Quantcast

2021-2022 Geisinger Commonwealth

Clinical Shadowing Summer '22 Programs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Thank you to @sweatysweetpotato79 for sharing this year's questions! **If anyone discovers a word limit for these, post it & we'll update**

2021-2022 Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine Secondary Essay Prompts:

1a. Given Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine's unique mission and values, please tell us why you believe you are a good fit for our institution.
    2. List the five most important attributes you believe a physician should possess. Please choose one that you believe you embody and describe a personal experience that demonstrates this trait.
    3. Geisinger Commonwealth values diversity and is committed to maintaining an inclusive environment. How will you contribute to our commitment to diversity, social justice, equity, and inclusion?
    4. If you have previously applied to Geisinger Commonwealth's Doctor of Medicine program, please describe your significant experiences between this year's application and your previous application.

If you are not a previous applicant, please type, "N/A" in the response area.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Last edited by a moderator:

sweatysweetpotato79

Reaction score
    Assuming this is Geisinger, I just received secondary today (OOS).

Questions are the same as last year, although the character count is not specified.

1a. Given Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine's unique mission and values, please tell us why you believe you are a good fit for our institution.
    2. List the five most important attributes you believe a physician should possess. Please choose one that you believe you embody and describe a personal experience that demonstrates this trait.
    3. Geisinger Commonwealth values diversity and is committed to maintaining an inclusive environment. How will you contribute to our commitment to diversity, social justice, equity, and inclusion?
    4. If you have previously applied to Geisinger Commonwealth's Doctor of Medicine program, please describe your significant experiences between this year's application and your previous application.

If you are not a previous applicant, please type, "N/A" in the response area.

Reactions: 1 users

climbermd

Reaction score
    Does anyone know how many spots are available for the Scholars Program? Are they mostly for PA applicants?

Ultravox Vienna

MD '26
    2+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Does anyone know how many spots are available for the Scholars Program? Are they mostly for PA applicants?
    Not sure about the # of spots but one of their selection criteria is the likelihood of staying at Geisinger beyond service obligation. So I would imagine applicants who have strong ties to the Scranton region would have an upper hand compared to someone from other parts of PA or another state entirely.

TuckGamePerfect

Reaction score
    The lack of restriction on words/characters makes these essays super hard to gauge. Anyone willing to share a rough estimate of their word/character count for these essays? My current word count range is 150-250, curious if I should be adding more.

Ultravox Vienna

MD '26
    2+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    The lack of restriction on words/characters makes these essays super hard to gauge. Anyone willing to share a rough estimate of their word/character count for these essays? My current word count range is 150-250, curious if I should be adding more.
    ~200-300

Reactions: 1 user

perpetua11yconfused

2+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Does anyone know if they take AP credit for prereqs or writing intensives for the English requirement?

mywayhighway59

Reaction score
    Can I petition to change the name of this thread to Geisinger? I couldn't find this thread for days and thought it didn't exist.

• Haha
    Reactions: 6 users

RamsUp

2+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Brace yourselves, SJT comments are coming. (76 percentile btw)

jack326

Reaction score
    Are you guys taking the SJT even though it’s recommended only?

Ultravox Vienna

MD '26
    2+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Are you guys taking the SJT even though it’s recommended only?

Yes. You should take it too. Geisinger “strongly” encourages us to take it. Definitely take the sample and read the answer explanations beforehand!

Reactions: 3 users

hannmarden

Reaction score
    For this prompt: 2. List the five most important attributes you believe a physician should possess. Please choose one that you believe you embody and describe a personal experience that demonstrates this trait.

Are student really listing the attributes or doing a list plus a bit of description (perhaps about a sentence)? Since they specifically say list, I am inclined to do as they ask.

Thanks!

RamsUp

2+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    For this prompt: 2. List the five most important attributes you believe a physician should possess. Please choose one that you believe you embody and describe a personal experience that demonstrates this trait.

Are student really listing the attributes or doing a list plus a bit of description (perhaps about a sentence)? Since they specifically say list, I am inclined to do as they ask.

Thanks!
    I listed in sentence form. I think bulleted lists look bad lol.

seanm028

Dulling Occam's Razor
    5+ Year Member
    Reaction score

Thanks!
    I did paragraph 1: list them all (in paragraph form); paragraph 2: give examples of why I think each is important.

effectedtag

5+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Is it too late to take SJT? I am thinking of just submitting without since it is only "strongly recommended". At this point seems like data collection.

edit: next SJT test is September 16th at the earliest. I guess I shouldn't have cancelled my July 16th date.

Ultravox Vienna

MD '26
    2+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Is it too late to take SJT? I am thinking of just submitting without since it is only "strongly recommended". At this point seems like data collection.

edit: next SJT test is September 16th at the earliest. I guess I shouldn't have cancelled my July 16th date.
    no, you should still take it if you're strongly considering Geisinger. It won't delay your app review

Dr. Baby_Keem

Reaction score
    I am taking my SJT on August 3rd but I might submit my application before that date. Should I wait to submit my secondary application or will they know I have an SJT score pending for them?

r62626

Reaction score
    So the consensus is there’s no max word limit? Looks like last year was 1500 characters but they must of changed it.

