You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 UC Davis
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
R
Removed 982794
I think all we can do is just wait
are you another IS still waiting? 🙁
I'm still waitingare you another IS still waiting? 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Likewise!I'm still waiting
benignradical
Full Member
Anyone have an idea of when II's will start rolling out?
Will be tough for OOS. Last year only 1 OOS was accepted
If you are referring to MSAR, I believe that shows the class of 2023's profile, so not last year's (class of 2024). There are multiple OOS students in the class of 2024.
Does anyone know how intense their screening process is?
Does anyone know how intense their screening process is?
In the 2019-2020 cycle, ~7,000 primary applications were received and ~3,000 secondaries were given and then of those ~3,000 secondaries, ~500 interview invitations were sent and then ~120 Accepted and ~100 people wait-listed.
So I am just learning about the SJT. Thank god, because today is the very last day to register. However, it says that test scores will not be released until October 14th.
A few questions...
1) Have people already taken this test? Will their scores be released earlier than the 10/14 date?
2) Will our app at all be reviewed before this test comes in? Or will our entire app be marked incomplete?
A few questions...
1) Have people already taken this test? Will their scores be released earlier than the 10/14 date?
2) Will our app at all be reviewed before this test comes in? Or will our entire app be marked incomplete?
no, all the test dates are in september and all the scores are released the same day. also doubt we will be considered incomplete until then considering this is a pilot exam that they may or may not use in their evaluation of our apps (depending on how useful they find it to be i guess?)So I am just learning about the SJT. Thank god, because today is the very last day to register. However, it says that test scores will not be released until October 14th.
A few questions...
1) Have people already taken this test? Will their scores be released earlier than the 10/14 date?
2) Will our app at all be reviewed before this test comes in? Or will our entire app be marked incomplete?
stopbiting
Full Member
.In the 2019-2020 cycle, ~7,000 primary applications were received and ~3,000 secondaries were given and then of those ~3,000 secondaries, ~500 interview invitations were sent and then ~120 Accepted and ~100 people wait-listed.
Last edited:
How do you find these numbers? I have found everything except for how many secondaries schools send out
I'm a current student. If you receive an Interview Invitation, these numbers will appear in your portal.
loveangel2206
Full Member
Secondary Received Today! Super excited because this is my top choice!
IS with strong ties to CA
(my app was verified this morning)
IS with strong ties to CA
(my app was verified this morning)
loveangel2206
Full Member
Could anyone tell me how they entered advanced placement credits for the supplemental to meet the pre-reqs? Specifically when they ask for date completed and grade.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
R
Removed 982794
I am feeling worriedShould I be concerned if I haven’t gotten a secondary? I’ve gotten every UC except Davis (and Riverside but theyre having technical difficulties) but I felt that my app was most closely aligned with Davis?
I have not yet taken the SJT and my application was marked complete. I imagine completed applications will be reviewed without it, unless they plan to wait until October to send out IIs.So I am just learning about the SJT. Thank god, because today is the very last day to register. However, it says that test scores will not be released until October 14th.
A few questions...
1) Have people already taken this test? Will their scores be released earlier than the 10/14 date?
2) Will our app at all be reviewed before this test comes in? Or will our entire app be marked incomplete?
I think a lot of folks are still waiting on a secondary. UCD is one of only a few schools I have not received a secondary from. They are clearly pushing a bunch of qualified candidates out later in the cycle for some reason. For reference, I'm IS, 3.9/513, ORM, from So Cal.
Should I be concerned if I haven’t gotten a secondary? I’ve gotten every UC except Davis (and Riverside but theyre having technical difficulties) but I felt that my app was most closely aligned with Davis?
It can take months to receive a secondary as they manually screen every primary that doesn't automatically pass their initial screen.
Does UC Davis only take into account the three activities in the secondary?I'm a current second-year student at Davis and can tell you that there are PLENTY of SoCal folks in our class, so much so that it's a running joke that half our class either went to UCB or UCLA undergrad. You're at no disadvantage, and in fact coming from CA should give you the advantage over out of state applicants 🙂
EDIT: Also, I'm just learning about this SJT thing that they're asking you all to do this year--very sorry that this extra testing is a thing :/ I remember taking CASPER and wondering even how accurate it was at determining my social abilities. Even MMI's are not perfect but I'm curious to see how this SJT thing goes. I wish I could give any advice on it, but unfortunately I know even less than the next person about it. All my sympathy to y'all for being the first test group!
