-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 SUNY - Downstate
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
When were u complete ?got an II rn. IS and rest of stats in sig
its in my signature, turn ur phone sidewaysWhen were u complete ?
complete 9/1 due to late committe LoR smh
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know when Downstate stops interviewing? They said first half of the Spring semester, but not really sure when that is :O
Persaudirabia
Full Member
Very helpful, definitely review the SDN interview feedback for Downstate.For those that interviewed, how did you prepare for it? Was going over the SDN interview feedback for SUNY Downstate helpful or are those questions outdated?
Anyone know if this interview closed file or open file?
Also does anyone know the interviews/ acceptances ratio for the school?
Faculty interview was open file, the student interview the week after was closed file. Not sure about the ratios.
you can check interview:matriculate on msarAlso does anyone know the interviews/ acceptances ratio for the school?
That doesn't really tell the full story. Based on a schools historical record, they may choose to accept 2x or 3x the size of their incoming class to account for people accepting positions elsewhere.you can check interview:matriculate on msar
well unless you go dm some adcoms I really doubt youre going to find the answer you are looking for so why bother asking? Just assume they accept 2-3x more than matriculations lolThat doesn't really tell the full story. Based on a schools historical record, they may choose to accept 2x or 3x the size of their incoming class to account for people accepting positions elsewhere.
D
deleted1034652
Someone who interviewed here might have some information, many adcoms will tell those interviewing how many acceptances they give out each year.well unless you go dm some adcoms I really doubt youre going to find the answer you are looking for so why bother asking? Just assume they accept 2-3x more than matriculations lol
lol I agree with you, which is why I gave a non-answer response. There's no value stressing over details like that anywaywell unless you go dm some adcoms I really doubt youre going to find the answer you are looking for so why bother asking? Just assume they accept 2-3x more than matriculations lol
2025gradclass
Full Member
II yesterday... just hoping on this thread now!
Best of luck to all of you 🙂
Best of luck to all of you 🙂
When were you completeII yesterday... just hoping on this thread now!
Best of luck to all of you 🙂
2025gradclass
Full Member
Second week in September... Not sure of the exact date!When were you complete
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got an II! FIRST MD! Only dates in February- ILL TAKE IT!
Complete Mid September
Complete Mid September
IS or OOSJust got an II! FIRST MD! Only dates in February- ILL TAKE IT!
Complete Mid September
ISIS or OOS
II as well! OOS and complete 08/07
Congrats! Stats and did you send an update/interest letter? Thanks!II today, 09/09 complete, OOS
Interview dates in March only
Thank you! No interest/update letter.Congrats! Stats and did you send an update/interest letter? Thanks!
GPA 3.8+, LizzyM 68.
Olivetree154
New Member
Until April I heardDoes anyone know when Downstate stops interviewing? They said first half of the Spring semester, but not really sure when that is :O
Hey guys! Have your interviews been one on one? Group interview? Multiple faculty members?
one on one with a faculty member, and then a casual conversation with a studentHey guys! Have your interviews been one on one? Group interview? Multiple faculty members?
YASSSSS. Congrats!!!!Oh my God, I got my first II of the cycle just now! Complete 9/28. 64 LM, URM, OOS with ties.
I'm sending in an update today so I feel like your success is a good omen for me.
Not to take away from your success but I am still gonna make it about me!!!
love_franks_red_hot
Full Member
This makes me so happy for you and gives me hope! I was complete 10/1 and waiting on my first interview invite stillOh my God, I got my first II of the cycle just now! Complete 9/28. 65 LM, URM, OOS with ties.
They're already in March in terms of interview slots! It doesn't seem like they have many left if they stop interviewing in April. I'm starting to lose hope.
I interviewed today! It turned out to be an enjoyable experience. I thought the writing assignment was unusual, but it wasn't as bad as I imagined. Don't be like me and turn it in at the last minute (quite literally).
Does anyone who interviewed already know if it is unusual to not hear from the medical student (for peer-to-peer conversation) on the same day of the interview?
Does anyone who interviewed already know if it is unusual to not hear from the medical student (for peer-to-peer conversation) on the same day of the interview?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I believe we don't start hearing back until February.Anyone know how long it takes to hear back after you interview? I interviewed today
I think the decisions are announced in FebruaryAnyone know how long it takes to hear back after you interview? I interviewed today
Zulka
Full Member
Yes, mine reached out a week later.I interviewed today! It turned out to be an enjoyable experience. I thought the writing assignment was unusual, but it wasn't as bad as I imagined. Don't be like me and turn it in at the last minute (quite literally).
