2020-2021 Loma Linda

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For anyone who is already a student I have a question about living expenses! Are there any costs you might not automatically think of when calculating what student loans to take out? Any costs specific to Loma Linda?
Yea, besides tuition of ~64k, you can realistically expect another 24k which is there estimated totals costs. Those together are the Unsubsidized and Grad Plus loans I’ve taken out for my maximum amount that is not a private loan, because the interests are way better and pay back after school. Even though interest does accumulate. For those not accepted I’d say to expedite process if you are accepted make sure FAFSA is submitted that takes time to process. But Grad plus was over night for me. As far as loma linda specific, finding housing is a pain because southern Cali is pricy, and the good rentals are gone same day listed sometimes. If you have any more questions ask away, I check this pretty regularly cause I’m hoping for waitlist movement for y’all. Hang in there!

Ps. The Facebook is not full at all, 150 of 168 seats, but at least 8-10 are already students at LLU not in 25’s class, and I have seen some people that appear to have been called and recently accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Yea, besides tuition of ~64k, you can realistically expect another 24k which is there estimated totals costs. Those together are the Unsubsidized and Grad Plus loans I’ve taken out for my maximum amount that is not a private loan, because the interests are way better and pay back after school. Even though interest does accumulate. For those not accepted I’d say to expedite process if you are accepted make sure FAFSA is submitted that takes time to process. But Grad plus was over night for me. As far as loma linda specific, finding housing is a pain because southern Cali is pricy, and the good rentals are gone same day listed sometimes. If you have any more questions ask away, I check this pretty regularly cause I’m hoping for waitlist movement for y’all. Hang in there!

Ps. The Facebook is not full at all, 150 of 168 seats, but at least 8-10 are already students at LLU not in 25’s class, and I have seen some people that appear to have been called and recently accepted.
Random question just out of curiosity... i did a fair amount of research into how friendly the residency programs at each med school seems to be to their own graduating med students. LLU seemed to have a very strong presence of residents who went to med school at LLU, especially in some of the more competitive specialties. To me, this would make sense because they are so heavily mission-based and looking for applicants who fit that mission. To me, that seems like one of the biggest advantages of LLU. I was just wondering, from the perspective of a current LLU student, if this observation checks out?

Hello everyone! Im an upcoming MS1 at CUSM and me and some of my classmates have secured a 5 bed 3 bath house only 15 minutes from Loma Linda SOM $2600 a month ( roughly 520 per person ) + utilities. Its a super cheap deal and is close to all the inland empire medical schools. If you are interested please contact me as the person renting wants to have the lease settled by tomorrow and we need one more person on the lease! Contact me ASAP ! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Random question just out of curiosity... i did a fair amount of research into how friendly the residency programs at each med school seems to be to their own graduating med students. LLU seemed to have a very strong presence of residents who went to med school at LLU, especially in some of the more competitive specialties. To me, this would make sense because they are so heavily mission-based and looking for applicants who fit that mission. To me, that seems like one of the biggest advantages of LLU. I was just wondering, from the perspective of a current LLU student, if this observation checks out?
It is true that a good chunk of LLU med students attend residency here. This is for a couple reasons, and I think your observations are correct! First, being on the "inside" is perhaps the best advantage one could have when gunning for a particular residency spot. If ten applicants' stats are close to equal, the faculty usually choose the person they KNOW has good character and work ethic. This is the reason many students choose to rotate at other hospitals during their third and fourth years...to establish connections with their dream hospital's faculty...it goes a long way.

Another factor here is that hospitals often pick from their graduating residents for new hires. They want good doctors as much as students want good residencies. And commitment to the hospital's mission and to the region is part of that. LLU, as a private school, has a surprising amount of students with local connections. This contributes to the high percentages of LLU students attending residency here. The students want to stay at home and residencies are happy to take them knowing they are committed to working in the area.

In general, Loma Linda has been known to stay true to their students - not all institutions run like this and it is definitely a perk.

Reactions: 1 users
Just withdrew my LLU acceptance for a school closer to home. Wishing you all the best, and hope someone gets that A!

Reactions: 2 users
Got the WL acceptance call at 9 am ish this morning!

Reactions: 3 users
Got the WL acceptance call at 9 am ish this morning!
Congrats!!! I wonder if this means that movement is officially starting and we will see more WL A’s soon!

Reactions: 1 user
Got my acceptance of the WL June 10 around 2 PM!
Congratulations! 🎉

Curious if you had submitted a LOI or update since being waitlisted? I’m wondering how they are selecting people to call off the waitlist.

