2020-2021 Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am also a reapplicant but first-time applicant to Wisconsin. I haven't submitted yet, but did your secondary include the required reapplicant essay even though it's your first Wisconsin application?
I did not fill out the reapplicant essay since it’s my first time applying to Wisconsin

Members don't see this ad.

The prompt is "Individuals who are reapplying are required to submit a statement indicating what has changed since the previous application to the UW School of Medicine and Public Health MD or MD/PhD program (e.g., additional academic work, new letters of recommendation, work and volunteer experience, life changes, etc.). Please limit your response to 500 words."

So if you didn't apply to Wisconsin previously it doesn't seem to apply to you
so did it allow you to submit without writing that essay?

I am claiming residency so I can't submit until August 16. But I just clicked next on the section without filling anything in and it marked it as completed, so I would imagine so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if I should update the adcom my new job position at UW Madison even though I am OOS? or How does everyone think if informing them about my new position would affect my chance? Thank you!

Does anyone know if I should update the adcom my new job position at UW Madison even though I am OOS? or How does everyone think if informing them about my new position would affect my chance? Thank you!
they don't accept updates

Could any current students be available to answer these questions?

1. What is your typical weekly schedule like? In a given week, how many times are you required to attend events like PBL / lab? I'm assuming that lecture attendance is not mandatory, and that they are recorded and posted (?) Woulda appreciate any and all thoughts on the curriculum.

2. What do you think about Madison? I heard there's bad traffic lol. Truly how bad is the winter?

3. Any thoughts on the facilities for the school (preclinical) or affiliated hospitals?

I'm not a current student, but work in the emergency department at UW! Traffic is really not that bad. At worst it can take 20 minutes to get all the way through campus, but very rarely takes that long! Winter is.... tough. If you're used to snow, you'll be fine. I would say it's similar to winters on the east coast, like Boston. Madison is a really unique, fun city. There's tons to do and a lot of local events like farmers markets and art sales. From what I know about the school from the docs I work with and friends who go there, it seems very collaborative! Everyone seems to be in it together. The med school is also a bit offset from the rest of the university, which I like!

Reactions: 1 user
I am an IS applicant, and I am wondering what I should put for the optional essay. Not sure if I should do a "Why Wisconsin" essay or use it as a "Diversity" essay. Any thoughts?

I am an IS applicant, and I am wondering what I should put for the optional essay. Not sure if I should do a "Why Wisconsin" essay or use it as a "Diversity" essay. Any thoughts?

why Wisconsin unless your diversity is really good. IS ties > token diversity. Although UW most likely has a smaller proportion of URM students, so if you consider yourself one I would mention it but still focus on why Wisconsin.

why Wisconsin unless your diversity is really good. IS ties > token diversity. Although UW most likely has a smaller proportion of URM students, so if you consider yourself one I would mention it but still focus on why Wisconsin.

Yea that makes sense. Thanks for the insight!

Today 8/16 is the first day IS Applicants can submit! Got my complete email within seconds of submitting.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Today 8/16 is the first day IS Applicants can submit! Got my complete email within seconds of submitting.
I made questionable choices and submitted around 12:30AM for some reason, but yes we IS people can be complete now!!

Just went complete today! IS resident, alumni, and current employee, and Wisconsin is definitely a top choice! Good luck everyone

Did you all get a 'complete' email or just all checks in your status?

I got a complete email minutes after submitting.
I received an email saying “This message confirms that the University of Wisconsin - Madison MD Admissions Office has received the Secondary Application that you submitted to us electronically. “ but not that my whole application was complete. Did you get 2 emails?

I received an email saying “This message confirms that the University of Wisconsin - Madison MD Admissions Office has received the Secondary Application that you submitted to us electronically. “ but not that my whole application was complete. Did you get 2 emails?
I did yes, I got that first email you mentioned and then the complete email within a minute of each other.

Reactions: 1 users

1. What is your typical weekly schedule like? In a given week, how many times are you required to attend events like PBL / lab? I'm assuming that lecture attendance is not mandatory, and that they are recorded and posted (?) Woulda appreciate any and all thoughts on the curriculum.

