2020-2021 Ohio State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when the next decision day is?
they release decisions every two weeks on a Thursday,
"After October 29, decisions by the Admissions Committee are released every two weeks until the end of the application cycle."

Reactions: 1 user
I had my virtual talk with a student today, and if anyone is on the fence about contacting a student from that spreadsheet they link in their interview invite, do it. The student I spoke with was very informative and friendly, and didn't sugarcoat the pros (and cons!) of the curriculum requirements, research and mentorship opportunities, inclusion, etc. I was really pleased with how forthcoming the conversation was!

Reactions: 4 users
Made an offering to the Tom W. Davis clock tower this morning.

ORM, in state. Still no II.

I'm freaking out guys

Reactions: 1 users
I had my virtual talk with a student today, and if anyone is on the fence about contacting a student from that spreadsheet they link in their interview invite, do it. The student I spoke with was very informative and friendly, and didn't sugarcoat the pros (and cons!) of the curriculum requirements, research and mentorship opportunities, inclusion, etc. I was really pleased with how forthcoming the conversation was!

What pros/cons did they mention? I was accepted a couple weeks back and am currently on the fence between OSU and another school.

• Care
Who else got the cute Christmas card they sent in the mail? Very nice of them!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
What pros/cons did they mention? I was accepted a couple weeks back and am currently on the fence between OSU and another school.
I wanna +1 the spreadsheet. I reached out to current students who went to my undergrad and shared my interests, so our convo and pros/cons mentioned were tailored specifically to my interests and background. I'm on the fence too, and honestly the biggest two pros of OSU to me are Columbus (young, diverse city with a lot of culture, esp for the midwest), many people match back to my home state, personalizable curriculum, and COST. Cons are that it's less personalized that my other school, in state tuition is annoying to get, communication about COVID hasn't been great

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone recommend reaching out to them to find out if they’d be willing to match a scholarship? Any recommendations about how to go about this?

I wanna +1 the spreadsheet. I reached out to current students who went to my undergrad and shared my interests, so our convo and pros/cons mentioned were tailored specifically to my interests and background. I'm on the fence too, and honestly the biggest two pros of OSU to me are Columbus (young, diverse city with a lot of culture, esp for the midwest), many people match back to my home state, personalizable curriculum, and COST. Cons are that it's less personalized that my other school, in state tuition is annoying to get, communication about COVID hasn't been great

Thanks for the insight! Would it be possible for you to DM/post the spreadsheet?

Also, I was under the impression that getting in state tuition after the first year was pretty straightforward. I can’t remember where I saw the exact figure, but I thought it was something like 90% of OOS got IS tuition.

Thanks for the insight! Would it be possible for you to DM/post the spreadsheet?

Also, I was under the impression that getting in state tuition after the first year was pretty straightforward. I can’t remember where I saw the exact figure, but I thought it was something like 90% of OOS got IS tuition.
I think a previous poster said that it wasn't as easy as it was made out to be. I can't figure out how to multiquote lol but it's on page 9 of this forum. The spreadsheet is on your VITALS portal post II!

Members don't see this ad :)

The requirements to get Ohio residency are online. From what I’ve gathered you have to prove that you are 100% financially independent, live there for 12 months, you can’t leave the state for more than 30 days and you can’t be gone for more than 2 weeks at a time. You have to register to vote, get a license and register your car.

In order to show proof of this you have to submit documents like bank statements, proof residence, vehicle registration, etc. Your family isn’t allowed to help you with living expenses or tuition or financial gifts like a plane ticket. And you can’t live off of savings unless the money has been in your account for like 2 years.

I’m not sure how strict they are with everything though. It seems really tedious, but worth it if you get approved.

Just want to post on here again since I think my last post is now a few pages back. I am a current M2 at OSU and I am happy to answer any questions about the interview process, deferral, or questions about the school if you are on the fence! I believe my name is also on the spreadsheet that has been mentioned above, so if you would like to talk to me you can DM me and we can set up a time, or I can point you in the directions of other students I know will be helpful.

