2020-2021 UC Irvine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don’t think they’re screening this year.
I was Verified 8/21 and just got my MCAT yesterday, and got my secondary at 2am.

Members don't see this ad.

Help. Im totally stuck on this personal accomplishment question. A personal accomplishment Im most proud of was already talked about in my personal statement and my activities, so I feel weird repeating it again, but I also feel like I don't really have much else that even comes close to that one. Would it be a bad idea to talk about it again?

If I were you, I'd either talk about that same accomplishment and look at it through a different lens or choose a different accomplishment altogether. Don't repeat word for word what you already said in your PS. The secondary is a chance for you highlight your strengths/personality/self-awareness to the school. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone still waiting on a secondary? I was verified end of July. LM 70 IS ORM

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone without an MCAT received a secondary? I am IS. Thanks.

If you put "scholarships" or "sports (in my case, tennis)" as an activity in AMCAS, how are you planning to incorporate that into the secondary's activity section?

Two questions:
1. For activities we are doing but they are on halt due to COVID-19, should we still list them as "to present"?
2. For activities in which we volunteered like once a month (like at a homeless shelter), should we take the hours (like 4 hour service) and divide them by 4 so it reflects hours/week (so I would put 1 hour/week)?

Tbh Idk if this is important logistics they really care about but I don't wanna overshoot how many hours I'm putting...

For the hours thing, did you decide one way or another? I'm on the same boat. Had a position for 2 straight years and when I did work there, I did 40 hours/ week but there was multiple months gap where there was no activity because the org was closed. I don't want to put 40 hours/week and them thinking its for the whole 2 years...

I'm thinking of doing exactly what you suggest: Just taking total # of hours and dividing across # of total weeks ... thoughts. I seriously hate these hours per week questions, I don't think there is a single activity where I actually had consistent hours every week

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 I also emailed them. It seems like many people are having this issue right now. Don't stress if you think you're the only one!

Primary verified 8/31, secondary received 9/1- I wasn't expecting it so soon! URM, IS

does everyone remember the literal start dates for each activity lol...i know roughly the month but not the exact DATE I began...maybe i should've used a journal over the years haha
Heck no, I have too many activities and I'm old lol. I guesstimated the best I could.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Everyone! So I just got an email stating that UCI requested my vita, and I just logged into the portal and it shows that an Interview has been awarded. Have you guys seen this, or do you think it's just about the vita?

• Wow
Hi Everyone! So I just got an email stating that UCI requested my vita, and I just logged into the portal and it shows that an Interview has been awarded. Have you guys seen this, or do you think it's just about the vita?
Not seeing anything on my end. I think you may have gotten an II! Congrats!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Not seeing anything on my end. I think you may have gotten an II! Congrats!

Thank you! I actually just saw an interview day section and was able to see I was assigned September 22nd!!! I think I got to them before they got to me lol Super happy!!

Do they accept application updates? I haven’t seen any place to upload any

Thank you! I actually just saw an interview day section and was able to see I was assigned September 22nd!!! I think I got to them before they got to me lol Super happy!!

When were you complete?

did u guys add decimal points for hours completed in activities section or just round to nearest number?

My first ever interview invite. I am over the moon right now. Complete 8/14, in state, ORM. LET'S GO!

Reactions: 7 users
Just got II today! Complete 8/12, IS, ORM. Good luck everyone :)

I saw the 9/22 date, and now it's unavailable.. I think they are having some glitches they need to fix?

Edit: I just logged in again and 10/06 was available. I think they make single dates available as they fill up.

I think my computer autofilled stuff in and I didn't catch it, but I like put my address in instead of my name on the secondary I submitted. There's numbers in it so it's pretty obvious it's a mistake. What should I do

I think my computer autofilled stuff in and I didn't catch it, but I like put my address in instead of my name on the secondary I submitted. There's numbers in it so it's pretty obvious it's a mistake. What should I do
None of us would be able to fix it for you. Contact UCI and see if they can help.

So just because I didn’t do it for a year, I can’t include my volunteering time in Mexico for the service for Latino community question? :blackeye: So frustrating lol

So just because I didn’t do it for a year, I can’t include my volunteering time in Mexico for the service for Latino community question? :blackeye: So frustrating lol
Seems like they're looking for prolonged involvement with Latino communities ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. However, they will be looking at all of our activities on the primary so they'll see that you did volunteer in Mexico for a period of time regardless.

I'm working on this app rn and I'm just wondering why they participate in AMCAS if I just need to re-enter my entire app.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
For those that received an interview, did any of you all apply to the prime program?

just submitted. got my "complete" email. now, we wait.

Do you think personal accomplishment = non-academic or an accomplishment achieved by yourself? I wanted to mention my marching band winning the Sweepstakes award at a competition, but that's a group effort? Not sure if it counts for "personal" accomplishment?

Hey guys, current student here willing to answer any questions yall may have. Current student input was a big deciding factor for me so I definitely want to try and pay that forward.

• Love
Do you think personal accomplishment = non-academic or an accomplishment achieved by yourself? I wanted to mention my marching band winning the Sweepstakes award at a competition, but that's a group effort? Not sure if it counts for "personal" accomplishment?

For what it's worth, I chose to go with an academic achievement that I was very proud of. This question is vague by design- they want to get to know you. Answer it however you see fit, don't overthink it.

Last edited:
Hey guys, current student here willing to answer any questions yall may have. Current student input was a big deciding factor for me so I definitely want to try and pay that forward.
Thanks so much, very kind of you! How would you describe the school's culture? What kind of input did you receive that solidified your decision to attend UCI?

Thanks so much, very kind of you! How would you describe the school's culture? What kind of input did you receive that solidified your decision to attend UCI?

I’d describe the culture as chill and collaborative. Everyone’s super down to earth and we all really make an effort to help each other. This even goes cross-class with the upper years checking in with us and helping guide our studies. The class size of 100 is perfect in my opinion, it’s big enough to meet a lot of people but intimate enough to become close

biggest factors for me which led me to choose UCI
-cost
-vibe (really liked the students I met on interview day)
-support of faculty (every faculty member I’ve met is super young and passionate about helping students reach their goals)

I'm doing something like this. Cofounding an organization. Its a personal accomplishment in my opinion but its a vague question for a reason!

Is anybody still waiting for a secondary?? I was verified on 7/24, IS, LizzyM ~74... I'm getting worried and not sure if they're just behind since everybody else seems to be getting interviews already

Last edited: