2020-2021 UC Irvine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MSTP secondary received at 2 AM!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you post the prompts by any chance?

Yes! Pulling this from a Reddit post, which is accurate.
  1. What personal accomplishment are you most proud of and why? (1500 characters)
  2. Please describe to the Admissions Committee a challenge or disappointment you have overcome and what you learned about yourself from that experience. (1500 characters)
  3. This essay is only for applicants that have already received their baccalaureate degree. Please clarify for the Admissions Committee your activities (school, work, and/or volunteer, travel, etc.) since receiving your undergraduate degree. You may list them in chronological order or you may incorporate them into an essay, stating why you chose particular activities. If you have just received or will receive your undergraduate degree this year, please discuss your plans for current year. (1500 characters)
  4. What research accomplishment are you most proud of and why? (1500 characters)
  5. Please describe to the Admissions Committee a research challenge you have overcome and what you learned from that experience. (1500 characters)
  6. What does it mean, to you, to be an MD/PhD? (1500 characters)

Reactions: 1 user
Have you participated in service to the Latino/Latinx/Latine community for at least one year?

The locations I've volunteered (hospitals, food banks etc.) are places with a high Latino population (southern Texas), would this satisfy the requirement? I didn't specifically volunteer because of the Latino community, it's just the demographic of the area I so happen to be in.

Same. The clinic I volunteered in is a neighborhood with 90% latino population and almost all our patients were latino, so I feel like it should count. I think I'm going to include it.

Have you participated in service to the Latino/Latinx/Latine community for at least one year?

Do you think this should only be a "yes" if you worked with this population in college? I came from an area that had a large Hispanic population, so I volunteered a lot to support them in high school. But then I moved away for college to a city that has another group predominantly present.

Do you think this should only be a "yes" if you worked with this population in college? I came from an area that had a large Hispanic population, so I volunteered a lot to support them in high school. But then I moved away for college to a city that has another group predominantly present.
I would still list it if it's the only service to the Hispanic community you have. It's still better than nothing.

Secondary receiveed 3.8x, 519, ORM, OOS, submitted primary to them about a week ago

Would scribing in a hospital that serves a predominantly hispanic population be too farfetched for service to the Latino/Latinx/Latine community?

Members don't see this ad :)
Verified 7/25, but yeah I'll wait a little before going nuts

I've been verified 6/9, IS, 3.8/521, and still no secondary, and it's definitely feeling a little nutty up in here. Please, Irvine, I live so close to you! Why u no like me :/

Would scribing in a hospital that serves a predominantly hispanic population be too farfetched for service to the Latino/Latinx/Latine community?
Worried about the same thing. I think I might go with not putting anything because I don't want it to look like I'm making too much of a leap. Hopefully it won't be held against us. I did notice that they changed it to latinx population this year vs underserved from last year according to 2019-2020 thread.

I've been verified 6/9, IS, 3.8/521, and still no secondary, and it's definitely feeling a little nutty up in here. Please, Irvine, I live so close to you! Why u no like me :/

I have literally the exact same stats (IS) and also waiting. I sent in my app 7/14.

For reference, 3.9/513, IS, verified 6/20....no secondary yet. Bettin' on one tonight. :happy:

Secondary received 8/13, verified 6/21 or so, MCAT 507 cGPA 3.4, URM, IS

Too far-fetched for sure. Scribing isn't service considering you got paid. Plus, unless what you did was specifically oriented towards helping Latinos, not just based on area demographics, wouldn't consider it service for the community.

In the course prerequisites section, does anyone know how to properly report the units of courses taken in the quarter system? I.e., should a 1-quarter course taken for 4 units at my university be reported as 4 units, or 2.7 semester units?

In the course prerequisites section, does anyone know how to properly report the units of courses taken in the quarter system? I.e., should a 1-quarter course taken for 4 units at my university be reported as 4 units, or 2.7 semester units?

You specify that the course is quarter on the secondary, so I'd say leave it in quarter units. Adcoms are smart enough to realize what type of units you're putting down.

For the Activities section, are people putting down only their most important/impressive (instructions mention that) or all their AMCAS activities?

Are you guys including lab classes as well in the prerequisites?

For this question:
----
I volunteered as a college application mentor at a nonprofit org for first-generation low-income students. The org wasn't only for the latino community but due to the location MOST of the students we served were latino, and I personally worked 1 on 1 with only latino students the 2 years I participated. Could I say yes for this question?

Does anyone know if a pre-medical fraternity or sorority should go in the school activities section or the community activities section?? I did a lot of community service with both but they are also a school "club" in a way. Thoughts?