As far as in state tuition goes, it is a bit of pain to get but the percentage that ultimately get it is definitely over 95%. TOTALLY worth it. I took out 1/2 as much in loans year two as I did in year one. Also, the criteria that Vitafusion mentioned a few comments above are accurate and they are pretty strict about this (the only exceptions were COVID related). I really have enjoyed my time at OSU and if I could go back I wouldn't want to end up anywhere else!

For those who are deferred, I was as well and I know the feeling. Keep your heads up! There are still a lot of A's to come off of that list between now and June. As I've said previously, most of the movement occurs in May but there is movement before and after that as well! A letter of intent can definitely help your chances as well, so if you are sold on OSU, I would recommend writing one.

Best of luck to everyone with the rest of this cycle, and to those who have been accepted, I hope to see you at OSUCOM next fall!

Reactions: 8 users
Does anyone recommend reaching out to them to find out if they’d be willing to match a scholarship? Any recommendations about how to go about this?
I'm wondering the same thing. Still on the waitlist here but it would be nice to know if they match.

Hi everyone. I will be applying in summer of 2021. OSU is my goal school. However, I was unsure of my stats and did not know whether its worth applying. My cGPA is 3.76. My sgpa is around a 3.58. My mcat is a 520 though. I did really poorly in one of my science classes. I will be retaking next fall. I wanted to do it before my application, but I just don't have the funds right now. I do have some good extracurriculars. Is it worth applying to OSU because I know they are really competitive. Also, I am a ORM born and raised in ohio.

Hi everyone. I will be applying in summer of 2021. OSU is my goal school. However, I was unsure of my stats and did not know whether its worth applying. My cGPA is 3.76. My sgpa is around a 3.58. My mcat is a 520 though. I did really poorly in one of my science classes. I will be retaking next fall. I wanted to do it before my application, but I just don't have the funds right now. I do have some good extracurriculars. Is it worth applying to OSU because I know they are really competitive. Also, I am a ORM born and raised in ohio.
100% apply since it's your in-state school (I'm assuming). Your stats are definitely good enough to apply!

Reactions: 3 users
Def do it! your MCAT is wild! it makes up for the lower sGPA

Reactions: 3 users
Just to piggy back off of what everyone else has said stats aren't everything either. Your stats are more than good enough to get in but having scores under the 50th or even 10th percentile doesn't mean it's not worth applying because schools what well-rounded applicants. I'd definitely apply if I were you.

I second jwar's message above mine. My MCAT was <10th percentile here and I was in the first 1-2 groups of interviews and in the first group of acceptances.

With a LM 52, ORM, the only reason I'm applying is that I have (somewhat) compelling life experiences and I'm in-state. A few years back, I met with one of the deans since I was quite discouraged with my lower stats. Not sure why but the dean/director (?) pushed me to apply anyways. I dunno, I gave it a shot. I don't think they need my $80.:shrug:

Thank you for everyone's advice. I think I just get worried really easily. Even though I did well on my MCAT, it was only because it was my 2nd attempt. The first time I took it, I got below a 500 and honestly, it was because my nerves really got to me. Even though I did well on my retake, my advisor told me it would be difficult to seek admission because retakes are frowned upon. So, I was just confused and worried.

Thank you for everyone's advice. I think I just get worried really easily. Even though I did well on my MCAT, it was only because it was my 2nd attempt. The first time I took it, I got below a 500 and honestly, it was because my nerves really got to me. Even though I did well on my retake, my advisor told me it would be difficult to seek admission because retakes are frowned upon. So, I was just confused and worried.
I'm not an adcom, but from what I've heard talking to admissions/advisors is that retakes are only frowned upon if you don't improve significantly (E.g. go from a 500 to a 503 or something) A rule of thumb one adcom told me this past spring was if you aren't confident you'll be 6+ points higher, don't retake cause I debated retaking a mid/high 5teen trying to get a 520+ after I dropped a couple on test day. However, some schools may care about it differently, but I'd say general rule of thumb is if you improved (which you damn sure did), then it doesn't matter (also keep in mind it takes an entire application, not just the MCAT, but a great MCAT does open a ton of doors/get you attention). Best of luck to you!

