2020-2021 Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are guidelines on Wayne’s website about how much you will receive for the BoG scholarship based on your undergraduate loans. If you received the incorrect amount I’d contact the financial aid office. Also, I believe they may be awarding a few mor need based scholarships before the year begins but I’m not 100% sure.
I don’t really understand that chart lol I’m waiting for them to get back to me to explain what’s going on

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone get a substantial award? I’m upset because I have financial need and was only given the Board of Gov grant with a very low amount.
me too :( I'm confused about whether they're done with need based scholarships yet. one of the emails said they send another in May but not sure

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
me too :( I'm confused about whether they're done with need based scholarships yet. one of the emails said they send another in May but not sure
They basically said that’s all I’m getting because it’s based on whether or not you got pell grants or loans in college!

Was there anywhere in the background check we needed to specify it be sent to Wayne State or is it automatic? Mine was processed nearly a month ago but still showing incomplete on the portal

Was there anywhere in the background check we needed to specify it be sent to Wayne State or is it automatic? Mine was processed nearly a month ago but still showing incomplete on the portal
They said they only process them once or twice a month so it may take a while to be updated in the portal! I would email them though. I find that when you email them, they tend to update things for you.

I interviewed on 11/16 and 11/19 and heard back on 12/8. I finally got my official letter of offer on 3/26. Based on an email I received today, it looks like 3 MD/PhD applicants (including myself) have accepted positions in the class so far.
Congratulations!!!! hoping to join you soon. Unfortunately have not heard back :////

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone who's currently part of the Wayne Medicine 2025 FB group know how many of the members are actually newly admitted students?

This is my third time reapplying and unfortunately was rejected back in November.

Can y'all give me some advice on what I can do to improve myself?
Like I feel like I did everything, improved MCAT for 499 to 507, did the post-bacc GPA replacement thing, have good essays, and a lot of experience.

Would love to hear some of y'all's profiles.
Look elsewhere! Was accepted to several other schools that were more competitive! Apply broadly and keep your head up! A rejection dosen’t define you!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I heard WSUSOM is moving to more faculty-authored questions for M1 and M2...smh

• Wow
Look elsewhere! Was accepted to several other schools that were more competitive! Apply broadly and keep your head up! A rejection dosen’t define you!

Haha thanks for the encouragement, I have applied elsewhere and did get IIs this cycle (still on waitlists though). Here's to hoping I get off of them, but if not still trying to improve. WSU is literally a ten minute drive from my home and being able to help out the community I grew up is a reason to keep trying honestly. I just wish I -knew- what to improve.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I’m wondering if anyone here knows more about the rumors floating around that Wayne and the DMC have a rocky relationship and may split. Wayne has already lost their partnership with Henry Ford to MSU as of this year, and I’m a little worried about what would happen if there’s any truth to Wayne and DMC ending their partnership too. During the second look day, they didn’t really acknowledge the question (at least in my group). If current students lurking with some insider info would like to chime in, I’d really appreciate it!

This plus me recently finding out that they maintain a class ranking system (I thought it was true pass/fail) doesn't have me super excited about things
I was suspicious about this when I saw that to maintain some of their scholarships you have to stay in the top 50% of the class :/

• Sad
I’m wondering if anyone here knows more about the rumors floating around that Wayne and the DMC have a rocky relationship and may split. Wayne has already lost their partnership with Henry Ford to MSU as of this year, and I’m a little worried about what would happen if there’s any truth to Wayne and DMC ending their partnership too. During the second look day, they didn’t really acknowledge the question (at least in my group). If current students lurking with some insider info would like to chime in, I’d really appreciate it!
What do you mean they lost their relationship with Henry Ford to MSU? I thought students still rotate at Henry Ford.

I work there and it’s really bad XD. You can’t even send emails about the matter. One thing that y’all should know about Wayne State is that they are downplaying the situation but it is in fact really serious. However, students should not worry about the matter. You’ll get your degree just fine. The issue is mostly with people employed throuhh Wayne State but working at dmc. Many were forced to resign and cut ties with wsu and join cmu. Kinda sucks that CMU is now partnered with dmc.

