2020-2021 Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey! I'm a current M1 here, and to my knowledge, there isn't a quota for honors or near-honors. They don't curve, so anyone who gets a pre-specified grade or above gets H/NH. Hope that helps.

Also, regarding preclinical grades... I'd keep in mind that a majority of schools with P/F actually do keep track of internal ranking..

When I committed to Carver, the grading wasn't that big of a deal because of this. I knew lots of schools keep internal ranking anyway.

Also, with Step1 being P/F, preclinical grades may become more important.. who knows. just my 2 cents! :)
How do you feel about the exam schedule, if you don't mind me asking? Looking at the schedule Carver posted online, it looks as if there's an exam almost every week. Do you still feel as if you have enough time to breath/relax?

Members don't see this ad.

How do you feel about the exam schedule, if you don't mind me asking? Looking at the schedule Carver posted online, it looks as if there's an exam almost every week. Do you still feel as if you have enough time to breath/relax?
I can chime in here. It is true that you will have an exam most Friday's. This was a challenge in the first semester in particular when there's a stretch of 8 weeks with an exam every week. After you get through that, however, things get much more manageable. Second semester so far has been much more forgiving in terms of having 'off weeks'. You'll learn to really appreciate those weekends where you don't have an exam the following Friday. But, in the end even exam weeks still allow you to have time for relaxation if you make time for it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@Zen Arcade Do you like that the Step 1 for Carver is in the middle of year 3 or would you have preferred it to be earlier?
I think now that Step 1 is P/F, dedicated during 3rd year doesn't make as much sense. I really do hope they move things around a little for our class or at least give us an option to move some of that dedicated time later to study for step 2. There certainly is an advantage to taking step 1 closer to step 2 because there is quite a bit of overlap in material, so taking during 3rd year isn't inherently bad. However, my understanding is that we don't get ANY dedicated time for step 2 (M3/M4s correct me if I'm wrong about this), which is concerning. Step 2 now arguably will have even more weight than step 1 ever did because before if you did poorly on step 1 you could redeem yourself with step 2. Now Step 2 is the sole metric residencies rely on as far as standardized scores go. I hope Carver allows more flexibility for this as it seems like most schools give you at least 2 weeks for step 2. Traditionally Iowa has scored about the nationwide average on Step 2 and I think that could be improved if they gave us more blocked off study time. Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone else get an email regarding being on the waitlist for a potential scholarship from Carver's financial aid office? They said they haven't sent my financial aid offer yet because of this waitlist, but I already see an aid offer on my UI account? So I was wondering if this is just an email everyone gets, and I'm OOS and I thought only IS people got scholarships.

I think now that Step 1 is P/F, dedicated during 3rd year doesn't make as much sense. I really do hope they move things around a little for our class or at least give us an option to move some of that dedicated time later to study for step 2. There certainly is an advantage to taking step 1 closer to step 2 because there is quite a bit of overlap in material, so taking during 3rd year isn't inherently bad. However, my understanding is that we don't get ANY dedicated time for step 2 (M3/M4s correct me if I'm wrong about this), which is concerning. Step 2 now arguably will have even more weight than step 1 ever did because before if you did poorly on step 1 you could redeem yourself with step 2. Now Step 2 is the sole metric residencies rely on as far as standardized scores go. I hope Carver allows more flexibility for this as it seems like most schools give you at least 2 weeks for step 2. Traditionally Iowa has scored about the nationwide average on Step 2 and I think that could be improved if they gave us more blocked off study time. Hope that helps!
Just to clarify, you get to use your flex schedule time for Step 2. Everyone I know takes 2-4 weeks. I took 4 weeks off and had about 3.5 weeks for study. Everyone gets 16 weeks of flex scheduling for Step 2, residency interviews, conferences, personal events, etc. You have to take at least 2 weeks off at a time because all advanced clerkships are 2 or 4 weeks long. Some core clerkships are 6 weeks. Hope this lowers the stress about finding time to study for Step 2!