Yes. You're not limited to your most meaningful -- they can be anything, even if they're not listed on your AMCAS app. You have 500 characters to talk about each of them.Does UC Davis only take into account the three activities in the secondary?
Does anyone know if not applying to one of the pathways will negatively affect my chances? Also, should I focus more on service or research in the activities sections? Thank you!
benignradical
Full Member
Apply to a program you're genuinely interested in, or it's going to show in your potential interview. Otherwise it's fine not to apply to any. Personally did my MME's as the 3 activities since, well, they are my 3 most memorable activities. Up to you if you want to be tactful with what activities you use, but to me it'd be a bit odd if someone didn't use their MME's. Like, why would you have chosen them as MME's in the first place?Does anyone know if not applying to one of the pathways will negatively affect my chances? Also, should I focus more on service or research in the activities sections? Thank you!
Apply to a program you're genuinely interested in, or it's going to show in your potential interview. Otherwise it's fine not to apply to any. Personally did my MME's as the 3 activities since, well, they are my 3 most memorable activities. Up to you if you want to be tactful with what activities you use, but to me it'd be a bit odd if someone didn't use their MME's. Like, why would you have chosen them as MME's in the first place?
yeah I agree, others have mentioned too that applying or not applying to the sub-programs doesn’t impact your chances
benignradical
Full Member
If it's optional then it's not necessary lol. UCD's statement on the SJT is that they will use it if they feel it helps, so nothing is known for certain about the benefits of taking it over skipping it.I know SJT exam is optional but is it necessary? Will it look bad if I don't take it? I'm a bit overwhelmed with classes and apps...
Apply to a program you're genuinely interested in, or it's going to show in your potential interview. Otherwise it's fine not to apply to any. Personally did my MME's as the 3 activities since, well, they are my 3 most memorable activities. Up to you if you want to be tactful with what activities you use, but to me it'd be a bit odd if someone didn't use their MME's. Like, why would you have chosen them as MME's in the first place?
It won't come up in the interview (MMI format) for acceptance, unless you bring it up. There is a whole separate interview for the special tracks. First you have to get accepted, then you interview for the tracks.
D
deleted1058832
Should we still take the SJT if we haven't yet received a secondary invite from UCD?
I'm not going to.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah I just put DOI or PMID, whichever was shorteryou guys only put DOI's for "publication links" right? posting entire links would take up so much space
Ya I am wondering the same thing. I have heard back from all the other UCs (except for Riverside) and am wondering if I should assume Davis is a no for me. Any Advice?Should we still take the SJT if we haven't yet received a secondary invite from UCD?
I doubt the SJT (like the Casper) is going to be a deal-maker or deal-breaker for anyone.Ya I am wondering the same thing. I have heard back from all the other UCs (except for Riverside) and am wondering if I should assume Davis is a no for me. Any Advice?
n=1 but last cycle, it took several weeks for me to get a secondary from Davis after my MCAT score came in. I'm IS with very strong ties to the area and fit the mission well. This cycle I got a secondary the day I was AMCAS verified.
I think they're likely screening for a combination of IS, area ties, and mission fit. Other than that, I think there's such a large component of randomness to every cycle. Considering it's free this year, I'd take the SJT just because they've identified it as a contributing factor to applications. You never know what an admission committee might see (or not see) in your app that you don't consider.
Best of luck to you!
Any instate still waiting for a secondary?
Yes, anyone know what's going on? Starting to get worried.
Yep, still waiting' - IS, verified 6/20, no ties to NoCal
starryfish
Full Member
UC Davis is my dream school and I am trying to keep my cool as I continue to wait for a secondary :/
Hoping it's random and I'll get one soon
I am IS, went to UC Berkeley, volunteer/work experience in non-profits and free clinics in NorCal, 3.8cum and 519, verified 7/15
I e-mailed admissions about never receiving a confirmation e-mail from Davis, and they simply replied that secondaries will continue to be sent out "through January" so... fingers crossed... gl everyone
Hoping it's random and I'll get one soon
I am IS, went to UC Berkeley, volunteer/work experience in non-profits and free clinics in NorCal, 3.8cum and 519, verified 7/15
I e-mailed admissions about never receiving a confirmation e-mail from Davis, and they simply replied that secondaries will continue to be sent out "through January" so... fingers crossed... gl everyone
Last edited:
What does everyone put down for the end date of the experiences that are still ongoing?
