2019-2020 Loma Linda

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got rejected earlier today, post interview. Still trying to get over the disappointment lol. Didnt get offer for biomed but I would have willingly accepted if it was offered, anyone know of anyone that asked to be in the program? According to their website you have to be offered it. Anyone think it's a good idea to call them and ask?

This journey is so challenging and humbling. I am sorry about your R. You could try to reply to the email you received the R from to inquire about Biomed.
I was offered the biomed last week friday and it came from the same email where the admission committee decision came from.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This journey is so challenging and humbling. I am sorry about your R. You could try to reply to the email you received the R from to inquire about Biomed.
I was offered the biomed last week friday and it came from the same email where the admission committee decision came from.
Very challenging indeed! Congratulations on biomed, do you think you'll take it? I'm thinking about sending an email in the morning if it's an option.

Got rejected earlier today, post interview. Still trying to get over the disappointment lol. Didnt get offer for biomed but I would have willingly accepted if it was offered, anyone know of anyone that asked to be in the program? According to their website you have to be offered it. Anyone think it's a good idea to call them and ask?
I’m sorry to hear about the R. I also have not received an A from anywhere so this is a very long and discouraging process unfortunately, but with time and perseverance I know we will all get there.
When did you interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m sorry to hear about the R. I also have not received an A from anywhere so this is a very long and discouraging process unfortunately, but with time and perseverance I know we will all get there.
When did you interview?
I feel the exact same way. I interviewed all the way back in October and had a really good experience and interview. But to be rejected almost 6 months later is a killer, because now it's too late to apply to any other biomed programs. That's why I'm really hoping for this one.

I feel the exact same way. I interviewed all the way back in October and had a really good experience and interview. But to be rejected almost 6 months later is a killer, because now it's too late to apply to any other biomed programs. That's why I'm really hoping for this one.
Sorry to hear about your disappointment. People say applying to medical school is like waiting to hear back from a job interview, but it's really so much worse. You spend thousands of dollars over several years preparing. You wait anxiously for your MCAT score, then secondaries, then interview offers, and then even after your interview you often wait months for a decision. The odds are less than half that you get in, so even through all of your interviews, you still have carry on like you've already failed and need to reapply.

I got WL at all the MD programs I interviewed at, and I'm waiting to hear from LLU. I was OK with it, because I got into a great DO program and because LLU is my top pick. I felt good about my interviews and my chances here, but each day feels like another step toward a wait-list and ultimately another "non-answer" rejection.

Reactions: 2 users
I would definitely call them! The worst they can do is say no, and maybe you could also ask for feedback on your application. I would try to get in contact with the assistant dean, she was really helpful in answering questions I had.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I just received a financial aid award email from LLU but haven't been accepted yet. Do they usually give out a financial aid statement to everyone regardless of acceptance status?

I just received a financial aid award email from LLU but haven't been accepted yet. Do they usually give out a financial aid statement to everyone regardless of acceptance status?
Did you complete your Fasfa?

I received one from them early last week. Still no offer. Financial Aid wouldn't answer whether they make awards to people who don't get offers, but they did say they are a separate thing from admissions. I scoured the web and couldn't find one example of a school giving a financial aid award and not an offer. There's no deadline to accept/reject, so I'd just sit on it for now. I tried writing admissions, but so far they've been slow to respond. It could be this craziness, but I kind of think they don't know what to say, lol. It's weird, right? I thought maybe it's a sign admissions plans to put me up for a vote and just hasn't gotten to it yet? They're probably all kinds of mixed up right now, having to work remote. It's got to be a good sign, but simultaneously it's hard not to have more hope than I should.

I received one from them early last week. Still no offer. Financial Aid wouldn't answer whether they make awards to people who don't get offers, but they did say they are a separate thing from admissions. I scoured the web and couldn't find one example of a school giving a financial aid award and not an offer. There's no deadline to accept/reject, so I'd just sit on it for now. I tried writing admissions, but so far they've been slow to respond. It could be this craziness, but I kind of think they don't know what to say, lol. It's weird, right? I thought maybe it's a sign admissions plans to put me up for a vote and just hasn't gotten to it yet? They're probably all kinds of mixed up right now, having to work remote. It's got to be a good sign, but simultaneously it's hard not to have more hope than I should.
Yea it definitely seems weird that the financial aid office would go through the trouble of reviewing a financial application and creating a packet for a student who ends up being rejected. Like you said, it's hard not to hope for more than I should LOL. Hopefully we hear back soon!

