2020-2021 Loma Linda

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Loma Linda University

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Prompts please!!

Sure!

It’s the same as last years, with one added question.

No limits

1. What makes Loma Linda University School of Medicine (LLUSM) particularly attractive to you?
2. Describe the extent and source of your knowledge of LLUSM.
3. What personal attributes make you a desirable candidate for admission to LLUSM?
4. Identify experiences in your life that illustrate your service to others?
5. Discuss how your spiritual origins, development, and experiences have influenced and been integrated into your daily life.
6. Do you regularly attend or participate in the services of a church or religious group? (yes/no)
6a. Please comment
6b. Name of clergy or religious leader
6c. Telephone number of clergy or religious leader
6d. What is your religious affiliation? (drop-down menu)
7. As a Christian educational institution the medical curriculum integrates a spiritual, ethical, and relational issues from a Christian perspective into the practice of medicine. Weekly chapel services and religion courses are part of this program. Please respond to the above as it relates to your personal educational and career goals.
8. Loma Linda University is a Seventh-day Adventist institution that has lifestyle expectations that include abstinence from alcohol, nicotine, cannabinoids, and illicit drugs/substances in all forms. Describe any use of these substances within the past year.
9a. If accepted to LLUSM, are you willing to abstain from alcohol, nicotine, cannabinoid, and illicit drug/substance use? (yes/no)
9b. Please explain
10. If you have already graduated, describe your activities since graduation and your planned activities prior to matriculation into medical school.

11. Added prompt to discuss if COVID-19 interrupted employment, research, anything significant.

Secondary received 10 minutes ago

Sure!

No limits

1. What makes Loma Linda University School of Medicine (LLUSM) particularly attractive to you?
3. What personal attributes make you a desirable candidate for admission to LLUSM?
5. Discuss how your spiritual origins, development, and experiences have influenced and been integrated into your daily life.
6. Do you regularly attend or participate in the services of a church or religious group? (yes/no)
6a. Please comment
7. As a Christian educational institution the medical curriculum integrates a spiritual, ethical, and relational issues from a Christian perspective into the practice of medicine. Weekly chapel services and religion courses are part of this program. Please respond to the above as it relates to your personal educational and career goals.
8. Loma Linda University is a Seventh-day Adventist institution that has lifestyle expectations that include abstinence from alcohol, nicotine, cannabinoids, and illicit drugs/substances in all forms. Describe any use of these substances within the past year.
9a. If accepted to LLUSM, are you willing to abstain from alcohol, nicotine, cannabinoid, and illicit drug/substance use? (yes/no)
9b. Please explain
10. If you have already graduated, describe your activities since graduation and your planned activities prior to matriculation into medical school.

11. Added prompt to discuss if COVID-19 interrupted employment, research, anything significant.

275 word limit*

Secondary received just now. OOS. Verified July 09

Members don't see this ad :)
I noticed that they changed their limit from 750 characters to 275 words. That's a huge increase. For anyone who pre-wrote their responses, are you going to add more to it?

I noticed that they changed their limit from 750 characters to 275 words. That's a huge increase. For anyone who pre-wrote their responses, are you going to add more to it?
the worst thing ever! I pre-wrote the secondary and when i saw the increase i freaked out. I literally had to drag out my responses without being fluffy. 175 characters seemed way to short and people say to aim for at least 80% of the word count/character limit. I didn't hit 275 words for all the prompts though. (side note: this was the LONGEST secondary EVER)

Email notification of change to "Under Review" status today. Secondary submitted 7/20.

is there a chance of being accepted as a non-Christian? MSAR page clearly states the preference is for Christians...

• Hmm
is anyone an EDP applicant and had their application marked as complete?

275 word limit*

Hi! Is there any way you could make note of WHICH questions were 275 words limited? Like, are Q3/Q4 separate questions? Because the 2019/2020 prompt has them listed as one? Also are Q8/Q9 only 250 characters (or at least fewer than 275 words)? I saw last year that these two prompts are shorter than the others. Thanks again for sharing!

Sure!

No limits

6a. Please comment
9b. Please explain

Hi! Is there any way you could make note of WHICH questions were 275 words limited? Like, are Q3/Q4 separate questions? Because the 2019/2020 prompt has them listed as one? Also are Q8/Q9 only 250 characters (or at least fewer than 275 words)? I saw last year that these two prompts are shorter than the others. Thanks again for sharing!

All of them are 275 words max. Q3 and 4 are separate questions

I know Loma Linda has many Muslim faculty. Can any current non-Christian students or students of other faith groups share their experience, or maybe just confirm they exist to give us some hope and save us some secondary money. Would be much appreciated!

Hey, I wanted to introduce myself. I'm an incoming MS1 at LLU and this part of SDN was really helpful overall for secondaries during the application process (but not particularly helpful for LLU...). So, I'll be lurking around to answer some of your questions! I really don't know a lot about the school (since we officially start tomorrow) but I'll try to be as helpful as I can!

My DM is closed - if you have a question just post and tag me or something.
PS: I am a Christian, non-SDA

Reactions: 3 users
Hey, I wanted to introduce myself. I'm an incoming MS1 at LLU and this part of SDN was really helpful overall for secondaries during the application process (but not particularly helpful for LLU...). So, I'll be lurking around to answer some of your questions! I really don't know a lot about the school (since we officially start tomorrow) but I'll try to be as helpful as I can!

My DM is closed - if you have a question just post and tag me or something.
PS: I am a Christian, non-SDA

Thanks for helping. I'm Christian too, but non-SDA. Did you feel like religion was addressed during your interview? I won't ask your denomination but I'm genuinely curious in what they look for in religious, non-SDA applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for helping. I'm Christian too, but non-SDA. Did you feel like religion was addressed during your interview? I won't ask your denomination but I'm genuinely curious in what they look for in religious, non-SDA applicants.