I have been deferred since October 29th and just got accepted this morning! One of my top choices because of the chance to gain in-state tuition! Woohoo! :1geek:

For those that are deferred don't lose hope! I was pretty down on myself when it happened to me but people on this thread were super supportive and reassuring. Lean on others for support because there aren't many people that truly understand what you're going through right now. It will turn out eventually!
I am so happy for UUUU

II just now! Complete mid-July I think? (almost as soon as I got my secondary). This was my alma mater so I'm excited about this lol

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Also got an interview this morning and didn't see it until now! Complete in July, instate, interview pre-scheduled to early February.

Reactions: 4 users
II just now!! Super stoked, this is my first II of the cycle!!! 515/3.5, complete early September

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 13 users
Thank you! Technically out of state (left after high school)
"Forever Buckeyes, a provision included in the FY 12‐13 budget bill, extends the in‐state resident tuition rate to any public or private Ohio high school graduate* who leaves the state but returns to enroll in an undergraduate or graduate program at an Ohio college and also establishes residency in Ohio."

I know they extend the tuition rate if you leave, I wonder if it plays any part into their admission policies...

"Forever Buckeyes, a provision included in the FY 12‐13 budget bill, extends the in‐state resident tuition rate to any public or private Ohio high school graduate* who leaves the state but returns to enroll in an undergraduate or graduate program at an Ohio college and also establishes residency in Ohio."

I know they extend the tuition rate if you leave, I wonder if it plays any part into their admission policies...
For what it's worth, I received an email from them a while back that read as follows:

"Your application has been evaluated with respect to the Ohio Department of Higher Education's policies governing resident and nonresident student status for fee assessment purposes. Based on the information contained in your application, we have initially classified you as a non-Ohio resident because you listed on your application for either yourself, or your parent, spouse, or legal guardian, dates lived in Ohio that will be less than 12 months prior to the date of enrollment."

So I don't believe the Forever Buckeyes extends to in-state vs out-of-state qualifications, but I'm not entirely sure!

For what it's worth, I received an email from them a while back that read as follows:

"Your application has been evaluated with respect to the Ohio Department of Higher Education's policies governing resident and nonresident student status for fee assessment purposes. Based on the information contained in your application, we have initially classified you as a non-Ohio resident because you listed on your application for either yourself, or your parent, spouse, or legal guardian, dates lived in Ohio that will be less than 12 months prior to the date of enrollment."

So I don't believe the Forever Buckeyes extends to in-state vs out-of-state qualifications, but I'm not entirely sure!
Ahh...interesting. I guess then it's just the financial incentive to pull our Buckeyes out of the sunny UCalifornia undergrads :D

• Haha
Does anyone know if decision releases are going to start again next Thursday on the every 2-week decisions release schedule?

Does anyone know if decision releases are going to start again next Thursday on the every 2-week decisions release schedule?
I’ve been looking at the previous years threads and all of them start back up on Jan 26-29. I’m assuming they’ll continue with this schedule

Complete 10/4 no word yet. I sent an update/letter of intent yesterday. OOS but HS and undergrad in Ohio. Moved to WA ten years ago and got my MSW then BSN. 10 years in healthcare. Currently have 1 DO acceptance but I really want to come back to Ohio. Should I give up hope?

Complete 10/4 no word yet. I sent an update/letter of intent yesterday. OOS but HS and undergrad in Ohio. Moved to WA ten years ago and got my MSW then BSN. 10 years in healthcare. Currently have 1 DO acceptance but I really want to come back to Ohio. Should I give up hope?
No

Sorry if this has been asked before -- is there an accepted students GroupMe/ Facebook?

This national OSU beat down is reparations for not offering me an interview.

• Haha
Reactions: 20 users
Thoughts on pre-II letter of interest or update? My only real update since my primary AMCAS is a job promotion and my JAMA paper listed as in-press/pending acceptance was finally published.

Signed,

A increasingly desperate IS, OSU grad

When we are accepted, all we have to do is confirm acceptance and then submit the technical standards worksheet right? there are no fees to pay up front?