Placed on the alternate list. Anyone know what the alternate list movement is like? Also the email said the alternate list is unranked. How does that work? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Placed on the alternate list. Anyone know what the alternate list movement is like? Also the email said the alternate list is unranked. How does that work? Thanks in advance!
I was put on it this morning too. While I'm sure they've ranked all of their candidates, unranked lists allow schools to maintain diversity and balance in their class. Should say 20 women drop their offer, they aren't replaced by 10 men and 10 women.

It has the unfortunate side effect of basically leaving candidates in the dark for their odds. You could be 90 of 100 or you could be 2 of 100, and you wouldn't know it.

I just withdrew my A. Really hard decision. I hope one of y'all gets it.

Reactions: 5 users
Very challenging indeed! Congratulations on biomed, do you think you'll take it? I'm thinking about sending an email in the morning if it's an option.
yeah, I think I might. My friends from LLUSOM are trying to convince me to accept! Did you send them an email?

Last year's WL was pretty quiet and slow. I followed last years thread and the WL thread and LLU seemed like it was really quiet. I didn't get off the WL and I know at least one other person last year who didn't.

I'd consider writing up a letter of intent. If there are any letters of recommendation that you have on your end that you've received since applying I'd consider sending them too since your file is open to be updated until you get an R.

@CoronaryCabbage I think you should email them about biomed-- a few weeks back I was talking to my interviewer over email and I expressed that I would be more than happy to accept a biomed offer, and I think they took that information into account bc I ended up getting an offer. Rooting for you!

Last year's WL was pretty quiet and slow. I followed last years thread and the WL thread and LLU seemed like it was really quiet. I didn't get off the WL and I know at least one other person last year who didn't.

I'd consider writing up a letter of intent. If there are any letters of recommendation that you have on your end that you've received since applying I'd consider sending them too since your file is open to be updated until you get an R.
For whatever reason, this message board is much shorter than most for the size of the class. I would gander there's other ways the SDA community is sharing information, say through undergraduate colleges. I'm just guessing as to why, but it means you can't really use it gauge volume of responses/actions. Last year, their wait list was formed at the beginning of April, not the end. I'm also willing to bet those who had a choice were more reluctant to make it this year, because of the pandemic uncertainties and how late schools were giving responses. I predict that the MSAR data will still hold, and waitlists will move into mid- to late-May.
If you don't get any offers this year, however, definitely plan to reapply, or take a year off to improve your application.

Reactions: 1 users
@CoronaryCabbage I think you should email them about biomed-- a few weeks back I was talking to my interviewer over email and I expressed that I would be more than happy to accept a biomed offer, and I think they took that information into account bc I ended up getting an offer. Rooting for you!
how does biomed program work? you have to apply again to medical school? do you need to retake mcat if it expired?

Hey! I would like some advice from any current LLU students. Since I am still trying to save up and buy a car, I will have to do on-campus housing for my first year. How are the dorms at the university? I know that there are only two halls - Lindsay Hall and Daniells Hall. I tried looking for some videos or other discussion threads, but there isn't much information about the housing on the internet. Thanks!

Thank you for your post this gave me hope!! I sent you a pm!

Do alternates usually received financial aid emails as well? Received one last night but I thought those were for accepted students cause it mentions how I could use a LLU student ID number or the pin they gave me.

Do alternates usually received financial aid emails as well? Received one last night but I thought those were for accepted students cause it mentions how I could use a LLU student ID number or the pin they gave me.
Yes they do. You'll your given ID and pin whereas I believe accepted students will have an llu.edu email username they use

Yes I was on the WL last year and got an A this time around
Thanks for sharing the info! I asked Admissions about it, because it seemed like a mistake, and they never got back to me. We've been frenzied with speculation. It's good to know that I should probably be prepared just to move on with Plan B.

