2020-2021 UT Houston ( McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone who submitted a FAP fee waiver PDF with their secondary get the $65 fee waived yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Has someone heard of any updates on sending IIs ? Did someone receive it?

I agree with others who have posted here that they'll most likely start sending them out 3-4 weeks before their first interviews. So probably no earlier than mid August I'd imagine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current students or admin/professors comment on McGovern's curriculum?

I really liked the flipped classroom at Dell and can see that McGovern has with some active learning opportunities but many facilities look more like traditional lecture-style learning.

Does McGovern also used flipped classroom? I am also wondering how much time is spent doing more passive learning (lectures) versus active learning opportunities.

Did y'all get an email saying your application was complete? I've been having trouble getting my fee waiver to show up for them and I'm wondering if it's delaying my application from being marked as complete.

Did y'all get an email saying your application was complete? I've been having trouble getting my fee waiver to show up for them and I'm wondering if it's delaying my application from being marked as complete.
As soon as my secondary was received, I was marked complete. I don't have a fee waiver so I can't speak to that, but the admissions team responds very fast and are super nice to a range of questions/concerns so it won't hurt to reach out to them! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know the timeline when secondaries are sent out to MSTP applicants? There is a paper application on the website that says you can mail in with the fee? Did anyone mail in? Or do they send out a link to the secondary portal?

oh my god.. thank you for this thread reminding me of the fact that they send you a 'application complete' e-mail. I was wondering why i hadn't received one-- turns out I'd paid, but didn't click submit on my app.

I never got an email that specifically said I was "complete," but I got an email saying my secondary was received and that my app was under review. Did y'all receive an additional email or was that it? Since McGovern doesn't have a "status" page it's a little hard to tell. All of my materials have been received by the other schools, so is it safe to assume McGovern got them all too?

Yeah I never got a complete email either, just that secondary was received and all was being reviewed

Reactions: 1 users
Primary Transmitted 7/27, no secondary yet. Do they screen primaries?

Im not sure about them screening primaries, but I know it takes a while for them to send secondaries. I got mine about 6 days after I was transmitted so maybe just keep waiting for a bit?

It should be automatic. I hadn't received mine in over a week of being processed. I emailed them and they were very nice and got back to me quickly with my secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone now when McGovern will start sending out interviews?

Anyone now when McGovern will start sending out interviews?
They start interviews after Labor day, so possibly next week or maybe even this week? Usually, schools send out 2-4 weeks in advance.

I’m on the edge of my seat! :)

Lol if u have 6 interviews already from Texas schools pls dont complain here. It comes across as ungrateful. Sorry but a lot of us haven’t even gotten a single interview. So no sympathy here. Be grateful for what u have.

• Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
Lol if u have 6 interviews already from Texas schools pls dont complain here. It comes across as ungrateful. Sorry but a lot of us haven’t even gotten a single interview. So no sympathy here. Be grateful for what u have.

That doesn’t really strike me as complaining, he’s just excited. Regardless, worked hard enough to earn those 6 IIs, good for him.

Reactions: 6 users
That doesn’t really strike me as complaining, he’s just excited. Regardless, worked hard enough to earn those 6 IIs, good for him.

That user has complained in almost every thread about not receiving interviews in the first batch... No one is saying they didn’t work hard for the interviews...

That user has complained in almost every thread about not receiving interviews in the first batch...

That's part of the reason some premeds bash on SDN; sometimes the successful applicants don't understand how they come across to others, especially to the majority of applicants who are hoping to even get ANY interviews. No one is being intentionally malicious here. Everyone is certainly stressed out during the application cycle, even those with lots of interviews. You would think getting interviews and acceptances would curb an applicant's stress and neuroticism, but it rarely does, lol.

Reactions: 9 users
That's part of the reason some premeds bash on SDN; sometimes the successful applicants don't understand how they come across to others, especially to the majority of applicants who are hoping to even get ANY interviews. No one is being intentionally malicious here. Everyone is certainly stressed out during the application cycle, even those with lots of interviews. You would think getting interviews and acceptances would curb an applicant's stress and neuroticism, but it rarely does, lol.

guaranteed @Idahomie has an incredible CASPer score

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
No one is being intentionally malicious here.

That’s all I was trying to say. he isn’t bragging, just seems he is excited, which we all would be. Either way it’s literally August everybody has plenty of time to get those sweet sweet IIs

I’m definitely not intending to boast and am certainly not ungrateful (quite the opposite). Apologies if I gave you that impression. I just wanted to type something into this thread so that I’d receive notifications for it going forward. What I decided to say was an expression of my excitement for the rest of the cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
On a somewhat related note, does anybody else seem to not get notifications for many of the threads they "watch"? I feel like for over half the school threads I follow I am not receiving notifications...

On a somewhat related note, does anybody else seem to not get notifications for many of the threads they "watch"? I feel like for over half the school threads I follow I am not receiving notifications...
When I log in and select the Watched heading, the threads with new posts in them will show up in bold print. Do you see that on your phone or device?

Do y'all think Mcgovern will be sending out II's this week? Labor day weekend is about a month out from now:unsure:

When I log in and select the Watched heading, the threads with new posts in them will show up in bold print. Do you see that on your phone or device?
Yes I see it, thanks! I was relying solely on the "bell" notification icon

Interview invite received!

Reactions: 11 users
II received today, 12:26 PM. If any of y'all are doing the 11th, maybe I'll see you there in a tiny Zoom window! Good luck everyone!

