2020-2021 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
me realizing my March interview was probably for a WL spot šŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤”

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I really don;t understand why they sent out waitlist decision before post-II R waves. anybody want tot share their theory?

Reactions: 1 user
I really don;t understand why they sent out waitlist decision before post-II R waves. anybody want tot share their theory?
We need them more than they need us.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Current student here. Was in a similar spot as many of you last year. Lmk if you have any questions!

Reactions: 2 users
Any admitted student still waiting for Fin Aid package? Like, how can I make an informed decision by April 30th without fin aid info OR second look??

Any admitted student still waiting for Fin Aid package? Like, how can I make an informed decision by April 30th without fin aid info OR second look??

You didnā€™t receive it? Have you checked the MyDownstate portal (separate website from the admissions portal)? You would then go to the self-service section ā€”> financial aid

Oh wait I got on the alternate list. Downstate didn't even send me a decision email... Almost missed the AL invitation. Also, I don't have to do financial aid until I'm accepted right? Or did I need to apply for it then add the school after acceptance?

Reactions: 1 users
Did you find it in the portal? I was nervous about this and checked there a few times but didnā€™t see anything. Would it pop right up?
yeah it will have its own tab on the portal on the same menu that lists "supplemental" "admissions" "status", there will be a tab that says "Admissions decision- alternate"

Does anyone know this schools FAFSA code? Is it wise to apply for financial aid for it if Iā€™m on the AL?

is there anyone who has already ordered a certiphi background check for another school that knows how to have that one be released to downstate? Someone from certiphi told me itā€™s illegal to send the report that they did for one school anywhere else, but Iā€™ve heard that you donā€™t have to order multiple reports. Has anyone dealt with something like this?

is there anyone who has already ordered a certiphi background check for another school that knows how to have that one be released to downstate? Someone from certiphi told me itā€™s illegal to send the report that they did for one school anywhere else, but Iā€™ve heard that you donā€™t have to order multiple reports. Has anyone dealt with something like this?
For me the certiphy I did for one school registered as complete within a few days of being accepted at my next school. I think it works similar to Casper where that work is dealt w by the companies

anyone know if it's true the studio dorms are reserved for M2s and above? that's what it says in the residence hall handbook but there's no mention of it on their website

Members don't see this ad :)
Any 3/8 interviews heard back?
Not a word since the student interview.

The admissions department guaranteed we would hear back within 60 days from the student panel on 4/2, so we should be good to go by... early June?

Not a word since the student interview.

The admissions department guaranteed we would hear back within 60 days from the student panel on 4/2, so we should be good to go by... early June?
^that. I honestly think we'll hear something back by the first or second week of may if they've already gotten through everyone till february.

i think it's a consensus that everyone who interviewed from sept-late January was put in the AL while everyone from feb-april interviews still hasn't heard back right?

Last edited:
Yeah, that's my understanding. I believe they got to around mid-February since that's the latest interview date for an AL and earliest interview date for silence that I saw (no date overlap between the groups afaik).
yes i believe youre right i think the AL goes as far as mid february. cause i have yet to hear of anyone that had an interview during this time and didnt end up on the AL

anyone else on AL with no As rewriting their essays yet

Interviewed on 3/8, haven't heard back yet. I was thinking of sending an update letter; does it make sense to do that before hearing back, or should I wait until that happens?

You didnā€™t receive it? Have you checked the MyDownstate portal (separate website from the admissions portal)? You would then go to the self-service section ā€”> financial aid
Thank you for this!! I just got my NetID today!!!! Nothing too exciting on the fin aid portal, haha!

is there a phone number we can call SUNY downstate at? cause no-one is on the office to pick up the regular phone number, we can only leave a message. I'm trying to call and see updates about the way the alternate list is going to be moving

Last edited:
Hi. Do accepted students at DS have to select plan to enroll by the April 30 deadline or select commit to enroll. I am currently on WL at a few other schools and would hate to commit if not required

Hi. Do accepted students at DS have to select plan to enroll by the April 30 deadline or select commit to enroll. I am currently on WL at a few other schools and would hate to commit if not required
Plan to enroll. Commit to enroll date is July 7th.

