2020-2021 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
More likely to be, but I think it’s possible to still get accepted

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
has anyone emailed or called anyone in admissions to ask about when more A's are gonna come out for Aug-Dec? i emailed them myself last night and they gave me the generic email as always....

hey just curious how long your interview lasted. I've been amazed by the variability on this. My interview was 70 min, but some people posted here 30-40 min.
Mine was 30 minutes. My interviewer showed up late and was clearly just in his lunch break so he had to keep it short. He didn’t even give me an opportunity to ask questions at the end, after my last response to the admission questions he was like okay you’ll do great someone will accept you good luck bye lol. He seemed like a nice guys just was super super short and right to the point

Members don't see this ad :)
Huh, interesting. Mine lasted about 80 minutes since we started 10 minutes early and went over by 10 minutes. I'm surprised some people didn't use all of the time, but then again I low-key rambled on a few questions.
That’s interesting, my interviewer was clearly in the break room at work and was trying to keep it short so he could eat lol. Nice guy but you could tell he just wanted to finish with the interview to go on with his day

• Haha
Look up your interviewer beforehand - they usually pick someone who has some sort of connection to something on your app, so you can use that to your advantage. Prepare some questions you have about Downstate. Stay calm - its ok to take a deep breath before answering. Also, what 14_karat said.
Lol I totally tried to internet stalk my interviewer before hand but couldn’t find anything other than what speciality he was in. Found it to be a nice coincidence that both his wife and I are from Belarus 🙃

That’s interesting, my interviewer was clearly in the break room at work and was trying to keep it short so he could eat lol. Nice guy but you could tell he just wanted to finish with the interview to go on with his day
lol mine was the same way! Except the guy had an extremely distinguished career and even founded a subspecialty of medicine. Definitely went into that one with some anxiety. I thought for sure I was a goner just by the way he acted, but I guess I did relatively well? I don't think VITA mattered at all though cuz I completely 💣💣💣 that

Lol I totally tried to internet stalk my interviewer before hand but couldn’t find anything other than what speciality he was in. Found it to be a nice coincidence that both his wife and I are from Belarus 🙃
🤍❤️🤍

A yesterday!!!!! Interviewed in Oct!

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 17 users
Checked last year's thread. There was really only one wave of As going out to MD only applicants. The second wave was for MD-MPH. The rest heard back around 4/15 for post-II R, and alt list at the end of April.
I'm sad :hungover:
Alt list u mean WL? Well how about people who got accepted off of WL?

New to posting on this thread but wanted to say my peer interview was a first year who interviewed in March last year and then got accepted in may! So an A is definitely still possible!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
New to posting on this thread but wanted to say my peer interview was a first year who interviewed in March last year and then got accepted in may! So an A is definitely still possible!
Isn’t the deadline for med schools April 30 tho?

THATS AMAZING CONGRATS!!!! seems like you were the only one that posted! around what time did you get the A if you dont mind?

Thank you! Pretty excited (first A of the cycle!). I got the email at 4:08PM EST.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
I got an II yesterday and absolutely shocked about it! I’m OOS with a slightly above avg MCAT and very avg gpa. I visited Brooklyn in Oct 2019 and I absolutely loved it so I decided to shoot my shot with applying here! My interview will be in April so I know chances may be slim for and A but I am stoked to interview :)

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I got an II yesterday and absolutely shocked about it! I’m OOS with a slightly above avg MCAT and very avg gpa. I visited Brooklyn in Oct 2019 and I absolutely loved it so I decided to shoot my shot with applying here! My interview will be in April so I know chances may be slim for and A but I am stoked to interview :)
I also have an II scheduled for the first week of April! It's not over till it's over!

lol mine was the same way! Except the guy had an extremely distinguished career and even founded a subspecialty of medicine. Definitely went into that one with some anxiety. I thought for sure I was a goner just by the way he acted, but I guess I did relatively well? I don't think VITA mattered at all though cuz I completely 💣💣💣 that
I got my acceptance without even completing my vita lol

• Haha
For accepted students, I called admissions and apparently we have to select plan to enroll on AMCAS otherwise be rescinded????

Scoured this thread but can't find the answer. Who would you address your letter of intent to? The admissions committee, dean, etc.?

For accepted students, I called admissions and apparently we have to select plan to enroll on AMCAS otherwise be rescinded????

that doesn’t make sense since the school can’t see specific names until April

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah I'm not sure if this is allowed until Apr 30!! I'm a lil concerned because I don't want to shoot myself in the foot at other schools because of Downstate's policy.

What do you mean by specific names?

Also their website says the deadline to commit to enroll is April 30th, as well as part of the accepted student portal. Other partsw of the portal suggest 14 day response, as well as the admissions person I called

Also their website says the deadline to commit to enroll is April 30th, as well as part of the accepted student portal. Other partsw of the portal suggest 14 day response, as well as the admissions person I called
Are you sure? The acceptance letter says we have to select "plan to enroll" by April 30th

To anyone that already interviewed. I had my interview but have heard nothing about the student interview. My interviewer never mentioned it and none of the emails did. When did you guys actually first hear about the student interview? Were you just randomly contacted by the student or something else?