Also dw if you didn't get one yet. I have friends with 520+ who didn't get one today, so there will def be more to come

II received today, 12:26 PM. If any of y'all are doing the 11th, maybe I'll see you there in a tiny Zoom window! Good luck everyone!

Also dw if you didn't get one yet. I have friends with 520+ who didn't get one today, so there will def be more to come

Count me as one of those. Medical school admissions are confusing. I'm having a successful cycle, so I'm more curious than upset, but I'm not sure why I can snag early interviews with some schools while others won't give me the time of day

Reactions: 4 users
Count me as one of those. Medical school admissions are confusing. I'm having a successful cycle, so I'm more curious than upset, but I'm not sure why I can snag early interviews with some schools while others won't give me the time of day

+1

McGovern was the first to announce a shift to virtual interviews for this season, IIRC. But did anyone else see options for vegetarian meals and a tab for a shuttle pass?

McGovern was the first to announce a shift to virtual interviews for this season, IIRC. But did anyone else see options for vegetarian meals and a tab for a shuttle pass?
Probably a relic from their interview invite last year. Or maybe they'll send us a jpeg of a salad?

Reactions: 2 users
Medical school admissions are confusing. I'm having a successful cycle, so I'm more curious than upset, but I'm not sure why I can snag early interviews with some schools while others won't give me the time of day

Same, idk anymore. I'm getting ignored by a school I really wanted to go to and thought would at least give me an II (cough UTMB), while schools I thought would ignore me gave me II, like Lubbock. Great school, would def go there, but I don't have any regional connections or rural health connections, so who even knows?

Does anyone know if they McGovern requires Casper scores before sending an II?

Does anyone know if they McGovern requires Casper scores before sending an II?
Yes, they do. The exact quote from the secondary invite was:
A completed secondary and CASPer score are required to be considered for an interview; the deadline to submit your secondary is November 16th. Your application will not be evaluated until your secondary application is received.

Yes, they do. The exact quote from the secondary invite was:
A completed secondary and CASPer score are required to be considered for an interview; the deadline to submit your secondary is November 16th. Your application will not be evaluated until your secondary application is received.
Okay thanks so much! Sorry I didn’t notice that! I was nervous about not getting an II, but my Casper score also isn’t in yet!

Does anyone actually know how II work? Like do they give II to high stats people first, at least for mcgovern? Mcgovern is my dream school

Same, idk anymore. I'm getting ignored by a school I really wanted to go to and thought would at least give me an II (cough UTMB), while schools I thought would ignore me gave me II, like Lubbock. Great school, would def go there, but I don't have any regional connections or rural health connections, so who even knows?
Did you get an interview from Southwestern? UT Houston is not expecting to be able to recruit people with LizzyM scores of 83 which is probably in the top 0.1% of all Texas applicants.

Did you get an interview from Southwestern? UT Houston is not expecting to be able to recruit people with LizzyM scores of 83 which is probably in the top 0.1% of all Texas applicants.
Yeah, UTSW sent me an interview. As far as I can tell they don't even read your app, they just screen based on gpa/mcat and send II to anyone who falls above a certain level. And McGovern is a really good school with one of the higher median MCATs in the state and close proximity to the TX Medical Center, so they definitely attract strong applicants. Personally I'd go there over UTSW just bc I like H-town so much, but that's just me

Yeah, UTSW sent me an interview. As far as I can tell they don't even read your app, they just screen based on gpa/mcat and send II to anyone who falls above a certain level. And McGovern is a really good school with one of the higher median MCATs in the state and close proximity to the TX Medical Center, so they definitely attract strong applicants. Personally I'd go there over UTSW just bc I like H-town so much, but that's just me
Depends on how your love for McGovern came across in your essays. They also consider Baylor to be a strong contender for candidates at your level.

I expect you to be interviewed. I am just saying they dont expect you to enroll if you get into Baylor/UTSW. I have seen people of your caliber getting pressured to state whether they will come there during an interview and not be admitted after an interview and complain that they did not rank them higher than the schools they are admitted to during the match to be admitted at UTH.

In the secondary question asking for "a challenging situation or obstacle you have faced in the past" would it make sense to talk about an experience I had when I was ten years old? It doesn't really relate to academics but it was definitely a challenging situation that I overcame.

In the secondary question asking for "a challenging situation or obstacle you have faced in the past" would it make sense to talk about an experience I had when I was ten years old? It doesn't really relate to academics but it was definitely a challenging situation that I overcame.
Unless this involved overcoming homelessness, losing a loved one or having major medical problems for you or family, age 10 is not always relevant.

It should be something that impacted you deeply.

In my opinion, challenges and obstacles involve - financial, health, ethical, moral, familial, etc. You dont see ethical and moral dilemmas until you get to college or late in high school.

Depends on how your love for McGovern came across in your essays. They also consider Baylor to be a strong contender for candidates at your level.

I expect you to be interviewed. I am just saying they dont expect you to enroll if you get into Baylor/UTSW. I have seen people of your caliber getting pressured to state whether they will come there during an interview and not be admitted after an interview and complain that they did not rank them higher than the schools they are admitted to during the match to be admitted at UTH.

What you're saying is 100% true. If an applicant doesn't express enthusiasm for a school, treats it as a "safety" or can't explain why they would choose them, the school will reject/waitlist regardless of stats. I would genuinely put UTH above UTSW on the match, but I don't necessarily expect UTH adcoms to believe me, since anyone would tell them that during an interview. Since UTH gave me an II they likely believe that I would consider going there, and it's up to me to convince them that I'm worth an acceptance.