You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021-2022 Dartmouth (Geisel)
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Froggmanns
Full Member
Pre-II R this morning
D
deleted1022805
Complete date?Pre-II R this morning
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I submitted my application on 9/30 and have not heard anything back yet...any chance they haven't even seen my app yet?
There was someone who got an II and completed it in October. So they def saw your app. You and the rest of us in the running are prolly in the endless cycle of holds until they finally decide to interview or rejectI submitted my application on 9/30 and have not heard anything back yet...any chance they haven't even seen my app yet?
brainperson1
Full Member
Question - Does Geisel have an official abbreviation? Like GSOM, or DGSOM? The school does not come up when I look up these abbreviations.
212kindofgal
Full Member
GeiselQuestion - Does Geisel have an official abbreviation? Like GSOM, or DGSOM? The school does not come up when I look up these abbreviations.
same, I really love this school so it's roughStill haven't heard anything - submitted mid August... wondering if they've even seen my app yet
sad about silence but happy to be avoiding these R waves?
schools don't necessarily review in chronological order, they def pick out certain apps to review first.There was someone who got an II and completed it in October. So they def saw your app. You and the rest of us in the running are prolly in the endless cycle of holds until they finally decide to interview or reject
It could be that the apps have been reviewed and put on hold or it could be that they haven't been fully reviewed yet
midwestcoldbrew
New Member
Hey Everyone! This has been my dream school for a few years, and like so many of you, I have been waiting for many many months on their review of my application and almost all of my other schools as I am still waiting in the dark for an interview. I just wanted to come on here to say that I am proud of all of your accomplishments. They are all worthy of high praise and distinction and I have not even met any of you. I have learned how degrading this process is waiting on others to judge the past several years of your endeavors and I just want to recognize all of you people out there still waiting. Your accomplishments are still impactful! We all just need to keep looking forward to the day when we will be impactful medical leaders! 🙂
wormofsecrets
Full Member
Withdrew! Good luck to everyone else hope my interview spot goes to one of y’all!
brainperson1
Full Member
Thank you for giving such an inspiring and kind message! I wish you the best of luck!Hey Everyone! This has been my dream school for a few years, and like so many of you, I have been waiting for many many months on their review of my application and almost all of my other schools as I am still waiting in the dark for an interview. I just wanted to come on here to say that I am proud of all of your accomplishments. They are all worthy of high praise and distinction and I have not even met any of you. I have learned how degrading this process is waiting on others to judge the past several years of your endeavors and I just want to recognize all of you people out there still waiting. Your accomplishments are still impactful! We all just need to keep looking forward to the day when we will be impactful medical leaders! 🙂
chefcookie
Full Member
this is so sweet <3 we love you midwestcoldbrew
Hey Everyone! This has been my dream school for a few years, and like so many of you, I have been waiting for many many months on their review of my application and almost all of my other schools as I am still waiting in the dark for an interview. I just wanted to come on here to say that I am proud of all of your accomplishments. They are all worthy of high praise and distinction and I have not even met any of you. I have learned how degrading this process is waiting on others to judge the past several years of your endeavors and I just want to recognize all of you people out there still waiting. Your accomplishments are still impactful! We all just need to keep looking forward to the day when we will be impactful medical leaders! 🙂
fafobasquiat
Full Member
Just got the A... interviewed late September so I was starting to lose hope on this one
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
medshark123
Full Member
Did you send any update letter?
Just got the A... interviewed late September so I was starting to lose hope on this on
fafobasquiat
Full Member
Nah, it was on my to do list at some point but I honestly forgot to do so. I just sent a quick thank you directly to both interviewers a couple of days afterDid you send any update letter?
212kindofgal
Full Member
Did your interviewers respond to your thank you emails?Nah, it was on my to do list at some point but I honestly forgot to do so. I just sent a quick thank you directly to both interviewers a couple of days after
A received by email!!!! Interviewed mid-November
Stats? That’s a super quick turn aroundI just received an II!!!
Complete 12/1.
D
deleted933629
LizzyM of 73. Higher GPA and lower MCATStats? That’s a super quick turn around
D
deleted1022805
Do you think it would be ok to upload a letter of interest if pre-ii?
I did, and I got an email back letting me know they got it so I’m sure it’s fineDo you think it would be ok to upload a letter of interest if pre-ii?
D
deleted1022805
No I meant like do they actually consider it? Or does anyone know if it could “boost” the consideration for interview?I did, and I got an email back letting me know they got it so I’m sure it’s fine
12/1 literally whatI just received an II!!!
Complete 12/1.
anyways gl
D
deleted933629
Every piece of advice about stats mattering and turning in applications early I’ve heard on SDN is total GARBAGE.
That is aggressively poor advice. Just because you have found great success applying late without 3.9x/52x stats does not mean that stats don’t matter or that applying late isn’t detrimental to an applicant’s success. I’m not sure whether you are URM or not, but if so, that certainly plays into how your application is reviewed. Please refrain from making rash generalizations based on your success.Every piece of advice about stats mattering and turning in applications early I’ve heard on SDN is total GARBAGE.
D
deleted933629
That is aggressively poor advice. Just because you have found great success applying late without 3.9x/52x stats does not mean that stats don’t matter or that applying late isn’t detrimental to an applicant’s success. I’m not sure whether you are URM or not, but if so, that certainly plays into how your application is reviewed. Please refrain from making rash generalizations based on your success.
I wasn’t giving anyone advice. I was talking about my experiences.
But if you want my unqualified opinion...
I think that if a med school really wants you, it won’t matter when you apply or what your stats are. They’re gonna give you an interview.
