2020-2021 Minnesota, Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Haven’t we already seen reports on this forum of people being accepted off the waitlist? I think it’s overly optimistic to think that there’s still a third of the class available now, two weeks after everyone with an initial acceptance had to tell Minnesota their intent to enroll and after waitlist movement has already begun. If four weeks from now everyone on the forum is getting accepted than I will be so overjoyed to be wrong, but, and I say this with love as your classmate, I think giving people false hope is exactly what you’re doing.

Also, there are probably a number of people who PTE’d at the U who may be waiting to get off the WL at another school.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
alright, people were not happy with my perspective and are saying I’m attacking an applicant because we disagreed. My lips are sealed and I hope I’m wrong 🤐

Members don't see this ad :)
Because I care about my fellow applicants, I’ve been rejected before, and I think false hope hurts more
I’m not telling you to chill because of your opinion. I’m telling you to chill because your last sentence condescendingly put down another person’s perspective. No one likes false hope. You are more than allowed to express your opinion. Just don’t be condescending to others/put down others in the process.

Reactions: 1 user
people have been waiting 12+ weeks and negativity from someone who was already accepted is not going to help

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys. Just wanted to let you know that I just received the R this afternoon. I interviewed on 1/7 and was waitlisted. It is such a bummer, but I trust God has plans for me. I wish you all the best of luck whether you start med school this fall or are reapplying. Thank you all so much for keeping me sane throughout this whole process. <3
I’m in the same boat. Also got the R this afternoon after being waitlisted last week. Interviewed 2/16. If anyone has tips on getting over the discouraging feeling please share. Truly bummed.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
I’m not telling you to chill because of your opinion. I’m telling you to chill because your last sentence condescendingly put down another person’s perspective. No one likes false hope. You are more than allowed to express your opinion. Just don’t be condescending to others/put down others in the process.
Thank you for sharing you’re perspective, but I don’t think that’s your place to say. We’re going to have to agree to disagree that I think you’re giving people false hope is a condescending response to the statement I’m not trying to give people false hope, but if Galaxybrain felt condescended to, then they’re certainly capable of reaching out to me in private to say so and I’ll be happy to apologize to them.

Having worked with dozens of doctors who graduated from the U, they are notorious and always have been notorious for late WL acceptances. It ain’t over until it’s over.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m in the same boat. Also got the R this afternoon after being waitlisted last week. Interviewed 2/16. If anyone has tips on getting over the discouraging feeling please share. Truly bummed.

[mention]mkpaw [/mention] [mention]thatpremedgal [/mention] sending hugs to you both. you guys got this and will make amazing doctors no matter where you go.

• Love
I know how you feel. I was WL at my top choice several months ago. I laid in bed for the majority of the day. But then I got off my butt to go buy ice cream and to take a relaxing hike. Seriously, it takes time. What you can do is just distract yourself with something else that is not related to applying to medical school.

• Love
Hey gang, just took a fat R from the WL like an hour ago. Interviewed 1/28 as an IS applicant. Obviously not what I wanted, as this is home and where I plan to call home going forward, but congratulations to everyone who was able to get an A from this school. Also, best of luck to everyone still waiting. It's a cruel game to play.

• Care
people have been waiting 12+ weeks and negativity from someone who was already accepted is not going to help
Alright, as someone who was rejected from medical school multiple times (including from the U), I thought, and think, that the perspective of “it’s good to hope for the best and plan for the worst” was something that some people would benefit from hearing. I certainly wish I had heard that more often years ago. But I didn’t expect, after 8 months of supporting and rejoicing with applicants here, that one post saying maybe we’re being too optimistic when we know wait list decisions have already begun would get all these accusations of negativity and condescension. That’s probably going to be my last SDN post in this thread for a while. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back: I hope Minnesota gives you the good news, but even if they don’t, you’re all going to be fantastic physicians ❤️

Members don't see this ad :)
Y’all I was not trying to start anything here. I was simply trying to voice my perspective that the vast majority of WL movement will be happening after all candidates are reviewed out of fairness to those who interviewed late, which I still stand by. I don’t think that’s giving false hope, but Katie and I will just have to agree to disagree.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I’m just trying to take the positive route. I think everyone here is of sound mind to realize the reality of this process. However many people interviewed at the upwards of 6-10 schools this year and there is bound to be withdrawals as people move around.