What do you mean they lost their relationship with Henry Ford to MSU? I thought students still rotate at Henry Ford.
Wayne’s been dealing with an ineffective board of elected governors (to say the very least) for years. Since the DMC was bought by a for-profit enterprise based out of Texas years back, they’ve struck deals with Central Michigan and MSUCOM (likely for higher than what Wayne was willing to pay/give benefits).
I work there and it’s really bad XD. You can’t even send emails about the matter. One thing that y’all should know about Wayne State is that they are downplaying the situation but it is in fact really serious. However, students should not worry about the matter. You’ll get your degree just fine. The issue is mostly with people employed throuhh Wayne State but working at dmc. Many were forced to resign and cut ties with wsu and join cmu. Kinda sucks that CMU is now partnered with dmc.
^as someone else who’s been dealing with this, yep that’s basically it.

Do you know how students are affected
Wayne’s been dealing with an ineffective board of elected governors (to say the very least) for years. Since the DMC was bought by a for-profit enterprise based out of Texas years back, they’ve struck deals with Central Michigan and MSUCOM (likely for higher than what Wayne was willing to pay/give benefits).

^as someone else who’s been dealing with this, yep that’s basically it.
How does this whole situation with DMC and Henry Ford affect medical students education? Especially incoming M1s and their future rotations?

Haha thanks for the encouragement, I have applied elsewhere and did get IIs this cycle (still on waitlists though). Here's to hoping I get off of them, but if not still trying to improve. WSU is literally a ten minute drive from my home and being able to help out the community I grew up is a reason to keep trying honestly. I just wish I -knew- what to improve.
I feel you :( hopefully you hear back from the waitlists! Sucks that Wayne has to deny students like us who truly care about this city... Just shows how competitive this thing is becoming.

Thanks for the reply. I did get the impression the situation was being downplayed, but it’s good to know it probably won’t effect students rotating at DMC that much. It’s still disappointing that Wayne seems to be weakening its ties instead of strengthening them though.

Do you know how students are affected

How does this whole situation with DMC and Henry Ford affect medical students education? Especially incoming M1s and their future rotations?
That I can’t tell you but I did notice a massive reduction of Wayne students at DMC doing their rotations while I was stationned at harper and children’s. . It used to be filled with wayne students...there’s way more MSUCOM students nowdays. In addition, I did notice that many wayne students were having trouble getting approved for research opportinities through dmc. Seems like they are giving you guys a harder time to get approved but I see where they are coming from. Many students would get approved for research at dmc for a few months but would keep the perks for their 4 years. (FREE PARKING, FREE 24/7 study rooms, Lounge and total access to the hospital).

But I must warn you guys, this thing going on at Wayne is a ticking time-bomb. Here are a few problems going on right now: Like a previous poster stated the administration is not doing too well. Funds are not being managed properly It seems... It got so bad that the board of governors had an illegal meeting to impeach the president. It failed but still it just show how dysfunctional the board is. Wayne vs DMC is not the only issue. Henry Ford was suppose to be an official affiliate but theypulled the plug. University Peditricians is gonna sue Wayne State again, I don’t remember the reason this time. There’s much more going on behind the scene but as a med students I feel like you are going to be so busy with school and fufilling the community servicesrequirements, that this will eventually tualy just be noise in the background. Regarding rotations, I think you guys should fine. However don’t be suprise if y’all get WAYNE STATED... However one thing that I truly love with this school is how real the people doing
their 9-5 are! You will get to know those people and you’ll end up building a relationship with them. Seems like there’s always free food somewhere and if you get to know the people, they will let you know right away where to find it. So even if the admin might be a little disorganized, the school still rocks.

