2020-2021 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My interviewer was super nice! I honestly felt like we were having a conversation and he just boosted up my morale a lot

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
SUNY was where I had my first interview and it was very relaxed, though admittedly I might have just gotten lucky. Though, given how I still haven't gotten any emails about their decision, I can't be sure how lucky I actually am. Just keep to the standard advice for most normal interviews and hope you've got an interviewer that you can build a rapport with. We both suffered technical difficulties over Zoom so we were able to start off pretty casually thanks to commiserating over the platform's issues.

Has anybody tried calling the admissions to ask about future decisions release?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody tried calling the admissions to ask about future decisions release?
Didn't call admissions but for my interview today, they said MD-PhD decisions would be approximately 2-3 weeks after the MD-only decisions and around the 3rd/4th week of March. So a round of decisions maybe in a week or two?

Is an early March interview here considered too late as in its most likely for a waitlist position? Or the playing field still more or less even rn?

So are there more decisions for MD-only? I interviewed in early January.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a feeling for tomorrow.... but... again.... have been having feelings since EARLY FEBRUARY! +pity+

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a feeling for tomorrow.... but... again.... have been having feelings since EARLY FEBRUARY! +pity+
I keep telling myself this ever since last monday but its disappointment so far...

• Care
  • Okay...
Reactions: 7 users
Has anyone who received the continued interest email on 2/1 heard anything since then?

Thank you for your interview advice everyone!

In response to this:

How do we find out who our interviewer is ahead of time? Is that information included in the email with the Zoom link? Speaking of which, my interview is at 10:00 AM tomorrow, but I have not yet received the Zoom link (which they said would come 1-2 days before). Should I just be patient or reach out now?
You'll likely get the link sometime this afternoon, along with the name of your interviewer.

Checked last year's thread. There was really only one wave of As going out to MD only applicants. The second wave was for MD-MPH. The rest heard back around 4/15 for post-II R, and alt list at the end of April.
I'm sad :hungover:

• Sad
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
Checked last year's thread. There was really only one wave of As going out to MD only applicants. The second wave was for MD-MPH. The rest heard back around 4/15 for post-II R, and alt list at the end of April.
welp that killed my day

I don't know if this is 100% true for this cycle because people who interviewed in January still haven't heard back and someone earlier in the thread said that they contacted the admissions department and said MD admissions were still going to come out! So there's still hope! Hold your heads high!

I don't know if this is 100% true for this cycle because people who interviewed in January still haven't heard back and someone earlier in the thread said that they contacted the admissions department and said MD admissions were still going to come out! So there's still hope! Hold your heads high!
This. No school wastes its resources to interview students for waitlist or rejection.

September interview here and no news...

• Care
I highly doubt 250-300 acceptances went out last Monday (which is a conservative estimate of given acceptances to fill 3/4 of the class, leaving room for January+ interviewees to be considered). Ultimately they have to give out ~400 acceptances to fill a class of 200. With the way people are hoarding interviews and acceptances because of COVID, schools are likely waiting longer to give out acceptances and gauging yield based on internal registration numbers and the aggregate data from amcas CYMS tool.
My guess is high priority acceptances went out last week, they’ll wait to see how many people reserve seats, and will give out more seats in the coming weeks. Either way to wait this long for a decision is not ideal considering I’m holding a spot at another school now, which could go to someone else if downstate accepted me (top choice). If it’s going to be a reject for me, at least let me know soon so I can really start commiting to doing all the institutional financial aid stuff / housing planning / etc.

Interviewed in October.

• Okay...
Reactions: 9 users
I highly doubt 250-300 acceptances went out last Monday (which is a conservative estimate of given acceptances to fill 3/4 of the class, leaving room for January+ interviewees to be considered). Ultimately they have to give out ~400 acceptances to fill a class of 200. With the way people are hoarding interviews and acceptances because of COVID, schools are likely waiting longer to give out acceptances and gauging yield based on internal registration numbers and the aggregate data from amcas CYMS tool.
My guess is high priority acceptances went out last week, they’ll wait to see how many people reserve seats, and will give out more seats in the coming weeks. Either way to wait this long for a decision is not ideal considering I’m holding a spot at another school now, which could go to someone else if downstate accepted me (top choice). If it’s going to be a reject for me, at least let me know soon so I can really start commiting to doing all the institutional financial aid stuff / housing planning / etc.

