2020-2021 Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (RowanSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Secondary prompt:
(1000 Words each)
1. How did you learn about osteopathic medicine and why is it a good fit for you?
2. Explain why you are interested in attending Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine:
3. Please describe any significant barriers or challenges you may have overcome in the pursuit of your personal/professional goals.(optional)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Im currently on the regular waitlist for last cycle! Perparing for the worst and hoping for the best! I am in state but I know some OOS that got accepted. Good luck!

Im currently on the regular waitlist for last cycle! Perparing for the worst and hoping for the best! I am in state but I know some OOS that got accepted. Good luck!
I just submitted my application for 2021 cycle :) wish you the best

Reactions: 1 user
Hey friends! I'm OOS, considering adding Rowan to my DO list for this cycle...how OOS-friendly are they? Would I need strong NJ ties to be considered?

Hey friends! I'm OOS, considering adding Rowan to my DO list for this cycle...how OOS-friendly are they? Would I need strong NJ ties to be considered?
On their website they state they have NJ preference. But I know OOS people accepted. On their secondary they ask you to list jobs you had in NJ. So that is a red flag that they do what to see a tie or something. But there is no essay asking for ties.

Hi guys, I'm an incoming MS1 here, if you have any questions feel free to ask me. Rowan SOM is a great DO school with its own hospital & research opportunities. Also here is their match list for last year: https://som.rowan.edu/documents/match.pdf. They had matches at Mayo clinic, NYP Columbia & Cornel, NYU, Cleveland clinic, Yale, and more! Best of luck! Apply early makes a huge difference!
Thanks for offering to do this! I'm curious about student wellness -- is it built into the curriculum (some programs do this, some don't), what's the student support like? I know you haven't started yet so may be difficult to judge but it's of high importance to me and can be hard to ascertain from school websites. Also, are there clubs/groups for LGBTQ students?

Hi guys, I'm an incoming MS1 here, if you have any questions feel free to ask me. Rowan SOM is a great DO school with its own hospital & research opportunities. Also here is their match list for last year: https://som.rowan.edu/documents/match.pdf. They had matches at Mayo clinic, NYP Columbia & Cornel, NYU, Cleveland clinic, Yale, and more! Best of luck! Apply early makes a huge difference!
Do you rent a place near the campus? How's the housing nearby? expensive?

Thanks for offering to do this! I'm curious about student wellness -- is it built into the curriculum (some programs do this, some don't), what's the student support like? I know you haven't started yet so may be difficult to judge but it's of high importance to me and can be hard to ascertain from school websites. Also, are there clubs/groups for LGBTQ students?

Hm not very knowledgeable about this one. I'm not sure if it's built into the curriculum but it might be. It's a progressive school and they have "bridge weeks" that delve into social issues that surround being a medical provider. There is a a LGBTQ club, yes. "LASOH." Student Organizations | School of Osteopathic Medicine | Rowan University.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you rent a place near the campus? How's the housing nearby? expensive?

Depends! I'm renting a place near campus, an apartment with a roommate(s). I suggest doing so as it can bring the cost down significantly. The prices range depending on if you want a nice apartment or if you want to live alone. With a roommate in a decent apartment, you're looking at $700 per rent. Some even go as low as 500-600. Nicer ones go up to a $1000 and if you want to live alone around $1200 for a studio

Hi guys!
I am planning to apply to this school but don’t have the stats! Still will take my chances and leave it to God! Good luck to everyone !

Reactions: 3 users
Hi guys!
I am planning to apply to this school but don’t have the stats! Still will take my chances and leave it to God! Good luck to everyone !
I'm a reapplicant Lmk if you have any questions!

Members don't see this ad :)
AACOMAS is sending out our apps today. Secondaries should be coming soon!

Do we know when Secondaries come in? I thought they come yesterday.

Do we know when Secondaries come in? I thought they come yesterday.
Depends on the school. AACOMS releases just released it. From last year's therad, it was released on a Friday and they started getting them on a Wendsday. So I'm thinking we will get it by Friday.

Thanks for the info, that stings a little tho. My fiance is from jersy and we are moving there soon but I'm a new york, resident hopefully they take that into account

Thanks for the info, that stings a little tho. My fiance is from jersy and we are moving there soon but I'm a new york, resident hopefully they take that into account

There's still a decent portion of OOS though, so don't be discouraged. If you have good stats and you apply early, you should be fine

There's still a decent portion of OOS though, so don't be discouraged. If you have good stats and you apply early, you should be fine
Yeah my app is in and verified already so thats good. GPA is below avg 3.34 overall but i did a 50 credit post-bac with a 3.8, 511 MCAT so knock on wood lol

Quick question: do we need to re-send our LOR in the link? I have already sent the LORs in ACCOM primary

Hello guys! Does anyone know if the school screens? Or do they send secondaries to everyone. Thank you!!

I haven't gotten a secondary from here yet, and it's my top choice -should I be worried? I'm OOS and MCAT-less so IDK if that's why?

I haven't gotten a secondary from here yet, and it's my top choice -should I be worried? I'm OOS and MCAT-less so IDK if that's why?
They do not screen so there is no need to worry. Plus they literally just sent the first round today! I think most people didnt get seconadrys for anywhere yet lol

They do not screen so there is no need to worry. Plus they literally just sent the first round today! I think most people didnt get seconadrys for anywhere yet lol

True... I tend to panic haha. Like I'm irrationally worried that some of my primaries won't actually get sent to schools.

Just got my secondary! OOS and have not taken my MCATs yet. (sGPA: 3.31, overall GPA: 3.37)

Hello everyone, for the third 'optional essay' do you think this is designed for any challenges such as COVID, or is it designed to capture things more like the disadvantaged essay for AMCAS?

For reference @PapaGuava
(1000 Words each)
1. How did you learn about osteopathic medicine and why is it a good fit for you?
2. Explain why you are interested in attending Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine:
3. Please describe any significant barriers or challenges you may have overcome in the pursuit of your personal/professional goals.(optional)

Just got my secondary. asks you to explain why you like PBL if you do, and then a few benign questions

Just got my secondary! Submitted my app on Monday, got verified on Wednesday and received secondary today.

How are you guys answering the question in the additional information section, "Please identify your area of professional interest below (i.e. Family Medicine, Surgery, Pediatrics, etc.)?" Are you just listing specialties or writing an essay with the 500 word count limit?

How are you guys answering the question in the additional information section, "Please identify your area of professional interest below (i.e. Family Medicine, Surgery, Pediatrics, etc.)?" Are you just listing specialties or writing an essay with the 500 word count limit?

I just listed the top three specialities I'm into as well as locations (mostly Rural)

I chose the one I am MOST interested (pediatrics) and wrote a brief 200 word essay on it. My logic was, if they are giving us 500 words....I might as well use some of it instead of just listing "Pediatrics" and moving on.

Reactions: 1 users
I chose the one I am MOST interested (pediatrics) and wrote a brief 200 word essay on it. My logic was, if they are giving us 500 words....I might as well use some of it instead of just listing "Pediatrics" and moving on.
You know that’s a great idea. I might do that.

Has anyone submitted their secondary, but not received a confirmation email?