Has any accepted student been able to access their downstate email using their NetID password? Or are we not supposed to have access yet

If I plan to enroll at another school, does that mean that I will be taken off their alternative list automatically?

If I plan to enroll at another school, does that mean that I will be taken off their alternative list automatically?
8E3FD3F9-A390-4A63-B463-C31F2EF53C3D.jpeg

Hope this helps! The language is kind of weird lol

thank you for updating us! really appreciate it, it helps the morale. good luck on your endeavors!

I didn't think of it that way when I posted, but I'm glad I could help out a bit! If it matters I know another person withdrawing from Downstate and many withdrawing from other schools (that you might be on the waitlist for as well). Seriously hope you guys get blessed!

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 9 users
I didn't think of it that way when I posted but no problem! If it matters I know another person withdrawing from Downstate and many withdrawing from other schools (that you might be on the waitlist for as well). Seriously hope you guys get blessed!
I've been having a very tough few days. Your second post made me feel even better. Thank you for bringing up my hopes about Downstate and even more about the other schools. The game begins soon. Thank You, hope you are blessed on your journey too:)

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
oh, surprisingly I was able to get through to the admissions office and spoke with someone on waitlist movement. It could be common knowledge but for those who might not know;

They said since there's really no rank system, they can never really provide us with the odds of us getting off. The ADCOM reviews all alternates once again and sees whose the best fit for the seat. They do this periodically so even if you will get the seat, who knows it if's soon or in a few weeks.

so who really knows, what's going to happen after 4/30. I pray to hear soon.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I just withdrew my acceptance. I hope my spot goes to one of you. Good luck everyone! It has been a hell of a cycle! Hang in there!

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
I just withdrew my acceptance. I hope my spot goes to one of you. Good luck everyone! It has been a hell of a cycle! Hang in there!
some of the best posts for a neurotic person who needs uplifting. Thank you so much for updating us. good luck wherever you go:)

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Guys Iā€™m freaking out!!!!!! Please help. I selected ā€œPlan to Enrollā€ at downstate in February. I just checked, and it remains my selection. I withdrew all my other acceptances. Just checked, and I still have downstate selected at ā€œPlan to Enroll.ā€ They just emailed me that I donā€™t have anything selected, and that my acceptance would be rescinded if I donā€™t select ā€œPlan to Enrollā€ or ā€œCommit to Enrollā€ by the end of the day tomorrow. But I have had ā€œPlan To Enrollā€ selected for months!!!! What do I do????

Guys Iā€™m freaking out!!!!!! Please help. I selected ā€œPlan to Enrollā€ at downstate in February. I just checked, and it remains my selection. I withdrew all my other acceptances. Just checked, and I still have downstate selected at ā€œPlan to Enroll.ā€ They just emailed me that I donā€™t have anything selected, and that my acceptance would be rescinded if I donā€™t select ā€œPlan to Enrollā€ or ā€œCommit to Enrollā€ by the end of the day tomorrow. But I have had ā€œPlan To Enrollā€ selected for months!!!! What do I do????
Got the same email. I've been through three cycles of application and I think downstate is just a mess in terms of communication. They probably sent us this email because we didn't select "commit to enroll" yet. Someone needs to program these emails better.

Anyways, I think it is a good idea to reach out to them tomorrow to make sure.

Got the same email. I've been through three cycles of application and I think downstate is just a mess in terms of communication. They probably sent us this email because we didn't select "commit to enroll" yet. Someone needs to program these emails better.

Anyways, I think it is a good idea to reach out to them tomorrow to make sure.
Have you selected ā€œplan to enrollā€ or ā€œcommit to enrollā€ for downstate?

Why would the email us that we havenā€™t selected PTE yet then??? The anxiety is out of control
I got the same email too and selected PTE. I think they just messed up cause they can't even see which applicants have selected PTE at their school until 4/30

I got the same email too and selected PTE. I think they just messed up cause they can't even see which applicants have selected PTE at their school until 4/30
I bet they'll send out an apology email tomorrow morning. Sounds like they were just doing a test run of the mass email but somehow they launched a live version.

Same situation with this plan to enroll thing. Selected it a while ago and still for the email. Thanks for the anxiety

For people on alt list, do y'all have this pre-matric tab?

Do accepted students usually give permission for "model release" ?