2020-2021 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has UCLA sent most of its interview invites out? I submitted this one as soon as I got it, and it seems like they just skipped right over my application and are already starting interviews. Losing hope for my dream school 🙁
 
Has UCLA sent most of its interview invites out? I submitted this one as soon as I got it, and it seems like they just skipped right over my application and are already starting interviews. Losing hope for my dream school 🙁

I was transmitted 10 July, and they had already begun sending out interview invitations by the time I received a secondary on 11 August. I suspect reviewers move at different paces. I wouldn’t give up hope just yet!
 
For the question asking if there is a gap between now and your matriculation to medical school, what should we put? I've seen this question for other schools as well, and I'm not really sure how to answer it.

I just finished a post bac program and am currently in my application cycle. I don't have a job planned, volunteering options have been curbed, am not taking anymore classes, and I'm basically dedicating my time to finishing my applications to med schools and preparing for interviews. I'm also planning on spending more time on my hobbies ie playing music (lol I was a music major in undergrad so music is actually more than a hobby to me).

I guess I just don't want to sound like I'm doing nothing, but at the same time, I'm actually taking this year rather lax.

What are my fellow gap year applicants and non-traditional students doing for this question?
 
Last edited:
For the question asking if there is a gap between now and your matriculation to medical school, what should we put? I've seen this question for other schools as well, and I'm not really sure how to answer it.

I would just say that! I talked about my job in that

I just finished a post bac program and am currently in my application cycle. I don't have a job planned, volunteering options have been curbed, am not taking anymore classes, and I'm basically dedicating my time to finishing my applications to med schools and preparing for interviews. I'm also planning on spending more time on my hobbies ie playing music (lol I was a music major in undergrad so music is actually more than a hobby to me).

I guess I just don't want to sound like I'm doing nothing, but at the same time, I'm actually taking this year rather lax.

What are my fellow gap year applicants and non-traditional students doing for this question?
 
For the question asking if there is a gap between now and your matriculation to medical school, what should we put? I've seen this question for other schools as well, and I'm not really sure how to answer it.

I just finished a post bac program and am currently in my application cycle. I don't have a job planned, volunteering options have been curbed, am not taking anymore classes, and I'm basically dedicating my time to finishing my applications to med schools and preparing for interviews. I'm also planning on spending more time on my hobbies ie playing music (lol I was a music major in undergrad so music is actually more than a hobby to me).

I guess I just don't want to sound like I'm doing nothing, but at the same time, I'm actually taking this year rather lax.

What are my fellow gap year applicants and non-traditional students doing for this question?

I talked about how I’m working in food/bev industry, supporting my family, and picking up new hobbies (guitar and skateboarding). I think just being honest is fine esp. if your app is already pretty solid. Having time to explore your interests is important and makes you seem more human!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Won't disclose specifics because we can't, but I will say this: it was stressful, no lie.

Before the interview: super chill, everyone was pretty quiet and listening. they didn't ask us to say anything, besides a simple mic check. and the city we were from.

During the interview: i had crazy questions thrown at me and it was NOT conversational like i was hoping... way more structured and they had a rubric. friend had the same experience.
 
Won't disclose specifics because we can't, but I will say this: it was stressful, no lie.

Before the interview: super chill, everyone was pretty quiet and listening. they didn't ask us to say anything, besides a simple mic check. and the city we were from.

During the interview: i had crazy questions thrown at me and it was NOT conversational like i was hoping... way more structured and they had a rubric. friend had the same experience.
Obviously please don't answer this if you do not feel comfortable, but were the crazy questions MMI type? Just asking to see if I should be prepping for both traditional and MMI. Thanks so much. 🙂
 
I guess it varies from person to person, of course, but mine were very friendly and conversational. Still got typical questions one should expect from medical school interviews though, but they were woven into the conversation and never felt I was being bombarded.
 
I’m just curious to know if the interview day lasted the whole time they outlined in the guide. 8:30am-4pm seems like a lot for a virtual interview lol
 
I guess it varies from person to person, of course, but mine were very friendly and conversational. Still got typical questions one should expect from medical school interviews though, but they were woven into the conversation and never felt I was being bombarded.
wow that's weird! my interviewer had a list of questions and a rubric. never followed up w/ my answers! it was very structured and i got some weird questions.

whenever i tried to crack a joke / smile it wouldn't work lol

edit: oh well if i don't get in, my stats were pretty low to begin with. I'm a non-trad so they prob gave me a look despite my stats
 
It did. Prepare to be sitting down for a while. Make sure to use every break they give you!

wow that's weird! my interviewer had a list of questions and a rubric. never followed up w/ my answers! it was very structured and i got some weird questions.

whenever i tried to crack a joke / smile it wouldn't work lol

edit: oh well if i don't get in, my stats were pretty low to begin with. I'm a non-trad so they prob gave me a look despite my stats


What helped you guys prep the most? Did you feel like the SDN interview feedback was a good or accurate resource despite all the changes this year?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the question asking if there is a gap between now and your matriculation to medical school, what should we put? I've seen this question for other schools as well, and I'm not really sure how to answer it.