Are you sure? The acceptance letter says we have to select "plan to enroll" by April 30th
1) This is what my decision letter says,

"To retain your place in the entering class, you must click on "Admissions Decision" in the left blue menu bar and click on "Offer Response" and adhere to the posted due date in your reply form. A $100 Admissions Deposit must be paid within 14 calendar days to hold your seat in the entering class. If you do not submit your deposit by 11:59 pm on the posted due date and also select “Plan to Enroll,” your acceptance offer will be withdrawn."

2) On the Offer Response page of the portal, it says this
"Please complete the responses to all the selections noted below within 14 calendar days

A $100 Admissions
Deposit must be paid to hold your seat in the entering class. If you do not submit your deposit by April 30, 2021, no later than 11:59 pm on the posted due date and also select “Plan to Enroll,” your acceptance offer will be withdrawn.

Note: This Response form is for the recent decision letter you received. If you were previously accepted to one of our programs and accepted the offer, you will not be able to complete this response.

Please email [email protected] with your decision to accept or decline this offer."

3) Their website says April 30th
How to Apply to the College of Medicine

Ughhhhhh

Mine was over the phone, but my peer interviewer let me
Know that before hand. I’d dress atleast business casual in case they zoom you.

To anyone that already interviewed. I had my interview but have heard nothing about the student interview. My interviewer never mentioned it and none of the emails did. When did you guys actually first hear about the student interview? Were you just randomly contacted by the student or something else?
I spoke to admissions before my interview and they confirmed that someone would reach out to me. After my interview, a student reached out that evening. I’d give them a call or email if it’s been a while

Ahh could somebody volunteer to call the admissions office and ask about future decision dates?

• Care
Ya, you don't find out about it till after your interview - a student will reach out and schedule a date/time with you. It's literally just a 15-minute phone conversation, nbd.

Ahh could somebody volunteer to call the admissions office and ask about future decision dates?
haha i did the email part and i got the generic SUNY DS response email so ik EMAIL will never help

I don't think selecting Plan To Enroll will be detrimental to you in any way until April 30th. Even after the 30th, only the selected school will see you have PTE.

If you are waiting to hear back from other schools, I would just PTE Downstate right now and be safe. Other schools will only know once you Commit To Enroll, not PTE.

I interviewed here with a faculty member on Jan. 11 and had my student interview over the phone three days later. The faculty interview was about 35 minutes and the student interview was an hour. Both had questions they were required to ask me – see the SDN interview feedback for Downstate for a good sense of what they will be. The faculty interviewer seemed a bit rushed and didn't leave any time for questions. On the other hand, I asked at least half of the questions in the student interview! It was a nice conversation.

Still waiting for a decision, and feeling a bit frustrated that Admissions wouldn't promise a decision date earlier than August.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think selecting Plan To Enroll will be detrimental to you in any way until April 30th. Even after the 30th, only the selected school will see you have PTE.

If you are waiting to hear back from other schools, I would just PTE Downstate right now and be safe. Other schools will only know once you Commit To Enroll, not PTE.
They can’t force us to plan to enroll can they???!

They can’t force us to plan to enroll can they???!
Technically AMCAS only provide guidelines; each school is allowed to set their own policies.
If they say you have to PTE within 2 weeks of acceptance, then they could rescind your acceptance if you don't.

I'm like 99% sure Downstate means within 2 weeks after April 30th, but since PTE doesn't commit you to anything, I PTE'd just to be safe.

**There is a huge difference between Plan to Enroll and Commit to Enroll**

I was contacted by a student like 1.5 weeks later.

I don’t understand why they cannot make their instructions clear in wording.

I actually got an e-mail response after accepting my offer of admission and they said: “As for the admissions deposit, you may make that deposit starting in April.”

Like ??? So is the 14 days an actual deadline or what ?

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t understand why they cannot make their instructions clear in wording.

I actually got an e-mail response after accepting my offer of admission and they said: “As for the admissions deposit, you may make that deposit starting in April.”

Like ??? So is the 14 days an actual deadline or what ?
Yeah this is SUPER NOT CLEAR of them...

Does anyone know if the student peer-to-peer is open file or not? Many thanks!

I interviewed 11/3/2020 and still havent heard anything backk..... anyone on the same boat?

I refuse to believe that they sent As for all their dec interviewees. Only two Dec interviewees posted about receiving As in the last wave. Does anybody know what is going on? It is march already :(

• Sad
I'm a tad paranoid about something going wrong with the offer acceptance confirmation process, so I just want to confirm I did everything necessary for the imminent future:

1) Replied to the offer response page on the school admissions portal
2) Paid the $100 deposit
3) Sent an email saying I accept their offer
4) Sent in the criminal background check

Am I missing anything? Also, does anyone have any clue when Downstate sends more info so we can begin to complete the other items on the pre-matriculation checklist?

I'm a tad paranoid about something going wrong with the offer acceptance confirmation process, so I just want to confirm I did everything necessary for the imminent future:

1) Replied to the offer response page on the school admissions portal
2) Paid the $100 deposit
3) Sent an email saying I accept their offer
4) Sent in the criminal background check

Am I missing anything? Also, does anyone have any clue when Downstate sends more info so we can begin to complete the other items on the pre-matriculation checklist?

I got a request for criminal background check back in January when I had no A .. but I still completed it anyways. Do certiphi service send it automatically to the schools? Or do we have to manually ask them to release it..?