2. What do you think about Madison? I heard there's bad traffic lol. Truly how bad is the winter?

3. Any thoughts on the facilities for the school (preclinical) or affiliated hospitals?
I'm not a current student (applying this year) but I am a lifelong Wisconsin resident and currently live in Madison. I love Madison! There is always something to do and we have beautiful lakes. Winter sucks. 23 years of living here and I'm still not used to it. BUT, us Wisconsinites are used to snow storms so the plows are out very quickly. Traffic isn't awful, I think Milwaukee is worse than Madison but also there's tons of housing downtown near campus so you might not even need to drive much at all.

Both optional:

1. In a paragraph (200-300 words), please share how COVID-19 impacted your application in the following domains:
  • Academic
  • Volunteer
  • Research
  • Work
  • Personal Life
Topics to address might include the public health lessons and health care insights learned from the pandemic, creative ways in which you were able to serve your community during the crisis, or any hardships (economic, health, or other) you faced due to the virus or its mitigation efforts (e.g. social distancing, quarantine).

2. The Admissions Committee takes many factors into consideration when reviewing your application. A successful applicant is frequently one who communicates what makes them exceptional and why they will become an outstanding physician. You are invited but not required to provide additional information in this essay. Some applicants tell us about hardships and challenges that they have faced in their lives and how these experiences have helped them become caring and compassionate individuals. Other applicants use this space to emphasize a particular passion they have related to their future career in medicine. If you are not a resident of Wisconsin, you may want to tell us why you are interested in the University of Wisconsin or about a special connection that you may have to our state or people who live here. Our goal is to gain insight into you as a unique applicant. You may include anything in this essay that you feel is relevant. (Limit response to 500 words.)

Reapplicants:

Individuals who are reapplying are required to submit a statement indicating what has changed since the previous application to the UW School of Medicine and Public Health MD or MD/PhD program (e.g., additional academic work, new letters of recommendation, work and volunteer experience, life changes, etc.). Please limit your response to 500 words.

With the way the COVID question is worded, it sounds like we can either talk about the impact it had on us or how we observed it changed the field of medicine, right? So two different ways to answer the prompt? I'm basing this off of what you included in italics

With the way the COVID question is worded, it sounds like we can either talk about the impact it had on us or how we observed it changed the field of medicine, right? So two different ways to answer the prompt? I'm basing this off of what you included in italics
Yes, I would agree, that's what I did atleast!

Yep! Seems to be whatever you make of it. If COVID had major impacts on you/your application that is probably most important to include, but other perspectives are welcome too!

Just got an email to expect a VITA invite this Thursday. They are clear that this is not a II but a mid way step to a II lol.
MSTP, 3.99/526, OOS, complete 07/16

Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone applying for regular MD get a VITA invite too?

From today's group email...

"Good afternoon [Redacted],

Thank you for your continued interest in MCW Medical School! We are emailing today with a brief update to kick off the 2021 application cycle.

We recently welcomed the incoming class of 2020 to campus, and we are already looking forward to meeting the incoming class of 2021! We have been reviewing this cycle’s applications and just began extending invitations to interview. If you are selected for an interview invitation, you will receive communication via email. If you are not selected for an interview, you will receive a notification of that once all interview days are complete. We do not utilize “silent rejections.”

We very much appreciate your patience as we take the time to complete thorough, holistic reviews, and as we all adjust to a cycle of virtual interviews. It’s common for the review process to take at least a few months after your application is fully complete.

We can confirm that you have a completed application, and you can find more detailed information about that through the “Status” section of your secondary application portal. However, we cannot provide any individualized status updates, nor can we elaborate on where exactly your application is within the review process or your likelihood of receiving an interview invitation.

Throughout the cycle, you are welcome to upload any updates or additional documents directly to your secondary application portal. This can be done using the “Document Upload” section. Portal uploads will be reviewed with the rest of your application materials when applicable.

If at any point in the cycle you are no longer interested in MCW, you may withdraw your application using the “Status” section of your secondary application portal.

Thank you again, and please contact our office with any questions!

Sincerely,

Alexis C. Meyer
Director of Recruitment and Admissions
MCW Medical School"
This page is for UW Madison, not MCW :) Just wanted to let you know! But I definitely got my hopes up when the email came in lol

From today's group email...

"Good afternoon [Redacted],

Thank you for your continued interest in MCW Medical School! We are emailing today with a brief update to kick off the 2021 application cycle.

We recently welcomed the incoming class of 2020 to campus, and we are already looking forward to meeting the incoming class of 2021! We have been reviewing this cycle’s applications and just began extending invitations to interview. If you are selected for an interview invitation, you will receive communication via email. If you are not selected for an interview, you will receive a notification of that once all interview days are complete. We do not utilize “silent rejections.”

