2020-2021 UT Houston ( McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What you're saying is 100% true. If an applicant doesn't express enthusiasm for a school, treats it as a "safety" or can't explain why they would choose them, the school will reject/waitlist regardless of stats. I would genuinely put UTH above UTSW on the match, but I don't necessarily expect UTH adcoms to believe me, since anyone would tell them that during an interview. Since UTH gave me an II they likely believe that I would consider going there, and it's up to me to convince them that I'm worth an acceptance.
Good luck. I have a small sample size of people with 80+ stats from Texas who interviewed early at but admitted vs not admitted early. The only one I know admitted early genuinely believed to have a preference due to a sibling in the same college at that time but ended up staying back at a top 5 med school where this person was an undergrad student. Another person with an 81+ got in everywhere interviewed in Texas except UTH and based on the way match works, needed to put down one top choice school and the only way it would have worked is to place UTH above 5 schools which admitted this person. Not an easy thing to do when you feel jilted.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
When were you complete and stats/
Lizzy if you don’t mind sharing?

Congrats!! Do you mind sharing when your app was marked complete For McGovern? :)
They received my secondary 6/11 but someone from admissions emailed me last week asking for FAP verification, and I know they don't review applications until that's received so I may have been marked complete just a few days ago.

Reactions: 2 users
Waiting for some love from McGovern. Was a little late, but I guess putting this out there into the universe will bring some good my way. :)

Waiting for some love from McGovern. Was a little late, but I guess putting this out there into the universe will bring some good my way. :)
+1 it’s literally my dream school

For everyone that received II's were you recommendation letters in?

Members don't see this ad :)
My LizzyM score is 66.5. Do I have a realistic shot at mcgovern based on numbers?

My LizzyM score is 66.5. Do I have a realistic shot at mcgovern based on numbers?
Depends. Are you IS? If so, I'm around there and I received an II. If you're OOS, I would probably pass on applying here.

Reactions: 1 users
Depends. Are you IS? If so, I'm around there and I received an II. If you're OOS, I would probably pass on applying here.

Yes, I am in-state TX resident. I submitted my primary on 05/27 and the rest of the applicants (including mcat and secondaries) by beginning Aug.

When did you submit/receive an interview? That's great, btw. Congrats!!

Yes, I am in-state TX resident. I submitted my primary on 05/27 and the rest of the applicants (including mcat and secondaries) by beginning Aug.

When did you submit/receive an interview? That's great, btw. Congrats!!
I submitted within the first or second week and received the invite sometime last week. Thanks- I had quite a bit of service in the Houston area which probably appealed to them despite my lower LM.

My professor informed me today that there is an assessment scheduled for the day of my interview and he does not allow students to take it at another time, even for extenuating circumstances like med school interviews. I am considering rescheduling my interview, but am unsure what the likelihood of doing so would be. Has anyone had experience rescheduling or have any thoughts about this dilemma?

Last edited:
I have an interview scheduled for 9/11. However, my professor informed me today that there is an assessment scheduled for that day and he does not allow students to take it at another time, even for extenuating circumstances like med school interviews. I am considering rescheduling my interview, but am unsure what the likelihood of doing so would be and how that may or may not affect my application. Has anyone had experience rescheduling or have any thoughts about this dilemma?
Contact the Med school and ask to reschedule

Yes, that goes without saying. I was looking for thoughts from other applicants who had a similar experience.
Sounds like it needed to be said.

None of us here know if it would affect your application. I had to reschedule an interview at another school and they were understanding of my circumstances but you won’t know til you contact them.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you get an interview from Southwestern? UT Houston is not expecting to be able to recruit people with LizzyM scores of 83 which is probably in the top 0.1% of all Texas applicants.

Wait, they are expecting most recruits to have LizzyM scores of over 83? Because of COVID-19? Then should people with LizzyM scores of 70-73 not even apply for fear of wasting secondary fees on UT schools? Where did this info come from?