Hey! I would like some advice from any current LLU students. Since I am still trying to save up and buy a car, I will have to do on-campus housing for my first year. How are the dorms at the university? I know that there are only two halls - Lindsay Hall and Daniells Hall. I tried looking for some videos or other discussion threads, but there isn't much information about the housing on the internet. Thanks!

Hi, just want to say that not having a car doesn't necessarily consign you to on campus housing. There are many apartment complexes and houses 1-2 miles away and some even closer. Though if being in the dorms gives you access to a meal plan, it may be worth it since it may be harder to get groceries without a car.

I believe that there are 18 students in the MMS program so far

Do you know how many seats usually fill the class?
I believe 25 is the max they could have. But they had 12 students one year. So I don’t how the process goes. Did you email them?

They opened a biomed application for me today (interviewed late February).. is this a rejection from the MD program? Unsure of how this works
Are you going to accept biomed?

Hi, just want to say that not having a car doesn't necessarily consign you to on campus housing. There are many apartment complexes and houses 1-2 miles away and some even closer. Though if being in the dorms gives you access to a meal plan, it may be worth it since it may be harder to get groceries without a car.
I'd check zillow and the loma linda for sale/free (I think it's called) for listings. I actually already pre signed a house to rent right next to campus. I'm not sure about loma Linda, but at my undergrad university dorms were more expensive In the long run than off campus (plus a lot worse). People on the class Facebook page are also looking for roommates.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Gave up my A here best of luck everyone!!

Grew up 15 minutes from this school and visited their doctors office and emergency room on a few occasions. Mom even retired from LLU MC After 25 years of service. Got the big R. oh well, will miss the soy burger and dried fruits at LLU Market where I worked in high school. Very good Good Medical Center for sure. They took good care of me when that rattle snake bit me on a local golf corse. They produce good doctors.

Reactions: 1 users
Grew up 15 minutes from this school and visited their doctors office and emergency room on a few occasions. Mom even retired from LLU MC After 25 years of service. Got the big R. oh well, will miss the soy burger and dried fruits at LLU Market where I worked in high school. Very good Good Medical Center for sure. They took good care of me when that rattle snake bit me on a local golf corse. They produce good doctors.

so is LLU online for the fall semester?

so is LLU online for the fall semester?
I don't know as I will be packing my bags, leaving the IE, and haeded to Wake Forest.

Edit: Heading to Colorado instead of Wake Forest. Love LLU SOM too, but they don't love me. GL to you all.

Last edited:
I don't know as I will be packing my bags, leaving the IE, and haeded to Wake Forest.
Congrats!!! Sorry my initial question wasn’t supposed to by a response to your post

I was MMS this past year and we started with 23 students, which was the most the program has ever had. I don’t think there is a cap for how many students can be in the program since they are trying to grow it. Overall, it’s an EXCELLENT experience and I would hands-down accept it if you haven’t already. All of us in the program really love it. Try not to think of it as a rejection, but more of a “we want you in the class, we just want to make sure you have a good foundation first so you’ll succeed.” You take almost all of the same classes with the med students so no one really knows you aren’t an M1 unless you tell them. Also, you get a lot of time with the teachers to develop relationships so that’s a HUGE plus. It’s a lot of fun so if you get the offer, take it! There were also several people who were offered MMS from the Waitlist last year because there wasn’t room in the class but LLU still wanted them here. Good luck to you all. I hope we will all be classmates together next year!

PS- Admissions will be meeting on Wednesday (5/28) for another round of As/Rs so stay tuned Thursday/Friday if you haven’t heard back yet.

LLU will be online for the summer quarter but should be back on campus by fall quarter.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but when M1 students start after orientation on July 30, is that considered fall or summer term? It wasn't super clear to me based on the online academic calendars and whatnot.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but when M1 students start after orientation on July 30, is that considered fall or summer term? It wasn't super clear to me based on the online academic calendars and whatnot.
I believe summer term.
I have been looking for the online academic calendar... do you mind sharing the link?