S_DeVore

2+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Just received an II: I was complete on 7/6! I also haven't even taken my SJT yet, so I was surprised. OOS.

• Love
    Reactions: 2 users

Dobermann

Am I a doctor yet?
    2+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    +1 II received today 8/2. I was complete 7/24. IS.

• Love

TuckGamePerfect

Reaction score
    II today 8/2, IS complete on 7/15 and not planning on taking SJT

• Love
    • Care

iceman579

Reaction score
    II today! IS, LM 74, complete on 7/2, took SJT 7/15

• Love

soggymoo

Reaction score
    II today! OOS. Haven't done the SJT, should I still bother?
    Also, I don't see an option to choose a date under the "interview" tab. Just "living in scranton" and "sample schedule", anyone else?

Last edited:
    • Love

iceman579

Reaction score
    II today! Haven't done the SJT, should I still bother?
    Also, I don't see an option to choose a date under the "interview" tab. Just "living in scranton" and "sample schedule", anyone else?
    Congrats! Once you click the "Interview" tab you'll see a calendar. You have to scroll to September or October to see dates, and then you click on the date you want.

nuggeti0i

2+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Secondary submitted 7/19; marked complete same day

lostmed

2+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    II received today 8/4!!!
    Complete 7/13!!

• Love
    Reactions: 5 users

mywayhighway59

Reaction score
    I just saw on the MSAR page for Geisinger that we only have 2 weeks to accept/reject an offer after we are accepted. How the heck does that work, especially since they start giving offers in Oct/Nov? In all likelihood, I may not even have received interview for other schools all the way into December and January, so obviously I can't make a decision on Geisinger too soon. Should we schedule interview dates later in the cycle as to avoid getting offers too early? I'm just really confused why this is a policy. It's actually kind of infuriating if this is how it works.

wysdoc

Administrator
    Volunteer Staff
    Lifetime Donor
    5+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    I just saw on the MSAR page for Geisinger that we only have 2 weeks to accept/reject an offer after we are accepted. How the heck does that work, especially since they start giving offers in Oct/Nov? In all likelihood, I may not even have received interview for other schools all the way into December and January, so obviously I can't make a decision on Geisinger too soon. Should we schedule interview dates later in the cycle as to avoid getting offers too early? I'm just really confused why this is a policy. It's actually kind of infuriating if this is how it works.
    for AMCAS schools, you are allowed to accept and hold on to more than one offer, all the way until April 2022.

Now if you are lucky enough, as time goes on, to get quite a few offers and there are some you absolutely prefer over others, it is considerate to contact the schools lower in your priorities and let them know you are withdrawing from your spot.

Refer to AMCAS PTE and CTE information to see the rules and dates by which you need to narrow your schools down to 3, and then to 1.

mywayhighway59

Reaction score
    for AMCAS schools, you are allowed to accept and hold on to more than one offer, all the way until April 2022.

Now if you are lucky enough, as time goes on, to get quite a few offers and there are some you absolutely prefer over others, it is considerate to contact the schools lower in your priorities and let them know you are withdrawing from your spot.

Refer to AMCAS PTE and CTE information to see the rules and dates by which you need to narrow your schools down to 3, and then to 1.
    Thank you for clarifying. That makes a lot more sense. I just read about the acceptances policy.

nuggeti0i

2+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Thank you for clarifying. That makes a lot more sense. I just read about the acceptances policy.
    It’s a money racket. Schools make you accept early so you have to pay the 1200 holding fee while you wait through the season to actually know where you are going

lostmed

2+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    It’s a money racket. Schools make you accept early so you have to pay the 1200 holding fee while you wait through the season to actually know where you are going
    Isn't that for DO though and not MD? That was the main reason I ended up not applying DO because I couldn't afford it.

I think MD tends to be like $100 and I am not entirely sure if that is when you accept it or if it's when you CTE. Please correct me if I am wrong!

wysdoc

Administrator
    Volunteer Staff
    Lifetime Donor
    5+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Isn't that for DO though and not MD? That was the main reason I ended up not applying DO because I couldn't afford it.

I think MD tends to be like $100 and I am not entirely sure if that is when you accept it or if it's when you CTE. Please correct me if I am wrong!
    Most MD schools have a small deposit or none

wanttobeamd22

Reaction score
    I signed up for the SJT but now want to cancel it. Do any schools see that I signed up and now am cancelling it?

KooCie Doctor

Reaction score
    Hello all! Is anyone having trouble getting their SJT results to this school? I added this school to my list after my SJT and although I filled several authorization forms to release the score to this Geisinger, they said they still have not received it.