Does anyone who interviewed already know if it is unusual to not hear from the medical student (for peer-to-peer conversation) on the same day of the interview?
I interviewed Tuesday with the faculty member, and the peer to peer interviewer emailed me Wednesday morning with a list of dates to do it. I think it is just dependent on the student themselves.I interviewed today! It turned out to be an enjoyable experience. I thought the writing assignment was unusual, but it wasn't as bad as I imagined. Don't be like me and turn it in at the last minute (quite literally).
Does anyone who interviewed already know if it is unusual to not hear from the medical student (for peer-to-peer conversation) on the same day of the interview?
Your interview is coming.What does it take to get an interview from this school? I’m from nyc and I think I’m a good fit. Complete mid-august too. I don’t get it- this process really is so random
I think you will receive an II soon if you have a strong connection to NYC. Especially with how many II's you got this cycle, it's looking great tbhWhat does it take to get an interview from this school? I’m from nyc and I think I’m a good fit. Complete mid-august too. I don’t get it- this process really is so random
MedicalStudent888
Full Member
im in exact same boat! Also from NYC, complete mid august, and really think it would be a great place for me.What does it take to get an interview from this school? I’m from nyc and I think I’m a good fit. Complete mid-august too. I don’t get it- this process really is so random
Sent an update Monday so hoping that will help a bit but who knows at this point :/
did you happen to do the general info session yet? If so how long does it take? I know it starts at 3 but im working an overnight at 7 on the day of the next GIS so wondering if i can squeeze it in on that day or notI think the decisions are announced in February
I did my peer interview yesterday. Was anyone else's peer interview awkward? Mine was like 10 minutes MAX and the interviewer threw out the 4 required questions and scratched down some notes while I talked. Definitely did not seem like a "conversation" lmao.
Last edited:
No, but it's less than 2 hours for sure!did you happen to do the general info session yet? If so how long does it take? I know it starts at 3 but im working an overnight at 7 on the day of the next GIS so wondering if i can squeeze it in on that day or not
I did one just now. The student let me know that there was a list of questions for me and that he can answer my questions at the end. It took about 10 minutes for me to answer the questions (I could hear the typing), and I think for the rest of the time, I asked my questions and he answered them all nicely. That said, I don't think it really matters that the call was shorter than expected.I did my peer interview yesterday. Was anyone else's peer interview awkward? Mine was like 10 minutes MAX and the interviewer threw out the 4 required questions and scratched down some notes while I talked. Definitely did not seem like a "conversation" lmao.
I think that's what says on the website too. However, my interviewer told me that they do not hoard decisions and give out decisions on a rolling basis.. he said the committee member sit on a table, discuss and vote on the applicants...he even told me to expect a decision within a month. Since I did not see anyone on this thread reporting that they have received any result yet, I am just gonna assume that the info he gave me is inaccurate :/I think the decisions are announced in February
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My guess is that it’s like Einstein. Decisions come out on a rolling basis STARTING early February. Sucks, but it is what it is, I guess.I think that's what says on the website too. However, my interviewer told me that they do not hoard decisions and give out decisions on a rolling basis.. he said the committee member sit on a table, discuss and vote on the applicants...he even told me to expect a decision within a month. Since I did not see anyone on this thread reporting that they have received any result yet, I am just gonna assume that the info he gave me is inaccurate :/
Late to the game and may be repeating something already discussed (sorry for you to relive this) but anyone have an idea of how strongly they’re considering the VITA portion? Let’s just say q1 will haunt me for the rest of my life
Late to the game and may be repeating something already discussed (sorry for you to relive this) but anyone have an idea of how strongly they’re considering the VITA portion? Let’s just say q1 will haunt me for the rest of my life
I don't think anyone truly knows how they're going to use VITA. My best guess is that at the committee meeting, they'll watch the VITA video while reviewing your app. So instead of only one person getting to "meet you" the whole committee gets same FaceTime. I have a feeling VITA is here to stay unfortunately.
Hopefully this isn't the case and they're just doing a test run of VITA this year. None of my friends had great experiences with VITA and like @10vbplayer, q1 is going to haunt me even if I get into Downstate.I don't think anyone truly knows how they're going to use VITA. My best guess is that at the committee meeting, they'll watch the VITA video while reviewing your app. So instead of only one person getting to "meet you" the whole committee gets same FaceTime. I have a feeling VITA is here to stay unfortunately.
Hopefully this isn't the case and they're just doing a test run of VITA this year. None of my friends had great experiences with VITA and like @10vbplayer, q1 is going to haunt me even if I get into Downstate.
I also didn't feel great about it. Definitely underestimated how awkward talking to my own reflection is.