I am curious, why is Davis your dream school?UC Davis is my dream school and I am trying to keep my cool as I continue to wait for a secondary :/
Hoping it's random and I'll get one soon
I am IS, went to UC Berkeley, volunteer/work experience in non-profits and free clinics in NorCal, 3.8cum and 519, verified 6/15
I e-mailed admissions about never receiving a confirmation e-mail from Davis, and they simply replied that secondaries will continue to be sent out "through January" so... fingers crossed... gl everyone
If I don't have an actual end date and I plan on doing the thing until I start med school somewhere, I put 6/30/2021.What does everyone put down for the end date of the experiences that are still ongoing?
If it's at school you can put last day of the spring semester, but if you are planning to continue in summer, then you can use 06/30/21 or 05/31/21 (Nothing wrong to say you wanted to have summer break).What does everyone put down for the end date of the experiences that are still ongoing?
agree with the above posts, but if you put end date in the future, will adcoms assume your hours include future hours as well? i already submitted with end date in the future but with hours only up to date...but now I am starting to think...what if they think my hours are NOT to date lolllll
Anyone have any insight as to how someone who is OOS now but grew up and went to university in NorCal might look to Davis pre-secondary?
Can we confirm that these are the secondary questions for this year? It seems like most of us are only gonna answer question 2 and the activities question, right?Supplemental
1. Discuss any elements of your application that you feel might be concerning to the Admissions Committee (This could include explanation of metric trends, institutional actions, legal violations, etc.) Please enter N/A if no concerns to report. (500 characters; spaces count as a character)
2. Do you have a connection to Northern or Central California? If "yes", please explain (500 characters; spaces count as a character).
Activities
Please list the activities you would like to be considered in your application to UC Davis. You may use your activities listed in your initial AMCAS application or select/add others that may be relevant to UC Davis. Please only list three.
a. Briefly describe this activity and its significance. How did it prepare you for a medical career? Include any supporting information (e.g. your contribution to the project or accomplishment as well as links to any publication, etc) (500 characters; spaces count as a character).
Scholarly Pathways
Are you interested in applying to the Rural-PRIME (Rural Program in Medical Education) Program?
If "Yes" :
a. Please describe how your experiences with rural communities make you a good fit for the Rural-PRIME program (500 characters; spaces count as a character).
b. Describe your future plans to serve a rural underserved community (500 characters; spaces count as a character).
Are you interested in applying to the TEACH-MS (Transforming Education and Community Health for Medical Students) Program?
If "Yes": Please tell us what experiences have shaped your desire to be a primary care physician in urban underserved communities (500 characters; spaces count as a character).
Are you interested in applying to the ACE-PC (Accelerated Competency-based Education in Primary Care) Program?
If "Yes": Please tell us what attributes or experiences would make you a good fit for an accelerated program in primary care (500 characters; spaces count as a character).
Are you interested in applying to the REACH (Reimagining Education to Advance central California Health) Program in Medical Education?
If "Yes": Please tell us about your ties to Central California and what you have done, or plan to do, to make a positive change in Central California (500 characters; spaces count as a character).
Are you interested in applying to ARC-MD (Academic Research Careers for Medical Doctors)?
If "Yes": The UC Davis School of Medicine has an honors pathway, Academic Research Careers for Medical Doctors (ARC-MD), to encourage the development of the next generation of school of medicine faculty. These faculty will be drawn from diverse backgrounds, many committed to research as a foundational aspect of their career. Tell us about how you could see yourself as a faculty of the future and how biomedical research might play a role in your career development (500 characters; spaces count as a character).
Good luck to everyone applying!
Interview Feedback: University of California - Davis
meeeeeededed
Full Member
Can we confirm that these are the secondary questions for this year? It seems like most of us are only gonna answer question 2 and the activities question, right?
same prompts as last year. only question 2 is mandatory and the rest is optional.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had the same question, I ended up not converting and just leaving it. In the example above I don't think it was converted, the number seemed too high for it to be converted to semester but I could be wrong.Do we need to convert quarter to semester since there's an option to select quarter? Because at the bottom it also says to look at the conversion
agree with the above posts, but if you put end date in the future, will adcoms assume your hours include future hours as well? i already submitted with end date in the future but with hours only up to date...but now I am starting to think...what if they think my hours are NOT to date lolllll
I'm wondering the same thing. I was thinking about putting a future end date and only including the hours up to the present date.
D
deleted987207
Curious, does anyone know if Davis sends our rejection emails? If they don’t invite you for a secondary, do they tell you?