2020-2021 Minnesota, Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Nope. I was rejected by this time last cycle, so happy to have not heard from them so far :p

but no interviews?

why would they reject you this early? wouldn't they wait until march after they're done sending out interviews?

but no interviews?

why would they reject you this early? wouldn't they wait until march after they're done sending out interviews?

They must of really disliked me the last time I applied! I got the R like 1-2 weeks after I submitted. This year, I'm about a month out and no news!

Hi guys,

I need some help on whether I should I apply:

Some things about me:

1) 3.74 GPA and 499 MCAT (125/120/126/128)
2) I am URM --- English is my 3rd language (this should not be an excuse for my low CARS score)
3) great extracurricular activities
a) 3+ years of research in molecular genetics
b) two first author publications (cancer research)
c) research thesis
d) poster presentation at a big conference
e) shadow 4 physicians (100 hr totals)
d) tutor for 7 years (~1400 hrs to date)
4) I have compelling personal statement and disadvantaged statement
5) work in a hospital
6) great letter of rec (I hope lol)
I also have other activities I won't list because of space

I also have connections to MN

But do you guys think I should apply?

Hi guys,

I need some help on whether I should I apply:

Some things about me:

1) 3.74 GPA and 499 MCAT (125/120/126/128)
2) I am URM --- English is my 3rd language (this should not be an excuse for my low CARS score)
3) great extracurricular activities
a) 3+ years of research in molecular genetics
b) two first author publications (cancer research)
c) research thesis
d) poster presentation at a big conference
e) shadow 4 physicians (100 hr totals)
d) tutor for 7 years (~1400 hrs to date)
4) I have compelling personal statement and disadvantaged statement
5) work in a hospital
6) great letter of rec (I hope lol)
I also have other activities I won't list because of space

I also have connections to MN

But do you guys think I should apply?
How strong are your connections to MN? With MCAT optional, it may be a good year for you to apply. Last year someone was accepted with a 500, so anything is possible. Your app looks super strong otherwise! :)

How strong are your connections to MN? With MCAT optional, it may be a good year for you to apply. Last year someone was accepted with a 500, so anything is possible. Your app looks super strong otherwise! :)
Thank you @GalaxyBrain

I have family in MN (Twin Cities area) and I often visit there. My volunteering mostly focus on underserved communities which is something I think MN likes.

I also did some international volunteering and I had to to work 2 jobs in college and still do. The only thing holding me back is my MCAT, but I think I will give it a try and see what happens.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone recently take the SJT / just have thoughts about it?

Reactions: 1 users
first R of the cycle

not sure what i did wrong to receive one so immediately. they didn't even wait to receive my situational judgment test score, which i took yesterday lol

• Sad
first R of the cycle

not sure what i did wrong to receive one so immediately. they didn't even wait to receive my situational judgment test score, which i took yesterday lol
I’m sorry to hear that! Good luck your other schools. Would you mind sharing when you completed?

I’m sorry to hear that! Good luck your other schools. Would you mind sharing when you completed?
Here's my timeline:

"verified" by minnesota, to be screened 7/22
pass screen, received supplemental app 7/24
complete 8/5

looking back i guess i was cutting it pretty close to the two week mark, think i submitted 10 or 11 days after

first R of the cycle

Sorry to hear this! Are you IS or OOS? Do you mind sharing gpa/mcat stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dang, I'm also LizzyM 74, OOS, never been to Minnesota. I wish MN would reject me now if they're going to so I don't have to take the SJT in an hour lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
first R of the cycle

Sorry to hear that. I hope your other interviews goes well. So MN don't care how we do on our SJT exam? I am surprised that they did not wait until they get your scores.

Sorry to hear that. I hope your other interviews goes well. So MN don't care how we do on our SJT exam? I am surprised that they did not wait until they get your scores.

See my message above, but the SJT is optional this year and according to the admissions presentation they had last month they are not using it at all in making admissions decisions this cycle!

Anyone recently take the SJT / just have thoughts about it?
Took it last night, and it was terrible. It just seems so ridiculous that they grade objectively on quite subjective circumstances. Also, it asks you to rate the effectiveness of a response, but for a lot of the cases, the desired outcome wasn't always clear, so some of the responses could potentially be argued as being effective or ineffective depending on what the end goal is. I really hope for future premeds' sake that they don't implement it, because although CASPer is a total money grab, this seems even less accurate to assessing any sort of objective qualities in an applicant. Sorry for the pessimistic ramble, but just my two cents.

Took the SJT a little while ago, and I’m very glad for the intel from @premed1996 that they won’t be counting it this cycle :diebanana:

For those who have take SJT, how long did the entire process take you all in total? coz I have an interview on the morning I signed up for the test lol

For those who have take SJT, how long did the entire process take you all in total? coz I have an interview on the morning I signed up for the test lol
It took me an hour and twenty minutes

~10 minutes for all the checks and stuff + 45 minutes for the exam. The SJT itself is annoying... but this year is them really beta-testing the whole thing.

They were my first R. Got the email last night. Wondering what the red flag was to get rejected this early, but I have an II to another school so hopefully, nothing too glaring? Still stings though.

