2020-2021 Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is donating $100 million to the nation's four historically Black medical schools: Howard University's College of Medicine in Washington, the Morehouse School of Medicine in Atlanta, Meharry Medical College in Nashville, and the Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science in Los Angeles. The schools said they will use the donations to create scholarships of up to $100,000 for students currently enrolled and receiving financial aid. I hope those who get to attend this school will be able to receive this awesome financial gift! 😀
 
How is Howard’s average mcat and gpa so low if they seem to target really high stat applicants?
I don't think they specifically target really high stat applicants. Med schools tend to offer all of their early interviews to these applicants (I think it's a silly thing to do, but whatever). And then they follow suit with mid and lower stat applicants. Howard is mission driven and is likely going to interview students all the way from mid-490s to the upper 510s. And they'll accept students from all across the range. And then a large chunk of the high stat applicants will go elsewhere, for a host of reasons. Even the most desired med schools will only have about a 70ish % yield.
 
I don't think they specifically target really high stat applicants. Med schools tend to offer all of their early interviews to these applicants (I think it's a silly thing to do, but whatever). And then they follow suit with mid and lower stat applicants. Howard is mission driven and is likely going to interview students all the way from mid-490s to the upper 510s. And they'll accept students from all across the range. And then a large chunk of the high stat applicants will go elsewhere, for a host of reasons. Even the most desired med schools will only have about a 70ish % yield.

Make sense.
 
Last edited:
I don't think they specifically target really high stat applicants. Med schools tend to offer all of their early interviews to these applicants (I think it's a silly thing to do, but whatever). And then they follow suit with mid and lower stat applicants. Howard is mission driven and is likely going to interview students all the way from mid-490s to the upper 510s. And they'll accept students from all across the range. And then a large chunk of the high stat applicants will go elsewhere, for a host of reasons. Even the most desired med schools will only have about a 70ish % yield.
I am curious to know how the acceptance waves will happen this cycle since Howard sent secondaries out early this year, compared to previous cycles.
 
For the secondary questions that asked if u lived worked or want to work in medically underserved areas, how many words do you guys have for each. They seem straightforward questions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh snaps! How soon after did you receive the email? I attended the virtual first Friday of this month, and have not received anything yet.

I went to the August one and received a thank you email with attachments about Howard Med and a little thank you card. Maybe they’re behind [emoji2375]
 
I went to the August one and received a thank you email with attachments about Howard Med and a little thank you card. Maybe they’re behind [emoji2375]

Sorry meant to say that I received all of this the same day, just that evening
 
Oh snaps! How soon after did you receive the email? I attended the virtual first Friday of this month, and have not received anything yet.
I attended the First Friday for this month as well and also haven't received a thank you email. I didn't even know I should be expecting one lol! I agree with the person who said they're probably behind.

I received a II from Howard on 9/02. I was completed on 7/31. I have a bit lower MCAT score than the other people in the thread and I am not AA. So, anything is possible! All in good time. Best of luck everyone.

Congrats!! Hope you crush it! I wasn't complete until 8/27 so I have a long wait, but I love seeing everyone get IIs!! Makes me excited to hopefully get one too 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When submitting secondary, did anyone get an email of the receipt? Any confirmation at all saying that you submitted it?
Submitted this morning and I didn't either. It has lowkey been bothering me all day lol. I know my payment went through so maybe they will send an email eventually.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad