2020-2021 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview went :/

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
wtf II today... completed 8/18, can see scheduling dates on 4/13-15, 4/19-20. Will withdraw and hope this slot goes to someone that needs it!

Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone else get an email inviting them to a special event for MD/MPH students? I'm very confused right now as I've only received an acceptance from the MPH program to my knowledge...just wondering if anyone is in a similar position?

Manifesting a decision wave today

Reactions: 1 users
I like you optimism, but experience and my gut is telling me we won't get any more decisions until mid April
That would truly be unfortunate. Not sure why they would wait that long unless they’re really waiting for Commit to Enroll to open.

Did anyone else get an email inviting them to a special event for MD/MPH students? I'm very confused right now as I've only received an acceptance from the MPH program to my knowledge...just wondering if anyone is in a similar position?
According to last year's thread, MD/MPH applicants get their MPH acceptances first, then get their MD As later down the line.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got my MD and MPH acceptances already so make sure you check for both.

I refuse to believe that they sent As for all their dec interviewees. Only two Dec interviewees posted about receiving As in the last wave. Does anybody know what is going on? It is march already :(
Hi, I am new on SDN so how do we check who posts about receiving A? Is it on this thread?

Officially withdrew my acceptance here, hope it goes to one of you! Interviewed 10/27 (it did not go well), and was accepted 2/16 (MD/MPH offer 2/16 and separate MPH offer 2/17, so I got my MD offer first). Good luck everyone :)

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone else complete the criminal background check but still see it as incomplete on the pre-matric checklist on the portal?

Last edited:
been a month since first wave of A's, i hope we hear some more things soon!!! PRAYER CIRCLE

Reactions: 9 users
Hi, I am new on SDN so how do we check who posts about receiving A? Is it on this thread?
basically you just have to read through this thread. if someone was offered an acceptance, they may or may not post about it. the first set of A's were sent around Feb 16 if you scroll back to then

Has anyone else received an email asking for additional information and requesting you answer a couple of questions? is this standard?

• Hmm
Has anyone else received an email asking for additional information and requesting you answer a couple of questions? is this standard?
Yes they asked me to answer two questions they had about my app. I would take it as a good sign that they are genuinely interested in you and just need to clarify some things. If they weren't interested I assume they wouldn't ask and would just WL you

Yes they asked me to answer two questions they had about my app. I would take it as a good sign that they are genuinely interested in you and just need to clarify some things. If they weren't interested I assume they wouldn't ask and would just WL you
Thank you!! appreciate this

They also emailed me a few questions a few weeks after my interview. Depending on what they ask you, it could be a good place to toss in a few significant updates (pub, new volunteering/job, etc.) too.

how were your peer interviews like? i have one scheduled soon and don't know what to expect besides me asking as many questions as i can about life/work/travel/brooklyn

I interviewed in mid Oct and still haven't heard back.. is it safe to assume I’m R or WL? Is anyone els on the same boat?

I interviewed in mid Oct and still haven't heard back.. is it safe to assume I’m R or WL? Is anyone els on the same boat?
Yep. I think my interview was Sept even. I think they’ve put us on a silent waitlist while they see who of the acceptees is interested. Which is pretty terrible of them, but considering how awful their full admissions process has been (for me at least), I can’t say I’m surprised. Not a good look for the school as a whole IMO.

I have my interview this Thursday; I’m super excited and nervous! Can anyone share their experiences? Is it just the 1 interview and that’s it? And when did you find out who/when your peer interview was?

Yep. I think my interview was Sept even. I think they’ve put us on a silent waitlist while they see who of the acceptees is interested. Which is pretty terrible of them, but considering how awful their full admissions process has been (for me at least), I can’t say I’m surprised. Not a good look for the school as a whole IMO.
Idk about that... during my interview day the dean said no news is still good news.... so unless they have already told you it's a WL I wouldn't count yourself out. The first wave of acceptances was small and you can probably be int he future waves

how were your peer interviews like? i have one scheduled soon and don't know what to expect besides me asking as many questions as i can about life/work/travel/brooklyn
Very conversational, absolutely loved my interviewer! It’s closed file so gives you more room to really tell them the type of person you are without them having a preconceived idea! Very low stress, just prepare questions for them!

Had my interview today? Don’t know if my feelings about it being bad even feel real or just me making it that way Bc of #premed

Idk about that... during my interview day the dean said no news is still good news.... so unless they have already told you it's a WL I wouldn't count yourself out. The first wave of acceptances was small and you can probably be int he future waves
I mean, maybe? I was one of the first interview days and they told us we’d hear back a month ago. I have an acceptance elsewhere so I’ve just lost steam with this school. I’m staying on in case of finaid, but after they threatened to pull my app post-interview for their own mistake, and now this ridiculous near 6-month wait to get a damn status update, I’m just over it.

I mean, maybe? I was one of the first interview days and they told us we’d hear back a month ago. I have an acceptance elsewhere so I’ve just lost steam with this school. I’m staying on in case of finaid, but after they threatened to pull my app post-interview for their own mistake, and now this ridiculous near 6-month wait to get a damn status update, I’m just over it.
That’s fair! I just feel like everyone on this thread is so doomsday about everything and it really seemed like they’re not even close to being done with As so I thought I’d shed a little light on it. It definitely doesn’t feel great that theyre waiting so long to finish accepting folks/letting them know soon enough

That’s fair! I just feel like everyone on this thread is so doomsday about everything and it really seemed like they’re not even close to being done with As so I thought I’d shed a little light on it. It definitely doesn’t feel great that theyre waiting so long to finish accepting folks/letting them know soon enough
Fair enough and agreed. I just think that since the April deadlines are coming up quickly, they really need to tell us where we stand, especially if we interviewed half a year ago now. I’d rather know that I’m officially waitlisted so that I can plan than to sit in silence for another month. Getting accepted outright in April won’t do much if people have already made other plans. There is really no excuse at this point. I get no decisions for those who interviewed in 2021, but fall dates should have had a decision by now.

Reactions: 7 users
I agree 100% with above sentiment. It's disrespectful to keep fall interviewees waiting like this for the benefit of their acceptance yield.

Reactions: 9 users
i know a lot pf people have emailed about updates on the situation, has anyone called up the admissions office and asked about the decisions for those Fall-early winter interviewees?

Has any accepted person been able to get in contact with a current student? I requested to get in tough with a student from a specific organization with the admissions department via e-mail but no response. I’m two steps away from just resorting to Instagram lol.
I reached out to my MS2 student interviewer and she was really receptive to call to answer questions even though she is currently studying for Step 1. Really liking the student vibe in getting here so far :)

@ those who interviewed, is the email with your zoom link the email where you find out who your interviewers are? or is there another email ill be getting from my actual interview?

@ those who interviewed, is the email with your zoom link the email where you find out who your interviewers are? or is there another email ill be getting from my actual interview?
I got an email morning of with the writing assignment and the interviewer’s name/speciality! I planned to read it after the interview bc I had work thinking it was just the assignment then my interviewer said “I thought they sent you that” when I asked his specialty 🥲

Does anyone know if the only way to send in thank you letters is through the portal? My interviewer's email is online but I am not sure if we are supposed to reach out to them individually like that.

Does anyone know if the only way to send in thank you letters is through the portal? My interviewer's email is online but I am not sure if we are supposed to reach out to them individually like that.
Both works, depending on what your interviewer said. All of my interviewers this year gave me their emails, so I just sent them thank you emails directly.

Interviewed in mid-February and planning to send one this week.
is the general premise that LOIs can only help you? i'm debating sending one too but am worried they'll find it annoying :/ am i just overthinking?