OOS with state ties, ORM, LizzyM of 70 (low-mediocre GPA/high MCAT), complete on August 5th.

They were my first R. Got the email last night. Wondering what the red flag was to get rejected this early, but I have an II to another school so hopefully, nothing too glaring? Still stings though.

OOS with state ties, ORM, LizzyM of 70 (low-mediocre GPA/high MCAT), complete on August 5th.

I wouldn't over-analyze it.

It seems like early rejections are overwhelmingly OOS unfortunately. They seem to have a pretty strong preference for local candidates.

Don't take it too hard, especially since you already have another II. That's always a good sign.

Sorry to hear. I thought they are screening mostly on GPA, letters of rec, extracurricular activities... and masking the MCAT score during the initial review? Do you mind sharing your GPA? Thanks!

Sorry to hear. I thought they are screening mostly on GPA, letters of rec, extracurricular activities... and masking the MCAT score during the initial review? Do you mind sharing your GPA? Thanks!
My GPA is well within their ranges. It's a 3.5x cGPA and a 3.4x sGPA.

Any guesses on when UMN is going to bless us with some IIs? Looks like they started last week of August last year.

Any guesses on when UMN is going to bless us with some IIs? Looks like they started last week of August last year.
My guess is since they arent starting interviews until october this cycle maybe after labor day they will start sending out? Or the week after? I know, im anxiously waiting too!!

My guess is since they arent starting interviews until october this cycle maybe after labor day they will start sending out? Or the week after? I know, im anxiously waiting too!!

Damn, when did they say interviews weren't until October?

I know they started around the 2nd week of September last year.

I might even have my decision from Duluth by the time the Twin Cities starts interviews at this rate...

Damn, when did they say interviews weren't until October?

I know they started around the 2nd week of September last year.

I might even have my decision from Duluth by the time the Twin Cities starts interviews at this rate...

They mentioned it in the admissions presentation held last month and is also on their website under the COVID related stuff!

They mentioned it in the admissions presentation held last month and is also on their website under the COVID related stuff!

From their website:

"Based on the recommendation of the first reviewers, candidates will be invited to campus for an interview between September and February."

So, maybe we will see interview invites in the month of September?

Submitted my secondary here on day 17 of getting it, so after the “strongly recommended” 2 weeks deadline. I am an IS applicant here. Feeling super neurotic about missing the two weeks window. Any thoughts would be highly appreciated!

Submitted my secondary here on day 17 of getting it, so after the “strongly recommended” 2 weeks deadline. I am an IS applicant here. Feeling super neurotic about missing the two weeks window. Any thoughts would be highly appreciated!

I’m also in a similar boat. IS applicant and I submitted my secondary about a week after the strongly encouraged two week deadline, but it was mostly because I had covid for 14 days around the time I got my secondary. I don’t think a few days/week will be detrimental to our apps this cycle, given the circumstances. As long as we aren’t submitting months after the secondary invite. However, I’m a little nervous as well. Hoping for the best!

Do we HAVE to complete the AAMC’s version of the Casper test? I take mine tomorrow, but don’t feel like taking it

Do we HAVE to complete the AAMC’s version of the Casper test? I take mine tomorrow, but don’t feel like taking it
You don't have to, it's just recommended by the university to do so. However, they have mentioned that it will not play a role in the admissions decision for this cycle. From their site:

"To further enhance our holistic review process during the 2021 application cycle, we are strongly encouraging applicants to complete an online situational judgment test (SJT), administered by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC), to assess the pre-professional competencies that our admissions committee believes are essential for success at our medical school. If scores are ultimately shown to enhance our holistic process, we may consider them as one part of our admission decisions."

Could anyone tell me whether or not the prerequisites have to be taken for a letter grade, or does P/NP suffice? Thanks!

Could anyone tell me whether or not the prerequisites have to be taken for a letter grade, or does P/NP suffice? Thanks!
From the website -
  • Our preference would be for all prerequisite courses to have a letter grade. We will only accept prerequisites with a grade of “pass/fail” for the Spring 2020 and Summer 2020 semesters.

II just now!!! LM 74, OOS with strong ties, ORM, complete 8/6

II just now.

LM 66.5, WARS 75, IS, non-traditional, ORM, completed Early August.

Interviews are still in MMI format. They mention that there will be at least one session that is longer and more free-form. Interviews are half-day sessions (3.5 hours long in the mornings).

Earliest interview was Oct 8th (I think) and ran through the month.

They also mentioned that a second half-day interview with faculty, current students, etc. will be available (and optional) and details will be sent out before the first interview.

All interviews on Zoom.

Pretty excited, as I didn't get an interview here last year. Hopefully it means good things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
What they said ^ !! Reapplying and interviewed here last year. Still stoked. In-State.

Does Minnesota let you know if they arent interviewing you early on or do they wait until the end of the cycle? As in, do they tell you when you have been reviewed?

Does Minnesota let you know if they arent interviewing you early on or do they wait until the end of the cycle? As in, do they tell you when you have been reviewed?

When I applied last year, my rejection came mid-November (no II). Only email I ever got before that was that my secondaries had been received.

I get the impression that both Minnesota campuses try to send out information (both acceptances and rejections) fairly quick.

Last edited by a moderator: