2020-2021 NYU-Long Island

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know this is a reach and looking far ahead but can anybody speak on fellowships after this residency?

I.E. if I want to pursue a surgical fellowship in the future, will selecting this residency affect my chances at all (compared to a "traditional" school)?
I’m not sure. They haven’t had their first graduating class yet. But I think the purpose of the program is to motivate students to go into primary care

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why can't they just reject us poor souls LOL (still keeping hope for a miraculous A tho)

Members don't see this ad :)
did everyone who received update just sent their response in reply to the email? Did you get any confirmation?

for people who have gotten in off the waitlist is it just a call or do they email as well? and did your portal change?
Yes, can anyone speak to whether it is just a call or a call + email/portal update? Thanks!! :)

I'm on the waitlist for surgery. Why would anyone withdraw an acceptance from a free, great school?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm on the waitlist for surgery. Why would anyone withdraw an acceptance from a free, great school?
Assuming the fear of being locked into residency is a big deterent. Though you can change, it is not guaranteed people will take you considering you only did 3 years of school and most likely little to no research.

Assuming the fear of being locked into residency is a big deterent. Though you can change, it is not guaranteed people will take you considering you only did 3 years of school and most likely little to no research.
dont scare me like that man, cmon now

Haven’t heard anything yet unfortunately

Withdrew my acceptance for the peds track. Good luck to those still waiting! Movement will undoubtedly happen after the 30th as others are still deciding.

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
MS1 here. Just want to clear up some misinformation. There is a lot of room to do research in this school and get involved in programs under the NYU system. No student is "locked" into a residency as well. If you decide you want to do residency elsewhere, that is an open option to you as well.

Reactions: 1 users
MS1 here. Just want to clear up some misinformation. There is a lot of room to do research in this school and get involved in programs under the NYU system. No student is "locked" into a residency as well. If you decide you want to do residency elsewhere, that is an open option to you as well.
let’s say all of a sudden, i wanted to do dermatology or neurosurgery. how would that turn out?

Reactions: 1 users
So if we have yet to hear does that mean we still have a shot? Thats what it looks like bc it makes no sense to not just outright reject us by now lOL

let’s say all of a sudden, i wanted to do dermatology or neurosurgery. how would that turn out?
NYULISOM is extremely flexible, but the main focus of the program and the school is to train primary care physicians. If you change your mind after medical school, that's totally understandable and fine and the school will do all they can to help you secure a residency. But if you already are certain you want to be in a competitive specialty, be advised that it will be difficult in a condensed program.
That being said, you can take a year off for research, which is something medical students even in a traditional 4-year program do for competitive specialties

NYULISOM is extremely flexible, but the main focus of the program and the school is to train primary care physicians. If you change your mind after medical school, that's totally understandable and fine and the school will do all they can to help you secure a residency. But if you already are certain you want to be in a competitive specialty, be advised that it will be difficult in a condensed program.
That being said, you can take a year off for research, which is something medical students even in a traditional 4-year program do for competitive specialties
such a well put reply. thank you for the great response :).

Can someone please explain what a primary care surgeon is? I applied for the surgery specialty and don't understand how it fits into the primary care goal of the school.

Can someone please explain what a primary care surgeon is? I applied for the surgery specialty and don't understand how it fits into the primary care goal of the school.
they are also trying to fix the predicted physician shortage and these are one of the specialities that fewer people go into because of lesser pay but more arduous work-life balance.

Did you receive an additional email after the one asking you to confirm your waitlist interest?
Yeah essentially asking again if I wanted to stay on the waitlist. Did anyone else as well?

Has anyone else on the WL gotten no update emails asking about staying on the WL? My portal still says I've been WL but I've gotten none of the update emails asking about interest

In a similar vein, those of you who did or did not receive yesterday's email, had you previously clicked PTE to another school? Just curious if there was any correlation

Has anyone else on the WL gotten no update emails asking about staying on the WL? My portal still says I've been WL but I've gotten none of the update emails asking about interest

In a similar vein, those of you who did or did not receive yesterday's email, had you previously clicked PTE to another school? Just curious if there was any correlation
I PTEd and received the interest email before yesterday.

I received the first update mid-April but not the second one sent out earlier this week. I PTE’d at another school after the update was already sent out to some folks here.

Just withdrew my acceptance off the waitlist for IM, best of luck to anyone still waiting to hear!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Fingers crossed someone withdraws their OBGYN A! 🙃

• Care
So... Anyone brave enough to call the school and ask what’s up?

Any idea on whats goin with admissions? Do those who have not heard anything back still have a shot?

Was anyone else able to successfully withdraw from the waitlist? I emailed Admissions to withdraw but no one replied, and I just want to make sure they received my message...

Was anyone else able to successfully withdraw from the waitlist? I emailed Admissions to withdraw but no one replied, and I just want to make sure they received my message...
they replied to me like 30 seconds after I emailed them

Accepted off the waitlist today! Sent in a LOI about 2 weeks ago :)

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Accepted off the waitlist today! Sent in a LOI about 2 weeks ago :)
Congratulations! That’s great news. I’m on the surgery WL and really hoping to be pulled off. :)