Does anyone know if a pre-medical fraternity or sorority should go in the school activities section or the community activities section?? I did a lot of community service with both but they are also a school "club" in a way. Thoughts?

I personally would put this in the school activities section, since it was a student organization.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but say you have an activity that works in two different sections (i.e. clinical research that fits into both research and clinical), have y'all been putting it in both or just choosing one?

For the third prompt that asks you to list your activities since college if you already have a degree, do you need to add hours and dates or just explain your activities ?

For this question:
----
I volunteered as a college application mentor at a nonprofit org for first-generation low-income students. The org wasn't only for the latino community but due to the location MOST of the students we served were latino, and I personally worked 1 on 1 with only latino students the 2 years I participated. Could I say yes for this question?

I have the same question, I cofounded a non-profit to target educational disparities for underserved students in STEM. Due to its location, we have primarily dealt with schools in latino communities, but it isn't latino specific. Wondering if I should put this. Have you made a decision?

I know a bunch of people have had similar questions, but wanted to bump the thread to see if anyone had any insight on the Activities section. Should we be including every AMCAS activity, or just the several that we find the most meaningful?

I know a bunch of people have had similar questions, but wanted to bump the thread to see if anyone had any insight on the Activities section. Should we be including every AMCAS activity, or just the several that we find the most meaningful?
I don't know if this is correct but I put everything except awards/posters and also included the 2 new activities I've started since I submitted my primary

I don't know if this is correct but I put everything except awards/posters and also included the 2 new activities I've started since I submitted my primary
yeah thats what i did. all my main research/volunteering/employment activities without the fluff. though i did add 1 entry for all my poster presentations since i have a few

How do you guys suggest doing the "hours per week" for something like shadowing? My shadowing was pretty spread out across several years, with several month long gaps between each specialty i shadowed.

How do you guys suggest doing the "hours per week" for something like shadowing? My shadowing was pretty spread out across several years, with several month long gaps between each specialty i shadowed.
I had a few activities like that. Basically, with all my hours, I just wanted to made sure it lined up with AMCAS hours. So I just took the hours and divided by weeks

Reactions: 1 users
I had a few activities like that. Basically, with all my hours, I just wanted to made sure it lined up with AMCAS hours. So I just took the hours and divided by weeks
Got it - thanks!

Can I ask you another question, or anyone else if they had something like this? It asks for employment activities, but my research and scribing were both paid jobs and I had already listed them under their appropriate category (research/clinical). I shouldnt list them again under employment history, right?

Got it - thanks!

Can I ask you another question, or anyone else if they had something like this? It asks for employment activities, but my research and scribing were both paid jobs and I had already listed them under their appropriate category (research/clinical). I shouldnt list them again under employment history, right?
I wouldn't think so. If my stuff overlapped, I just put it where I felt it most appropriate. I tried to space stuff out so I could put at elast one thing in each category.

Reactions: 1 users
Got it - thanks!

Hmm possible oops but I listed them again under employment history I think they should be able to tell, if they're looking at the list as a whole, that they're the same activity? They do fall under both categories, after all... (fingers crossed haha)

Hello All,

I made a dumb mistake by simply using the picture size bigger than 2" by 3". I just used the picture that my friend sent me and have uploaded them already. Do you think there will be a negative impact for II consideration with my picture?

Hello All,

I made a dumb mistake by simply using the picture size bigger than 2" by 3". I just used the picture that my friend sent me and have uploaded them already. Do you think there will be a negative impact for II consideration with my picture?

Did it show up normal in the preview? I’ve never really paid consideration to the actual size of the image. As long as it uploads with no errors and looks normally, I doubt there is any real issues.

Did it show up normal in the preview? I’ve never really paid consideration to the actual size of the image. As long as it uploads with no errors and looks normally, I doubt there is any real issues.

Yeah it looked normal on the preview. I am just paranoid because i used the same picture for other schools as well. Thank you for your response!

I have the same question, I cofounded a non-profit to target educational disparities for underserved students in STEM. Due to its location, we have primarily dealt with schools in latino communities, but it isn't latino specific. Wondering if I should put this. Have you made a decision?
Hi sorry for the late response, for some reason I did not get a notification. But I ended up putting YES. The question is so vague/general that I think it should be fine to say that it counts.

For estimating clinical hours, it says to include clinical research positions. If I worked on a clinical research but didn't really have clinical exposure to the patients while doing so, should I still include it in my estimate?
Did you ever get an answer to this question? I'm in the same boat.

Help. Im totally stuck on this personal accomplishment question. A personal accomplishment Im most proud of was already talked about in my personal statement and my activities, so I feel weird repeating it again, but I also feel like I don't really have much else that even comes close to that one. Would it be a bad idea to talk about it again?