Just to clarify, you get to use your flex schedule time for Step 2. Everyone I know takes 2-4 weeks. I took 4 weeks off and had about 3.5 weeks for study. Everyone gets 16 weeks of flex scheduling for Step 2, residency interviews, conferences, personal events, etc. You have to take at least 2 weeks off at a time because all advanced clerkships are 2 or 4 weeks long. Some core clerkships are 6 weeks. Hope this lowers the stress about finding time to study for Step 2!
Good to know! Thanks!! I wish they would explain this to us before clinicals

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone else get an email regarding being on the waitlist for a potential scholarship from Carver's financial aid office? They said they haven't sent my financial aid offer yet because of this waitlist, but I already see an aid offer on my UI account? So I was wondering if this is just an email everyone gets, and I'm OOS and I thought only IS people got scholarship
On the interview day, they stated most scholarships go to OOS people to try to make it more equal to IS tuition. They also mentioned not to worry if people haven't been offered aid yet, because a lot of times that means the school is waiting on more $ to be distributed. I assume for you that you may receive more aid in the future, depending on the waitlist

Just an IS waitlist update for any lurkers or future viewers, but I’ve moved from #17-> #9 up to the first traffic day, though there’s been no movement today specifically.

Reactions: 5 users
Just an IS waitlist update for any lurkers or future viewers, but I’ve moved from #17-> #9 up to the first traffic day, though there’s been no movement today specifically.
Omg AMAZING
Can we manifest this movement for OOS too haha

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Why did you withdraw?? I love Carver's reputation but nervous about grading. I also got accepted to a p/f school but not well known at all.
I also loved Carver and it’s where I thought I would be attending for most of this cycle. I ended up withdrawing because I was able to take out fewer loans at a school with P/F grading so the stars aligned in that direction. I haven’t heard that non-P/F grading at Carver has been difficult for students (compared to other schools where I definitely got the impression that grading was their biggest stress) but I’d maybe reach out to some students about it if you’re torn.

Why did you withdraw?? I love Carver's reputation but nervous about grading. I also got accepted to a p/f school but not well known at all.
I also loved Carver and it’s where I thought I would be attending for most of this cycle. I ended up withdrawing because I was able to take out fewer loans at a school with P/F grading so the stars aligned in that direction. I haven’t heard that non-P/F grading at Carver has been difficult for students (compared to other schools where I definitely got the impression that grading was their biggest stress) but I’d maybe reach out to some students about it if you’re torn.
Hello! M1 at carver that likes procrastinating! If you have any questions feel free to message me. Regarding grading, initially it was stressful because you are used to getting straight As and being at the top of your class as a pre-med, but I don't stress about that too much anymore. After talking to a few residency directors it kinda calmed me down because they all said that they don't care about preclinicals. They wouldn't use preclinicals to rank or compare candidates because you can't really use that for comparison when it is not consistent between schools. Some schools are p/f and some schools aren't so it wouldn't be fair to use that. The only thing that matters is doing well in clinicals especially in the field you are interested in. I believe most, or all schools grade clinicals so that is something they can use to compare (but step 2 will probably have more emphasis). M4s that matched that I talked to also said the same thing that preclinicals is the last thing you need to worry about. Yes, grades in school kinda matter more with step1 pass fail, but it is mainly clinical grades that matter and step 2.
TL;DR Carver is an amazing school and I love it here! Don't let p/f deter you from going here. IMO go where you have to pay the least amount and where you think you would be happiest.

Hey all! I am currently on the IS alternate list. I started at #25 and have moved up to #16 since then. I have heard that this is a pretty good spot to be but I was wondering if anyone here had more insight into my placement? I know that last year a coworker of mine got in off of the waitlist mid-June and he started at #23

Moved five spots on the OOS waitlist! Started in the thirties :)

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted off the IS waitlist today! Started at #17!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
moved 8 spots within 4 hours today omg (30s --> 20s)

edit: OOS

moved 8 spots within 4 hours today omg (30s --> 20s)

edit: OOS
This is a crazy year! I have moved a lot too! (Similar to you!). Last year, admissions told me that only 10 spots moved total OOS! I feel like this year will be different since more people accepted more interviews so more movement in the end (or maybe wishful thinking)

• Wow
So now is there a lot more movement still on waitlists or is April 30th like the main day for movement?

Also is there ever movement on the weekends or does the admissions team have to input something before we see movement?

Last edited:
So now is there a lot more movement still on waitlists or is April 30th like the main day for movement?
Also is there ever movement on the weekends or does the admissions team have to input something before we see movement?
Most of the movement is on April 30th and goes on for about a week so until about May 7th. After that it trickles a few spots in the summer.
WL movement is automatic. As soon as someone drops, the system notifies the next person so nobody is manually entering anything.

Just got the acceptance email! Started at #17 in the OOS waitlist! So beyond grateful and ecstatic! Hoping that everyone else in the WL hears good news soon too!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Just got the acceptance email! Started at #17 in the OOS waitlist! So beyond grateful and ecstatic! Hoping that everyone else in the WL hears good news soon too!
Congratulations!

How much time do they give you to make a decision?

Congrats! I started at 20 on OOS and now am #2 so fingers crossed!!

Currently #6 on the IS list after starting at #25. Hopefully this is a good spot! It seems to be after talking with a few people.

Reactions: 4 users
Currently #6 on the IS list after starting at #25. Hopefully this is a good spot! It seems to be after talking with a few people.
I am well within the top 10 as an OOS person. Hoping that is a good sign, too.

For future readers, I have moved over 15 spots in the last week after starting in the upper 20s.

I feel like top 10 is a good sign for either list at the moment.

I'm just hoping for some quick movement, we've all been waiting a heck of a long time and now we're so close haha

Just withdrew from IOWA; congratulations to runner333 for your acceptance, I am currently #1 on OOS waitlist but after further consideration I will go to the school that is cheaper and much closer to family . I wish you all the best.

Just withdrew from IOWA; congratulations to runner333 for your acceptance, I am currently #1 on OOS waitlist but after further consideration I will go to the school that is cheaper and much closer to family . I wish you all the best.
Lower cost and, especially, support system importance cannot be overstated. I would've made the same choice.

Hi there! Question for current students. What is the scene of people ages 23-28 in Iowa City? It worries me slightly that i might start to feel trapped in a bubble and not able to make any friends outside of the med school class. But then again maybe this is not a bad thing? Trying to decide between here and a larger city and any thoughts would be appreciated

Hi there! Question for current students. What is the scene of people ages 23-28 in Iowa City? It worries me slightly that i might start to feel trapped in a bubble and not able to make any friends outside of the med school class. But then again maybe this is not a bad thing? Trying to decide between here and a larger city and any thoughts would be appreciated
Iowa City is basically a large college town, so there certainly isn't a shortage of people in that age range. There are many bars, shops, restaurants, and a couple of music venues to explore. Outside of downtown there is a lot of beautiful parks and 'outdoors' things to do. You'd be surprised, Iowa City actually has great hiking, mountain biking, beaches, etc. within a 10-15 min drive. Honestly, you get a lot of what you usually get in a bigger city, I wouldn't worry too much about feeling trapped unless you get tired of anything that is smaller than Chicago. Iowa City is not empty by any means.

Not a current student (recently accepted), but have been in Iowa City for like 5 years or so. I don't know how familiar you are with Iowa or Iowans, but its safe to assume that when you make friends, their friends are your friends. Source: am an Iowan.

Edit: and then I'll tack on a +1 to what @Zen Arcade said there.

Reactions: 4 users
No major update here. Just wishing all of my fellow alternate-list folks a very good evening.

• Care
  • Love
thoughts on being in the lower-teens OOS? deciding if i should take a gap year job or not

Any current applicants or students I could talk to? Low stat, in state applicant with some questions

OOS waitlist here, currently in the teens. Does anyone know what the process for deferment looks like or if it's a good idea? If I am accepted in July, I don't know if I can feasibly arrange a decent living situation, sort out financial aid, etc. in less than a month...

I am sure this has been asked in the thread, but I do not feel like looking haha...

What percent of Carver's pre-clinical curriculum has mandatory attendence during a typical week? And what times of the day? I have not seen a typical weekly schedule.

1620410695885.png

1620410721070.png

This is from the Carver Second Look Day guide. I'm not sure about the mandatory attendance part, maybe some current students can answer, as well as to answer if their weeks actually look like the schedule above?

• Love