2021-2022 Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I feel silly for not checking if they had a twitter. This makes me feel better, and thank you folks for the well wishes!
Oh no, don't feel bad, and in response to your earlier comment I don't think you're being neurotic either. We're all in this together. And to be fair, at least you're not like me and already looking up housing and parking options haha.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Oh no, don't feel bad, and in response to your earlier comment I don't think you're being neurotic either. We're all in this together. And to be fair, at least you're not like me and already looking up housing and parking options haha.
Lol please share anything good options you find im not from Wisconsin so I will be doing the same.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Lol please share anything good options you find im not from Wisconsin so I will be doing the same.
tl ; dr This seems to be the best resource I've found so far, it's basically like any other apartment searcher but it's for Madison specifically and has some cool features..

Before I say anything I should say that everyone I've talked to currently living there says that housing applications for Fall 2022 opened in October of this year.. meaning we're behind.. in fact a lot of the "best places" they told me about are already full. Also, most leases start Aug 16th, and at SMPH I'm pretty sure we would start our "pre-med bootcamp" thing literally 1 or 2 days after that.

More preamble you can feel free to skip... I'm a non-trad and native cheese head. I think one thing people from outside of Wisconsin may be surprised by, specifically those unaware of student culture at places like UW-Madison or other Wisconsin campuses, is how much drinking happens here. 41 of the top 50 drunkest counties in the United States are in Wisconsin, and that culture carries over a lot in college towns, of which Madison and Eau Claire, where I am now, are at the top of those lists. That paints a lot of what I'm going to say, and I understand that I'm the weird one here trying to avoid it. Most people who are going to matriculate will be ~22 and still likely want some of that lifestyle.. you'll have it in spades. That said..

To reiterate: This seems to be the best resource I've found so far, it's basically like any other apartment searcher but it's for Madison specifically and has some cool features.. On advice from folks here I started looking at housing from UW-Madison for grad students specifically. I was almost sold on Eagle Heights until I heard horror stories 1, 2, 3 of things like them using Eagle Heights, a grad/family focused housing development, for things like housing undergrad students with COVID, or the serial sexual assaulter that preyed specifically on the Eagle Heights area for months, etc.

Parking is an entirely other hurdle. You can use the bus lines, specifically the 80,82 routes and if you live within a mile of campus you'll very likely be able to reliably use them to get anywhere you need. There is also the Park and Ride where you park in a couple areas near different parts of campus and you can take a shuttle to campus from that location. The park and ride seems like a great option for people who find housing outside of the bus-lines and/or have a car they need to use (which we will). You buy a specific permit to use the park and ride and from what I have gathered the parking spots aren't assigned but there is ample parking.

I've gotten a bunch more information about which neighborhoods are party central for undergrads, and which neighborhoods tend to be a bit more chill/grown-up, but I haven't been able to parse through it all yet, and frankly I probably won't until I actually hear back about my interview. That said I would be silly not to mention all the new housing developments on the Isthmus. You'll find them in the very first link I showed you, they are around $1200-1500 for a 1-bedroom, some of those include parking and some don't. That price may seem steep, but it's kind of a grim reality of Madison.. compared to the rest of the state, the only place with worse rent prices are parts of Milwaukee.

edit: as an example using the link I showed you, Park Place Apartments is a prime location with good amenities and parking included.. but with the applications being open for 2 months already, all of their studio, 2 bedroom, 3 bedroom, and 4 bedroom units are already taken. And their 1-bedroom units start at $1375. Moving down the line a bit to a place like Kingston Place, the price drops a tiny bit but you forgo having your own laundry units, in-wall PTAC units instead of central air, I see reviews of people on reddit saying the walls are thin, etc.. You get the idea, and if you want to go much further, say below $1,000, then you supply your own AC unit, get no laundry, and have street-parking if you are lucky.. and if you're a non-trad like me who had more than a single room worth of furniture, sacrifices will need to be made.

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Love
Members don't see this ad :)
That actually sounds quite nice.

Is it simply because it looks older that students don't tend to go this route, or is there something else I'm not seeing here in the official info?

Should I extend that search to Harvey Street, or University Housing? Harvey Street looks like it's very close to the western campus, and University Housing up in Eagle Heights also looks like it would be a nice neighborhood.. I'm seeing a pretty large international student footprint for Eagle Heights and a relatively longer distance from the party-scene, might that be swaying people away? Sure does seem like a nice place to me.
Sorry I dropped off the face of the earth over the holidays. I'm not entirely sure about why some people don't like Eagle Heights, I think the age of the units is part of it; because there are a lot of newer, multi-story apartment buildings in the area around campus. There are a lot of foreign graduate students who live here as well, and their families, and its definitely not a party scene type of place. It's not for everyone but it's a good option depending on what is important to you in housing. They do tend to be a bit far from like a grocery store or target, only 5-10 minutes if you have a car, but not as walk or bus (although plenty of other grad students do). So that could be part of it as well. It could also be that you have to apply somewhat promptly to secure a unit and maybe there is limited availability? I don't know much about Harvey Street, and I've only walked/run past University Housing and they seem like bigger units, more like townhouses with two floors, so if you need more space than an apartment they could be good options as well. Haven't really been inside those units though, so I don't know when they were last renovated.

