2020-2021 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does the UW provide the name of the interviewers a day or two before the interview? Also, how do you guys recommend preparing for the role playing portion of the interview especially as it’s going to be performed virtually.
At least in my case they did not do role playing since it was virtual. The interviewers names were listed on my portal. I only noticed the morning of my interview so I am unsure how early they appear.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
At least in my case they did not do role playing since it was virtual. The interviewers names were listed on my portal. I only noticed the morning of my interview so I am unsure how early they appear.
Great! Which cohort did you interview with?

Thank you very much for your reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, I hope you are well. Does anyone know what opportunities for research (if any) exist outside of the summer of research between years one and two? I'm interviewing for MD only (not MD-PhD) but I'm really interested in scholarship. I've been looking around the website but can't seem to find much (could be my lack of sleep...😄)

Does the UW provide the name of the interviewers a day or two before the interview? Also, how do you guys recommend preparing for the role playing portion of the interview especially as it’s going to be performed virtually.
Yeah, they provide the information on your interviewers in the UW application portal on the interview page. I noticed mine several days before the interview. I would definitely recommend doing some research on who your interviewers are so that you know who you’ll be talking to, but just a side note, UW recommends not wasting your interview time asking your interviewers questions about their career, unless it is really important to you. Basically, if it’s a question that could be answered by students, faculty, and staff during the virtual info sessions for applicants, you shouldn’t be asking it during your interview.

Should we be prepared to answer a question like "how are you going to pay for medical school" or "do you have a solid financial plan for tuition and living costs" beyond saying that I will be taking out loans for practically 99% of the tuition/living expenses? I might mention that I will try to get into a loan forgiveness program and serve in underserved areas also. How in-depth should we go into this? I was planning on doing this after I got accepted after I saw my financial aid package, and after I had talked with the financial aid advisor...

Should we be prepared to answer a question like "how are you going to pay for medical school" or "do you have a solid financial plan for tuition and living costs" beyond saying that I will be taking out loans for practically 99% of the tuition/living expenses? I might mention that I will try to get into a loan forgiveness program and serve in underserved areas also. How in-depth should we go into this? I was planning on doing this after I got accepted after I saw my financial aid package, and after I had talked with the financial aid advisor...
I'd be surprised if anyone has actually been asked a question like that at any medical school interview in general

Reactions: 1 user
No that question is definitely off limits. There will be plenty of opportunity to speak about wanting to serve in underprivileged areas if that’s something you want to make known and clear to your interviewers.

For those of you with multiple SUC’s, how do you know when you will receive your next update? I interviewed 1/5 and got my first SUC on 1/19. When should we expect to hear next? Seattle cohort, in state applicant.

For those of you with multiple SUC’s, how do you know when you will receive your next update? I interviewed 1/5 and got my first SUC on 1/19. When should we expect to hear next? Seattle cohort, in state applicant.
You don't know! Mine haven't seemed to follow any pattern besides always coming on a Monday (or Tuesday after a holiday).

The first SUC email briefly explains. For Seattle cohort, the EXCOM meets Fridays of interview weeks. Today was supposed to be the last interview date, but seems interviews have been extended to the end of February. Basically, you can expect to hear back the Friday after they meet (if accepted), and if you don’t you should expect a SUC or R email the following Monday. Sometimes, like in your case, they meet the Friday in the week after your interview, but the same process follows.

The first SUC email briefly explains. For Seattle cohort, the EXCOM meets Fridays of interview weeks. Today was supposed to be the last interview date, but seems interviews have been extended to the end of February. Basically, you can expect to hear back the Friday after they meet (if accepted), and if you don’t you should expect a SUC or R email the following Monday. Sometimes, like in your case, they meet the Friday in the week after your interview, but the same process follows.
Awesome, thank you so much. How do you keep up with interview weeks?

I think that’s a pretty inappropriate question for interviews. It doesn’t affect your eligibility to go to medschool— in fact it’s actually a pretty classist question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome, thank you so much. How do you keep up with interview weeks?
I was using their website but they haven’t updated it, and the password protected website says they interview through February. So now the only way to know is if someone posts here that they are interviewing for Seattle a certain week.

I was using their website but they haven’t updated it, and the password protected website says they interview through February. So now the only way to know is if someone posts here that they are interviewing for Seattle a certain week.
I wonder if the admissions department would be willing to give updates on the last interview dates if one of us called?

I wonder if the admissions department would be willing to give updates on the last interview dates if one of us called?

Their interview info website says that there is a round of interviews this week (January 17th) which means the panel will discuss applicants at the meeting next week. Usually they update applicants at the end of the week.