I just finished a post bac program and am currently in my application cycle. I don't have a job planned, volunteering options have been curbed, am not taking anymore classes, and I'm basically dedicating my time to finishing my applications to med schools and preparing for interviews. I'm also planning on spending more time on my hobbies ie playing music (lol I was a music major in undergrad so music is actually more than a hobby to me).

I guess I just don't want to sound like I'm doing nothing, but at the same time, I'm actually taking this year rather lax.

What are my fellow gap year applicants and non-traditional students doing for this question?
I literally said I spent my time applying and became a personal trainer lol
 
wow that's weird! my interviewer had a list of questions and a rubric. never followed up w/ my answers! it was very structured and i got some weird questions.

whenever i tried to crack a joke / smile it wouldn't work lol

edit: oh well if i don't get in, my stats were pretty low to begin with. I'm a non-trad so they prob gave me a look despite my stats
If it helps, last year this is exactly how one of my interviews went! It felt like the interviewer didn't care about anything I said lol I was super nervous but he acted the same with the person who went after me. I was thinking it was a stress interview? Idk but I didn't feel good coming out of it. I also had lower stats and everything ended up okay! We are much harsher judges of our own interview performances!
 
Some of my secondary responses got cut off bc of character limit (I did not include spaces in my own count but the app did), how effed am I? LOL
 
How long is it taking them to respond to people for interviews after they submit the secondaries? I submitted mine on 8/1 and am now kinda worried. I see some people who submitted after me getting their interviews already, does it mean that I am in the "on hold" pile? Thanks!
 
How long is it taking them to respond to people for interviews after they submit the secondaries? I submitted mine on 8/1 and am now kinda worried. I see some people who submitted after me getting their interviews already, does it mean that I am in the "on hold" pile? Thanks!

I don't think anyone knows, but I wouldn't begin worrying yet. It's still very early in the cycle.
 
How long is it taking them to respond to people for interviews after they submit the secondaries? I submitted mine on 8/1 and am now kinda worried. I see some people who submitted after me getting their interviews already, does it mean that I am in the "on hold" pile? Thanks!
Last year it took them a little over a month to send me an II. I definitely wouldn't worry yet. I'm assuming with Covid it might take a bit longer since they're not meeting in person. Hang in there!!

Additionally, the don't review applications linearly in the order that they come in. There are a lot of different things that affect when your app gets read. I know me last year wouldn't have believed this, BUT if someone gets an II or an acceptance before you even though they submitted things after you, it really doesn't mean much. Hard concept to believe but it's true I promise!
 
For question #8, how much effort did you all put into it? 4000 characters is a ton when you've had 4 different jobs. Is it okay to copy from your primary?
 
For question #8, how much effort did you all put into it? 4000 characters is a ton when you've had 4 different jobs. Is it okay to copy from your primary?
I pulled short 1-2 sentence descriptions from my resume, which was probably similar to what I had in the primary. You can use your best judgment but I think adcoms love to see short and concise wherever possible 🙂
 
Has anyone uploaded more activities in the Document Upload tab. I wanted to add a new activity I started but I'm not sure what format to submit it in.
 
For question #8, how much effort did you all put into it? 4000 characters is a ton when you've had 4 different jobs. Is it okay to copy from your primary?

I did not use even close to 4,000 characters but I was advised to expand on the jobs more than just what's on your primary. If they wanted it to be short and concise they wouldn't have allotted such a large character count. You don't have to overkill but try to connect whatever skills you learned in your jobs to how they can be applied in medicine (even if they're non-clinical experiences )
 
Hi Friends. MS1 at UCLA (regular MD program) reporting in.

Happy to answer most questions about the school/LA when I get the chance/remember to go on this website.

Feel free to DM me, too.
Thanks for helping out with your input!

During last year's cycle, did they start sending acceptances after Oct 15?
 
During last year's cycle, did they start sending acceptances after Oct 15?
I believe last year the first acceptances went out on Oct 15, but this year could be different due to the pandemic. Try not to worry too much if yours doesn't come right away. Mine came at the very end of October even though I was one of the first interview days and others waited much longer. I know it's hard to be patient, but trying to predict when your decision will come will drive you crazy. It drove me (and many others) crazy last year... just look at last year's thread.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I believe last year the first acceptances went out on Oct 15, but this year could be different due to the pandemic. Try not to worry too much if yours doesn't come right away. Mine came at the very end of October even though I was one of the first interview days and others waited much longer. I know it's hard to be patient, but trying to predict when your decision will come will drive you crazy. It drove me (and many others) crazy last year... just look at last year's thread.
Thank you for the insight! I'll keep myself busy and try to let time pass.
 
Did anyone write about a subspecialty (academic oncology) for the question that asks for plans postgraduate education? I should have just written internal medicine but I just realized I might have come off so naive by stating that. Am I screwed?
 
Did anyone write about a subspecialty (academic oncology) for the question that asks for plans postgraduate education? I should have just written internal medicine but I just realized I might have come off so naive by stating that. Am I screwed?
I just said I was interested in becoming an academic physician, specifically a physician scientist due to XYZ reasons based on ABC experiences.
 
Asking those who have already interviewed (if this is unclassified information). Did you have just two traditional interviews? Or was there some MMI action as well?