Hey guys, called this morning to ask about waitlist movement and they said there is no more movement or waitlist activity to report at this time

Hey guys, called this morning to ask about waitlist movement and they said there is no more movement or waitlist activity to report at this time
thanks for letting us know! hopefully there will be more movement in July...

Members don't see this ad :)
It just seems to me like LLU has been moving at their own (incredibly slow) pace all cycle long. They, and just about every school, could do such a better job at being considerate of their applicants. I understand that some of it is beyond LLU’s control at this point, but they could at least communicate and be more transparent about what they have been seeing.

The AAMC needs to do a better job at abbreviating the whole application process tbh. There is literally no need to be stringing it out for over a year while the next cycle is already started.

Congratulations! 🎉

Curious if you had submitted a LOI or update since being waitlisted? I’m wondering how they are selecting people to call off the waitlist.
I did not submit anything following wait list. I interviewed 10/2020 and waitlisted 4/2021. accepted 6/2021.

It just seems to me like LLU has been moving at their own (incredibly slow) pace all cycle long. They, and just about every school, could do such a better job at being considerate of their applicants. I understand that some of it is beyond LLU’s control at this point, but they could at least communicate and be more transparent about what they have been seeing.

The AAMC needs to do a better job at abbreviating the whole application process tbh. There is literally no need to be stringing it out for over a year while the next cycle is already started.
Having been on the WL and seeing people go through that process I can see why the process can be frustrating. From personal experience, I would approach a WL like an "R until further notice". I'd approach everything like an R and would start up apps for the next cycle however still completing required paperwork for WL schools just in case I do get taken off those WL. Yeah, being in limbo is terrible and requires so much more work then if you know for sure you got an A or R. Unfortunately that's just part of the process but if you want that A I think it should be worth it if it's through the WL route. I agree with, there has to be a better way to set up the application/WL process but this is what we have to work with for now. Hopefully you remember this experience in the future and can be part of that change.

Also, I know people from last cycle who got off the WL literally the week before the year started (for LLU and other SoCal schools). They were deep into the reapp process with secondaries and everything so I'm hoping that is some encouragement that something can still happen. Hopefully things work out for you this cycle, good luck and keep pushing forward!

Accepted off the waitlist June 15th in the afternoon. I was accepted for the AdventHealth Orlando / Loma Linda program. They had decided to offer that program to students of our class that very day. I will be coming home to Orlando for my last 2 years of rotations!

I withdrew my acceptance yesterday because I got an offer from my state school and I couldn’t pass up in state tuition. Hope someone else gets my spot! Loma is a special place!

I withdrew my acceptance yesterday because I got an offer from my state school and I couldn’t pass up in state tuition. Hope someone else gets my spot! Loma is a special place!
Nice that's awesome! Excited to see who that lucky someone will be join to join the class of 2025

Got accepted off the waitlist yesterday (7/5) in the afternoon. Non SDA but christian, went to christian u for undergrad, lots of ties to LLU, 512MCAT, 3.63 GPA

now a tough decision to make!

• Love
Got accepted off the waitlist yesterday (7/5) in the afternoon. Non SDA but christian, went to christian u for undergrad, lots of ties to LLU, 512MCAT, 3.63 GPA

now a tough decision to make!
Were you accepted to the Orlando, FL track as well?

hey all, I also got accepted off waitlisted last night and took the spot. I've been following this thread for a while and just thought I'd let you all know, though I am so hoping that there are still spaces for the rest of you. good luck friends.

hey all, I also got accepted off waitlisted last night and took the spot. I've been following this thread for a while and just thought I'd let you all know, though I am so hoping that there are still spaces for the rest of you. good luck friends.
Congrats! I got accepted about a month ago. Let me know if you have any questions we can chat on FB or just text

Hey guys. This may be a silly question, but we are being charged for books(~$1k+), however, we also were sent a list of textbooks. Do we buy those? Where is the $1k+ we are being charged going toward?

Hey guys. This may be a silly question, but we are being charged for books(~$1k+), however, we also were sent a list of textbooks. Do we buy those? Where is the $1k+ we are being charged going toward?
Just to add on to what was mentioned above, you may also want to budget out the possibility of purchasing a subscription based study resource or even miscellaneous SOM purchases (e.g. the LLUSM Patagonia jacket; ~$200-300) . The SOM made a group purchase for Amboss last year and I believe it was $400 charged onto the student account (not part of your tuition). Same goes for the jacket purchase. They're all optional purchases however those purchases come up on the fly

Congrats on your acceptance! Do you by any chance remember what area code the number that called you for admission was?