Hi all,

Just jumping on here for the first time. OOS interviewed 12/17, one SUC. Haven't heard back this week at all. Definitely had some goofy, less-than-perfect answers for some of my questions, but the med student who interviewed me said I'd fit right in in Seattle and I think I got along with my EXCOM, so who knows? Fingers crossed for everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
This might not be a good question to ask here but I'm not really sure where else to ask. I received an acceptance and plan to attend UW next fall, and I also recently got engaged. We're currently planning our wedding for the summer between M1 and M2, with some medical schools this wouldn't be an issue but I know UW schedules the 10 weeks from mid-June to September as time for research, with only the first week of summer designated as a"break." From what I've read so far it seems like research projects are really variable in time and scheduling just depends on who you work with/what you do, so it seems reasonable that some students would take breaks or vacations outside of just the first week. Would it be inappropriate for me to email someone at admissions and ask what time period during the summer I should schedule my wedding/honeymoon? Or does anyone know current students who have more insight into what the summer between M1 and M2 is like? I've been searching the website but I can't find much

I know someone answered already with their personal experience, but I talked with a UW ADCOM a few weeks ago and he said that they are not doing role play type stuff at all this year due to covid and the interview being virtual. So expect and prepare for just a good ol' panel interview. Good luck :)

This might not be a good question to ask here but I'm not really sure where else to ask. I received an acceptance and plan to attend UW next fall, and I also recently got engaged. We're currently planning our wedding for the summer between M1 and M2, with some medical schools this wouldn't be an issue but I know UW schedules the 10 weeks from mid-June to September as time for research, with only the first week of summer designated as a"break." From what I've read so far it seems like research projects are really variable in time and scheduling just depends on who you work with/what you do, so it seems reasonable that some students would take breaks or vacations outside of just the first week. Would it be inappropriate for me to email someone at admissions and ask what time period during the summer I should schedule my wedding/honeymoon? Or does anyone know current students who have more insight into what the summer between M1 and M2 is like? I've been searching the website but I can't find much
MS1 here, maybe I can shed a little light on this. It doesn't hurt to ask but tbh I'm not sure how much they can tell you unless you have a plan for the research you want to do. There's 4 tracks you can choose from: RUOP (basically you go to a rural area for 6-7 weeks and do a public health project), Scholarship of Integration (a literature review), Scholarship of Discovery (original research), and GHIP (the global health track).

If you do a RUOP, you'll be at your site for 6-7 weeks, while the remaining weeks are off. Lots of students take the remaining few weeks as vacation. Your RUOP can be set up so that you start at the beginning of the summer and have the last few weeks of summer off, or you have the first few weeks of summer off and then do your RUOP. I know for RUOP there's a survey you fill out by early January where you can state your preferences/anything UWSOM needs to know about beforehand to help in placing you.

If you're doing a lit review, you're probably gonna work on it remotely throughout the summer so that gives you some flexibility. If you're doing a global health experience, you'll be gone for almost the entire summer (not 100% sure since I don't know much about it and international travel's been suspended for E-20s). If you're doing original research, then you may either work remotely or have to work in person.

Basically, it really depends on what you want to do. Especially with COVID, things aren't 100% set in stone which makes it trickier.

Hope that helps!

MS1 here, maybe I can shed a little light on this. It doesn't hurt to ask but tbh I'm not sure how much they can tell you unless you have a plan for the research you want to do. There's 4 tracks you can choose from: RUOP (basically you go to a rural area for 6-7 weeks and do a public health project), Scholarship of Integration (a literature review), Scholarship of Discovery (original research), and GHIP (the global health track).

If you do a RUOP, you'll be at your site for 6-7 weeks, while the remaining weeks are off. Lots of students take the remaining few weeks as vacation. Your RUOP can be set up so that you start at the beginning of the summer and have the last few weeks of summer off, or you have the first few weeks of summer off and then do your RUOP. I know for RUOP there's a survey you fill out by early January where you can state your preferences/anything UWSOM needs to know about beforehand to help in placing you.

If you're doing a lit review, you're probably gonna work on it remotely throughout the summer so that gives you some flexibility. If you're doing a global health experience, you'll be gone for almost the entire summer (not 100% sure since I don't know much about it and international travel's been suspended for E-20s). If you're doing original research, then you may either work remotely or have to work in person.

Basically, it really depends on what you want to do. Especially with COVID, things aren't 100% set in stone which makes it trickier.

Hope that helps!
This is really helpful, thank you!

Still haven't heard anything from the Seattle cohort after my first SUC. Anyone else?

• Care
Any last-minute recommendations for the interview? (I'm interviewing for Spokane today).

Any last-minute recommendations for the interview? (I'm interviewing for Spokane today).

I just had mine this morning! It was lower stress than I was expecting, but I’d just recommend try to be concise I felt that I got a bit rambly. Definitely go through their sample interview questions online! Relax and enjoy :D

I just had mine this morning! It was lower stress than I was expecting, but I’d just recommend try to be concise I felt that I got a bit rambly. Definitely go through their sample interview questions online! Relax and enjoy :D
Good to hear. Congrats on the interview AND being done with the interview! What do we do at check in?

