2020-2021 UT Houston ( McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Mcgovern likes to play hard to get I see ;)

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
praying for an interview but seems like i got skipped this round.... i was complete 8/2, LizzyM 74

Patience is a virtue! When I was interviewing in 2018, I didn't get my interview invitation until the first week of November and still managed to pre-match. It's not about when you interview, but how your interview goes.

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
Good luck to everyone! McGovern has a great program -- and they do a great job of showcasing it :)

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck to everyone! McGovern has a great program -- and they do a great job of showcasing it :)

I second this. I can confidently say I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else for medical school. To those applying: please don’t hesitate to reach out on here or via PM if you have any questions about McGovern or what it’s like to be a student here.

Reactions: 2 users
Could anyone provide info abt the interview? experience? stuff to prepare for?

Could anyone provide info abt the interview? experience? stuff to prepare for?

I had an interview with a faculty member and an MS4 and both were very conversational with just a couple of typical interview questions. I had a great experience, don't stress about it!

Reactions: 3 users
Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 9.35.03 PM.png

Reactions: 9 users
Relative to other Texas schools, has mcgovern not sent out many IIs yet? I was looking at the MD tracker and it seems like that was the case but I wasn't sure

Relative to other Texas schools, has mcgovern not sent out many IIs yet? I was looking at the MD tracker and it seems like that was the case but I wasn't sure
I think they've sent a decent amount. SDN is a micro population of all applicants. But, there are still months left of potential invites:, ))

Reactions: 1 user
they have sent out 3 batches of IIs ( 8/10, 8/17, 8/31) in August and 1 in September (9/15-16)

Reactions: 6 users
To any current McGovern student....I own a home about an hr away from the school. Im married with kids and currently make that drive to UH for undergrad. Is that commute still doable while in med school? I was thinking about attending Long, but Houston would be preferable if it meant i wouldnt have to move.

To any current McGovern student....I own a home about an hr away from the school. Im married with kids and currently make that drive to UH for undergrad. Is that commute still doable while in med school? I was thinking about attending Long, but Houston would be preferable if it meant i wouldnt have to move.
UT Houston and University of Houston are not in the same location. How did you figure you have same commute?

This year is a good year not to worry about commute for first year students since they have limited requirements to visit school. I suspect 2021 starting batch will be back to normal with regular school. There is a lot of studying in medical school and so it is not the commute that will be the issue but the time you have to give up, i.e., 2 hours of your day.

I did know some students who commuted from Clear Lake and Pearland to medical center. A current student at Baylor moved to an apartment when rotations started after staying home for almost 2 years.

UT Houston and University of Houston are not in the same location. How did you figure you have same commute?

This year is a good year not to worry about commute for first year students since they have limited requirements to visit school. I suspect 2021 starting batch will be back to normal with regular school. There is a lot of studying in medical school and so it is not the commute that will be the issue but the time you have to give up, i.e., 2 hours of your day.

I did know some students who commuted from Clear Lake and Pearland to medical center. A current student at Baylor moved to an apartment when rotations started after staying home for almost 2 years.
Going off Google Maps. Yeah I was thinking about commuting maybe for the first two years. i dont know, this choice is a lot more complicated when you have kids.

Going off Google Maps. Yeah I was thinking about commuting maybe for the first two years. i dont know, this choice is a lot more complicated when you have kids.

It would certainly be doable your first two years. You will likely only have to be on campus two-three days per week at the very most as an MS1 and that diminishes even further when you're an MS2 (this was the case even pre-COVID). The trick will be third year, as that's when you'll be doing your rotations. Fourth year, you'll primarily be doing either 1) Elective rotations or 2) Away rotations (depending on your specialty of choice), which shouldn't be a problem either if you're commuting, as you'll largely be able to dictate your schedule to a large extent.

Full disclosure: I'm very biased, but you can't get the experience of being in the Texas medical center anywhere else except Houston. From the experiences I've had thus far, that alone is worth making some pretty steep sacrifices and putting up with inconveniences like a long commute, especially when combined with the incredibly welcoming faculty who are more than happy to get you involved in anything you so choose. Happy to discuss further via PM if you want any further input.

Best of luck with your decision!

Yeah, UTSW sent me an interview. As far as I can tell they don't even read your app, they just screen based on gpa/mcat and send II to anyone who falls above a certain level. And McGovern is a really good school with one of the higher median MCATs in the state and close proximity to the TX Medical Center, so they definitely attract strong applicants. Personally I'd go there over UTSW just bc I like H-town so much, but that's just me
Did you hear back from McGovern? I'm in the same boat as you so was just wondering

II !!!!!! SO EXITED. My dream School and program !
Completed 06/20 TX Resident

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to the people receiving IIs above!!! But just out of curiosity have people who were complete mid-August gotten IIs yet?

Congrats to the people receiving IIs above!!! But just out of curiosity have people who were complete mid-August gotten IIs yet?
A few users above got quick IIs when complete mid-August but as you'd expect, super high stat individuals

For those who received IIs today, do you remember what dates were available in Nov and beyond? After choosing my date, I noticed I can't access the schedule anymore. I did see that there are interviews every Friday in Oct. and a couple other random dates for those wanted to know.

For those who received IIs today, do you remember what dates were available in Nov and beyond? After choosing my date, I noticed I can't access the schedule anymore. I did see that there are interviews every Friday in Oct. and a couple other random dates for those wanted to know.

The interview system only shows the first four available dates from the date of II (not sure if every applicant sees the same four dates though) so we could not see any dates later than the first week of November.

II invite here as well. Complete mid-June, LM 71-72, in-state. Just for further confirmation of dates--one date in October and three in the first-half of November were available.

II invite here as well. Complete mid-June, LM 71-72, in-state. Just for further confirmation of dates--one date in October and three in the first-half of November were available.

Almost identical situation, slightly higher LM (77). Chose the November date

Reactions: 4 users
just interviewed! truly phenomenal experience & an amazing school in all aspects. really hope i pre-match here. :lol:

& for those of you who have yet to interview, do not stress at all. easiest & chillest interview i've had thus far.

Reactions: 10 users
just interviewed! truly phenomenal experience & an amazing school in all aspects. really hope i pre-match here. :lol:

& for those of you who have yet to interview, do not stress at all. easiest & chillest interview i've had thus far.
What are you stats/when were you complete if you don't mind me asking?

Does anyone know if pre-match offers go out starting on October 15th or November 15th for Texas residents? I’ve seen both dates mentioned, so I’m not sure which day I should add to my calendar to start panicking

Does anyone know if pre-match offers go out starting on October 15th or November 15th for Texas residents? I’ve seen both dates mentioned, so I’m not sure which day I should add to my calendar to start panicking

Please don't pre-schedule your panic!
Just because there is a starting date for pre-match offers, the pre-match period continues on and not hearing something the first day is no cause for worry. Remember that as long as you have interviews, you can match, even with no pre-match offers at all.

The pre-match offer window this year is from October 15, 2020 to January 31, 2021.
OOS applicants do not participate in the match, but the first admission offers to OOS applicants likewise can happen starting October 15, 2020.

Reactions: 3 users
Not sure Baylor follows October 15th prematch since they are part of AAMC.