You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Howard
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Did anyone attend the first Friday? How was it?
It was good. Pretty chill and informative. You get to ask questions out loud or through zoom chat
D
deleted1065184
Any info on when they'll start extending interview invites?It was good. Pretty chill and informative. You get to ask questions out loud or through zoom chat
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mellyjelly123
Full Member
It was good. Pretty chill and informative. You get to ask questions out loud or through zoom chat
was it mandatory to show your video?
I got my email saying they received my secondary and prerequisite courses. Interview invites beginning late August!
godsgirly4320
Full Member
when you register they ask that you turn your video on, but it went pretty long and i noticed some people turned their's off. This session was about 3.5 hours but people left before then, they acknowledged that some of the parts went longer than anticipated. they also mention that they only have 4 people reviewing applications so the turn around time for app review might not be super quick.was it mandatory to show your video?
D
deleted1065184
Thanks!I got my email saying they received my secondary and prerequisite courses. Interview invites beginning late August!
Asp1retoInsp1re
Full Member
How did you all find out about this open house? Wish I knew beforehand so I could have attended :/
How did you all find out about this open house? Wish I knew beforehand so I could have attended :/
They mentioned it in the secondary emails and gave a registration link. They have one the first Friday of each month so you can still sign up for the next one
Mellyjelly123
Full Member
How did you all find out about this open house? Wish I knew beforehand so I could have attended :/
they have the link on their admission page. It’s every first Friday of the month
godsgirly4320
Full Member
i didn't learn about it through a secondary email, i emailed them about CASPER and the person who responded included information about it in her response to me. but yeah they hold them every month!they have the link on their admission page. It’s every first Friday of the month
YesIs anyone else's application on hold for MCAT scores, even though your scores are already in?
godsgirly4320
Full Member
how are people going about finding their old SAT/ACT scores? also, do you think being a Residential Advisor (or Residential Assistant) over residents/students counts as employment?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
how are people going about finding their old SAT/ACT scores? also, do you think being a Residential Advisor (or Residential Assistant) over residents/students counts as employment?
I used collegeboard for SAT scores. Not sure about ACT (didn’t take it)
Interview Invite!
Excited for you !
When is it and how long ago did you submit 2aries
D
deleted1065184
Omg congrats!!!Interview Invite!
Excited for you !
When is it and how long ago did you submit 2aries
Sorry, guys! Wrong thread for the wrong school.
EDIT: I got so excited, I forgot I had multiple tabs open for different schools. At least you guys are taking my mistake well. 😀 Excitement will do that to you. I wish you all the best of luck!
Sorry, guys! Wrong thread for the wrong school.
No problem lol
Damn, we was EAGER eager
Mellyjelly123
Full Member
Sorry, guys! Wrong thread for the wrong school.
EDIT: I got so excited, I forgot I had multiple tabs open for different schools. At least you guys are taking my mistake well. 😀 Excitement will do that to you. I wish you all the best of luck!
I was about to say, an II is too early for this school lol, but congrats!!!!! Amazing news from any school!!
Mellyjelly123
Full Member
I used collegeboard for SAT scores. Not sure about ACT (didn’t take it)
how did you get it? SAT is requesting payment and sat registration number that I don’t have from 6 years ago
psychneuro33
Full Member
I did not get a receipt.those who submitted secondary, did you get a receipt of payment after? most schools using gateway automatically send receipt but I haven't gotten anything for HU.
also, how long between secondary submission and complete email?
Secondary "invite" 07/23, email that it was completed/received 07/31, email that it has been reviewed 08/11
I don't remember what day I submitted it though
I did not get a receipt.
Secondary "invite" 07/23, email that it was completed/received 07/31, email that it has been reviewed 08/11
I don't remember what day I submitted it though
what did the "reviewed" email say? I have the same submission and complete email dates as you do but I did not receive a review email...those who submitted secondary, did you get a receipt of payment after? most schools using gateway automatically send receipt but I haven't gotten anything for HU.
also, how long between secondary submission and complete email?
psychneuro33
Full Member
So the complete/received email started with "This acknowledgement email means that all of your current documents have been received and your file is currently under full review" - 07/31what did the "reviewed" email say? I have the same submission and complete email dates as you do but I did not receive a review email...
The reviewed email started with "We have received and reviewed your AMCAS Primary and Secondary Applications for admission consideration...." -08/11
You should be able to login into College Board, click 'My SAT', and just see the scores. You only need to pay if you are sending scores to schools which Howard does not require.how did you get it? SAT is requesting payment and sat registration number that I don’t have from 6 years ago
patchadams2
Full Member
My primary application is finally being reviewed by AMCAS. That's what happens when you have nine transcripts, which took forever to arrive. I should get my secondaries within the next day or so.
patchadams2
Full Member
Ok...being the old guy here...how do you put your stats as your signature??
Mellyjelly123
Full Member
Just submitted my secondary this morning. Pending taking the mcat sept 12
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok...being the old guy here...how do you put your stats as your signature??
If you tap on your profile pic (up at the top near where your notifications pop up) there should be a list of options, including one that says Signature. You should be able to edit it from there
D
deleted1065184
Anybody else get an email saying that your application was has been reviewed and theb info about coursework, keeping spam-blockers low in case you do get an interview, and other stuff. I feel teased lol
Anybody else get an email saying that your application was has been reviewed and theb info about coursework, keeping spam-blockers low in case you do get an interview, and other stuff. I feel teased lol
Yeah. I got excited for a quick second lol.
Quick question about: "Have you lived in communities which are medically underserved, or where the majority of the population is economically and/or educationally disadvantaged?"
I grew up in an affluent area but when I moved to attend my post-bacc program I lived in economically disadvantaged area. I lived there for 6 months (because COVID forced me to return home). Is it okay to talk about living there for 6 months or no? I don't know if this question is specifically asking about my childhood or not?
I grew up in an affluent area but when I moved to attend my post-bacc program I lived in economically disadvantaged area. I lived there for 6 months (because COVID forced me to return home). Is it okay to talk about living there for 6 months or no? I don't know if this question is specifically asking about my childhood or not?
D
deleted1065184
If they only wanted to know about childhood, I think they most likely would have said that. If those 6 months living in an economically disadvantaged area were meaningful, I'd say talk about it.Quick question about: "Have you lived in communities which are medically underserved, or where the majority of the population is economically and/or educationally disadvantaged?"
I grew up in an affluent area but when I moved to attend my post-bacc program I lived in economically disadvantaged area. I lived there for 6 months (because COVID forced me to return home). Is it okay to talk about living there for 6 months or no? I don't know if this question is specifically asking about my childhood or not?
If you lived in the area but were still affluent yourself the entire time and/or not really connected with the community at all, then maybe not. I don't think there's necessarily a right or wrong answer here, just go with your gut and be sincere.
How do I submit Mcat scores to Howard. I received an email saying my app is on hold for Mcat scores.
Send them an email saying you already wrote it and have a score? Must be an error cuz it should transfer automatically. Especially cuz Howard is one of the few schools that directly uses the AMCAS system for their secondary.
Okay I will. Thank you for respondingSend them an email saying you already wrote it and have a score? Must be an error cuz it should transfer automatically. Especially cuz Howard is one of the few schools that directly uses the AMCAS system for their secondary.
Anybody else get an email saying that your application was has been reviewed and theb info about coursework, keeping spam-blockers low in case you do get an interview, and other stuff. I feel teased lol
I got this email today and I have a few pending pre-reqs, I'm not sure if I understood the email correctly but it said that I have to complete the prereqs for interview eligibility. But during first friday, I thought they mentioned you have until matriculation to complete prereqs, meaning you can be interviewed/accepted before completing prereqs... aren't other schools like this as well?
D
deleted1065184
I have no pending pre-reqs, so I wouldn't worry about that. I think it's most likely just broad information so people will be informed shojld they be accepted.I got this email today and I have a few pending pre-reqs, I'm not sure if I understood the email correctly but it said that I have to complete the prereqs for interview eligibility. But during first friday, I thought they mentioned you have until matriculation to complete prereqs, meaning you can be interviewed/accepted before completing prereqs... aren't other schools like this as well?
does their portal allow you to put future pre-reqs? Maybe that's what they meant if you didn't list them on there. That's just a guessI got this email today and I have a few pending pre-reqs, I'm not sure if I understood the email correctly but it said that I have to complete the prereqs for interview eligibility. But during first friday, I thought they mentioned you have until matriculation to complete prereqs, meaning you can be interviewed/accepted before completing prereqs... aren't other schools like this as well?
my email included the specific courses that I have yet to take, so i think it is individualized.I have no pending pre-reqs, so I wouldn't worry about that. I think it's most likely just broad information so people will be informed shojld they be accepted.
yeah, i included the future pre-reqs on the portal. I guess I will email them to clarify. I sincerely hope they won't wait to interview me until the end of spring semester lol.does their portal allow you to put future pre-reqs? Maybe that's what they meant if you didn't list them on there. That's just a guess
D
deleted1065184
Ah, you know now that I look at it again, they do say that I don't have any pending classes.my email included the specific courses that I have yet to take, so i think it is individualized.
yeah, i included the future pre-reqs on the portal. I guess I will email them to clarify. I sincerely hope they won't wait to interview me until the end of spring semester lol.
For people that have done work in underserved communities, did you just describe what you did or did you stick to more what you learned from it and its impact future efforts? I feel like the details of what I did are already in the primary, so I stuck to the latter, but I am not sure if they just wanted that info repeated
Mellyjelly123
Full Member
Did anyone receive an email saying that their secondary was received?
I submitted mine last week with pending mcat on sept 12. Still haven’t gotten any email regarding receiving the email or the payment
I submitted mine last week with pending mcat on sept 12. Still haven’t gotten any email regarding receiving the email or the payment
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone receive an email saying that their secondary was received?
I submitted mine last week with pending mcat on sept 12. Still haven’t gotten any email regarding receiving the email or the payment
I got an application complete email a day after submitting. already had a MCAT tho. May be why you have not received such an email.
Mellyjelly123
Full Member
Do you think it’s worth sending an email about it?I got an application complete email a day after submitting. already had a MCAT tho. May be why you have not received such an email.
How helpful did people find the first Fridays?
It’s great if you have a lot of questions and want to know about their admissions process
Do you think it’s worth sending an email about it?
Wouldn't hurt, I suppose.