I applied very late. My secondaries were submitted from early September to early December. So far I’ve gotten 5 IIs. 4 IIs this month. I expect more very soon and later in the cycle since I applied late but I feel like if a school wanted me early in the cycle, they would want me later as well. Three of my IIs so far were secondaries I submitted on the final secondary deadline-two of which are Top 5 schools and now Dartmouth. My stats are okay but not amazing. I’m part urm but part orm and my name sounds very typical for an ORM so some adcoms may have glossed over my race.
I think I may have communicated my story well and in a non-hasty way. If that means that I was done with my primary in August rather than June, I think I made the right choice since it was way stronger and more polished in August than it would have been in June.
Maybe it can’t be generalized to every single student but I’m airing this out because of how terrible I felt as I was churning out secondaries in October and November when everyone on this website was saying that submitting then was useless and an auto rejection and how I committed some grave sin that would keep me from getting into med school. I’m taking that power back and no one is gonna stop me from doing so.
Anyways, can anyone tell me about the interviews? I know there are two traditional interviews. Are they pretty laidback like the ones I’ve been on? Hopefully no stress interviews?
Last edited by a moderator:
atryingpremed
Full Member
They are awesome, most laidback and enjoyable interviews I have hadI wasn’t giving anyone advice. I was talking about my experiences.
But if you want my unqualified opinion...
I think that if a med school really wants you, it won’t matter when you apply or what your stats are. They’re gonna give you an interview.
I applied very late. My secondaries were submitted from early September to early December. So far I’ve gotten 5 IIs. 4 IIs this month. I expect more very soon and later in the cycle since I applied late but I feel like if a school wanted me early in the cycle, they would want me later as well. Three of my IIs so far were secondaries I submitted on the final secondary deadline-two of which are Top 5 schools and now Dartmouth. My stats are okay but not amazing. I’m part urm but part orm and my name sounds very typical for an ORM so some adcoms may have glossed over my race.
I think I may have communicated my story well and in a non-hasty way. If that means that I was done with my primary in August rather than June, I think I made the right choice since it was way stronger and more polished in August than it would have been in June.
Maybe it can’t be generalized to every single student but I’m airing this out because of how terrible I felt as I was churning out secondaries in October and November when everyone on this website was saying that submitting then was useless and an auto rejection and how I committed some grave sin that would keep me from getting into med school. I’m taking that power back and no one is gonna stop me from doing so.
Anyways, can anyone tell me about the interviews? I know there are two traditional interviews. Are they pretty laidback like the ones I’ve been on? Hopefully no stress interviews?
212kindofgal
Full Member
+2 both interviewers were super chill and they just really wanted to get to know me as a personThey are awesome, most laidback and enjoyable interviews I have had
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted933629
Also, I know things might be confidential but how was that group exercise thing? It seems a little intimidating since I don’t think I’ve done anything like it.
student306
Full Member
Pre ii! I submitted an update last week lmao I was complete since like July. I’m oos low stats thoug
stats if you dont mind me asking?Pre ii! I submitted an update last week lmao I was complete since like July. I’m oos low stats though
Agreed!They are awesome, most laidback and enjoyable interviews I have had
Don’t worry yourself about it! It was just a fun little group activity. Not allowed to share details, but honestly they wouldn’t help you even if we could. It’s just about working together in a laidback exercise.Also, I know things might be confidential but how was that group exercise thing? It seems a little intimidating since I don’t think I’ve done anything like it.
D
deleted1022805
I uploaded mineIf we send an update letter pre-II do we upload it to the portal or email it to them directly?
honeydew_honey
Full Member
Do we think there will be any updates today, given it's NYE?
212kindofgal
Full Member
I doubt itDo we think there will be any updates today, given it's NYE?
Stats ?II today! complete early august
52X mcat, 3.8X gpaStats ?
+1, complete early SeptemberII today! complete early august
D
deleted1022805
Stats?+1, complete early September
"If a med school REALLY wants you..." where those schools at 😂I wasn’t giving anyone advice. I was talking about my experiences.
But if you want my unqualified opinion...
I think that if a med school really wants you, it won’t matter when you apply or what your stats are. They’re gonna give you an interview.
I applied very late. My secondaries were submitted from early September to early December. So far I’ve gotten 5 IIs. 4 IIs this month. I expect more very soon and later in the cycle since I applied late but I feel like if a school wanted me early in the cycle, they would want me later as well. Three of my IIs so far were secondaries I submitted on the final secondary deadline-two of which are Top 5 schools and now Dartmouth. My stats are okay but not amazing. I’m part urm but part orm and my name sounds very typical for an ORM so some adcoms may have glossed over my race.
I think I may have communicated my story well and in a non-hasty way. If that means that I was done with my primary in August rather than June, I think I made the right choice since it was way stronger and more polished in August than it would have been in June.
Maybe it can’t be generalized to every single student but I’m airing this out because of how terrible I felt as I was churning out secondaries in October and November when everyone on this website was saying that submitting then was useless and an auto rejection and how I committed some grave sin that would keep me from getting into med school. I’m taking that power back and no one is gonna stop me from doing so.
Anyways, can anyone tell me about the interviews? I know there are two traditional interviews. Are they pretty laidback like the ones I’ve been on? Hopefully no stress interviews?
D
deleted933629
I’m sure they exist. I just wish people would stop thinking of this thing as a game to win and just be themselves."If a med school REALLY wants you..." where those schools at 😂
Also I got a sixth II yesterday at a school I submitted my secondary for in the middle of October. It had a really long biographical essay that I recycled for one of Dartmouth’s prompts.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mind sharing the complete date?pre-II R just now
You mind sharing stats ?Pre II R, OOS, complete mid-August.
Good luck everyone!