Wait, they are expecting most recruits to have LizzyM scores of over 83? Then should people with LizzyM scores of 70-73 not even apply for fear of wasting secondary fees on UT schools?
Lol. No, that’s not what they’re saying. They’re saying that McGovern isn’t expecting people with LM >83 to CHOOSE McGovern, if given the choice. Definitely apply if you’re in that range.

Lol. No, that’s not what they’re saying. They’re saying that McGovern isn’t expecting people with LM >83 to CHOOSE McGovern, if given the choice. Definitely apply if you’re in that range.

I didn't see the word "not." Lol. I just hope an OOS applicant with a 512 is good enough for an interview (idk if I should retake the MCAT).

I didn't see the word "not." Lol. I just hope an OOS applicant with a 512 is good enough for an interview (idk if I should retake the MCAT).
I read a post today where someone who had a 512 retook and scored a 506! I’m sure that wouldn’t happen to you but you have a great score already. Texas is tough as an OOS but you’re at least competitive.

• Wow

Same.... my mcat is 517 and gpa is 3.81 and nothing... I was complete August 12th (My Casper scores came in that day)

did anyone get like a confirmation email saying they were complete with them?

Also, has anyone that was completed around August 12th gotten an II? I’m wondering if I was just late And they haven’t gotten to it or they don’t like me lol

August 12th is a bit late for UT Houston. I have seen people who completed apps in July receive invitation for a January interview (their last).

Your stats are good for UTH and you should be interviewed by them. However, since UTH does not allocate too many seats early on, it should not matter when you get interviewed, only that you be interviewed.

August 12th is a bit late for UT Houston. I have seen people who completed apps in July receive invitation for a January interview (their last).

Your stats are good for UTH and you should be interviewed by them. However, since UTH does not allocate too many seats early on, it should not matter when you get interviewed, only that you be interviewed.
People who were fully complete in July got interviews for January? I don't know how accurate that is because schools are trying to spread out their IIs throughout the season. Also, I have heard people get IIs throughout August-December, even later. I don't think anyone should worry yet!

Reactions: 4 users

Is Aug 12th late for this cycle?

Is Aug 12th late for this cycle?
No. Just that UTH will review applications in the order received (not sure if they make exceptions for specific type of applicants) and there are almost 3 months worth of applicants if the application season started in May to be reviewed.

At UT Houston, being interviewed is more important than when.

No. Just that UTH will review applications in the order received (not sure if they make exceptions for specific type of applicants) and there are almost 3 months worth of applicants if the application season started in May to be reviewed.

At UT Houston, being interviewed is more important than when.
Agree. Patience is needed in this application cycle. Thank you

okay thank you, that helps! :)

Same.... my mcat is 517 and gpa is 3.81 and nothing... I was complete August 12th (My Casper scores came in that day)

did anyone get like a confirmation email saying they were complete with them?

Also, has anyone that was completed around August 12th gotten an II? I’m wondering if I was just late And they haven’t gotten to it or they don’t like me lol
If it makes you feel any better, we have virtually identical stats and I was complete on July 16th and I still haven't heard anything back. FWIW, I did interview at McGovern 2 years ago with a much lower MCAT score.

II today, submitted everything on 7/10 but Casper score was sent in around 7/20!

Has McGovern ever given later interview dates to earlier applicants? I was marked complete in June and have no idea if I'd still be able to receive a II.

Has McGovern ever given later interview dates to earlier applicants? I was marked complete in June and have no idea if I'd still be able to receive a II.
Yes. On past threads there were multiple times that happened. Just hang tight, still Very early.

Around what interview dates are going out right now? I hope there's still a lot of time/spots left for IIs

Anyone know when is the latest McGovern will send out interview invites? I was marked complete 6/23 and I've been dying. I've only got one interview invite from a Texas school back in July (still good, I know, just stressed out) but it's been complete radio silence since then. I did a research program with McGovern before and I fell in love with the school, it's definitely a top choice of mine.

Hi all,

Current MS2 here. Happy to answer any questions you may have. Best of luck to you all this upcoming cycle!

Random question but what does IA mean when people put that in their profile?