, I only completed secondaries for the schools that I really believed I had a shot in. Which were Howard, Morehouse, and Meharry.
Well you've finished your secondary pretty recently so it may be some time. What were your stats?
 
Is it just me or does Howard not have much on their website about community engagement? I'm comparing to Meharry mainly because they talk about several programs made available to the community (rainbow program, pre natal care, salt wagon clinic to name a few). I really waa ant to attend a school that doesn't just say they care about the underserved but demonstrate it by how they serve the surrounding areas so I want to look closely at what each school has to offer if anyone has a link please share.
 
Is it just me or does Howard not have much on their website about community engagement? I'm comparing to Meharry mainly because they talk about several programs made available to the community (rainbow program, pre natal care, salt wagon clinic to name a few). I really waa ant to attend a school that doesn't just say they care about the underserved but demonstrate it by how they serve the surrounding areas so I want to look closely at what each school has to offer if anyone has a link please share.
I would suggest finding medical students who vlog on YouTube. I've come across one or two who go to Howard. Honestly schools vary on the information they have on their website. Some schools are really good about putting information on their website while others kind of struggle. Meharry has a lot of information on their site that appears to be outdated.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I submitted 08/06 however my app was on hold because my old MCAT score was below the cutoff. I called yesterday and the lady said my app recently moved off that hold list cause of my new score and should be under review soon. She was very vague lol
Congrats on getting off hold! I understand the struggle. I’m currently studying for the retake. I hate I have to but med school is my goal.
 
Is anyone else confused in how WARS works? Is this even it? And how do you know what score goes in each section?
Screenshot_20201031-113241_Chrome.jpg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I understand! I thought it was something that I was suppose to know if the school asks

oh, definitely not! Really, it’s just an attempt to give a more “thorough,” summary of your non-numerical factors as an applicant + the traditional GPA and MCAT. Just think of it as a compliment to a LizzyM score.

in truth, it’s best use is probably as a starting point for making a school list.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad