2020-2021 Ohio State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else have their decision day tomorrow? Also, do people know what time they usually release decisions?
i have my decision date tomorrow, my understanding is that the portal gets updated very early in the morning

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
have the interview in a few days, any more last minute tips/general impressions from anyone? I'm so excited!
Both my student and faculty interviews were very low key and it felt like they just wanted to get to know me to see if I would be a good fit. Maybe have a few questions prepared for the faculty and student Q&As. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Samesies. I'm not sure what that means for this school.
+2 Yeah, I've been trying to find more info about what exactly deferred means and how many people go from deferred to accepted. Haven't been able to find much.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
+2 Yeah, I've been trying to find more info about what exactly deferred means and how many people go from deferred to accepted. Haven't been able to find much.
+3 deferred, the only thing I have been able to find is that they accept a ton of people off the waitlist (I know this is not a waitlist) so I am taking that to mean that there are opportunities for movement

• Care
Samesies. I'm not sure what that means for this school.
This is from their website " Applicants who are "deferred" remain in consideration for all subsequent Admissions Committee meetings until April. The deferred list becomes a wait list after April 30. All deferred candidates remain active until orientation. Deferred applications are reviewed every two weeks during the decision-making process and a number of deferred applicants are admitted during the process. "

I guess we are in limbo till then

Members don't see this ad :)
+3 deferred, the only thing I have been able to find is that they accept a ton of people off the waitlist (I know this is not a waitlist) so I am taking that to mean that there are opportunities for movement
+4 :/

• Care
Can we hit 10 deferrals? 15?

Maybe the admissions committee went on a med spa retreat, forgot about the committee meeting, then remembered and was like "oh no. we were supposed to make decisions for tomorrow what do we do?? wait let's just defer everyone!"

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I got accepted today! Sorry to hear about the deferrals, I have heard there's a lot of movement

Reactions: 8 users
Also got deferred.... my twin brother got accepted 2 weeks ago so that sucks!

For all of you who are deferred, I'm sorry to hear that and I know it isn't the news you were hoping for. However, I can hopefully clear up some confusion about what being deferred means. Being deferred means you are still considered when the adcom meets every two weeks, and theoretically you could be accepted next time they meet. I know of a few people who were only deferred two weeks, but I don't think that is super common. If you remain on the deferred list until after the interviews are done it becomes a waitlist. Ultimately, 90/207 kids in my class (two cycles ago) were deferred/waitlisted at some point in the cycle before being admitted, so don't lose hope!

You may be waiting a while for a decision, however. I interviewed in February and got my initial decision early March, but wasn't accepted until the end of June. Most of the waitlist movement occurs in early May. I know the waiting game is not easy, and it's very unfortunate that this is how the cycle works. If anyone who is deferred has any more questions about what the rest of the cycle looks like or anything about the deferral process, feel free to DM me!

Reactions: 7 users
Where do you see the decision date? I just interviewed today and am wondering what day decisions come out

Hey I'm probably really late to this, but does an Ohio State Username Activation Email mean anything significant or is it just a general email they send acknowledging your application?

Does Ohio State update the status of your secondary portal at all throughout the application season? Mine just has stayed at "Application with OSUM is complete" for awhile.

• Hmm
Interviewed here in 18-19 cycle. Anyone know if OSU tends to interview those who they previously interviewed? Complete mid July. I’m kinda emo about it tbh lol

Interviewed here in 18-19 cycle. Anyone know if OSU tends to interviews those who they previously interviewed? Complete mid July. I’m kinda emo about it tbh lol
Anecdotal, but I have a friend who re-interviewed here as a reapplicant and got in. Not sure how common that is but I'm sure it does happen. :)

Has anyone gotten their email links for their 1 on 1’s?
Edit: jk spoke too soon

Last edited:
Interviewing tomorrow and I haven't gotten an email with zoom links yet. Does the email go out the morning of?

Woke up to that A on the vitals portal.

Reactions: 6 users
Deferred after 11/16 interview. OOS, ORM, LM 80. Congrats to all who got accepted! :D

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Choo choo, we hoppin' on that A train :cool:

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Interviewing here next week, I was wondering if anyone who has interviewed already has any tips?

Hi everyone! Just to confirm for those who got accepted today, there's nothing we're supposed to do to "accept" the acceptance on the portal right?

Interviewing here next week, I was wondering if anyone who has interviewed already has any tips?
I'm a current second year so I didn't go through the zoom interview, but for the interview in general it is super laid back and relaxed, so just be yourself. They genuinely want to get to know you as an applicant and are not trying to trick or intimidate you. All of the questions are super straight forward and conversational. Someone who interviewed this cycle on zoom may be able to contribute more, but that is the advice that I give everyone who asks me before their interview. Hope this helps!

• Love
I'm a current second year so I didn't go through the zoom interview, but for the interview in general it is super laid back and relaxed, so just be yourself. They genuinely want to get to know you as an applicant and are not trying to trick or intimidate you. All of the questions are super straight forward and conversational. Someone who interviewed this cycle on zoom may be able to contribute more, but that is the advice that I give everyone who asks me before their interview. Hope this helps!
Thank you!!

Anyone who emailed an update, did you get a response? I sent one in a couple days ago and haven’t heard anything so just making sure this is normal or seeing if I should follow up to make sure they received it.