2020-2021 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Last year, they had a post-II R wave on April 16th. I hope there is some sort of news todayyyy

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Downstate be like
55y6l6.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I interviewed in Oct as well and nothing so far...
I hope they send out R, WL soon. At this point, I don’t care if I’m rejected, I just want to know where I stand.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
but dont you guys have an honors deans letter if you get 90+ in every unit? doesnt this count as internal ranking in a way?

also, realistically, doesnt the student interview really mean anything compared to faculty interview? can u give a ratio like 50/50 or 90/10?
You get something called "Distinctions in Foundations" if you get 90+ on every unit. Nobody outside of Downstate even knows what that means and I really don't think it has any effect on your odds of matching. None of my friends who applied for competitive specialties like surgical subs cared about it at all.

I have no idea what the student interview is worth, but having done a few, I have to guess it's much closer to 90/10 than 50/50.

Reactions: 2 users
So classes for M1s start in the first week of August but Downstate's dorm rates are listed by semester with the Fall semester starting in September. How does that work? Will we have to find our own place to live for the month of August if we want to dorm, or does Downstate charge dorm rates differently for M1s?

Last edited:
Hey yall, just lost my access to MSAR. was wondering if anyone knew how many OOS students usually get interviewed and/or accepted?

Yeah, imma need them to tell us something. Been waiting since October, and this is the last school.

Reactions: 14 users
Anyone else think we're not gonna hear something until after April 30th when Downstate and other schools can start seeing which applicants specifically are PTE or CTE on the AAMC choose your medical school tool?

• Sad
Anyone else think we're not gonna hear something until after April 30th when Downstate and other schools can start seeing which applicants specifically are PTE or CTE on the AAMC choose your medical school tool?
does this hurt students? if you PTE at another school (because you have to) while waiting for SUNY DS's decsion

y'all.... ain't it wild we dead have not heard anything

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know why they gave out that random alternate list earlier in the thread? Is there movement happening that's just not being reported?
I believe that user was an MD-PhD applicant
Yeah, I think it was just MD-PhD applicants (I was the one who reported it). My friend who's also applying MD-PhD also got the email, but it seems like the MD side of things is staying mute.

Fwiw, I got a second waitlist email today that was MD-PhD-specific, instead of general waitlist stuff like in my screenshot previously.

how many people have gotten an A? if you have could you please state whether you're IS or OOS. I feel like I only saw maybe 5 or 6 people say they got an A

how many people have gotten an A? if you have could you please state whether you're IS or OOS. I feel like I only saw maybe 5 or 6 people say they got an A
In state as well, but I got my A like two months ago now. Maybe in the first round. Interviewed in November

So I’ve been accepted but am struggling with comprehending the impending student loans. It appears that while the tuition is lower for in-state students, the cost of living in NYC still makes the yearly Loan amount ~$77K based on the estimate from SUNY.

my question is, how do they boast average debt in the low $200Ks for students when their own system lists that a 4 year MD there would amass around $350K in debt? Am I missing something here? This goes along with the average MD debt for the country not being near $350K. Is it just because it’s NYC and expensive to live?

I got it and I’m IS. I went back and counted awhile ago and there were around 25 of us with an A.

So I’ve been accepted but am struggling with comprehending the impending student loans. It appears that while the tuition is lower for in-state students, the cost of living in NYC still makes the yearly Loan amount ~$77K based on the estimate from SUNY.

my question is, how do they boast average debt in the low $200Ks for students when their own system lists that a 4 year MD there would amass around $350K in debt? Am I missing something here? This goes along with the average MD debt for the country not being near $350K. Is it just because it’s NYC and expensive to live?

Many med students across the nation have parents who can completely or partially foot the bill. This reduces the average debt. It’s very much misleading for lower income applicants.

ETA: Also some people might not take out the full amount of loans or any loans estimated for COL, especially since it’s a state school.

Last edited:
Has there been any acceptances/decisions given besides that initial round in the winter?? Shocked by the radio silence

I'm IS that received A in Feb. as well, usually don't post but seems that y'all want an estimate haha

• Care
so last year there was a post-II R wave on april 16th, then the first few A's of the spring started trickling around april 24th. do you guys have an assumptions about whats the diff this year?

so last year there was a post-II R wave on april 16th, then the first few A's of the spring started trickling around april 24th. do you guys have an assumptions about whats the diff this year?
i'm just bored and want to have a convo^ my neurotic self is just dying in wait

Reactions: 3 users
I honestly feel like they're waiting till the 30th 😪
but why wait till the 30th you know:( i really dont get it. ive gone back to last years thread (many times) they had A's sent out not he 24th and 29th then the next set didnt even hit till May 7th which was after the first batch of AL's on may 6th. waiting till april 30th makes it easier fro them to sort through people? lol @ DS, talk about your feelings. we are here for you

Glad I have better options but Downstate is my in-state school so I want to see the cost before I actually withdraw but dragging it out gives me a poor impression of the school and makes me want to do so sooner...

Thank you guys :) DS is my top choice and I am losing sleep over this decision. So far I'm WL everywhere else and I'm literally praying every second we just hear back. It's killing me 😭😭😭😭😭😭

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Just got the email for alternative list. The email was very vague (just an update to the portal).

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Just got... alternate list'd? Is that just HPWL or Downstate's version of the regular waitlist? No idea how to even process this tbh.

• Care
Placed on the alternate list. Second year in row. This process is always so tough. Hope everyone is keeping their heads up

• Care
Alternate List as well, interviewed January.

• Care
Also just got the alternate list. Thankful, but I wish I just knew something final.

• Care
Just got... alternate list'd? Is that just HPWL or Downstate's version of the regular waitlist? No idea how to even process this tbh.
Me too! I got placed on the "alternative list". Interviewed 1/16 IS. IDK I'm just guessing it means regular waitlisted?

Me too! I got placed on the "alternative list". Interviewed 1/16 IS. IDK I'm just guessing it means regular waitlisted?
It's the regular waitlist, there is no HPWL for Downstate. I was placed on the alternate list last year and did not receive my R until June.

Just placed on the alternate list!
interviewed in Oct. Waitlisted basically everywhere els as well! hopefully one turns into an A 😊🙏🏻

• Care
lol waitlisted, probably not enough people withdrew yet since their acceptance wave a few months ago.

edit: interviewed in January

Alternate! Interviewed in October, was gonna withdraw next week if I didn't hear anything. Will not be placing myself on this list seeing as I don't have another 50 years. Good luck everyone!!

Also Alternate List. Interviewed early December, IS Brooklyn :shrug:

WL as well. interviewed in February

+13 for the A List! Was so exciting to finally hear back though.

alternate! interviewed in early january. anyone else have a heart attack when they saw that email?

Alternate list 😓 interviewed in October

:oops: Finally some news! No email here, hopefully not a bad thing but we'll see. Good luck everyone.
since they just sent out a MASS alt list.. i would take it as good news. does downstate even do post-II rejection?

Alternate list as well, interviewed in october. Seems like a lot ppl are going to be on this list. Good luck everyone!

No email. Hopefully it means something good but don't know. Guess we'll find out