2021-2022 Geisinger Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi! I’m an M1 at GCSOM. They have changed the process a little bit for this incoming class and are going to do your placements during orientation (ours were this spring). We got to vote whether we wanted a random lottery or ranked lottery and ended up with a ranked lottery. My guess is that yours will just be random but you are able to switch with people and generally majority ends up where they want to be. you’re also able to submit a form for extenuating circumstance that requires you to be at a certain campus. Hope that was helpful!
Hi! Glad we'll know in advance! Is white coat ceremony typically Friday of orientation week? I didn't see a date posted on the calendar yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Withdrew my A, hoping it goes to one of you incredible applicants!!

Reactions: 5 users
Also withdrew my A here earlier which was tough. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone give any insight to what a M-F looks like for an M1, schedule wise? Ty in advance!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if there's an accepted students FB / groupme? I've seen a lot of people asking but no answers.

Can anyone give any insight to what a M-F looks like for an M1, schedule wise? Ty in advance!
Each thing is booked for 3 hours, doesn't always take that long
Mon: Generally no class (rarely something miscellaneous is scheduled, used as a free day generally)
Tues: In person + virtual Anatomy lab in the morning (not every week), PPCC/doctor class in afternoon (standardized patients, etc)
Wed: Sometimes ISC/science class in morning, PPCC/doctor class in afternoon (miscellaneous like pop health)
Thurs: ISC/science class in morning, CBL (case based learning) in afternoon
Fri: ISC/science class in afternoon

Could be different for incoming class, things change
Lectures are given in video format at least the week before, expected to review before Wed/Thurs, quiz on Fri
ISC/science class generally is reviewing practice questions in small groups/asking faculty questions (most people appreciate this)

For other questions...
You'll see what you need to buy in later emails, I'd just wait - no rush
Abigail Geisinger Scholarship can be a great deal for people that want to stay in the area, Geisinger pays for primary care fairly well, really depends on your needs for location. One nice perk is with how it's currently set up you can back out later anyway if you'd like.
White coat ceremony has been weird with scheduling during COVID - I wouldn't bet on any definitive date just yet (but likely around the first week if things are okay)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just turned down my acceptance here after getting off waitlist at another school. Best of luck!

Reactions: 4 users
is there a "last week of possible WL movement" so I know when to give my hopes up?

Reactions: 1 user
Just got the A today! Interviewed in January, waitlisted on 4/11.

My kid was accepted elsewhere and has pulled his name off the Geisinger waitlist. Good luck to all of you. The passion of everyone on here and their hard work towards gaining acceptance to either MD or DO schools is exemplary. Hope you all are successful in the end. My kid got one interview his first year and this year was on 8 waiting lists and ended up getting 3 acceptances. Keep the faith!!

Reactions: 3 users
To the accepted people: anyone get accepted without the SJT? I am applying again while sitting on the waitlist and the new PREview thing is $100 :dead: but it is not "required," just wondering how hard or soft a requirement this is for that A

To the accepted people: anyone get accepted without the SJT? I am applying again while sitting on the waitlist and the new PREview thing is $100 :dead: but it is not "required," just wondering how hard or soft a requirement this is for that A
I withdrew but was accepted without taking the SJT

Wow GCSOM is so mean in their email 🥺

Last edited:
They emailed me and said "Congrats, you ate on WL and we are pleased to offer you a spot in the masters program" and subject was "WL status"

They emailed me and said "Congrats, you ate on WL and we are pleased to offer you a spot in the masters program" and subject was "WL status"
Wut. lol. Ugh. I hate med schools trying to profit off of desperate students like this.

They might as well say, "Hey! We aren't going to accept you this year (probably), but if you spend 150K on a Master's program, we'll think about it next year. Cheers!"

And it started off as .. "I am pleased to inform you that your current position on the MD Alternate List at Geisinger...."

Anyone else get it too

LMAO what kind of sick joke... I stopped mid-chew of my delicious crepe to read this email, for no reason :)

Crazy lmao. Got my hopes up for a minute. Is it too late for an acceptance from the alternate list at this point?

I was accepted and didnt take the SJT

does geisinger offer feedback on why an applicant didn't get in?
I have a feeling they won’t because they’re pretty strict w/ asking about waitlist ranking place and limit the # of updates you can send? Haven’t seen explicitly stated somewhere bc I also was thinking of sending an email — doesn’t hurt to ask nicely!

I have a feeling they won’t because they’re pretty strict w/ asking about waitlist ranking place and limit the # of updates you can send? Haven’t seen explicitly stated somewhere bc I also was thinking of sending an email — doesn’t hurt to ask nicely!
I tried to get post-R insight- they gave me nothing. They tried to pawn off their masters shindig, and I wasn’t impressed (one of their adcoms did the same thing at one of the previous AAMC fairs). I mean come on- a 6 figure program that doesn’t guarantee an A or II?!?! Idk what they’re trying to accomplish; is it a matter of profit, recruitment, or trying to gain prestige? Meh.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard anything about waitlist movement recently? I imagine it is traditionally slow and spread out until orientation?

OMG got a call at 1:30PM today from a "no caller ID" number with an acceptance off the WL. This is surreal.....for those wondering.... Interviewed 10/22, sent update on 2/2, waitlisted 4/11, sent second update 4/28

• Wow
omg congrats!! are these phone numbers a PA number? bc I have been not picking up calls from other states

omg congrats!! are these phone numbers a PA number? bc I have been not picking up calls from other states
I couldn’t tell bc all it said was “no caller Id”. Very weird. I couldn’t even like call back so had to wait until they called again. They did leave a message tho!