2020-2021 Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can see mine now too! Looks like it was added three days ago.

Members don't see this ad.

So if Iowa is giving you a Federal Direct Loan (Unsubsidized, Stafford, PLUS), does that mean they've already considered you for a merit-based scholarship, and then passed you over for it?

So if Iowa is giving you a Federal Direct Loan (Unsubsidized, Stafford, PLUS), does that mean they've already considered you for a merit-based scholarship, and then passed you over for it?
I think that means you didn't qualify for their internal scholarships and grants. I got one grant and it showed up on the page in addition to listing the loans to cover the rest. But you can still apply for external loans and scholarships!

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't get an email, but I just checked and my offer is available on MyUI

ETA: Also, they're really generous with financial aid for OOS students! I was really pleasantly surprised.
Oh thank God. I am not accepted but if I do end up being accepted, this is great to hear.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh thank God. I am not accepted but if I do end up being accepted, this is great to hear.
I doubt the class is full. They still have yet to pull the As out of the final pool. We shouldn't worry unless we are put on the WL

I'm pretty sure the financial aid guy said they are always adding more scholarships, so if nothing shows up in February it doesn't mean you won't get a scholarship. But you could reach out to the financial aid people for clarification

Is there an external scholarship portal for graduate students? i only see the portal for undegrad

Is there an external scholarship portal for graduate students? i only see the portal for undegrad
On MyUI, you should be able to select the Fall 2021 semester on the Financial Aid Offer page.

Reactions: 1 users
I emailed them this week and they said the financial aid packages are NOT finalized until the spring, late March to early April-ish. You could still receive a scholarship even if your financial aid package just lists loans right now.

Reactions: 2 users
I emailed them this week and they said the financial aid packages are NOT finalized until the spring, late March to early April-ish. You could still receive a scholarship even if your financial aid package just lists loans right now.
Is it likely final pool people might hear about acceptances this week?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it likely final pool people might hear about acceptances this week?
Their 5 week timeline they mentioned in their email is on Wednesday, but I agree with above it will probably go a bit longer into next week.

My body knows it’s close because I’m starting to have nightmares of rejection emails lol

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Does everyone hear at the same time for the final pool information?

Their 5 week timeline they mentioned in their email is on Wednesday, but I agree with above it will probably go a bit longer into next week.

My body knows it’s close because I’m starting to have nightmares of rejection emails lol
For the final pool, do they actually give rejections as decisions or just give a low waitlist priority?

Final pool announcements from the previous years:

2020: 11th - Wednesday
2019: 5th - Tuesday
2018: 6th - Tuesday
2017: 8th - Wednesday
2016: 8th - Tuesday
2015: 3rd - Tuesday

I went through the previous threads fast, so I might have missed something. Overall, it seems like it's on Tuesdays or Wednesdays around the first week of March. Last year was somewhat of an exception since the first of March took place on a Sunday (although this also happened in 2015 on the 3rd). Since the first of March (today) is a Monday this year, it's possible that we won't see decisions until next week.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users

I went through the previous threads fast, so I might have missed something. Overall, it seems like it's on Tuesdays or Wednesdays around the first week of March. Last year was somewhat of an exception since the first of March took place on a Sunday (although this also happened in 2015 on the 3rd). Since the first of March (today) is a Monday this year, it's possible that we won't see decisions until next week.
This is perfect. Thank you! Looks like next Tuesday or Wednesday is going to be it guys.

Last year might have been delayed due to COVID as well!! Thank you for finding this info :,)

Glad to see I’m not the only one freaking out while waiting, we’re so close! If people are waitlisted on final pool day are they able to see the rank right away?

Glad to see I’m not the only one freaking out while waiting, we’re so close! If people are waitlisted on final pool day are they able to see the rank right away?
Yes you’re told what rank you have if you’re waitlisted. I think they rank every applicant and the top ones get accepted until the class is filled, then two waitlists are created with the next 50 IS applicants on a WL and 100 OOS on their own WL. Everyone ranked lower would be rejected

Reactions: 8 users
Yes you’re told what rank you have if you’re waitlisted. I think they rank every applicant and the top ones get accepted until the class is filled, then two waitlists are created with the next 50 IS applicants on a WL and 100 OOS on their own WL. Everyone ranked lower would be rejected
This makes a lot of sense now, thanks for explaining!

