2020-2021 Rutgers (Robert Wood Johnson)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
do we think there's still hope for an II for people complete in mid august??

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Nice New Years present. May I ask what the available interview dates look like at this point? Thx!
Yeah, np. They had one date available in late Feb, like two in March, and one beginning of April.

got the II today!! but no email about scheduling the MMI.... any idea how long after the first II email it takes to get the scheduling email??

happy new years!! :)

Reactions: 1 users
btw jan was completely booked out and there was only one date and time available in feb lmao

hopefully more slots open up

got the II today!! but no email about scheduling the MMI.... any idea how long after the first II email it takes to get the scheduling email??

happy new years!! :)
I completed VITA the Friday after my II email, and didn’t hear anything regarding scheduling the MMI for a couple days so I reached out to admin. They said that VITA registers your online interview on Thursdays, which is when they (RWJ) would receive the information and send you an email to pick a date for your MMI. Once I sent them that email though, they just checked VITA and sent me the link anyways.
Long story short, if you complete your VITA before this Thursday, you’ll get the link to sign up for MMI Thursday/Friday.

Any hope for IS complete end of July? I got an invite for NJMS two weeks ago but haven’t heard anything from RWJMS even though I have ties to the med school

dumb question but can we remove an old update letter we've posted? or like overwrite it or something?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any other OOS applicants still waiting?

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know if they do pre-II rejections or if it’s just a silent rejection? Thanks

can anyone tell how their experience was with the MMI/interview? was it stressful/relaxed, and how was the faculty?

can anyone tell how their experience was with the MMI/interview? was it stressful/relaxed, and how was the faculty?
mine was pretty relaxed for an MMI (I had only had one other MMI when I did this one) and the interviewers were super nice!

Hi y’all! Do we know how much motion is there usually on the priority wait list? I got placed there a couple of weeks ago and this is one of my top choices.

Any recent interviews given out recently? I've been complete since July and haven't heard anything

Reactions: 4 users
Hi y’all! Do we know how much motion is there usually on the priority wait list? I got placed there a couple of weeks ago and this is one of my top choices.
Hi do you mean the “competitive hold”? I thought they didn’t do a priority wait list this year. Last year there was hardly any movement in the priority waitlist, however in previous years there was good movement.

Hi do you mean the “competitive hold”? I thought they didn’t do a priority wait list this year. Last year there was hardly any movement in the priority waitlist, however in previous years there was good movement.
The email was quite confusing, but when I went online and checked it said “high priority alternate list.” I’m just a little confused because if there is indeed movement isn’t may (from what I read just now) a little too late for scholarships and such. I apologize if it’s been answered before. I’m new to al of this and I don’t have friends who are going through the same thing

The email was quite confusing, but when I went online and checked it said “high priority alternate list.” I’m just a little confused because if there is indeed movement isn’t may (from what I read just now) a little too late for scholarships and such. I apologize if it’s been answered before. I’m new to al of this and I don’t have friends who are going through the same thing
I think you might be right. If they don’t notify until May, that would be too late.

Does anyone even know how many are put in the HPAL? On a previous thread, they said 20 but that sounds too low. I feel like it would be more.

Hi, this was likely answered or discussed, but when do decisions about the winter/spring interviewees go out?

Hi, this was likely answered or discussed, but when do decisions about the winter/spring interviewees go out?
Decisions for winter interviewees already went out. I believe they have another round of decisions in Feb and March.

Last edited:
I think you might be right. If they don’t notify until May, that would be too late.

Does anyone even know how many are put in the HPAL? On a previous thread, they said 20 but that sounds too low. I feel like it would be more.
so I called Dr. Copeland and she said that they don't really offer scholarships for first years, but second year and on they offer merit based scholarships so if you get accepted in may you will be able to work out loans for first year.

Decisions for winter interviewees already went out. I believe they have another round of decisions in Feb and April.
Technically, we are still in winter, so you didn't really quite answer my question if we recently interviewed...

Does anyone know where I can send an update/letter of interest? Is it just through the portal?

Technically, we are still in winter, so you didn't really quite answer my question if we recently interviewed...
Yes but the response is still the same- the next decisions are released in Feb and April if you interviewed after December. EDIT: I meant Feb and March** this info is on the portal

Last edited:
did someone hear feb decisions from admissions? during my interview day they said last week of march for the 2nd round of decisions (spring)

what do you guys think about sending new LOR's from current things we are doing in our gap year? this is pre-II

So I am an alum and wanted to share that I did not have the best experience here and may have considered going elsewhere due to lack of research opportunities, unsupportive administration, very hit or miss clinical rotations, no true pass fail ( get quartile rank in MSPE-top 25, second, third, bottom). Unclear how that was determined, third year honors mainly (have to honor both clinical grade and shelf to get honors, very resident grading dependent). Saint peters, Monmouth very IMG heavy residents. Lots of driving for offsides when I was a student. Supposedly cutting curriculum to 1.5 due to step 1 pass/fail and new end all be all step 2 (residency programs filter you out completely based on score as they receive 600-800 applications esp for competitive specialties). Overall may have considered a school with more home residencies and more academic department for research. Honestly no schools all research weak, Njms likely better but people are just so mean there. At Rwjuh very little clinical autonomy (basically a glorified secretary running menial errands and shadowing).