It absolutely was addressed during one of my interviews, but I had a lot of leadership in a Christian group at my college. When I was writing my secondary to LLU, I heavily tied in my faith to my reasons for why medicine. So it came up more so because faith and medicine is something that I value and am passionate about, and less so because they ask every applicant about it.

With that said, you should be prepared to talk at least a little about religion - doesn't matter what religion really - because if you come to Loma Linda, you will have to deal with going to chapel, professors praying before classes, and learning to talk to patients about spiritual topics. And because a lot of other students are coming from faith backgrounds!

My second interview with a LLU student, we talked a little bit about religion - again, because it is so central to my "why LLU". But mostly I just asked the student all the questions I had about Loma Linda and SDA culture LOL

Reactions: 1 users
I know Loma Linda has many Muslim faculty. Can any current non-Christian students or students of other faith groups share their experience, or maybe just confirm they exist to give us some hope and save us some secondary money. Would be much appreciated!

I don't know, but I'll keep my eyes open and let you know if I find any!

Submitted 7/23 and still not marked complete.

@Shockwaver
Hi, I was wondering what kinds of service opportunities (e.g. free clinics) there are for medical students at LLUSM. I did read a little on Loma Linda Street Medicine and Social Action Community Health System - do med students get involved there as well?

Also, for one of the secondary questions asking about "the extent and source of [my] knowledge of LLUSM," would the answer be as heavily weighed as the other answers? I have zero family or friends in the medical field/zero connection, so most of my information on schools are from online searches... yikes :(

@Shockwaver
Hi, I was wondering what kinds of service opportunities (e.g. free clinics) there are for medical students at LLUSM. I did read a little on Loma Linda Street Medicine and Social Action Community Health System - do med students get involved there as well?

Also, for one of the secondary questions asking about "the extent and source of [my] knowledge of LLUSM," would the answer be as heavily weighed as the other answers? I have zero family or friends in the medical field/zero connection, so most of my information on schools are from online searches... yikes :(

Like you, I also have no connections to medicine. I would be honest with your answer to that question. I think I wrote down something about how I stumbled upon Loma Linda and after doing some research on the school from the website, I really connected with the mission. I had also randomly met some Loma Linda students one time at a conference so I mentioned that too.

There's a lot of service opportunities here. There's a healthy neighborhoods project that has lots of opportunities for community services, from mentoring, coaching, and tutoring kids to being paired up with a teen parent. Street medicine is part of this as well, and students can get involved with it. I'm not exactly sure how much students get involved with the SACHS clinic honestly. I haven't heard too much about it yet but it's something I'm interested in! There's a lot of need in the San Bernandino area, and Loma Linda is uniquely positioned to help.

submitted 8/4 and complete 8/4

Did you receive a complete email or just a "we have received your supplement" email. I submitted 7/30 with verification in early June and still have yet to receive a complete email...

Did you receive a complete email or just a "we have received your supplement" email. I submitted 7/30 with verification in early June and still have yet to receive a complete email...
"completed application"
also says my app is "active in the system" in the same email
is this the same one you got?

i submitted 7/28 (primary verified 5/28) and mine is still not marked complete either... i guess we gotta be patient haha

"completed application"
also says my app is "active in the system" in the same email
is this the same one you got?
I just got a "Secondary Application Received" email, but the email does say my app is "active" in the system. However, on Loma Linda's actual secondary portal, the status of my application still has a red x next to complete... that's mainly what I'm waiting for.

i submitted 7/28 (primary verified 5/28) and mine is still not marked complete either... i guess we gotta be patient haha
I just emailed them regarding expected timing of the complete status. I'll let y'all know what they say soon hopefully!

Finally got the complete and under review email. Submitted mid-July.

I just got a "Secondary Application Received" email, but the email does say my app is "active" in the system. However, on Loma Linda's actual secondary portal, the status of my application still has a red x next to complete... that's mainly what I'm waiting for.

I just emailed them regarding expected timing of the complete status. I'll let y'all know what they say soon hopefully!

Hey, did you ever hear back from them? I'm thinking about sending them an e-mail as I'm nearing my 3-week mark since submitting my secondary. but didn't know if it would even be worth it.

Hey, did you ever hear back from them? I'm thinking about sending them an e-mail as I'm nearing my 3-week mark since submitting my secondary. but didn't know if it would even be worth it.
Sorry I forgot to update. This is what they sent me:
"Thank you for contacting us regarding your application. We do have a lag between the time when you submit your application and when it is considered ready for review in our system, as we personally double check each item to be sure all is ready for the full review. This generally takes a few weeks, depending on where we are in the application cycle. "
So honestly idk but I guess on the day you hit 3 weeks maybe send them an email...?

i sent them an email and now they completed my file and placed it under review. I sent the email through secondary portal's communications tab.

Should I submit a secondary for here? Any insight is appreciated. Thank you guys
508 Mcat (2nd Try)
FSW GPA 4.0
UF: GPA 3.65
AMCAS GPAs: Cum: 3.84 Science: 3.76
Gay/ nonreligious
URM: Cuban

Should I submit a secondary for here? Any insight is appreciated. Thank you guys
508 Mcat (2nd Try)
FSW GPA 4.0
UF: GPA 3.65
AMCAS GPAs: Cum: 3.84 Science: 3.76
Gay/ nonreligious
URM: Cuban
i am applying with similar stats and URM as well. I think it is worth a shot! My gay heart fully supports it haha