2020-2021 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNECOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone, quick question about the Welcome Session prior to your interview day...For those who have already attended a Welcome Session, do people ask questions at the end of the session? I know they mentioned to have your camera on the whole time with your audio off until later in the session for questions but I was wondering if people actually ask questions or if the session is more relaxed and just a time for you to listen and learn more about the school?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It seems like a lot of people who have interviewed so far have been accepted. Has anyone who has interviewed been rejected so far?
I was given a rejection post-interview ( i was on the first interview day) </3 - v sad bc I felt the interview went really well, (and had inside scoop that my interviewers liked me) so i was hopeful, but nope!

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Deposit is a total of $2,000. My letter states I need to pay a non-refundable deposit of $500 by December 14 to secure my spot and then another deposit of $1,500 within 60 days of the initial deposit. The $1,500 deposit is refundable until May 1, 2021.
I've been told osteopathic schools have killer deposits and it seems true. My 3 MD acceptances all have refundable $100 deposits.

I'll take that non-refundable deposit of $500 over the $1000 I have to come up with. :cryi:
Small beans compared to the long run, but it'll be the holidays so that complicates things for some.

• Care
That’s sad to hear but I’m glad you have an acceptance. Are you OOS or out of the NE region?

Also I know you said your interview went well, but did you get feedback on why you got the R? You seem like a strong candidate and I have a <504 MCAT so kinda nervous now.
I am OOS, but in New England, no direct ties to the school its self but I do know some faculty there! And nope, they just sent a generic rejection letter (and couldn't even be bothered to update the ones from last year (i'm assuming) b/c it read "after you on-campus interview" hahaha. Don't be nervous! The whole thing is a luck of the draw in my eyes, so just because I was rejected doesn't mean you will be :) ! (I also took the MCAT 3x so maybe that did not help either.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I have heard back nothing from the school, is it a soft R?

Is the welcome session the day before the interview formal?

Does anyone know the format of the interview? 1:1? panel? etc? Unless I am losing my mind I can't find any info on this from what they provided me. Thx

Does anyone know the format of the interview? 1:1? panel? etc? Unless I am losing my mind I can't find any info on this from what they provided me. Thx

It’s open file with two faculty members and a third year student. Be prepared to talk about your experiences. Very laid back and everyone was nice. Only 30mins are allotted for the interview.

II received around 2pm today! Definitely in my top 3 so I'm super excited!!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Received the II yesterday!!! Complete 7/29. So excited because this one of my top choices! BTW does anyone know if it is possible to reschedule the interview to an earlier date? I know they let you reschedule the interview once but I wanted to know if they'd let me do it earlier rather than later?

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Received the II yesterday!!! Complete 7/29. So excited because this one of my top choices! BTW does anyone know if it is possible to reschedule the interview to an earlier date? I know they let you reschedule the interview once but I wanted to know if they'd let me do it earlier rather than later?
I think they’re assigned by availability so most likely that’s the next time they have spots open but it doesn’t hurt to try!

II yesterday!! OOS, complete 7/6. sGPA 3.9, MCAT 509. good luck to you all :)

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Hello.
Does anyone know the appropriate way to send Thank You letters this year? Just finished my Interview Day and wanted to reach out to those involved.

Hello.
Does anyone know the appropriate way to send Thank You letters this year? Just finished my Interview Day and wanted to reach out to those involved.
I am not sure what is the right way. But what I did was I wrote individualized thank you note to each of my interviewer and sent to admissions office. They sent those thank you notes to concerned person. One of my interviewer acknowledged that she got my note as well.

I am not sure what is the right way. But what I did was I wrote individualized thank you note to each of my interviewer and sent to admissions office. They sent those thank you notes to concerned person. One of my interviewer acknowledged that she got my note as well.
Thank you for the help. Did you just email them and add them all as separate attachments if so? They mentioned no physical letters this year and I was not sure if emailing gradadmissions would get the letters through.

Thank you for the help. Did you just email them and add them all as separate attachments if so? They mentioned no physical letters this year and I was not sure if emailing gradadmissions would get the letters through.
I emailed to gradadmissions and they forwarded to each of my interviewer. In one email, I wrote separate notes mentioning their name. So they can easily forward it

That is the way I did it too but did not get confirmation from the grad office?
I did not get the confirmation from gradadmissions. I got confirmation email from one of my student interviewer

I have to admit, the interview experience at UNECOM was pretty amazing. I definitely want to go this school even more now haha :/ anyone else agree?

Does anyone know if UNECOM has any good scholarships (for people not from Maine) that can help cut down the cost of attendance. I love this school and want to go here but dang that price is a little steep.

3:1, 1 physician faculty (MD/DO), 1 science faculty, and 1 2nd year student. If one of the interviewers cannot make it on short notice, it may be 2:1. Before your actual interview time slot, you will be placed with other applicants in a larger zoom room with a 2nd year student for opportunities to ask questions and loosen up, as you would pre-COVID!

For anyone who interviewed and was accepted: What was the turn around time for acceptances?

I applied to UNECOM early August. Would it be weird of me to email them about the status of my application? Has anyone else been waiting to hear back?

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
II for 12/1 received last week, OOS from Midwest. I've read that in region have much better odds of acceptance, plus my interview being a little later has me feeling nervous. 3.5, 3.7, 518 primary and secondary completed late October/early November.

Accepted !!! Interviewed 10/29. I'm ecstatic. literally started the day with a rejection from GW and just got this at work

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
Accepted today!!! Interviewed 10/29, 504, 3.5/3.4

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Joining the other 10/29 acceptances! Wasn't expecting to hear from them for another 2 weeks, but wow, what a way to start the week!

Congrats to all the other acceptees! Everyone else, keep your heads up :)

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
For anyone who interviewed and was accepted: What was the turn around time for acceptances?
Mine was 3 weeks. I interviewed Tuesday Oct 27th and received an acceptance this Monday Nov. 16th. Pretty excited! :)

• Love
Anyone else complete end of sept and not hear anything yet?

I was like June/July (early, at any rate, I just don't feel like looking up the email right now lol) and nada. So idk what they're doing but they're behind so nobody freak out yet.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I interviewed yesterday 11/17/20, and honestly this was the most chill interview I've ever had. I'd definitely consider this program if I got in.

Not sure if anyone has put down a deposit yet, but for those that have, has there been any further communication other than confirmation of the deposit?

Can it be January 1st already so I can send them an update letter lol

I interviewed yesterday 11/17/20, and honestly this was the most chill interview I've ever had. I'd definitely consider this program if I got in.
I have mine tomorrow! So nervous!!!

• Care