So I am an alum and wanted to share that I did not have the best experience here and may have considered going elsewhere due to lack of research opportunities, unsupportive administration, very hit or miss clinical rotations, no true pass fail ( get quartile rank in MSPE-top 25, second, third, bottom). Unclear how that was determined, third year honors mainly (have to honor both clinical grade and shelf to get honors, very resident grading dependent). Saint peters, Monmouth very IMG heavy residents. Lots of driving for offsides when I was a student. Supposedly cutting curriculum to 1.5 due to step 1 pass/fail and new end all be all step 2 (residency programs filter you out completely based on score as they receive 600-800 applications esp for competitive specialties). Overall may have considered a school with more home residencies and more academic department for research. Honestly no schools all research weak, Njms likely better but people are just so mean there. At Rwjuh very little clinical autonomy (basically a glorified secretary running menial errands and shadowing).

Means NJ schools have weaker research compared to UVA, U Michigan, Penn state,etc comparable state schools.

Our match lists were great because the students came in great but for competitive specialties most did 1-2+ research years at outside institutions (Harvard, NYU,etc) and found own funding and moved back and forth. Routinely 5 or so did not match urology, plastics, neurosurgery, ortho,derm and general surgery mainly.

When you say that the people at NJMS are mean, are you referring to admin, faculty, students, or some combination? And in your next post, when you mention that many RWJMS folks did research at NYU and other schools, are you saying that to match into a competitive specialty at RWJMS it is necessary/strongly advised to spend an additional 1-2 years doing research?

Means NJ schools have weaker research compared to UVA, U Michigan, Penn state,etc comparable state schools.

Our match lists were great because the students came in great but for competitive specialties most did 1-2+ research years at outside institutions (Harvard, NYU,etc) and found own funding and moved back and forth. Routinely 5 or so did not match urology, plastics, neurosurgery, ortho,derm and general surgery mainly.

Most recently heard Cooper was better at advocating for their students to match. Honestly if I had Mount Sinai, NYU, Albert Einstein acceptances even if more expensive may have considered more heavily. Also heard places like Jefferson have really cool class since most people are not in state and they had more class unity. RWJ very clique heavy, lacks true diversity (Hispanic, African American) students and faculty, and akin to high school. If choosing from state schools, I recommend NJMS for residencies (plastic, derm, ortho, optho, ENT). If have other choices (UVA), Einstein, etc May recommend. I chose based on lowest cost but affected in end anyway. Also going to a school in a certain region helps get residency interviews in that region (so if NJ and want to do residency in Florida, UMiami,etc or want to go to Chicago (Northwestern). choosing school much easier if have inkling of specialty. For internal Med, peds, psych, Neuro, etc state school is fine, pick one you want.

Most recently heard Cooper was better at advocating for their students to match. Honestly if I had Mount Sinai, NYU, Albert Einstein acceptances even if more expensive may have considered more heavily. Also heard places like Jefferson have really cool class since most people are not in state and they had more class unity. RWJ very clique heavy, lacks true diversity (Hispanic, African American) students and faculty, and akin to high school. If choosing from state schools, I recommend NJMS for residencies (plastic, derm, ortho, optho, ENT). If have other choices (UVA), Einstein, etc May recommend. I chose based on lowest cost but affected in end anyway. Also going to a school in a certain region helps get residency interviews in that region (so if NJ and want to do residency in Florida, UMiami,etc or want to go to Chicago (Northwestern). choosing school much easier if have inkling of specialty. For internal Med, peds, psych, Neuro, etc state school is fine, pick one you want.

Lastly AOA and good humanism very political. Heard junior AOA based solely on grades and senior AOA seemed more faculty favorites ( like one African American and one Hispanic student granted Senior AOA in our class). Gold humanism is a peer voter popularity contest. Since AOA is based on grades and clinical grades too, bias possible.

Supposedly pre clinical they take the top 1/12 of student each rotation block and you get one point if you excelled too in each course block. ( thus the pass fail tests are not true pass fail). On dean letter says P/F but supposedly used for class tank and AOA determination. Most students at RWJMS are good test takers-shelf scores need to be honors to honor class. I missed most shelves and would have benefited from a school that did not mandate honoring both shelf and clinical grade to get honors-hurt class rank.

Well I did not attend NJMS so can’t give any definitive info. On my interview day the general admin at NJMS seemed off-putting and I had some friends there that agreed. Honestly Rwjms admin not much better they just had a better outward cloak. Most students applying to competitive specialties (derm,plastics) do research years elsewhere. It’s a combo of advisement and self selection, likely, as in that student wants to maximize their match odds and residency and make connections that did not exist at Rwjms. At other schools-NYU, umichigan, it may be more feasible to do quality research during preclinical and summer since those institutions have more resources