I’m just trying to take the positive route. I think everyone here is of sound mind to realize the reality of this process. However many people interviewed at the upwards of 6-10 schools this year and there is bound to be withdrawals as people move around. One of my acceptances already went to someone else and if MN accepts me, someone else waiting will get my spot at another school.
The medical school application process is a brutal one. Can we all just promise that when we get to the other side, we change it for the better?

Also got the R this afternoon :( interviewed 1/19 and am IS. Super surprised and disappointed but it is what it is. Sending all the love and best wishing to everyone still waiting to hear back 💛

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
also got slammed with the post WL R. was feeling incredibly down on myself for a minute after reading the email. but after a couple of brewskies, and realizing that this process was never meant to be an easy one, I accepted my fate. I posted this in the waitlist support thread, but also want to post this here. in life there are always blips, but you must "zoom out" of the chart sometimes, and look at the overall upward trend. realize that this rejection is nothing but some minor noise in the data. we fall, only to rise again my friends. stay positive, appreciate your health and the health of your family and friends, and keep on grinding. the process is a random one, and as someone who is a few years older, I will just let you know....it is true what they say. a year, or even a few years...wont make a difference in the long run. stay focused, stay busy, and I look forward to meeting you all again for another crazy cycle ahead. good luck, love u peeps.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 18 users
also got slammed with the post WL R. was feeling incredibly down on myself for a minute after reading the email. but after a couple of brewskies, and realizing that this process was never meant to be an easy one, I accepted my fate. I posted this in the waitlist support thread, but also want to post this here. in life there are always blips, but you must "zoom out" of the chart sometimes, and look at the overall upward trend. realize that this rejection is nothing but some minor noise in the data. we fall, only to rise again my friends. stay positive, appreciate your health and the health of your family and friends, and keep on grinding. the process is a random one, and as someone who is a few years older, I will just let you know....it is true what they say. a year, or even a few years...wont make a difference in the long run. stay focused, stay busy, and I look forward to meeting you all again for another crazy cycle ahead. good luck, love u peeps.
You’ve been so great and supportive on this thread! I know we’ll all be physicians one day. Good luck to you

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Hey all. This is random, and I'm sorry if this is not the right page for this sort of thing (let me know), but I'm looking for fellow med student roommates - anyone else also looking? It would be me and my partner. Also I'm ideally looking for others who would enjoy vegetarian cooking/be vegetarian but I know that's maybe a long shot.

Hey all. This is random, and I'm sorry if this is not the right page for this sort of thing (let me know), but I'm looking for fellow med student roommates - anyone else also looking? It would be me and my partner. Also I'm ideally looking for others who would enjoy vegetarian cooking/be vegetarian but I know that's maybe a long shot.
Hey! Are you in the GroupMe for the incoming class?? There was a spreadsheet floating around in there that folks interesting in finding roommates were filling out

Hey! Are you in the GroupMe for the incoming class?? There was a spreadsheet floating around in there that folks interesting in finding roommates were filling out
Oh hey that sounds like just what I am looking for! But no I am not in there yet - did they send out info somewhere about joining it?

I know by now people might be losing hope for Minnesota but I wish everyone the best this week anyhow! 💕

Has anyone been accepted/rejected after a post-interview WL (or know of anyone who has), or are they still only reviewing/deciding on applicants who have not yet received a post-interview decision?
I answered my own question.... got the rejection email on Friday around 2:30 PM. IS, interviewed 10/19, and on the WL since 11/25.

