2020-2021 UC Irvine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of California - Irvine

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of things have people put for the "personal accomplishment" one? I have a serious more "academic" option and then also a not serious accomplishment from one of my hobbies (has to do with music), and I'm wondering how people are interpreting the prompt

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of things have people put for the "personal accomplishment" one? I have a serious more "academic" option and then also a not serious accomplishment from one of my hobbies (has to do with music), and I'm wondering how people are interpreting the prompt
I put down a research-related accomplishment just because I had nowhere else on this secondary to talk about my research, and because I'd already talked about my "hobby accomplishment" (a marathon) on my primary. That said, a more unique accomplishment such as music would definitely be memorable!

Reactions: 1 user
I put down a research-related accomplishment just because I had nowhere else on this secondary to talk about my research, and because I'd already talked about my "hobby accomplishment" (a marathon) on my primary. That said, a more unique accomplishment such as music would definitely be memorable!

I am so jealous. My personal/hobby accomplishments were going to be running 12 races in 1 year, running my first half marathon and running my first full marathon in Chicago.
And Corona decided it just wasn't the year for any of that :/

I am so jealous. My personal/hobby accomplishments were going to be running 12 races in 1 year, running my first half marathon and running my first full marathon in Chicago.
And Corona decided it just wasn't the year for any of that :/
Oh no! I'm sorry. I had a half marathon cancelled and it's just always such a bummer when you can't run a race you trained for. Hopefully we can get back out there soon!

any current students available to answer questions?

I'm an MS2, please ask away

Hey thank you so much!

1. Can you expound a bit on the preclinical curriculum? What is the typical weekly schedule like? What is the division between PBL & lecture? How many mandatory sessions / hours are there per week?

2. Any thoughts on the facilities for the school (preclinical) or affiliated hospitals?

3. Is there a competitive nature around research? Do more students do clinical research or basic science?

4. Are there a lot of OOS students in your class?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thank you so much!

1. Can you expound a bit on the preclinical curriculum? What is the typical weekly schedule like? What is the division between PBL & lecture? How many mandatory sessions / hours are there per week?

2. Any thoughts on the facilities for the school (preclinical) or affiliated hospitals?

3. Is there a competitive nature around research? Do more students do clinical research or basic science?

4. Are there a lot of OOS students in your class?

1. Usually 2 hours of "clinical foundations" once a week, which is our introductory clinical course w/ standardized patients (mandatory). Usually 2 hours of ultrasound class and simulation lab once a week (mandatory). About 2/3 through MS1, you will go to a real clinic for half a day instead of "clinical foundations" so it's great that we get early clinical experience. As for lectures, I think it's around ~10 hours a week most of which are optional attendance so you can stay at home and watch 2x speed if you want. Usually we have one lecture every 1-2 weeks that's mandatory because a patient shows up to talk about their condition along with an attending. There is also Anatomy for the first 1/2-2/3 of MS1 but since there will be fewer dissections this year due to coronavirus, I don't know what the schedule will look like. Team based learning occurs maybe once a week for about 1.5 hours where you work with a group on a case (mandatory). I honestly feel like there's a good balance between mandatory and non-mandatory activities at UCI. Some weekdays are just 1 hour mandatory so you have the rest of the day to do whatever you want.
2. Our medical education facilities on campus are great, lots of study space on multiple floors just for medical students. Lots of libraries on the undergrad campus. I've been to our medical center and the facilities are nice, very new. I believe we are also getting a new anatomy lab in 1-2 years.
3. For students in the MD program, most do clinical research. MD/PhD students are doing basic science research of course. In terms of competitiveness, do you mean is it hard to get research opportunities due to lots of interest? My experience is faculty here want more medical students involved in their research so they can publish more and get promoted. I am heavily involved in research (surgical subspecialty) and I have more clinical research opportunities available to me than I have time for at this point. I also do basic research but at a different institution and with a former mentor since it's now the summer between MS1 and MS2.
4. Yes there's a surprising number of out of state students. I wouldn't discourage any out of state students from applying. If you are genuinely interested in our school and let us know why, that will only help you.

Reactions: 2 users
Received a ‘application received’ email this morning.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
do you mean a secondary from UCI?
Sorry, it was a poorly written sentence on my part. I meant to say I received an email from UCI admissions indicating that they have received my primary application and after a thorough and ‘holistic’ review they may or may not send a secondary application.

can you please post the prompts?
1. What personal accomplishment are you most proud of and why? (1500 char)
2. Please describe to the Admissions Committee a challenge you have overcome and what you learned about yourself from that experience. (1500 char)
3. Do you have a baccalaureate degree? (Y/N) This essay is only for applicants that have already received their baccalaureate degree. Please clarify for the Admissions Committee your activities (school, work, and/or volunteer, travel, etc.) since receiving your undergraduate degree. You may list them in chronological order or you may incorporate them into an essay, stating why you chose particular activities. (1500 char)

2. Please describe to the Admissions Committee a challenge you have overcome and what you learned about yourself from that experience. (1500 char)
3. Do you have a baccalaureate degree? (Y/N) This essay is only for applicants that have already received their baccalaureate degree. Please clarify for the Admissions Committee your activities (school, work, and/or volunteer, travel, etc.) since receiving your undergraduate degree. You may list them in chronological order or you may incorporate them into an essay, stating why you chose particular activities. (1500 char)
Is there any prime program associated questions?

Any MSTP applicants receive a secondary? If those questions are available on the MD app, could somebody please post those too?

When were you complete?

7/19. I moved to California a few months ago and listed my preferred address as California, although my permanent address is out of state and my legal residence is also out of state. So I don't know if that helped.

7/19. I moved to California a few months ago and listed my preferred address as California, although my permanent address is out of state and my legal residence is also out of state. So I don't know if that helped.
Thank you for the info!! I was verified a few days later so hopefully I hear something soon! This is my first choice. :nailbiting:

Has anyone not even received an "application received" email yet? I'm IS and was verified in June and haven't even gotten that email yet

Reactions: 6 users
same IS. I think the vast majority have not yet received secondaries from here.

Any brave souls willing to contact admissions and find out?

I asked and they said that they are a bit delayed this application season and not everyone will be invited to complete the secondary (So they’re screening)

I asked and they said that they are a bit delayed this application season and not everyone will be invited to complete the secondary (So they’re screening)
Delayed as in they're still screening for secondaries? I still haven't received a secondary or application received email :/ instate

Last edited: