2020-2021 Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I took the MCAT in 2019 with a 515 and have a 3.95 cGPA and 3.92 sGPA. Majored in Physiology and Finance and minored in economics. I have over 2000 hours of service from starting undergrad onwards and a few minor abstracts published in conference journals. Got waitlisted immediately. I’m a reapplicant too, and it sucks man.

It seems like 507 isn’t cutting it for Wayne now unfortunately. The incoming class average is 510-14, even with a class size of 350 plus. I don’t know how many times you’ve taken the MCAT, but if you study/practice enough and have a 517 plus with a depth of clinical/volunteer hours, you might get another interview (if this was your first time for Wayne).

Third time lol, but I’m so sorry man. It just sucks that the goalposts keeping moving, it’s not like you can take the MCAT an infinite number of times (took mine three times already). I’m just exhuasted.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I just attended the second look event and they said if this is the case to email the financial aid people directly (Adam Zangerle: [email protected]) to let them know and they will update it for you. They said it happens because they received your FAFSA before you were accepted. They also said you should receive the aid offer before April 30th (I don't think transcripts affect it).
Did they say wether or not they’d be awarding anymore scholarships?

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the MCAT in 2019 with a 515 and have a 3.95 cGPA and 3.92 sGPA. Majored in Physiology and Finance and minored in economics. I have over 2000 hours of service from starting undergrad onwards and a few minor abstracts published in conference journals. Got waitlisted immediately. I’m a reapplicant too, and it sucks man.

It seems like 507 isn’t cutting it for Wayne now unfortunately. The incoming class average is 510-14, even with a class size of 350 plus. I don’t know how many times you’ve taken the MCAT, but if you study/practice enough and have a 517 plus with a depth of clinical/volunteer hours, you might get another interview (if this was your first time for Wayne).
I don’t think Wayne cares much about stats! Accepted with lower than a 507. It may be something else maybe in your app? Maybe essays? Not sure

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t think Wayne cares much about stats! Accepted with lower than a 507. It may be something else maybe in your app? Maybe essays? Not sure

Mind if I ask what your experiences area? I feel like my essays were good so I’m not sure what else to improve.

Mind if I ask what your experiences area? I feel like my essays were good so I’m not sure what else to improve.
volunteering and service is very big for them I think. even better if you do it with a specific group of people that are underserved and develop skills specific to working with them

volunteering and service is very big for them I think. even better if you do it with a specific group of people that are underserved and develop skills specific to working with them

Maaan, I spent all spring and summer helping out throughout Detroit with COVID relief efforts and still got rejected early on. I wish there was a way to find out where I went wrong, but their website says they don’t provide post-rejection advising :/

Last edited:
I worked a lot with urban underserved populations. Volunteer EMT for almost 3 years, taught at an inner city school, and specifically stated in my app that I want to work with these populations in the future. Like the comment above said, service is HUGE for them and a general passion for serving the underserved is what I feel they look for.

This is my third time reapplying and unfortunately was rejected back in November.

Can y'all give me some advice on what I can do to improve myself?
Like I feel like I did everything, improved MCAT for 499 to 507, did the post-bacc GPA replacement thing, have good essays, and a lot of experience.

Would love to hear some of y'all's profiles.
I'm just DM you the WAMC.

Does anyone know if the school is giving out laptops or iPads to M1s?

• Hmm
Just got a post-interview rejection off the waitlist. Jeez, this was rough.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ive heard in the past people complain about never hearing anything ever while on the waitlist for Wayne so Im glad they at least seem to be letting people know... not hearing anything since December has been killing me, hope something comes soon

are we expecting any movement after 4/15 or do we think we will have to wait til after 4/30?

• Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
Hey Everyone! Exactly where on Academia are we able to see our financial aid offer?

Hey Everyone! Exactly where on Academia are we able to see our financial aid offer?
The way I do it is I log in and then click on my frequent links > bill/account summary > do the duo push thing > financial aid > financial aid portal > award offer.

Wayne has a class size of roughly 300 students, but there were around 400 participants in the second look day. So I am guessing they over-accepted, and for additional WL movement to occur, 100+ admitted students have to withdraw their offer.

Just withdrew my admission after making one of the hardest choices I’ve ever made! Hope one of you on the WL hears back soon :)

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Wayne has a class size of roughly 300 students, but there were around 400 participants in the second look day. So I am guessing they over-accepted, and for additional WL movement to occur, 100+ admitted students have to withdraw their offer.
That’s way less than I expected tbh, they gave out 675 acceptances and only ~400 (probably less since faculty and students attended like PatchAdams mentioned) attended? Was this year’s second look open to everyone or was it invitation only like last year? If it was open to all, then I think waitlist movement seems more and more plausible

How long after your transcripts were received did you guys wait for them to update your prerequisites? Mine have been incomplete for about a week after transcripts and I'm wondering if I should email them or just give them time.

How long after your transcripts were received did you guys wait for them to update your prerequisites? Mine have been incomplete for about a week after transcripts and I'm wondering if I should email them or just give them time.
i havent even sent in my transcripts but my pre-reqs are updated

That’s way less than I expected tbh, they gave out 675 acceptances and only ~400 (probably less since faculty and students attended like PatchAdams mentioned) attended? Was this year’s second look open to everyone or was it invitation only like last year? If it was open to all, then I think waitlist movement seems more and more plausible
I personally signed up for the second look day and I'm on the WL. I was not able to attend unfortunately, but I did receive the link to join.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
i havent even sent in my transcripts but my pre-reqs are updated
Oh interesting! Thanks for your reply :giggle: So they did this for you without any prompting? I suppose I'll wait until the background check comes through, too, and then contact them about it.

Oh interesting! Thanks for your reply :giggle: So they did this for you without any prompting? I suppose I'll wait until the background check comes through, too, and then contact them about it.
well actually initially they were partially updated. there was like 1 or 2 missing that should've been there. I contacted them and told them the classes that qualified for the missing pre-reqs, and they updated it like a day later

well actually initially they were partially updated. there was like 1 or 2 missing that should've been there. I contacted them and told them the classes that qualified for the missing pre-reqs, and they updated it like a day later
Ah I see. In that case I'll email them! I'm way too anxious about this checklist lol

Yup it was open to all! The RSVP info was available on their events page

Did you send them to [email protected]? If so you should be fine, it took a couple days for mine to get updated.

Mine was like that this morning but just changed to show the award sometime today. Maybe it will be soon!
Did anyone get a substantial award? I’m upset because I have financial need and was only given the Board of Gov grant with a very low amount.

Did anyone get a substantial award? I’m upset because I have financial need and was only given the Board of Gov grant with a very low amount.
I got the second highest amount and was really surprised

• Love
There are guidelines on Wayne’s website about how much you will receive for the BoG scholarship based on your undergraduate loans. If you received the incorrect amount I’d contact the financial aid office. Also, I believe they may be awarding a few mor need based scholarships before the year begins but I’m not 100% sure.

There are guidelines on Wayne’s website about how much you will receive for the BoG scholarship based on your undergraduate loans. If you received the incorrect amount I’d contact the financial aid office. Also, I believe they may be awarding a few mor need based scholarships before the year begins but I’m not 100% sure.
From the 2nd look day breakout meeting, I got the impression that they were done with both merit and need based aid scholarships (discounting BOG for new acceptances). Adam basically said that if you need more aid, then you need to apply for the Grad Plus loan as well.