2020-2021 Oakland (Beaumont)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone been 3rd tier waitlisted?
My email said the WL is the same until mid-April, and then there’ll be two tiers (first and second). We could be pulled at any time though until August, not necessarily until April.

Members don't see this ad.

WL this afternoon, interviewed 12/18. Not horrible news, but not great news either. We got this guys!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know when OUWB pulls people off the waitlist? If I go to MSUCOM, they start school in June so any later than that wouldn't benefit me.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when OUWB pulls people off the waitlist? If I go to MSUCOM, they start school in June so any later than that wouldn't benefit me.
On past threads I think it’s late April and May and then June and July as well

In my interview they said they pull people off all the time. They actually said they had already pulled some people from it already (this was 12/4). Past threads seem to indicate some WL movement in Jan-Mar, but it seems like the vast majority of movement happens from April until matriculation.

Anyone know how expensive the apartments are in Rochester Hills?

Check out last year's thread- they have the names of apartments where students typically live. They all seem standard for the midwest/suburbs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
II just now, complete beginning of October. LM 62, URM, CA applicant

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
II today. OOS. Complete very end of September.

• Love
II yesterday. OOS complete 9/21. Only dates available were March 4 and 12

• Love
How many spots were available on those 2 days?

If it said how many I did not notice, but I just logged back in to see if I could check but I cannot access the schedule anymore.

Here's some info copied from a PM I sent someone else:

I would suggest looking to move in around July/early August and start searching for a place by May. The most popular apartment complexes among students are (in no particular order) Boulevard apartments, Westbury apartments, River Oaks apartments, Five Points, and Wind Song apartments. There are many more complexes in the Oakland University area too but those have the most OUWB students.

If you are okay with driving a bit more (like 15 mins) you can find apartments for lower cost in Pontiac, which is a city down the road.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi! I have my interview on friday. Does anyone have advice or wanna share how their interview went?

Hi! I have my interview on friday. Does anyone have advice or wanna share how their interview went?
All I’m gonna is make sure you show them why you fit their mission

Does anyone know if they have strong opinions about letters of interest post-WL? I know they re-evaluate often, and I'm really into the school, so I don't know if I should go ahead and shoot my shot or wait until later in the cycle

:

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 21 users
People say “they feel a part of the community” here. But that’s a garbage line they feed you during orientation. They won’t tell you about all of the students who feel isolated and alone. THOSE students will tell you of the competitiveness, cliques, and general drama that seems to surround everything at OU. And this problem starts at the top with administration and continues all the way down the pecking order.

The diversity at this school is absolutely non-existent. If we took a class photo this year you would be able to see just how “diverse” we are. Of 125 students, I think there’s 5 combined latinx and AA? Couldn’t give you an exact number because no one interacts. And the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion panels? Good luck finding time for a session with the 12 lectures, 3 labs, and 3 longitudinal sessions you’ll have that week. Just last week there were 4 days with mandatory 8 AM sessions, and 12 hours worth of mandatory attendance.

As for accommodations? Sure they opened up cadaver lab for us and switched the format of our online labs, but they don’t let us review our tests, they promote time-wasting activities that don’t benefit us (TBL, Embark, PRISM is okay but why on earth is it the day after tests??), and have incredibly poorly structured lessons/tests. Even the MDs who show up to our TBLs can’t answer questions from students because of how low-yield our info is. We had a test with 10% of questions thrown out for being poorly written. But shoutout to the faculty members that actually know how to teach us.

You’re gonna spend hours focused on minute details with no real-world application because it’s what the professors deem important to them. And if you don’t memorize those details, you’re out of luck for honoring. Which 50% of the class does for each organ system. So if you’re not honoring, you’ll be in the last quartiles. And the number of students that honor is reported to residencies, so they’ll see exactly where you fall in the order.

There is no “walking the walk” here, or waiting for the next step to get better. Everyone says “it gets better” after the first semester but that’s because it’s supposed to become NBME style. But they have scrapped that so the stress continues in the form of poor testing and low-yield material. As in: a 30% curve because of student performance on faculty-written tests.

Goodness things need to improve. The burnout is insane and is only going to get worse once they’re fully entrenched in professor based exams and longitudinal courses that take away our only rest time. And, speaking of rests, you have no breaks in the semester. You get a half-day off after you take a mid-term or a-final and then it’s back to lectures like crazy. No weekends to destress (Monday tests) and no days off here. Until Winter break at least. Thanksgiving can “count” but you’ll be studying regardless.

People are collaborative because there’s truly no way to pass without working together. If you try flying solo you’re gonna have a hard time. Not to say that this is why it’s collaborative, but goodness it would be impossible without it. And there is ONE professor who says to “study for your patients” 😂 then another professor will teach you about a disease that affects like 2 dozen people in the world. Shoutout to the professor who says to “study for your patients” though. He cares.

All in all. Do your research if you have the choice.
Not what I wanted to hear 😣

Unless this school is your only MD offer, please reconsider going somewhere else. Oakland does a great job at keeping up a facade and it's truly not worth the bull****. Go to an P/F school if you can + NBME-only school. Your life will be so much easier. While the M1's currently have *some* NBME exams, this next year will be entirely professor-based. Are you ready to be a guinea pig for some absolutely obscure questions that you have to memorize to get a chance at *maybe* being in the top half of your class? Probably not.

• Sad
Reactions: 10 users
Anybody have something good to say about it - it was my top choice and my only in state MD so these comments aren’t helping lol but I appreciate the honesty

• Care
People say “they feel a part of the community” here. But that’s a garbage line they feed you during orientation. They won’t tell you about all of the students who feel isolated and alone. THOSE students will tell you of the competitiveness, cliques, and general drama that seems to surround everything at OU. And this problem starts at the top with administration and continues all the way down the pecking order.

The diversity at this school is absolutely non-existent. If we took a class photo this year you would be able to see just how “diverse” we are. Of 125 students, I think there’s 5 combined latinx and AA? Couldn’t give you an exact number because no one interacts. And the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion panels? Good luck finding time for a session with the 12 lectures, 3 labs, and 3 longitudinal sessions you’ll have that week. Just last week there were 4 days with mandatory 8 AM sessions, and 12 hours worth of mandatory attendance.

As for accommodations? Sure they opened up cadaver lab for us and switched the format of our online labs, but they don’t let us review our tests, they promote time-wasting activities that don’t benefit us (TBL, Embark, PRISM is okay but why on earth is it the day after tests??), and have incredibly poorly structured lessons/tests. Even the MDs who show up to our TBLs can’t answer questions from students because of how low-yield our info is. We had a test with 10% of questions thrown out for being poorly written. But shoutout to the faculty members that actually know how to teach us.

You’re gonna spend hours focused on minute details with no real-world application because it’s what the professors deem important to them. And if you don’t memorize those details, you’re out of luck for honoring. Which 50% of the class does for each organ system. So if you’re not honoring, you’ll be in the last quartiles. And the number of students that honor is reported to residencies, so they’ll see exactly where you fall in the order.

There is no “walking the walk” here, or waiting for the next step to get better. Everyone says “it gets better” after the first semester but that’s because it’s supposed to become NBME style. But they have scrapped that so the stress continues in the form of poor testing and low-yield material. As in: a 30% curve because of student performance on faculty-written tests.

Goodness things need to improve. The burnout is insane and is only going to get worse once they’re fully entrenched in professor based exams and longitudinal courses that take away our only rest time. And, speaking of rests, you have no breaks in the semester. You get a half-day off after you take a mid-term or a-final and then it’s back to lectures like crazy. No weekends to destress (Monday tests) and no days off here. Until Winter break at least. Thanksgiving can “count” but you’ll be studying regardless.

People are collaborative because there’s truly no way to pass without working together. If you try flying solo you’re gonna have a hard time. Not to say that this is why it’s collaborative, but goodness it would be impossible without it. And there is ONE professor who says to “study for your patients” 😂 then another professor will teach you about a disease that affects like 2 dozen people in the world. Shoutout to the professor who says to “study for your patients” though. He cares.