Good to hear. Congrats on the interview AND being done with the interview! What do we do at check in?

For mine we just said our name and where we were from, pretty much was just a way to test our cams and mics and they allowed for any questions but no one In my group asked any!

Idaho applicants -- when do we hear??
From what I've gathered from previous years and the website, Excom meets shortly after interviews are done. For Idaho this year, Friday is the last day for interviews. In some years, students have heard back over that weekend. Usually, it is in the earlier half of the week following interviews. Normally, accepted students will receive a call from their Excom interviewer first (but I haven't paid attention to how they do it this year.) In previous years, the accepted students usually hear back first, then waitlisted and rejected students get an email a couple of days after the accepted students hear back. Again, things can be different year-to-year, but I wouldn't be surprised if we all hear back by a week from tomorrow.

My wife and I planned a skiing trip this weekend into next week so I don't stress out too much about the interview!

Edit: I went back and looked. 2020 acceptances were on Tuesday the week after interviews. In 2019, some people heard back on Friday right after interviews. The earliest 2018 acceptances were also on the Friday after interviews. (Disclaimer: I was too lazy to look at how long each interview week was for each year. Previous years' interview weeks may have been shorter.)

I also just stress-bought a bunch of new computer parts even though I don't need to upgrade my PC yet. Don't be like me and waste your stimulus check.

Last edited:
  • Care
Hey guys! I have a friend who is having trouble making an SDN account, so he asked me to post this here:

"Has anyone got a follow up email from the university regarding a set interview time?

I’m an alaska applicant and was told that I would get a solid date/time around 3 weeks prior."

Any help is appreciated!

Hey guys! I have a friend who is having trouble making an SDN account, so he asked me to post this here:

"Has anyone got a follow up email from the university regarding a set interview time?

I’m an alaska applicant and was told that I would get a solid date/time around 3 weeks prior."

Any help is appreciated!
I'd recommend sending an email. I've heard this from a few AK applicants so far-not sure why this is happening when it's so close to interview week.

Did any of these applicants follow up?
I haven’t, but I was coming here this morning to see if everyone else was still in the same boat. At least we know what week it will be... I’m sure it will come soon.

Did any of these applicants follow up?
I haven’t, but I was coming here this morning to see if everyone else was still in the same boat. At least we know what week it will be... I’m sure it will come soon.
I wouldn't know beyond encouraging them to do so. It'll come, especially since it's close to interview week.

Last edited:

Any help is appreciated!
Can't speak specifically to Alaska, but I'm a Wyoming applicant and we were also told we'd get an email 3 weeks out... turns out we didn't get it until last Thursday and our interviews are next week.

• Wow

Any help is appreciated!
I still haven't got the follow up to set up Alaska interview time yet either!

Do we know when the last round of Seattle Interviews is?
I know a guy who is interviewing for Seattle on Saturday, Jan. 31. I didn’t know they conducted interviews on Saturday... but I don’t know what’s going on anymore lol

• Wow
Hey everyone, I’m an Alaskan applicant and received the interview scheduling email at 10 am AKST today. However, two people I know have not received it yet. I assumed it would go out to everyone at once but I guess not.

Hey everyone, I’m an Alaskan applicant and received the interview scheduling email at 10 am AKST today. However, two people I know have not received it yet. I assumed it would go out to everyone at once but I guess not.
Thanks for the update. Could ya post again when they end up receiving it, and I’ll do the same.

And did they give yiu an option of timing or how did it work? :)

And did they give yiu an option of timing or how did it work? :)
The interview scheduling is done on the portal. Once there, it will not let you reserve your preferred date until you upload a 3x5 picture of yourself. Then I had a choice between Feb. 9,10 or 11. I just clicked on the day I preferred to interview but could not choose what time of day. They gave me a username and password to access an interview information page which I have yet to check out. :)

The interview scheduling is done on the portal. Once there, it will not let you reserve your preferred date until you upload a 3x5 picture of yourself. Then I had a choice between Feb. 9,10 or 11. I just clicked on the day I preferred to interview but could not choose what time of day. They gave me a username and password to access an interview information page which I have yet to check out. :)
Last question! I’m thinking they might be sending out those interview dates based on ‘review is complete’ emails.

when did you find out you were going to be interviewed? I found out in the middle of December.

Last question! I’m thinking they might be sending out those interview dates based on ‘review is complete’ emails.

when did you find out you were going to be interviewed? I found out in the middle of December.
Nov 30th!

Do we know when the last round of Seattle Interviews is?
Hey friend! When I got my interview invite, the email said they were going on till the end of Feb. Seems like they're also cramming in more per week than usual. I remember they got a late start with secondaries and are probably still working through their list of primary candidates. Hope this helps!