Best of luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear back!

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
Alright, I can't really handle waiting any more... Manifesting some movement this week!!!

• Care
Joining this thread because I got my WL email a little over a week ago and oof.

• Care
Soooooo we think the rest of February interviews will hear this week?

Just wanted to chime in with an update I got from admissions. A higher number than usual of accepties this year have indicated a "plan to enroll" to Minnesota. As a result, according to Diane, they expect the pace of waitlist movement to be low until July 1st (their commit to enroll deadline), when they anticipate a "bit of a small surge in acceptances." Hopefully this doesn't get me in trouble for being too negative, but it seems like they're not anticipating many acceptances going out in the next 6 weeks, and, even after, the language she used doesn't sound like we should be expecting a rush of a third of the class getting accepted in July. Don't mean to get anyone down, I just thought people would want to know

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Just wanted to chime in with an update I got from admissions. A higher number than usual of accepties this year have indicated a "plan to enroll" to Minnesota. As a result, according to Diane, they expect the pace of waitlist movement to be low until July 1st (their commit to enroll deadline), when they anticipate a "bit of a small surge in acceptances." Hopefully this doesn't get me in trouble for being too negative, but it seems like they're not anticipating many acceptances going out in the next 6 weeks, and, even after, the language she used doesn't sound like we should be expecting a rush of a third of the class getting accepted in July. Don't mean to get anyone down, I just thought people would want to know
Darn that’s disappointing, but it is what it is. I guess it’s time to work on re-applying. Thanks for letting us WL peeps know!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I’m going on a vacation this Thursday and I desperately don’t want bad news when I’m meant to be destressing 😅

can I ask them not to contact me this weekend? Unless it’s good 😂

• Haha
Also Rejected, interview 2/16. I’m glad I didn’t get it on vacation, but I have two days to get myself together. Good luck everyone 🧡 Gonna go cry now

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
Also rejected, Interviewed 2/23, at least I can finally start the acceptance and grieving process

• Care
Also Rejected, interview 2/16. I’m glad I didn’t get it on vacation, but I have two days to get myself together. Good luck everyone 🧡 Gonna go cry now
I’ve been sitting in a puddle of tears for like an hour now 😂

• Care
I’m almost glad that they rejected me instead of putting me on the WL so I can start making plans for matriculating at another school without having this hanging over me :/

Does anyone remember what interview dates are left in February, prior to March 4th? I think it's the 25th and then March 4th, correct? Just trying to determine timing of when I'll hear back. I have to make a decision soon about my plan B option.

Does anyone remember what interview dates are left in February, prior to March 4th? I think it's the 25th and then March 4th, correct? Just trying to determine timing of when I'll hear back. I have to make a decision soon about my plan B option.
According to the list that NoEyeEyeGuy compiled, these were the dates:

2/25
2/26
2/27
2/29
3/2
3/4

(I cannot personally confirm these)

According to the list that NoEyeEyeGuy compiled, these were the dates:

2/25
2/26
2/27
2/29
3/2
3/4

(I cannot personally confirm these)
Ok thank you! I think the 27th is a Saturday and not sure about the 29th. Guess I'll know within the next 2-3 weeks based off this list and their bi-weekly update trend.

Ok thank you! I think the 27th is a Saturday and not sure about the 29th. Guess I'll know within the next 2-3 weeks based off this list and their bi-weekly update trend.
LOL 2/29 would be impossible since that doesn’t exist, I remember when that was initially reported in the thread. Seems reasonable that it would be 2/25, 2/26, 3/2, and 3/4 then

• Haha
LOL 2/29 would be impossible since that doesn’t exist, I remember when that was initially reported in the thread. Seems reasonable that it would be 2/25, 2/26, 3/2, and 3/4 then
I know right, I was like wait a minute, the 29th?🤣 At this point, I'm just relieved I'll have a response soon, good or bad.