All in all. Do your research if you have the choice.
So I decided to check out the 2020 Residency Match that OUWB sent me, and I can only see 5 AA and not even 1 Latinx. You were right about the diversity being almost non-existent.

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Unless this school is your only MD offer, please reconsider going somewhere else. Oakland does a great job at keeping up a facade and it's truly not worth the bull****. Go to an P/F school if you can + NBME-only school. Your life will be so much easier. While the M1's currently have *some* NBME exams, this next year will be entirely professor-based. Are you ready to be a guinea pig for some absolutely obscure questions that you have to memorize to get a chance at *maybe* being in the top half of your class? Probably not.
But that free MacBook Pro tho...

• Haha
Do y’all think OUWB will match tuition rates and/or scholarships at other schools? So pricey here but I’d love to go

Lol I said this because I know some schools will match scholarships - though I don't think OUWB would
Cost of med school is entirely for gatekeeping purposes- another topic of its own. I hope they do match scholarships tho. It’s the least they can do

Which schools match scholarships? That would be awesome! :D
I’ve just read threads about people who have, if you’re already accepted at two places then it’s always worth asking through a professional email

Anybody have something good to say about it - it was my top choice and my only in state MD so these comments aren’t helping lol but I appreciate the honesty
M1 here with a much different perspective. I will second some of the comments made about minutia being tested first semester, but have never felt that it is overwhelmingly ridiculous like some other comments suggest. I also feel that the community here is incredible. I have never felt unwelcome to ask questions to professors or peers and our classmates seem beyond generous about sharing study material among each other. I can understand the community aspect being lessened this year (I would have liked to have met more people by now) but I think it’s important to remember it’s been a very unique year with the COVID pandemic going on. Our opportunities to interact and meet classmates have been much less frequent than previous classes.

The weeks can be long at times but usually because our schedules are pretty front-loaded. It does feel like your digging yourself out of a hole at some points but more often than not I find myself with way too much free time on my hands. This obviously will vary person to person, but once you figure out what works best for you the workload is very manageable in my opinion. No matter where you go for medical school you'll end up studying way more than you'd like, so that's not something I'd dwell on personally.

Longitudinal classes can be annoying at times, but they're as good/bad as you make them. I will agree that some of the sessions are poorly scheduled (before or after exams) but there's never been a session that was detrimental to my performance.

From my experience, professors and faculty have been very accommodating. The majority of complaints and issues we have brought to them are handled in an extremely efficient manner. I won't say that the students always get what the want, but the important thing to realize here is that there is never a solution that will please everybody. In order for some things to change we need the entire class to agree upon it, and unfortunately thats not always how life works.

In general, my experience at OUWB has been great so far. I've made incredible friends and am very satisfied with my decision to attend. The environment I experienced on interview day is exactly what I have witnessed so far. Do you have to study a lot? Yes. Is it always fun? No. Do I like EVERYTHING about the school? No. Is there a school in the nation that I would like EVERYTHING about? No, and it's completely unrealistic to think this would ever be the case.

My advice to all of you is to pick the school that feels right for YOU. I chose OUWB for my own personal reasons and couldn't be happier with the decision I made. If you make your decision based off the same principles you will also be happy with your choice. If you have any other questions or comments feel free to ask!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
:

Last edited by a moderator:
M1 here with a much different perspective. I will second some of the comments made about minutia being tested first semester, but have never felt that it is overwhelmingly ridiculous like some other comments suggest. I also feel that the community here is incredible. I have never felt unwelcome to ask questions to professors or peers and our classmates seem beyond generous about sharing study material among each other. I can understand the community aspect being lessened this year (I would have liked to have met more people by now) but I think it’s important to remember it’s been a very unique year with the COVID pandemic going on. Our opportunities to interact and meet classmates have been much less frequent than previous classes.

The weeks can be long at times but usually because our schedules are pretty front-loaded. It does feel like your digging yourself out of a hole at some points but more often than not I find myself with way too much free time on my hands. This obviously will vary person to person, but once you figure out what works best for you the workload is very manageable in my opinion. No matter where you go for medical school you'll end up studying way more than you'd like, so that's not something I'd dwell on personally.

Longitudinal classes can be annoying at times, but they're as good/bad as you make them. I will agree that some of the sessions are poorly scheduled (before or after exams) but there's never been a session that was detrimental to my performance.

From my experience, professors and faculty have been very accommodating. The majority of complaints and issues we have brought to them are handled in an extremely efficient manner. I won't say that the students always get what the want, but the important thing to realize here is that there is never a solution that will please everybody. In order for some things to change we need the entire class to agree upon it, and unfortunately thats not always how life works.

In general, my experience at OUWB has been great so far. I've made incredible friends and am very satisfied with my decision to attend. The environment I experienced on interview day is exactly what I have witnessed so far. Do you have to study a lot? Yes. Is it always fun? No. Do I like EVERYTHING about the school? No. Is there a school in the nation that I would like EVERYTHING about? No, and it's completely unrealistic to think this would ever be the case.

My advice to all of you is to pick the school that feels right for YOU. I chose OUWB for my own personal reasons and couldn't be happier with the decision I made. If you make your decision based off the same principles you will also be happy with your choice. If you have any other questions or comments feel free to ask!

I’ve never felt “uncomfortable” to ask a question, which seems like the bare minimum professors can do.

And yes I mentioned that people are quick to share resources.

I’m very surprised to see that someone at OU finds themself with way too much free time. I’ve never heard anyone say that (solely the opposite in fact). We have a half day off after most tests and then get right into the next unit, and tests are usually Mondays so weekends tend to be off limits. I’d like to learn how someone can manage to find that much free time.

Also I’m unsure as to how a majority of complaints have been efficiently handled, because this message seems surface value. We’ve had some issues fixed, but again, that’s the bare minimum that could be done. Like “getting” to actually use our Anatomy lab and moving 8 AM tests so Californians don’t have to take it at 5 AM.

I’m not shaming people into not attending. I just want them to know that medical school is a very real thing and what occurs in school will have implications in their professional life, so they should see all facets of what a school is offering. PRISM is a 3 hour mandatory session where you watch lectures/discuss feelings (and have written reflection on your feelings), EMBARK is a glorified survey for most people that they call “structured research time,” and TBLs are a 2-hour mess that involves extra time to prepare material that is nowhere near test material.

Again, if this is your only acceptance then don’t fret. The mantra is still “if you want to be here, you’ll make it through.” And that’s true. Everyone who wants to be here still is. But know all the information if you’re making a decision.

Thank you both for sharing your perspectives. I highly apperciate the honesty and candidness.

Thank you both for sharing your perspectives. I highly apperciate the honesty and candidness.

I also want to emphasize that while both perspectives are reasonably true, I lean more on seeing the positive sides of OUWB. I am lucky to have met amazing friends, and it has made picking OUWB very worth it in my opinion.

Lectures are again, a personal preference. There are some professors who are amazing and those that makes me want to just entirely skip. But medical school is a lot anyway, so like the other poster, if you just accept this and learn, you’ll make it through. I will emphasize that you will never know 100% of the material and I’ve learned to accept that fact. I’ve been strategic with how I’ve studied by even deciding to not learn a particular lecture because it wasn’t worth sitting through hours learning it just for 2 questions. Even by doing this, you can still Honors. And if you study efficiently, I can see how you have free time. It’s not impossible. I’ve scheduled zoom calls with friends all the time, and I still have time to watch movies.

And yes, longitudinal courses can be annoying and I wish they were better at scheduling some of them. But I also don’t think it’s been detrimental to my learning.

Again, pick based on your gut. Nothing is worse than picking a school you already dislike because every little thing that sets you back will just give you an even more negative perception. And if you go a couple of pages back, there are more posters who have posted their positive experiences!