Interviewed in October.
I'm in the same exact boat down to very same time frame you interviewed for haha. I'm possibly thinking that downstate is my top choice but I've been a bit hesitant on writing a letter of Intent, I wonder if it actually works though.

There was only one acceptance post from someone who interviewed in December, 02/02 I believe, out of all the acceptance posts. So, not only are January interviews waiting but December too.

I'm not sure that the website is updated for this year per-say but it does say the following, so I believe January+ interviewees just hear back later than other:

"We will begin to render admissions decision at the end of February 2021. It is not unusual for an applicant to wait several weeks before notification of their status. We will only send written notification of their status to the address listed on their AMCAS application. Applicants who are interviewed between mid-January 2021 – April 2021 should expect a decision late Spring."

one caveat being that it's silly to try to figure out what percentage of people accepted are on SDN, and further, what percentage of those are inclined to post that they got accepted. My feeling is that the number of people that posted last Monday is too few to assume most/all acceptances went out then. Anyone actually count the number of posted acceptances last Monday?

I would suspect that the rest of the admissions offers will roll out until the end of April to address the people who have interviewed during the latter end of the interview period up until the publication of the alternate list. And then there will be some movement after the alternate list is published. I think there is hope for everyone who hasn't gotten an offer yet so don't get anxious yet!

LOL USF would say otherwise. But I agree it shouldn’t be like that.
Fair enough. But Florida schools this cycle have been notorious for a variety of reasons.

My friend who's attending downstate right now interviewed in mid-January last year. He heard back in May. That's the only thing I have to go off on

so my birthday is this week... you think downstate held on to my A so they can give me the BEST GIFT EVER 🙏

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
I'm not sure that the website is updated for this year per-say but it does say the following, so I believe January+ interviewees just hear back later than other:

"We will begin to render admissions decision at the end of February 2021. It is not unusual for an applicant to wait several weeks before notification of their status. We will only send written notification of their status to the address listed on their AMCAS application. Applicants who are interviewed between mid-January 2021 – April 2021 should expect a decision late Spring."
thank you for this;/ makes a november interviewee feel a little better. question, do you have a link to where it says this? can't find it

[/QUOTE]

LOL me wondering if my Jan interview falls into the early or mid January category :)

LOL me wondering if my Jan interview falls into the early or mid January category :)
[/QUOTE]
What about those who interviewed in Dec?! :(

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Just interviewed here today and thought it went pretty well. I'd be glad to pay forward some advice to any future interviewees given all the help I had from past interviewees on here.

hey just curious how long your interview lasted. I've been amazed by the variability on this. My interview was 70 min, but some people posted here 30-40 min.

hey just curious how long your interview lasted. I've been amazed by the variability on this. My interview was 70 min, but some people posted here 30-40 min.
edit: Don't mind me lol. Not who you quoted, but I just double-checked and mine was also one hour long.

mine was 90 minutes long, but it's just because me and the interviewer got carried away talkin about random **** + I had some questions for him.

For anyone who has a fragile ego like mine and speculating my waitlist position at Drexel, I think the same will happen here. Fall interviewees who did not get their acceptances are probably getting an R or WL. Lowering my expectations, so I don't get disappointed. HOWEVER, WL wait for A to decline offers. Not deferred. Which means there's still hope for all of us!

Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear back or still waiting to interview. My experience yesterday was that it was a long (80 minute) interview with both stressful moments and more relaxed moments. Not much we can do now besides wait!

Does anyone know when SUNY Downstate usually starts sending out WL and R notifications?

We might be hearing something today or tomorrow with more As since it is the end of February already. On their site, it says that people who interviewed mid-jan onwards will be hearing back late Spring. However they barely sent out any decisions for December and early January interviewees so they still owe us decisions in "late February"

Huh, interesting. Mine lasted about 80 minutes since we started 10 minutes early and went over by 10 minutes. I'm surprised some people didn't use all of the time, but then again I low-key rambled on a few questions.
Iknow my int
mine was an hour and she had back to back interviews, she got a call during to remind her she was a few minutes late. i imagine a lot of interviewers have back to backs

Is a first week of March interview just an interview for a waitlist spot?