2020-2021 Minnesota, Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats when were you complete? Stats?
Complete 8/11, mcat 506, gpa 3.6 something. I’m IS and have worked with the admin committee before so I’m guessing that’s helping my low stats case!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the R now. Complete 8/16, low GPA/above average MCAT (per MSAR), OOS so not really that suprised.
I think someone earlier mentioned the R email is really nice, and it is! I think I spent the longest time writing the supplementary for this school, so it's nice to see the effort they put into the letter. It helped cushion the blow a little. Good luck to everyone else!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Just got the R now. Complete 8/16, low GPA/above average MCAT (per MSAR), OOS so not really that suprised.
I think someone earlier mentioned the R email is really nice, and it is! I think I spent the longest time writing the supplementary for this school, so it's nice to see the effort they put into the letter. It helped cushion the blow a little. Good luck to everyone else!
Sorry about the R :( yeah UMN is very IS heavy.. did you get the email today? Seems odd theyre sending emails on the weekend now lol

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry about the R :( yeah UMN is very IS heavy.. did you get the email today? Seems odd theyre sending emails on the weekend now lol
Yup, I got it about 30 mins ago! I was surprised too, wasn't expecting it so it caught me slightly off guard. Yea I knew it would be an uphill battle being OOS, but I liked the school so much I didn't want to not try :)

Reactions: 1 users
Yup, I got it about 30 mins ago! I was surprised too, wasn't expecting it so it caught me slightly off guard. Yea I knew it would be an uphill battle being OOS, but I liked the school so much I didn't want to not try :)
Dang now I gotta worry on the weekends too.. how fun haha. Good luck to you this cycle :)

anybody else surprised that they're giving out R's before the SJT results even came out? that seems a bit unfair just from my perspective.

anybody else surprised that they're giving out R's before the SJT results even came out? that seems a bit unfair just from my perspective.
It doesnt really surprise me considering they said theyre not using it to make admissions decisions this cycle

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesnt really surprise me considering they said theyre not using it to make admissions decisions this cycle

I concur. It’s a trial of a new tool. And it honestly seems like it would still be one of the lesser factors in offering interviews so it’s entirely possible that the other factors would be enough for a decision.

interesting, i was under the impression that it was being used in conjunction with other factors to determine admissions decisions.

interesting, i was under the impression that it was being used in conjunction with other factors to determine admissions decisions.

Here’s some more detail:

Attachments

• A320CA9C-6098-4E28-8215-2C3AF2D7B217.png
    A320CA9C-6098-4E28-8215-2C3AF2D7B217.png
    199.7 KB · Views: 140
Got the R last night, LM 79, OOS with no state ties, complete 8/12. Best of luck everyone.

• Care
sorry about that, hopefully someting else works out, was it by email ?

I appreciate it! I'm not terribly surprised since I was applying OOS.

It was by email, kind of shocking to get an R at 5PM on a Sunday.

I appreciate it! I'm not terribly surprised since I was applying OOS.

It was by email, kind of shocking to get an R at 5PM on a Sunday.
gotcha, and yeah that is shocking...i've even heard some schools will call for interview, which is even worse.

gotcha, and yeah that is shocking...i've even heard some schools will call for interview, which is even worse.
good in the sense that you getting an II, but bad in the sense for those of us that work and are scared if we miss the call they'll never call back LOL

good in the sense that you getting an II, but bad in the sense for those of us that work and are scared if we miss the call they'll never call back LOL

Agreed, I usually don't even pick up calls from unsaved numbers

Have any MSTP applicants received any II yet?

For people who got II last week— when did you schedule your interview for? Just curious to see how far out they are scheduling rn since I havent heard anything and just getting anxious haha

For people who got II last week— when did you schedule your interview for? Just curious to see how far out they are scheduling rn since I havent heard anything and just getting anxious haha
mine is nov 19th and that was the lost spot in nov, the rest of the options were in dec

I received an II Sunday and the earliest spot open was December 3rd

Just did my interview.

Obviously can't say much because they make us sign an NDA, but regardless of if I get accepted or not, that was one of the easiest interviews I have ever done for anything in my entire life. I genuinely think it was easier than the Duluth interview.

None of the MMI stations were even remotely complicated, no curveball questions, and really relaxed and easygoing environment. If you do this interview, go in prepared but relaxed and you'll rock it 100%.

Also, they mentioned that the first review of applications doesn't start until next week and they are expecting to notify us of their decision in 4-6 weeks (it will take longer if you are interviewed later in the cycle).

Few other random tidbits:
-They don't accept any updates after your interview day.
-The admissions committee won't know if you sent any "thank you" letters/emails.
-The admissions committee only knows if you are a re-applicant or not, but they have no information on any prior applications.
-Waitlist isn't ranked until the spring and if you are on the waitlist you won't hear anything until after March at the earliest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 users
Just did my interview.

Obviously can't say much because they make us sign an NDA, but regardless of if I get accepted or not, that was one of the easiest interviews I have ever done for anything in my entire life. I genuinely think it was easier than the Duluth interview.

None of the MMI stations were even remotely complicated, no curveball questions, and really relaxed and easygoing environment. If you do this interview, go in prepared but relaxed and you'll rock it 100%.

Also, they mentioned that the first review of applications doesn't start until next week and they are expecting to notify us of their decision in 4-6 weeks (it will take longer if you are interviewed later in the cycle).

