2021-2022 Sam Houston State University - College of Osteopathic Medicine (SHSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys!! Can everyone who prematched (which congratulations!!) say when you interviewed?
I interviewed on 8/27.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! Congrats to everyone who has prematched! Would y'all want to start a GroupMe/Facebook/etc so we can all get to know one another before school starts?

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do y'all know if / when SHSU-COM offers any scholarships?

Once you've prematched, dm me and I'll send you the discord link!

Hi everyone! My interview day at SHSU-COM is coming up and I'm a little nervous. This isn't my first interview, but it is the first one where I'll be interviewed by two faculty members at once. Can anyone give me any advice as to what they might ask? Also, the group activity, what does that look like? Are you asked to work in teams to solve something? Any help would be greatly appreciated and good luck to everyone interviewing!

Hi everyone! My interview day at SHSU-COM is coming up and I'm a little nervous. This isn't my first interview, but it is the first one where I'll be interviewed by two faculty members at once. Can anyone give me any advice as to what they might ask? Also, the group activity, what does that look like? Are you asked to work in teams to solve something? Any help would be greatly appreciated and good luck to everyone interviewing!
Congrats on the interview. Don't be nervous, it's the same as a one on one interview except they will alternate asking questions. Pretty standard questions if I recall.
For group activity, just know that they are more interested in how you interact and if you are willing to contribute. It's pretty chill

• Care
The group activity was super fun in my opinion, just be friendly and actively participate! The interviewers just take turns to ask questions, nothing too crazy

• Care
Congrats on the interview. Don't be nervous, it's the same as a one on one interview except they will alternate asking questions. Pretty standard questions if I recall.
For group activity, just know that they are more interested in how you interact and if you are willing to contribute. It's pretty chill
Thank you so much for the advice and the heads up on the interviewers alternating questions part. Now I know what to expect. Thanks again!

The group activity was super fun in my opinion, just be friendly and actively participate! The interviewers just take turns to ask questions, nothing too crazy
Thank you kindly for your advice! Definitely feel a lot better now that I know the group activity is super chill.

II received, interviewing 12/17
LM 64, Texas forever

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
II on December 17th. What's the format for the interviews? Are they MMI? I haven't been able to find much info on it.

Rejected pre interview today

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
rejected pre II complete a few weeks ago. Is it weird if I email and ask for app feedback even though I didn’t interview?

rejected pre II complete a few weeks ago. Is it weird if I email and ask for app feedback even though I didn’t interview?
Not at all! Definitely reach out! Worst they can say is no

Reactions: 1 users
They do application feedback but honestly it wasn't that helpful.
I just got a reply from them saying they do not have an admissions counselor and cannot provide feedback for me. Oh well on to the next 😣😢 good luck to the rest of y’all!

Did they give you feedback?

They gave me an appointment with a counselor but the person literally gave me 0 concrete things to improve upon. I had the feeling that they didn't even look at my app beforehand.

• Sad
Rejected Pre-ii this afternoon, complete in July.

• Care
I’m just confused by this whole dang med school application process. I’m an IS Texas applicant who has received numerous acceptance offers this cycle from well-established/older OOS DO programs and my first rejection comes from a newly-established Texas DO program with a mission statement that mirrors my application to the T...am I missing something? Have any other applicants had similar experiences during this cycle?

note: I am still extremely grateful for the acceptances I have received thus far in the cycle and realize what a huge blessing it is to be in my position. I am in no way attempting to offend or upset anyone with my comments/questions, i am simply hoping to gain clarity on the matter. Congratulations to those receiving acceptances or II to SHSU!! You’re going to be doctors! :)

does anyone who already interviewed know when we get information on which faculty members will be interviewing us? I can only see the interview agenda with times but no names of interviewers as of right now. Also, do we need to do anything else after selecting an interview date or do we just wait for an email closer to our interview date? thank you so much! everyone seems so kind in this forum

does anyone who already interviewed know when we get information on which faculty members will be interviewing us? I can only see the interview agenda with times but no names of interviewers as of right now. Also, do we need to do anything else after selecting an interview date or do we just wait for an email closer to our interview date? thank you so much! everyone seems so kind in this forum
I recall that a couple days before the interview, I clicked the interview tab in the portal and the two names were there

I’m just confused by this whole dang med school application process. I’m an IS Texas applicant who has received numerous acceptance offers this cycle from well-established/older OOS DO programs and my first rejection comes from a newly-established Texas DO program with a mission statement that mirrors my application to the T...am I missing something? Have any other applicants had similar experiences during this cycle?

note: I am still extremely grateful for the acceptances I have received thus far in the cycle and realize what a huge blessing it is to be in my position. I am in no way attempting to offend or upset anyone with my comments/questions, i am simply hoping to gain clarity on the matter. Congratulations to those receiving acceptances or II to SHSU!! You’re going to be doctors! :)
I feel you. Sometimes it does feel like a crapshoot tbh. I too have received lots of love from OOS DO schools, but these TX schools seem to be very stingy.
I guess part of it is rolling admissions vs the Match. Most people get the A on match day on TMDSAS.
The other part is the fact that SHSU has a smaller class size and there are just too many great applicants and not enough seats for everyone.
This whole process is a head scratcher for sure. Hang in there and congrats on the acceptances thus far!

thank you @Coogshockalocka for your response! i was also wondering how many students this new incoming class would be? i wasn't able to find it in this thread but I know last year's was around 100 ish

i was also wondering how many students this new incoming class would be? i wasn't able to find it in this thread but I know last year's was around 100 ish
I'm pretty sure this incoming class will be composed of 150 students!

Does anybody know on average how many seats do they fill with just pre-matches? (like 25%, 50%, etc..)

Same here, completed Casper and duet only and got a II. My friend received a pre-II rejection last week said it mentioned to complete all Altus assessments. I can check with Rebecca.

I got an interview invite but I only did the Casper test. Am I supposed to do the duet and snapshot too?
I believe duet and snapshot are alternate measures for the school to assess whether you are a good fit for the school, but if you got an interview with just Casper you should be good? Maybe admissions or someone on this thread would be able to elaborate.

It does feel like there is a lot of variability, and each school probably has their own preferences. I was a pre-interview R here, which was a slight bummer as I live about 5 minutes away, but I was accepted to a more established DO and MD school. Like you said I'm thankful but the variability is scary. I guess you just have to apply to a lot of schools.

• Love
I realized i didn't do the duet for Sam Houston with required all 3 Duet, Casper and Snapshot -.-