We very much appreciate your patience as we take the time to complete thorough, holistic reviews, and as we all adjust to a cycle of virtual interviews. It’s common for the review process to take at least a few months after your application is fully complete.

We can confirm that you have a completed application, and you can find more detailed information about that through the “Status” section of your secondary application portal. However, we cannot provide any individualized status updates, nor can we elaborate on where exactly your application is within the review process or your likelihood of receiving an interview invitation.

Throughout the cycle, you are welcome to upload any updates or additional documents directly to your secondary application portal. This can be done using the “Document Upload” section. Portal uploads will be reviewed with the rest of your application materials when applicable.

If at any point in the cycle you are no longer interested in MCW, you may withdraw your application using the “Status” section of your secondary application portal.

Thank you again, and please contact our office with any questions!

Sincerely,

Alexis C. Meyer
Director of Recruitment and Admissions
MCW Medical School"
thanks! but this is the thread for Wisconsin - Madison!

Has anyone who did VITA (and of course got an invite from UW) gotten a "real" II?

Has anyone who did VITA (and of course got an invite from UW) gotten a "real" II?
Nope! But yesterday was the first day you could even submit it (HireVue only sends invites on Thursdays)! I submitted mine first thing yesterday so hopeful that I will hear back soon!

Oop got my rejection to their MSTP today (´。_。`) Complete 7/28, stats in signature! Good luck to everyone this cycle!!

• Care
Hey guys sorry I am late but I wanted to see where I stand in the admissions process. I am an OOS applicant that was verified on 7/17 and still have not received a secondary yet. I am not sure how UW reviews their applicants but should I be worried?

Hey guys sorry I am late but I wanted to see where I stand in the admissions process. I am an OOS applicant that was verified on 7/17 and still have not received a secondary yet. I am not sure how UW reviews their applicants but should I be worried?
+1

how OOS friendly is this school? coming from CA
First time applicant and OOS here as well. According to MSAR, they matriculate 119 IS and 59 OOS (33%) with the average OOS MCAT and GPA of 513 and 3.77, respectively.
Hopefully it is friendly enough to give us A lol.

Current M2, I answered some questions earlier in the year and included my schedule in this post. See below as I think it might help to answer some questions. I would modify to add that we now do have Exam review as I had suspected. Otherwise, I think most of the post still holds true.

Q1 - Please check the post above for a random sampling of a Phase 1 week. Lecture attendance was NOT mandatory before the pandemic. As it stands, most content has an online option, and a few things are being done in person. The situation is very dynamic though, as the pandemic itself is a rapidly evolving situation. What is true today might not be true tomorrow!
But you can still bank on the fact that there is a repertoire of recorded lectures from all the previous years that you can watch. Some lectures are also being made fresh, and there are live sessions that you can do online, some required and others not depending on the activity. Again, the school is adapting to the COVID situation, and it is difficult to give any hard and fast rules right now.

Q2- The winters here are horrible; I will be honest. I think that will be true for most of the midwest but yes, definitely bring a lot of warm clothing. My friends from the coasts adjusted quickly, but they experienced temperatures they had never imagined possible. So again, be prepared for that. Traffic can be bad around the undergraduate campus, but the Medical school is a little removed from the undergraduate campus. Unless you are making a long commute, or if you are travelling around Badger game day, then this usually isn't as much of an issue. Most students choose to live close to the Medical school campus.

Q3 - I think the Health Sciences Learning Center (HSLC) is one of my favorite aspects of the school. The study space is expansive, and there is a lot of lighting and windows if you need to see the world outside. That is where we do all our required activities, and so it would have been nice to visit if it weren't for the pandemic. I do not know what they intend to do for you all. Perhaps a virtual tour? Not sure! Just trust me on this one. It is a beautiful building.

R just now. Complete 7/16
2 rejections in one day! Bring it at me, let's go for a record.

Does anyone know if they have even started sending IIs to regular MD?

First R just now, MD/MPH OOS with ties, LM 69. On the same day as my first II haha

R here also, OOS with no ties, LM 74, complete on 7/20. Good luck to the rest of y'all!

I guess you win some/lose some, but congrats on the II! I'm sure you'll kill it and get the A. Would you mind sharing when you were complete?
I'm just grateful for the communication tbh, and thank you so much you are too kind!! Sure thing, I was complete at UW on 7/15