Few other random tidbits:
-They don't accept any updates after your interview day.
-The admissions committee won't know if you sent any "thank you" letters/emails.
-The admissions committee only knows if you are a re-applicant or not, but they have no information on any prior applications.
-Waitlist isn't ranked until the spring and if you are on the waitlist you won't hear anything until after March at the earliest.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I am nervous and reading your message put me at ease.

Thanks! When were you complete? Stats?
Complete 8/2 IS cGPA 3.71 sGPA 3.5 and MCAT not so great lol. I don't have very high hopes this cycle but I think it will be good to get interview experience since I plan on retaking the MCAT and reapplying next year! Good luck to everyone!

LOL bombed the SJT

Same. Kind of interesting TBH, I've held multiple leadership positions where I've been responsible for making tough calls in ambiguous situations, especially during COVID. My decision making ability in such circumstances was one of the things my boss told me was a positive on my yearly eval. Guess I need to show her the results so she can know I'm actually incompetent :p

Now I'm really interested in seeing how this tests pans out in the future. Does it actually turn out to be really predictive of success/ethical behavior/etc?

There goes my chance at UMN /s

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Same. Kind of interesting TBH, I've held multiple leadership positions where I've been responsible for making tough calls in ambiguous situations, especially during COVID. My decision making ability in such circumstances was one of the things my boss was praising me for on my yearly eval. Guess I need to show her the results so she can know I'm actually incompetent :p

Now I'm really interested in seeing how this tests pans out in the future. Does it actually turn out to be really predictive of success/ethical behavior/etc?

There goes my chance at UMN /s
So, do we think they are really not going to use the SJT as consideration for this application cycle?

So, do we think they are really not going to use the SJT as consideration for this application cycle?
Thats what they claim but yeah I guess we’ll never know haha.. idk maybe itll be used for waitlist ranking or something? Also, idk I actually did well on it so hoping that helps ha

I wish I read what each rank meant instead of taking it literally for what it meant. Oh man, there goes my chance of being accepted to U!

"No, applicants are not required to take the AAMC SJT. Your application will be considered complete if you do not have an AAMC SJT score. While the admissions committee may see that you did not take the AAMC SJT, they will be instructed to disregard missing AAMC SJT scores."

That last sentences means they certainly are looking at them. My guess is having no score is likely better than having a bad score. A bad score is going to look bad even if they are instructed not to consider it. We've all taken enough psychology to know that just instructing someone to "not consider" something doesn't actually work (otherwise implicit racism in job/school applications would be solved by just telling people to not let names/looks influence their decisions).

So yeah, going to go with RIP my chances at UMN.

I wish I read what each rank meant instead of taking it literally for what it meant. Oh man, there goes my chance of being accepted to U!

Yeah, few notes on that.
1. I found myself trying to rank them, even though the instructions explicitly said not to rank answers. Reading a possible response to the situation later on definitely made me reconsider many of my prior choices as certain choices definitely did not both deserve being selected as most effective (or whatever it was called again). How can you not rank answers to some effect?
2. The ideal outcome of some situations was poorly defined, while others were very clear. In a made up example - was the ideal outcome that we finish our work on time or learn how to work as a team? Without more context, it is hard to answer questions like that. Both are important and which one is more important depends on context. Multiple choice answers don't allow for addressing such nuances.
3. As a more of a subpoint to 2, there are often many right answers and only a few wrong answers to ethical situation tests. Again, multiple choice doesn't allow for addressing situations that have some grey area.

Last edited:
Thats what they claim but yeah I guess we’ll never know haha.. idk maybe itll be used for waitlist ranking or something? Also, idk I actually did well on it so hoping that helps ha
At an admissions presentation earlier this year they said they weren’t using it at all this cycle, so it’ll be interesting to see what happens

I'm crushed. I am a person who excels at psych and CARs over hard sciences. I have an extensive background in leadership with two major tech brands (where culture and judgement are KEY) and yet, I got an absolutely dismal result on this exam. As others have said, I wish I had opted not to take it. I am truly curious as to what the SJT deemed the "best" answers.

Reactions: 3 users
How do they even grade this test?? I thought I had a good judgement... guess not

The practice exam gave clues to what the "right" answers were.

It seemed pretty evident to me that the exam was looking for a very specific mindset when determining "right" answers. I'm glad I wasn't able to take the test.

That said, I think it's a bit cynical to think that the ADCOM will automatically use these scores when the school as explicitly said that they won't this cycle.

What are guys thinking is such a bad score? I scored 76th percentile (6) which I feel like is fine but you guys are making me nervous

Reactions: 5 users
The practice exam gave clues to what the "right" answers were.

It seemed pretty evident to me that the exam was looking for a very specific mindset when determining "right" answers. I'm glad I wasn't able to take the test.

That said, I think it's a bit cynical to think that the ADCOM will automatically use these scores when the school as explicitly said that they won't this cycle.
I remember that too, but source?

What are guys thinking is such a bad score? I scored 76th percentile (6) which I feel like is fine but you guys are making me nervous
No your score is good! :) I was talking about how some us including myself got very poor score..like a 1..

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
No your score is good! :) I was talking about how some us including myself got very poor score..like a 1..

I wouldn't sweat it - highly doubt they're looking at this much if at all. Possibly only looking to see if there is some kind of relation between a score and an admissions decision, if I had to guess.

I remember that too, but source?

Aside from the quote earlier, I think it was Premed1996 that mentioned (much earlier in the thread) that they had attended the virtual admissions talks in the summer and that the school had said that they won't use the scores and that it's truly optional to take.