Edit: Long story short, Eagle Heights is a good option to consider, especially if you're in WARM or planning to do TRIUMPH because it's a flexible lease. I moved to Madison and signed a lease unseen so I also liked the flexible lease because I could break it in 3 months if I really hated living here and found something I liked better. I like living here for now and my experience has largely been good, but I also have a car (so free parking is plus and it doesn't matter that I have to drive to get groceries) and living closer to State St/bar scene isn't important to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
II just now! They're offering dates for the end of February.

OOS with no ties

Last edited:
  • Love
II just now! They're offering dates for the end of February.

LizzyM low 70s, OOS with no ties
+1!!! My first II so this is really special! Also OOS with weak/no ties pretty much, complete mid-October
Did either of you receive the email pre- holidays saying that they won't know if they will have an ii spot for you until January?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did either of you receive the email pre- holidays saying that they won't know if they will have an ii spot for you until January?
Yes, but I thought that was just a form email that they sent to everyone.

I received it as well, but I wasn't sure if it was a mass email or a pre-II hold type of email

I received it as well, but I wasn't sure if it was a mass email or a pre-II hold type of email
Mine said I had been reviewed so I think it definitely was a hold. I am just speculating though.

Reactions: 1 user
Did Anyone that interviewed today ask when we should expect to hear back?

I am IS and turned my app in on the first day possible. UW is where I did my under grad and I've had no communication since. Is this a silent rejection at this point?

II yesterday morning. OOS no ties, URM. Seems like a couple of applicants with similar background to mine received a II

• Love
could anyone who has already interviewed speak on their group interview experience? What resources did you use to prepare?

could anyone who has already interviewed speak on their group interview experience? What resources did you use to prepare?
Very relaxed discussion about a prompt. It’s along the lines of Casper. My fellow applicants and the medical students running it were all very nice and easy to communicate with. If you finish early the students will answer any questions you have about the program which was informative and much appreciated. Don’t stress, UWSMPH conducts very professional and welcoming interviews. You’ve got this!

Last edited:
Also received an II on Friday! OOS, went to UW-Madison for undergrad and super excited at the chance to go back to Madison :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Have they been consistent with getting back to people in 6-8 weeks?

Does anyone know if more interview invites are going to be sent out?

On this topic.. anyone know when the next meeting will be?
The November 17-19th interview group hits their 8-week mark this Thursday, but that doesn't account for any time off due to the holidays. I'm waiting for news from December 8-10 interviews, and hope to hear soon. The admissions team told us to expect news in "Late January" for Dec 8-10 interviewees. Y'all please post if you hear anything (w/your interview date) and hang in there! It's so hard to wait but it'll be worth it. : ) Good luck to you all!

• Care
With their system, it seems our interview dates will be reviewed together and hear back at the same time!
Don’t do that. Don’t give me hope.

Lol jk I’m so hoping for this!! Ahhhhh keep the faith everybody!

Lol any chance they finished reviewing applicants early and we hear back this week? 👀

I am IS and turned my app in on the first day possible. UW is where I did my under grad and I've had no communication since. Is this a silent rejection at this point?
I'm not sure. At this point, I am wondering if I should prepare for a reapplication!

II received today, IS. Never received the holiday email so for those that are holding on for dear life there is still hope!!!

• Love
Hi all! Do we get to know who our faculty interviewer is prior to the interview?

Very relaxed discussion about a prompt. It’s along the lines of Casper. My fellow applicants and the medical students running it were all very nice and easy to communicate with. If you finish early the students will answer any questions you have about the program which was informative and much appreciated. Don’t stress, UWSMPH conducts very professional and welcoming interviews. You’ve got this!
+1, group interview was super cooperative, and the students running it were very nice.
Hi all! Do we get to know who our faculty interviewer is prior to the interview?
I did not find out at all prior to my interview. My interviewer logged on and started with very casual conversation about their pets so I was a little confused. There isn't a coordinator, afaik, for the faculty interview, so whoever joins you on the Webex is the interviewer lol. As you can guess, my faculty interview was aggressively conversational. I think we got 15 minutes in before they read a question off the list.

UWSMPH is such a great school, I'm going to have such a hard time being patient for the next few weeks!

• Love
do you guys think it's a bad idea to call them if it has been over 8 weeks?

do you guys think it's a bad idea to call them if it has been over 8 weeks?
Their website specifically says to reach out to them if it has been more than 8 weeks, so I plan to do that if it becomes the case. If you do, please share what you learn if you can!

I am also sitting at the 8 week mark wondering if I should reach out…. let me know if you decide to and what you hear!
From their Twitter this morning: “We know that those of you who interviewed in November are waiting to hear from us. We are on target to release our first decisions since December next week. Hang on a bit longer.”

Guess we are all hearing back together!

• Love