To add to this, I'll add the final pool timelines for each year:

2020: 5 weeks, 6 days.
2019: 6 weeks, 4 days.
2018: 6 weeks, 6 days.
2017: 6 weeks, 6 days.
2016: 6 weeks, 6 days.
2015: 6 weeks, 5 days.

So contrary to my expectation, last year's final pool was actually evaluated in a shorter timeline compared to each of the previous years listed. I also understand that the results are likely to come next week anyway, I just thought this statistic would be interesting to see.

Reactions: 9 users
To add to this, I'll add the final pool timelines for each year:

2020: 5 weeks, 6 days.
2019: 6 weeks, 4 days.
2018: 6 weeks, 6 days.
2017: 6 weeks, 6 days.
2016: 6 weeks, 6 days.
2015: 6 weeks, 5 days.

So contrary to my expectation, last year's final pool was actually evaluated in a shorter timeline compared to each of the previous years listed. I also understand that the results are likely to come next week anyway, I just thought this statistic would be interesting to see.
Did you see what approximately what time the decisions are sent out?

Not sure how to access that information, I am only able to see dates on the posts.

Edit: Checked the four previous years, their decisions were uploaded ~11-12pm PST and results were notified within the next hour by the looks of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I checked back in my email and last year I got notified of my final pool result at 11:25am CST

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone else love apartment shopping in Iowa city while pretending they're not freaking out over the possibility of a big fat R next week?

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Does anyone else love apartment shopping in Iowa city while pretending they're not freaking out over the possibility of a big fat R next week?
I am going to hold off on apartments until I find out the final verdict lol

So we should expected final pool results either on Tuesday or Wednesday next week???

I am going to hold off on apartments until I find out the final verdict lol
Then you have a better control of your neuroticism than I do lol. All I can say is it passes the down time at work with low patient volumes

• Haha
I liked to pretend apartment hunting was interview prep lol and yes I already know what apartment I want in Iowa City

I liked to pretend apartment hunting was interview prep lol and yes I already know what apartment I want in Iowa City
This reminds me of the SNL Zillow sketch a couple weeks ago lol

i know we kind of already knew this, but just got further confirmation from adcom saying decisions will be coming out next week for sure!

Reactions: 9 users
Thanks for calling! Did you ask exactly which day?
i actually had emailed them about the MPH program and they just included the information in the email itself saying "I'm sure you already know, but decisions will be coming out next week." it was pretty funny but no they didn't say what day :(

Reactions: 3 users
i actually had emailed them about the MPH program and they just included the information in the email itself saying "I'm sure you already know, but decisions will be coming out next week." it was pretty funny but no they didn't say what day :(
Can you ask them to confirm that we'll all be getting acceptances next week?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
On my drive home from work today I started fantasizing about the A and calling my family to tell them, then reality hit that I may get a big fat R :(

ETA the Mulaney quote because I think about med school every goddam day. (Sorry the image is blurry, it’s clear if you click on it)

Attachments

• C6A6E5D1-F17F-48AC-A872-6BE28C34C319.jpeg
    C6A6E5D1-F17F-48AC-A872-6BE28C34C319.jpeg
    15 KB · Views: 87
Reactions: 5 users
On my drive home from work today I started fantasizing about the A and calling my family to tell them, then reality hit that I may get a big fat R :(
Whatever the result will be, it will not change the fact that you have amazing resilience to go through this process multiple times. To be honest, if they don’t give us an acceptance, it is their loss.

Whatever the result will be, it will not change the fact that you have amazing resilience to go through this process multiple times. To be honest, if they don’t give us an acceptance, it is their loss.
I am mentally preparing myself for an R so it hurts less, haha.

Out of pure curiosity, if I do get an R, I wonder if they will tell me what place I got in the final pool since they rank literally everyone :laugh: :laugh:

Calling admissions and demanding they tell us the decisions date like
FCCADBEC-7E67-44B3-A3DE-5B6D3E31CD3A.gif

• Haha
I am mentally preparing myself for an R so it hurts less, haha.

Out of pure curiosity, if I do get an R, I wonder if they will tell me what place I got in the final pool since they rank literally everyone :laugh: :laugh:

As someone who got the R last year they just leave it at that lol

• Haha