Last edited:
I’m sure you’ve googled it by now, but MSU CHM and Henry Ford signed a contract for a 30 year academic partnership in January. I do not know if this will affect Wayne med student rotations there in the immediate future because it will probably take some time for MSU and Henry Ford to hash out all the details, but I just thought it was something worth considering. It appears there isn’t much transparency around the whole situation so it’s hard to know the extent of the consequences for future students, if there are any at all.

I’m sure you’ve googled it by now, but MSU CHM and Henry Ford signed a contract for a 30 year academic partnership in January. I do not know if this will affect Wayne med student rotations there in the immediate future because it will probably take some time for MSU and Henry Ford to hash out all the details, but I just thought it was something worth considering. It appears there isn’t much transparency around the whole situation so it’s hard to know the extent of the consequences for future students, if there are any at all.
That’s exactly it... the lack of transparency... no one truly knows whats going on LOL. So don’t bother sending an email to the front desk people cause I can guarantee you that they don’t know either.

Congratulations!!!! hoping to join you soon. Unfortunately have not heard back :////

To update you, I recently received an introductory email connecting me and one other student. So there are still up to 4 spots left in the incoming MD/PhD cohort! Holding out hope for you!

So I received a scholarship at OUWB that makes it about the same price as Wayne, would y’all suggest I go to OUWB over Wayne if I get off Wayne’s waitlist?

Last edited:
So I received a scholarship at OUWB that makes it about the same price as Wayne, would y’all suggest I go to OUWB over Wayne if I get off Wayne’s waitlist?
I think OUWB has their own issues on the thread so I think it rly depends on whether u want small school vs big school and like rural vs. urban medicine etc wayne and ouwb are super different!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm still on Wayne's waitlist, but was thinking if I get off of it, I'd choose it over MSU CHM. Now I'm not so sure.

Why? I thought msuchm was more renowned!
My parents live within 10 miles of the school and my spouse prefers metro Detroit to East Lansing. TBH, I like MSUCHM's curriculum more because there's no block exams, we have a lot of free time, and I prefer the small learning groups to attending lectures.

Long-time lurker that’s part of the waitlist crew as well. Just wanted to say how appreciative I am of this community - it’s been a long journey, but sharing this experience with y’all has brought a surprising amount of laughter and relief in the past few months. If anyone that is still anxiously waiting like me wants to connect and commiserate together, let me know! I wish everyone the best for upcoming WL movement ;)

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Should we expect WL movement at Wayne post May 1st?
Wondering the same. It's been quiet for a while. Based on last year's thread there was very very little movement in April. Most happened mid May, but again we already had a very huge WL movement on April 1st so there might not be much movement if they over-accepted or people didn't have more than one A to choose from. That being said, I hope I am proved wrong.

Reactions: 3 users
Wondering the same. It's been quiet for a while. Based on last year's thread there was very very little movement in April. Most happened mid May, but again we already had a very huge WL movement on April 1st so there might not be much movement if they over-accepted or people didn't have more than one A to choose from. That being said, I hope I am proved wrong.
Sooner they roll them out.. less chances of candidate declining the offer. So from their point of view they should be issuing as soon as any seat become available. Those who are very keen now may not be available very late in the cycle.

Any current students around that I can DM with questions?

Will be withdrawing my acceptance from here before the usual WL movement starts in May. Good luck to everyone here!

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Question for any accepted students or current students that know - Does wayne state send an email about you financial aid offer, or do you have to go into the academia portal to find it

Question for any accepted students or current students that know - Does wayne state send an email about you financial aid offer, or do you have to go into the academia portal to find it
portal. I never got an email. I think someone else in this thread who got a scholarship bigger than the board of governors scholarship got an email though.

I'm a current Wayne State M2. The MSU deal mostly involves an oncology research center and allied health professions. I believe MSU will only be getting like 30 MD/DO clerkship spots, which with Henry Ford's size should not seriously affect WSU. WSU also has secured additional clerkship sites in the area, so there should be enough rotations for everyone.

Those of you who were notified of a scholarship via email - does the amount show up on your Financial Aid portal as well?