-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 SUNY - Downstate
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Complete email today as well. For half a second got my hopes up of an II and then realized that was stupid of me
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
also got complete email for 7/19!
Complete today! Submitted 8/10
Persaudirabia
Full Member
Complete on 8/17, submitted 8/13
lessiknowthebetter
Full Member
do you guys think its okay to abbreviate new york city as NYC in all secondary essays?
i did!do you guys think its okay to abbreviate new york city as NYC in all secondary essays?
SUNY downstate heavily favors NYC residents.
I was born and raised in nyc, family moved to texas after my hs graduation and two years later i transferred to a university in nyc. will my ties make a strong case for me? do they consider that??
I was born and raised in nyc, family moved to texas after my hs graduation and two years later i transferred to a university in nyc. will my ties make a strong case for me? do they consider that??
Got the secondary on 8/21, Submitted secondary today, got my complete email an hour later!
II received this morning! OOS, LM 71, URM
II received this morning! OOS, LM 71, URM
Hi ! When were you complete?
Hi ! When were you complete?
7/29
If it says "your application is ready" in the portal does that mean it has not been reviewed yet? Received complete email 8/4.
Yea basically its ready for review, so their way of saying "under review"
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does this change to somehow indicate they completed their review?Yea basically its ready for review, so their way of saying "under review"
Does this change to somehow indicate they completed their review?
Not sure, I myself have only received the "Your app is complete" email
II received IS ORM LM 71, verified 7/13 ish
When did you receive your complete email?
Jul 31When did you receive your complete email?
Melanated_Otaku981
Full Member
Are you In State?II received this morning! OOS, LM 71, URM
D
deleted1054798
Since they release A's in January is this school true rolling admission? Does having an early II give you an advantage?
Are you In State?
OOS = Out of State
lessiknowthebetter
Full Member
one of my physics courses isn't showing up in the section where we into the classes used to fulfill requirements. I got a C- in the class. do you guys think thats why its not showing up? C- is considering passing at my school
one of my physics courses isn't showing up in the section where we into the classes used to fulfill requirements. I got a C- in the class. do you guys think thats why its not showing up? C- is considering passing at my school
Check the website, because maybe based on their reqs, they want you to get a C or better ?? not sure myself tbh. I saw that my P/F courses wouldn't show up on the side
Yes, a C- does not satisfy their requirement of C or better so it can't be usedone of my physics courses isn't showing up in the section where we into the classes used to fulfill requirements. I got a C- in the class. do you guys think thats why its not showing up? C- is considering passing at my school
futuredocsurg12
New Member
For the pre-requisites, can we enter biochem courses for orgo chem 2? and molecular cell bio for bio 2? 🤔
It said on my complete email that they are not rollingSince they release A's in January is this school true rolling admission? Does having an early II give you an advantage?
D
deleted1054798
Ya so Idk if having an early II gives me and advantageIt said on my complete email that they are not rolling
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
inked.cuse
Full Member
When did you submit / complete ?II received yesterday. IS, LM 68, ORM.
medmedmed21
New Member
Does anyone know if we are supposed to upload a photo to the secondary application? I know some schools require you to do so, but I couldn't figure out how to upload it for this secondary app.
Care to explain?AVOID DOWNSTATE AT ALL COSTS
Melanated_Otaku981
Full Member
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Ima need some elaboration?!AVOID DOWNSTATE AT ALL COSTS
Not OP but I heard similar sentiments from a couple attendings, friends who go there, and even a professor who collaborates with some of the researchers there. Apparently there isn't much "school spirit" there and almost every MS2+ is lowkey depressed. There are also issues with funding within the hospital. Still, it's a med school and this is all hearsay.Care to explain?
On a different note, did anyone receive VITA invites from Downstate? It's on the AAMC VITA list but so far no one mentioned anything about it. I wonder if they're going to pull an Upstate and remove VITA from their admissions process.
I got the vita invite, they come out on thursdays of each week. Your experience is probably what you make of it. I imagine if you try hard enough you can find something to do in Brooklyn or meet at least a couple of friends...Not OP but I heard similar sentiments from a couple attendings, friends who go there, and even a professor who collaborates with some of the researchers there. Apparently there isn't much "school spirit" there and almost every MS2+ is lowkey depressed. There are also issues with funding within the hospital. Still, it's a med school and this is all hearsay.
On a different note, did anyone receive VITA invites from Downstate? It's on the AAMC VITA list but so far no one mentioned anything about it. I wonder if they're going to pull an Upstate and remove VITA from their admissions process.
Ah shoot, I was hoping they changed their minds about VITA lol.I got the vita invite, they come out on thursdays of each week. Your experience is probably what you make of it. I imagine if you try hard enough you can find something to do in Brooklyn or meet at least a couple of friends...
And definitely true. It just seems to me that you'll have to try a bit harder to make friends. Although between them jumping on the VITA bandwagon and the atmosphere there, I would personally choose another school if I were given the option. But like I said, it's still a respectable medical school.
Current student at Downstate. I wish I had someone who would have spoken to me candidly about downstate when i was applying and inquiring. If you are not aware with the culture at downstate I would really encourage you to think twice about coming here. Everything is very 'figure it out on your own.' Research opportunities are minimal, mentorship is minimal, financial support is minimal. Everyone who goes here seems to just be ok with it because we're too far in but hopefully this will deter some of the rest of you from attending if you have other options. My only frame of reference of course is my UGrad institution of course which had its imperfections but this place is just something else. Feel free to PM me for specifics.
Update: This is based on preclinical years so far. I have not started clerkship which is apparently what sets Downstate students apart from others. Take what I say with a grain of salt and do your due diligence to investigate.
Update: This is based on preclinical years so far. I have not started clerkship which is apparently what sets Downstate students apart from others. Take what I say with a grain of salt and do your due diligence to investigate.
Last edited:
QwertyLover123
Full Member
II tonight at literally 11pm was not expecting that! IS 518/3.7 — Complete 8/13
same!! my first II T_T 517/3.51, IS complete on 8/19I also just got an II. Definitely was not expecting an interview at this time of day!! 512/3.77, Complete 8/13
Maybe i haven't scoured through everything yet, but does anyone know how long the interview lasts?
edit: oh jk i literally just needed to calm down and read the welcome letter more thoroughly lol... it says "one-to-one interview with one of our faculty members, approximately 45-60 minutes in length via video conferencing (i.e. Zoom)."
Last edited:
hermitcrab97
Full Member
has anyone gotten the student interview yet?
not yet! my friend at downstate mentioned that those usually dont come until later in the cycle, like February? but pls feel free to correct me if anyone has more info!has anyone gotten the student interview yet?
D
deleted1034652
Interview invite this morning, in state
Interview invite this morning, in state
Stats/completed date? CONGRATS ALSO!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hermitcrab97
Full Member
not yet! my friend at downstate mentioned that those usually dont come until later in the cycle, like February? but pls feel free to correct me if anyone has more info!
i think they said someone should contact us within 5 days? or maybe i misread and that was about something else
I had my student interview yesterday.has anyone gotten the student interview yet?
These IIs that I’m not getting are by email, yeah? I dont need to check the portal?